• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoe problem

taustad

Time of past OR future Camino
25/09/2022
Hello all.

I am now just 12 days away from starting the pilgrimage to Santiago, and I'm now in the final preparations of getting all my equipment ready.

I use Salomon X Crest hiking shoes. They are great shoes. However, when I walk long distance in them the soles of my feet start to hurt, and cramp up. I suspect it is because the sole of the shoe is quite stiff, not allowing for much movement of the sole. Is this something that happens to all pilgrims as you start to walk longer distances? Do you have to acclimate your body in some sense? Or is the shoes the problem?

I have some other hiking shoes which are more like hiking boots, and soles are not so stiff. I am thinking about switching to those instead. However, they are quite heavy and are a bit more worn out than my Salomon's. Other alternative is more plain running shoes, which doesn't have great grip or ankle support.

Have also considered to get brand new ones, but might be a bit too late considering I need to walk them in before I start. Any thoughts?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
when I walk long distance in them the soles of my feet start to hurt, and cramp up. I suspect it is because the sole of the shoe is quite stiff, not allowing for much movement of the sole.
There is no easy answer! My foot is prone to cramping after I walk 10 km with too flexible a sole!

Have you tried new inner soles - perhaps one of the supportive Super Feet type?

I agree that it is late to consider a new model of shoe. How old or how many km do your Salomons have? After a certain point (as little as 500 km for regular running shoes), the cushioning breaks down. Maybe you need a new pair of the same shoe.

Other alternative is more plain running shoes, which doesn't have great grip or ankle support.
Grip can be important at times, but ankle support might not - opinions vary on this, but I think the most common opinion these days is that ankle support doesn't come from a low shoe or boot.

I hate to suggest this - because of bulk and weight - but perhaps you should consider taking the running shoes as your second pair.

Hello all.

I am now just 12 days away from starting the pilgrimage to Santiago, and I'm now in the final preparations of getting all my equipment ready.

I use Salomon X Crest hiking shoes. They are great shoes. However, when I walk long distance in them the soles of my feet start to hurt, and cramp up. I suspect it is because the sole of the shoe is quite stiff, not allowing for much movement of the sole. Is this something that happens to all pilgrims as you start to walk longer distances? Do you have to acclimate your body in some sense? Or is the shoes the problem?

I have some other hiking shoes which are more like hiking boots, and soles are not so stiff. I am thinking about switching to those instead. However, they are quite heavy and are a bit more worn out than my Salomon's. Other alternative is more plain running shoes, which doesn't have great grip or ankle support.

Have also considered to get brand new ones, but might be a bit too late considering I need to walk them in before I start. Any thoughts?
My preference after walking several Caminos is to wear Trail Runners... Hiking shoes can be rigid and hard, with the various surface types you will encounter, in my opinion trail runners with good cushioning are ideal and require no breaking in... My recent trail runners are Hokas... I also wear Asics both have great cushioning and are lightweight and also breathable.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Shoes are really dependent upon the individual. What works for one does not work for too many others to count and vice versa.
It is certainly not too late to buy a new pair of the right pair of shoes for you. This is not hiking in the traditional sense. You will walk pavement, cobble, mud, dirt - but mostly good walking paths. A sturdy boot is too much for most individuals. Go today to a good hiking/walking equipment store with a wide selection of shoes/boots. Let them know what you will be doing and try on a wide selection of shoes.
I really appreciate the advice above regarding wearing trail runners. You will find what you need but going sooner will be better for you to begin wearing them and removing the concern from the worry list.

Last edited:
Try to replace the insole with something more supportive. So far the best one I’ve found is Currex insole. Go to their website, their AI system will ask a few questions, and ask you to take different shots of your legs and feet (to see the arch) and give you the right product… if time is short, in the UK it’s available on Amazon for next day prime delivery!

Currex makes insoles for hiking, running, cycling, football…. So each type is designed with the intended sport in mind…

And no, I’m not paid/sponsored by them sadly!

There is no easy answer! My foot is prone to cramping after I walk 10 km with too flexible a sole!

Have you tried new inner soles - perhaps one of the supportive Super Feet type?

I agree that it is late to consider a new model of shoe. How old or how many km do your Salomons have? After a certain point (as little as 500 km for regular running shoes), the cushioning breaks down. Maybe you need a new pair of the same shoe.

Grip can be important at times, but ankle support might not - opinions vary on this, but I think the most common opinion these days is that ankle support doesn't come from a low shoe or boot.

I hate to suggest this - because of bulk and weight - but perhaps you should consider taking the running shoes as your second pair.

Ok, I see. I have not tried those, but I will try and stop by a sports store today and try some new soles. Thanks for the advice :) I might even get a second pair of trail runners if they still don't feel right. I bought them a couple of years back, have been walking in em probably over 500 km. So maybe it is time to get some new ones.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My preference after walking several Caminos is to wear Trail Runners... Hiking shoes can be rigid and hard, with the various surface types you will encounter, in my opinion trail runners with good cushioning are ideal and require no breaking in... My recent trail runners are Hokas... I also wear Asics both have great cushioning and are lightweight and also breathable.

Great advice, thanks :) do you have any specific trail runners you'd recommend? and do you always bring a second pair with you?

Shoes are really dependent upon the individual. What works for one does not work for too many others to count and vice versa.
It is certainly not to late to buy a new pair of the right shoes. This is not hiking in the traditional sense. You will walk pavement, cobble, mud, dirt - and mostly good walking path. A sturdy boot is too much for most individuals. Go today to a good equipment store with a wide selection of shoes/boots. Let them know what you will be doing and try on a wide selection of shoes.
I really appreciate the advice above is wearing trail runners. You will find what you need, but going sooner will be better for you to begin wearing and removing it from the worry list.
Great, I'm glad it's not too late to get some new ones. I will stop by a sports store today and try on some different types of shoes. Are there any specific ones you'd recommend?

Try to replace the insole with something more supportive. So far the best one I’ve found is Currex insole. Go to their website, their AI system will ask a few questions, and ask you to take different shots of your legs and feet (to see the arch) and give you the right product… if time is short, in the UK it’s available on Amazon for next day prime delivery!

Currex makes insoles for hiking, running, cycling, football…. So each type is designed with the intended sport in mind…

And no, I’m not paid/sponsored by them sadly!
Thanks, I will have a look. I may not have time to order them and get them delivered to Norway in time. But I will check if I can find something similar over here.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great advice, thanks :) do you have any specific trail runners you'd recommend? and do you always bring a second pair with you?
Hoka Speedgoat 4... I've worn these on my last 2 caminos and they are Fantastic... They are like walking on air... No, I don't carry a second pair, for evenings I wear sandals... great to air the feet after a day of walking.

I use Salomon X Crest hiking shoes. They are great shoes. However, when I walk long distance in them the soles of my feet start to hurt, and cramp up.

IMO If you have problems already, it will only get worse when you are walking day after day. Ditch the pain!

On my first camino, wearing lovely expensive hiking boots, I got internal pains in my feet. It was horrendous. I had to stop every few steps to curl and uncurl my toes. On returning to Australia I saw a university trained podiatrist and her first reaction was - they are too stiff for your feet, you need flexibility. She put me onto ASICs which I wore happily on several caminos (and then changed to sandals).

Others (see the comment by @C clearly) have problems with shoes that are too flexible. But if you have been happy up to now in your other athletic shoes, that does not seem to be the problem.

I'd suggest trying something like Hoka, New Balance or ASIC (or a similar Norwegian brand).

There really is no need for hiking boots on the Camino Francés.

I am glad to see you are wearing your gear before you leave. I had the same issue finding what would work. I ended up with keens (non waterproof)& “sole” footbeds. Just like a running shoe no break in period.

The only issue I have with keens is if your going to walk from France to the ocean they will be completely worn out with holes in the bottom. But any shoe with vibram soles I found we’re just like you describe very hard, especially on pavement.

Buen Camino
Keith

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello all.

When i hear your story It remembers me on myself.
On my experience the camino is also a way of suffering, but also of recovering and forgetting until the next morning.
My typical day.
Slept well and wake up with some stiff ankles.
Start to walk and run smoothly after 15min.
2hours or 8 to 10km first rest .
The next 10km increased burning soles.
Glad to reach 25km.
Wash, Shower , dine, sleep......
You as a young guy will have some advantages.

Consider bringing hiking sandals as your 2nd pair (Keens or the like). That was a game-changer for my husband when he bought them in Burgos. He ended up wearing them about half the time for the remainder of the trip, and nearly all the time once we got to Galicia and the trail became better-traveled.

They can be worn in the shower as they'll dry fast, and if your feet just need a break, they're sturdy enough for all but the toughest, rockiest parts of the Camino.

You won't be the only one on the trail wearing sandals with your hiking shoes dangling on your pack behind you.

Hello all.

Just leave them at home. Buy HOKA speedgoat 5.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ok, I see. I have not tried those, but I will try and stop by a sports store today and try some new soles. Thanks for the advice :) I might even get a second pair of trail runners if they still don't feel right. I bought them a couple of years back, have been walking in em probably over 500 km. So maybe it is time to get some new ones.
Fwiw, I'm halfway thru del Norte today, using Salomon SenseRide (it's a women's trail runner). While your experience may vary, I'll say that they've been super for me. I do use poles, especially on downhills, to reduce strike impact and probability of missteps leading to sprains. I'm a big fan of low-height shoes for trails, and use them on the Appalachian Trail in the States.

I have walked with Brooks Cascadias for all 6 (soon to be 7) caminos. My first camino I went to a running store and the owner happened to be the a world class ultra marathoner. So were both of the people working there. Before my friend who took me could finish the sentence that I was walking the Camino de Santiago they all pointed to the Cascadias. I have walked over 6000k and have had 5 blisters. I think from walking to far a few times on consecutive days. Now that I walk between 20-25k I never get blisters anymore. My wife and I both have Hoka's also. I have a pair of Speedgoats. They have even more cushion then the Cascadias but I will not switch. I think you should go really quickly to a good store that has a variety. I wear a size larger and wider as your foot will definitely expand. Many go 1/2 a size larger. These are all personal decisions. I do not think that walking any of the "main" caminos, Frances, Norte, Primitivo or Portugues you need to have a hiking boot. It is all a personal preference. My unscientific observations of pilgrims tell me that more people get more blisters and worse looking blisters with boots over trail runners. This is about as scientific as my eyesight and what I see in front of me. Also you do not need a second pair of trail runners. Get a pair of sandals or light clogs or even flip flops as your second pair. If it rains stuff newspaper in your shoes as soon as you get to the albergue. Do it again before you go to sleep and your shoes will be dry in the morning. You do not need to break in trail runners. Wear them for a few days and see train with them to see if they rub etc.
Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hoka Speedgoat 4... I've worn these on my last 2 caminos and they are Fantastic... They are like walking on air... No, I don't carry a second pair, for evenings I wear sandals... great to air the feet after a day of walking.
I agree. I know a lot of pilgrims take a 2nd pair of hiking/walking shoes. For me, it was best to have a pair of light weight, cool, comfortable shoes to wear when I finished walking. And I would definitely not want to have 2 extra pairs of shoes!

On my first Camino I met Patrick, from Switzerland, who was on his 13th Camino and he did his 30km daily in flip flops. He told me that he used to walk in boots, but one day the sole fell off his boot and the only thing he had in his old French Army sac a dos was a pair of flip flops. From that day one he only wore flip flops. Whatever you're comfortable in.

So many shoe opinions!! It’s so important to remember that everyone has different feet and foot issues. Some do better with a stiff sole. Others need the flexibility of a runner. Cramping could be from either. Some want ankle support, others don’t. Etc. That said, if your feet are cramping with long distances in the shoes you have, they will not work. I’m in a similar situation as my well-loved hikers are now too tight and I am having to find replacements with my 3rd Camino only 3weeks away.

What to do? If one of your other shoes is good for long-distance without pain, take those. The Camino is not a real hike. It’s a walk. But you are walking long distances daily. That’s the issue. My daughter did it in canvas sneakers. I’ve done some in sandals. Whatever is comfortable for you works. I agree with the suggestion to take open toed sandals as an alternative and for apres hike.

As for me: I’ve done a great deal of research for my particular foot shape/issues and am opting to try 3 prs that have reviews stating they needed no break-in. We’ll see! I’ll have my sandals as back-up and my fingers crossed.

BTW. If you decide to buy new and break them in before you go, don’t go with a zero-drop version unless that’s what you are used to. Many people adore them. But they do take getting used to. And you don’t have time for that.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello all.

Try HOKA sneakers
A lot of cushion
They have recovery flip flops as well

It is certainly not to late to buy a new pair of the right shoes. This is not hiking in the traditional sense. You will walk pavement, cobble, mud, dirt - and mostly good walking path. A sturdy boot is too much for most individuals. Go today to a good equipment store with a wide selection of shoes/boots. Let them know what you will be doing and try on a wide selection of shoes.
I really appreciate the advice above is wearing trail runners. You will find what you need, but going sooner will be better for you to begin wearing and removing it from the worry list.

This is good advice.
Normally we spend weeks training in our selected footwear to get used to them.
But...........
For my first three Caminos I wore a pair of boots that were the first ones I tried on and they felt great!

Hasn't happened again sadly.
I have tried about 20 different shoes, bought 4 different pairs and still not found the ones I want to use next time.........

So my point?
Be prepared to go with what you have. Maybe adding inserts or something.
By all means go to a really good store and try on lots of others, but I would ONLY get a new pair if they felt PERFECT, and you were able to use them right away.

Of course modern shoes don't need to be 'broken in'.
It's more that our feet need to get used to them..........

Good luck

I agree. I know a lot of pilgrims take a 2nd pair of hiking/walking shoes. For me, it was best to have a pair of light weight, cool, comfortable shoes to wear when I finished walking. And I would definitely not want to have 2 extra pairs of shoes!
My kids buy me a pair of Toms loafers. They are super light and comfortable. When I had a blister in 2015 on my heel I was able to wear them for about 12k walking on pavement and gravel. No pain and helped in the healing. I highly recommend them. For me at least. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello all.

Now you did not specify what is a "long distance" but let's assume that is any distance over 30 Km. If that is the case, it is normal for your feet to feel somewhat sore, especially when walking continuously. Cramping up is another story altogether. It is your body telling you that you need to stretch. I recommend that you break up your day into sections. For example, have a drink for breakfast and get walking for an hour or two and then have breakfast. Walk another 2 to 3 hours and the have lunch. Walk an hour or two and then take a break....Actual distances and time depends on the distances between the towns that you are crossing. And as you are walking, periodically stop and do some stretching exercises. At the end of the day, wear spongy flip flops or cushy sandals to allow your feet to breath, dry out, and rest. Before going to bed and when waking up, do some small foot stretching exercises. Look up plantar fasciitis stretches, calf stretches, hamstring stretches...basically look up stretches for runner and that will give you a good idea. Many of the stretches can be done in bed before sleep and when waking up. How baths will also help. Walking with poles will also relieve up to 20% of the impact on your joints but you will also spend up to 20% more in energy... I personally use walking poles. The only time poles become an impediment is when you walk relatively flat surfaces...

Now you did not specify what is a "long distance" but let's assume that is any distance over 30 Km. If that is the case, it is normal for your feet to feel somewhat sore, especially when walking continuously. Cramping up is another story altogether. It is your body telling you that you need to stretch. I recommend that you break up your day into sections. For example, have a drink for breakfast and get walking for an hour or two and then have breakfast. Walk another 2 to 3 hours and the have lunch. Walk an hour or two and then take a break....Actual distances and time depends on the distances between the towns that you are crossing. And as you are walking, periodically stop and do some stretching exercises. At the end of the day, wear spongy flip flops or cushy sandals to allow your feet to breath, dry out, and rest. Before going to bed and when waking up, do some small foot stretching exercises. Look up plantar fasciitis stretches, calf stretches, hamstring stretches...basically look up stretches for runner and that will give you a good idea. Many of the stretches can be done in bed before sleep and when waking up. How baths will also help. Walking with poles will also relieve up to 20% of the impact on your joints but you will also spend up to 20% more in energy... I personally use walking poles. The only time poles become an impediment is when you walk relatively flat surfaces...
I only would add - magnesium can help with cramping - ankle exercises will help strengthen all the muscles in the feet and legs associated with walking - and I love poles even on flat surfaces where I tend to use them in the Nordic walking style.

This is good advice.
Normally we spend weeks training in our selected footwear to get used to them.
But...........
For my first three Caminos I wore a pair of boots that were the first ones I tried on and they felt great!

Hasn't happened again sadly.
I have tried about 20 different shoes, bought 4 different pairs and still not found the ones I want to use next time.........

So my point?
Be prepared to go with what you have. Maybe adding inserts or something.
By all means go to a really good store and try on lots of others, but I would ONLY get a new pair if they felt PERFECT, and you were able to use them right away.

Of course modern shoes don't need to be 'broken in'.
It's more that our feet need to get used to them..........

Good luck
Thanks, this is good advice. I went to a shoe store yesterday and got some new Salomon track runners. They felt nearly perfect on the foot. So now I have two pairs, and also an extra pair of orthopedic soles. So I'm feeling a lot more confident about it now.

So many shoe opinions!! It’s so important to remember that everyone has different feet and foot issues. Some do better with a stiff sole. Others need the flexibility of a runner. Cramping could be from either. Some want ankle support, others don’t. Etc. That said, if your feet are cramping with long distances in the shoes you have, they will not work. I’m in a similar situation as my well-loved hikers are now too tight and I am having to find replacements with my 3rd Camino only 3weeks away.

What to do? If one of your other shoes is good for long-distance without pain, take those. The Camino is not a real hike. It’s a walk. But you are walking long distances daily. That’s the issue. My daughter did it in canvas sneakers. I’ve done some in sandals. Whatever is comfortable for you works. I agree with the suggestion to take open toed sandals as an alternative and for apres hike.

As for me: I’ve done a great deal of research for my particular foot shape/issues and am opting to try 3 prs that have reviews stating they needed no break-in. We’ll see! I’ll have my sandals as back-up and my fingers crossed.

BTW. If you decide to buy new and break them in before you go, don’t go with a zero-drop version unless that’s what you are used to. Many people adore them. But they do take getting used to. And you don’t have time for that.
Thanks for the advice! I went and got some new Salomon track runners yesterday. They feel a lot more comfortable for walking long distances. Will try them out today for a 25k walk with full equipment. I don't believe they had any drop, so I guess I don't need to walk them in much.

I have walked with Brooks Cascadias for all 6 (soon to be 7) caminos. My first camino I went to a running store and the owner happened to be the a world class ultra marathoner. So were both of the people working there. Before my friend who took me could finish the sentence that I was walking the Camino de Santiago they all pointed to the Cascadias. I have walked over 6000k and have had 5 blisters. I think from walking to far a few times on consecutive days. Now that I walk between 20-25k I never get blisters anymore. My wife and I both have Hoka's also. I have a pair of Speedgoats. They have even more cushion then the Cascadias but I will not switch. I think you should go really quickly to a good store that has a variety. I wear a size larger and wider as your foot will definitely expand. Many go 1/2 a size larger. These are all personal decisions. I do not think that walking any of the "main" caminos, Frances, Norte, Primitivo or Portugues you need to have a hiking boot. It is all a personal preference. My unscientific observations of pilgrims tell me that more people get more blisters and worse looking blisters with boots over trail runners. This is about as scientific as my eyesight and what I see in front of me. Also you do not need a second pair of trail runners. Get a pair of sandals or light clogs or even flip flops as your second pair. If it rains stuff newspaper in your shoes as soon as you get to the albergue. Do it again before you go to sleep and your shoes will be dry in the morning. You do not need to break in trail runners. Wear them for a few days and see train with them to see if they rub etc.
Buen Camino
That's great! I went to a store yesterday. Tried some Hokas, but couldn't find the right size. Ended up getting some Salomon track runners. Light weight and fits perfect on the foot. So I think I will stick with those, and get some sandals or flip flops as my second pair.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
IMO If you have problems already, it will only get worse when you are walking day after day. Ditch the pain!

On my first camino, wearing lovely expensive hiking boots, I got internal pains in my feet. It was horrendous. I had to stop every few steps to curl and uncurl my toes. On returning to Australia I saw a university trained podiatrist and her first reaction was - they are too stiff for your feet, you need flexibility. She put me onto ASICs which I wore happily on several caminos (and then changed to sandals).

Others (see the comment by @C clearly) have problems with shoes that are too flexible. But if you have been happy up to now in your other athletic shoes, that does not seem to be the problem.

I'd suggest trying something like Hoka, New Balance or ASIC (or a similar Norwegian brand).

There really is no need for hiking boots on the Camino Francés.
Great advice, thanks! I've got some new trail runners now, with a lot more flexibility. Will test them out today to see how they feel after 20-25 kms. But will definitely ditch the hiking boots now.

When i hear your story It remembers me on myself.
On my experience the camino is also a way of suffering, but also of recovering and forgetting until the next morning.
My typical day.
Slept well and wake up with some stiff ankles.
Start to walk and run smoothly after 15min.
2hours or 8 to 10km first rest .
The next 10km increased burning soles.
Glad to reach 25km.
Wash, Shower , dine, sleep......
You as a young guy will have some advantages.
Yeah, I will definitely take some breaks during the walk to stretch and take care of the feet. Hoping that will help.

Couldn't find them in the right size, unfortunately. But for my next Camino, I will definitely try them out!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am glad to see you are wearing your gear before you leave. I had the same issue finding what would work. I ended up with keens (non waterproof)& “sole” footbeds. Just like a running shoe no break in period.

The only issue I have with keens is if your going to walk from France to the ocean they will be completely worn out with holes in the bottom. But any shoe with vibram soles I found we’re just like you describe very hard, especially on pavement.

Buen Camino
Keith
Thank you very much! I ended getting Salomon trail runners in goretex. Hoping I don't need to break them in much, as I start the camino in one week.

Consider bringing hiking sandals as your 2nd pair (Keens or the like). That was a game-changer for my husband when he bought them in Burgos. He ended up wearing them about half the time for the remainder of the trip, and nearly all the time once we got to Galicia and the trail became better-traveled.

They can be worn in the shower as they'll dry fast, and if your feet just need a break, they're sturdy enough for all but the toughest, rockiest parts of the Camino.

You won't be the only one on the trail wearing sandals with your hiking shoes dangling on your pack behind you.
This is great advice, thanks! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Fwiw, I'm halfway thru del Norte today, using Salomon SenseRide (it's a women's trail runner). While your experience may vary, I'll say that they've been super for me. I do use poles, especially on downhills, to reduce strike impact and probability of missteps leading to sprains. I'm a big fan of low-height shoes for trails, and use them on the Appalachian Trail in the States.
This is great to know. I got some new Salomon trail runners yesterday. Very light weight and comfortable shoes. I'm glad your shoes are working out so well. Buen Camino!

That's great advice, thanks! I will definitely try out these stretches. Also thinking of bringing a massage ball to loosen up soles and calves. About the walking poles, I'm debating if I want to bring them or not. Why would you say you spend up to 20 % more energy using them?

I only would add - magnesium can help with cramping - ankle exercises will help strengthen all the muscles in the feet and legs associated with walking - and I love poles even on flat surfaces where I tend to use them in the Nordic walking style.
Thanks, will get some magnesium and see if this helps. By ankle exercises, do you mean strengthening the calves?

Thanks, will get some magnesium and see if this helps.
Be careful with the magnesium supplements. Some forms can have a laxative effect that can catch you by surprise!

Here's an article about the different types of magnesium. Note which ones are used to treat constipation - they have the laxative effect.

Couldn't find them in the right size, unfortunately. But for my next Camino, I will definitely try them out!
If the Salomon’s work well for you, why mess with success!!?? Haha. I have never worn a Gortex Shoe but have read here that many people think it can make your feet more sweaty and prone to blisters. I may be wrong in this assessment.
Check the search engine and maybe bring an extra pair of socks or some sock liners to help absorb the sweat and to change your socks during the day.
It will probably still be hot when you go.

Thanks, will get some magnesium and see if this helps. By ankle exercises, do you mean strengthening the calves?
I sprained my ankle a couple of years ago and did some ankle exercises to aid recovery. I began them again recently in prep for my upcoming Camino and found they helped strengthen not only feet and ankles but some worked muscles right up to my gluteus. They help with balance and also help condition the feet.
These are the ones I do

But I also found a number of links for general sports support. Eg.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If the Salomon’s work well for you, why mess with success!!?? Haha. I have never worn a Gortex Shoe but have read here that many people think it can make your feet more sweaty and prone to blisters. I may be wrong in this assessment.
Check the search engine and maybe bring an extra pair of socks or some sock liners to help absorb the sweat and to change your socks during the day.
It will probably still be hot when you go.
Yeah, that's true. I have been looking for some liner socks for a while, but couldn't find them in any sporting goods store over here. Any idea if they sell them along the Camino?

Be careful with the magnesium supplements. Some forms can have a laxative effect that can catch you by surprise!

Here's an article about the different types of magnesium. Note which ones are used to treat constipation - they have the laxative effect.

Thanks for sharing this. I ordered a magnesium supplement with a blend of 5 different types of magnesium. So hopefully it won't cause too much of a laxative effect.

I sprained my ankle a couple of years ago and did some ankle exercises to aid recovery. I began them again recently in prep for my upcoming Camino and found they helped strengthen not only feet and ankles but some worked muscles right up to my gluteus. They help with balance and also help condition the feet.
These are the ones I do

But I also found a number of links for general sports support. Eg.
Nice, I will try some of these out. Thanks :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yeah, that's true. I have been looking for some liner socks for a while, but couldn't find them in any sporting goods store over here. Any idea if they sell them along the Camino?
I would say there are three choices for you. I would call around to some running stores or check Decathlon if there is one near to your home. If you are walking the Frances there is an outdoor store in SJPP on the same street as the Pilgrim Office. Take a right out of the office and walk down the hill and it is on the right side a little ways down. You can't miss it. They cater to pilgrims, obviously haha. I would also send an email to Caminoteca in Pamplona and ask them if they have sock liners. They are wonderful and if they don't I am sure they will try to help you find a store that has what you need.
I tried to get on to their website but for some reason it was down when i tried. They also have a facebook page.
Hope this helps.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.