• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoe Recommendation-Vasque Trailbender Trail Running Shoe

Time of past OR future Camino
planning for spring 2018
First of all I want to say that in shoes it's fit, fit, fit. These shoes work for me, they may not work for you, so try them on first if you are thinking of buying them. That being said I really like these shoes. I have had them for a two months now hiking several times a week here in Northern California and sometimes wading due to our recent monsoon conditions. They are holding up well and show no signs of wear. They are not Gore-Tex, but they dry out overnight especially if you stuff them with crumpled up newspaper. Due to the thick soles they are well suited to combined pavement and and rocky trail which I think would make them a very nice Camino shoe if you are into trail runners instead of boots. A lot of cushioning with these shoes. They are a little wider than normal in front and don't pinch my little toes like many trail runners do. I sized one full size up to get a good fit because for me they run a little small. In the States they are only available at REI and I'm not sure if they are available in Europe. Search REI for Vasque Trailbender Running shoe.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That is awesome - I have been looking for a thick soled running shoe. The Hoka OneOne are the only ones I have found so far.
Thanks for the info.

Kathy

That is awesome - I have been looking for a thick soled running shoe. The Hoka OneOne are the only ones I have found so far.
Thanks for the info.

Kathy
Hi Kathy, I have tried the Hoka OneOne and they didn't work for me because they were too narrow in the toebox. The Trailbender soles are similar to the Hokas in that they are quite thick, but the Trailbender toebox is wider than the Hoka. Also it seemed to me that the Trailbender shoe got a little more comfortable as I wore them, so maybe a little break in period with them. The Trailbender is expensive though, $130 American list price. I am going to wait for the next 20% off REI sale and buy another pair because I like them so much. Good luck, hope they work for you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back