• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoe Recommendation-New Balance Leadville V3

Multipurpose

Time of past OR future Camino
March/April (2018) maybe 2017
Hi all, I would like to make a shoe recommendation. I have not hiked the El Camino yet, but plan to in the future when I retire. However I am an ardent hiker and backpacker here in Northern California and average about 35-40 miles a week on some pretty rocky trails..

I have used only trail runners for the last 20 years (I am 67) for hiking and even backpacking and have gotten no blisters since I switched over from boots. Some people say trail runners don't have ankle support like boots and that is true to some extent, but I have never twisted my ankles with trail runners, I just go slower and am more careful on the rocky parts.

Not a big fan of Gore-Tex shoes because they are hotter and take longer to dry out, but they can be useful in some situations.

Shoe fit is an individual thing and differs from person to person, but I think I have fairly normal feet, and this is what works for me. My feet are 10 1/2 D width, I am 6' tall and weight 180 lb. I normally get hiking shoes 1/2 size larger in length, but that can vary depending on the manufacturer. And I find that trail runners often are not wide enough, but more of that below.

The shoe I like is the New Balance LeadvilleV3 and I think this would be a good El Camino shoe, especially in the warmer months. I bought a pair several months ago and have had very good luck with them. They have the high end Vibram soles, fit very well, and I see no wear on them so far. Here is my fit advice for this shoe. This is very important because sometimes running shoes run narrow and can pinch your little toes especially when your feet get warm and swell up. Measure your foot with the metal Brannock device at a shoe store. The shoe comes in three widths. If your foot measures narrower than a D width get the D width shoe, which is the narrowest size in this shoe. Do this because the D width in this shoe runs a little narrow. If your foot measures as a D width, get the 2E width, which is what I did since my foot measures as D width. If your foot measures wider than a D width, get the 4E width. There is nothing worse than to be out on the trail and have your feet swell up and pinch your little toes--believe me I have been there many times. New Balance is one of the few companies that offers trail runners in different widths and for that I am grateful. Also I get trail runners 1/2 size longer in length although the Leadville seems to be accurate in length, so that may not be necessary, but that is what I did from habit. In any case it worked for me. Here is a link to the NB Leadville V3 shoe. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z7KM6XC/?tag=casaivar02-20

This next part is optional. Take the insole the shoe comes with out and get an after market insole. Here is a link to the insole I like, which is available at REI (btw,the shoe is not). Yes they are expensive, but I am an avid hiker and they are worth it to me. They give a little bit more support and protection from rocks. https://www.rei.com/product/752606/sole-dean-karnazes-signature-series-custom-footbeds-medium-volume.

Hope that helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all, I would like to make a shoe recommendation. I have not hiked the El Camino yet, but plan to in the future when I retire. However I am an ardent hiker and backpacker here in Northern California and average about 35-40 miles a week on some pretty rocky trails..

I have used only trail runners for the last 20 years (I am 67) for hiking and even backpacking and have gotten no blisters since I switched over from boots. Some people say trail runners don't have ankle support like boots and that is true to some extent, but I have never twisted my ankles with trail runners, I just go slower and am more careful on the rocky parts.

Not a big fan of Gore-Tex shoes because they are hotter and take longer to dry out, but they can be useful in some situations.

Shoe fit is an individual thing and differs from person to person, but I think I have fairly normal feet, and this is what works for me. My feet are 10 1/2 D width, I am 6' tall and weight 180 lb. I normally get hiking shoes 1/2 size larger in length, but that can vary depending on the manufacturer. And I find that trail runners often are not wide enough, but more of that below.

The shoe I like is the New Balance LeadvilleV3 and I think this would be a good El Camino shoe, especially in the warmer months. I bought a pair several months ago and have had very good luck with them. They have the high end Vibram soles, fit very well, and I see no wear on them so far. Here is my fit advice for this shoe. This is very important because sometimes running shoes run narrow and can pinch your little toes especially when your feet get warm and swell up. Measure your foot with the metal Brannock device at a shoe store. The shoe comes in three widths. If your foot measures narrower than a D width get the D width shoe, which is the narrowest size in this shoe. Do this because the D width in this shoe runs a little narrow. If your foot measures as a D width, get the 2E width, which is what I did since my foot measures as D width. If your foot measures wider than a D width, get the 4E width. There is nothing worse than to be out on the trail and have your feet swell up and pinch your little toes--believe me I have been there many times. New Balance is one of the few companies that offers trail runners in different widths and for that I am grateful. Also I get trail runners 1/2 size longer in length although the Leadville seems to be accurate in length, so that may not be necessary, but that is what I did from habit. In any case it worked for me. Here is a link to the NB Leadville V3 shoe. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z7KM6XC/?tag=casaivar02-20

This next part is optional. Take the insole the shoe comes with out and get an after market insole. Here is a link to the insole I like, which is available at REI (btw,the shoe is not). Yes they are expensive, but I am an avid hiker and they are worth it to me. They give a little bit more support and protection from rocks. https://www.rei.com/product/752606/sole-dean-karnazes-signature-series-custom-footbeds-medium-volume.

Hope that helps.

I bought those shoes and will be wearing them on my June / July camino. I'll let you know how I make out.

I love love love my New Balance shoes and wear them every year.
This year, I may be trying a new one, the 610v5.
It's lighter weight than my 1340v2 pair, and I have to make a decision, because I leave in 1.5 days!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Bought some NB 910V2 trail runners for any future Camino. They look good.
New Balance are the best running shoes I ever owned. Consistent.

This year, I may be trying a new one, the 610v5.
I have been wearing the 610v4's (nice wide toe area) but just ordered the 610v5 ....I hope they will have a similar fit there they are great to wear as a change from my Keen hiking shoes.

I bought those shoes and will be wearing them on my June / July camino. I'll let you know how I make out.

Great! Hope you like them, they work for me. Sometimes they are at a reduced price on Amazon especially the older Leadville V2 which is similar

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.