• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoe Recommendations

whit37788

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2019
I've been doing lots of research on shoes and I'm trying to figure out which Trail Running Shoes are the best for the Camino. So far I've gathered a list including:

Salomon Sense Pro Max W
Adidas Response Trail Shoes
Brooks Cascadia 11 GTX - Trail Running Shoes - Women's
Salomon XA Pro 3D W
Salomon XA Pro 3D CS WP W
Brooks Women's Caldera Trail Running Shoes

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of these shoes during their Camino or if anyone has any other recommendations that they think are better. Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've been doing lots of research on shoes and I'm trying to figure out which Trail Running Shoes are the best for the Camino. So far I've gathered a list including:

Salomon Sense Pro Max W
Salomon XA Pro 3D W

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of these shoes during their Camino or if anyone has any other recommendations that they think are better. Thanks!

Get a pair of sturdy shoes that fit. Brand name holds no sway; get a pair that fit.

Did I mention the part about getting a pair that fit?

I've been doing lots of research on shoes
There is no point in asking for individual recommendations, beyond the type of information you have already gathered, since the overwhelming criteria is always how the shoe fits on your foot. Some other features can be compromised, but the comfort mustn't.

It seems like you have landed on some reputable brands and styles that could be suitable. Now, you need to try them on and give them a good test. Buy the ones that fit your foot most comfortably, and get the size that is as big as you can go without getting "too" big.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Salomon Sense Pro Max W
Salomon XA Pro 3D W

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know or do not have experience with any of the above.
I'd go to a shop where you can wear the shoes for a while to see if they feel good, In case of doubt between two> go for the lighter one.
If you walk the Camino Frances it will be roughly a million steps and you will have to lift the shoes a million times.
A difference of 50 grams will equal to a difference of 50,000 kg or 50 tons! That is significant!
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Hi, I tried on a lot of trail shoes trying to find the perfect pair. I realized that the high arch on the insole was causing most of my problems. After swapping it out for gel insoles with a lower arch profile I finally found a good match for my feet. I did end up getting Merrills. So far on my hikes I've been happy with my choice. The Camino will be the true test.
My advice is to take your list to the shop and try them on. Allow for lots of room in the toe box. Go up and down ramps. If the arch is bugging you take the insole out and try them on again.
You will find a pair that make you and your feet happy.
Buen Camino

My first Camino I walked in Mammut shoes (amazing choice). For my second Camino in May I chose Keen shoes, but Salomon is a good one too. Also don't forget - quality socks are very important for comfortable walking..

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Salomon Sense Pro Max W
Salomon XA Pro 3D W

Be mindful of the terrain you will be on. You will need good protection and something that a bit firmer in the midsole in some areas. Think about how your shoes will stand up to puddles and mud. I personally prefer a hiking shoe due to having more support and the soles last much longer. If you are really keen on a trail running shoe, add the Pearl Izumi to your list..
Don't know if you have seen these reviews but they are really thorough: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Trail-Running-Shoes-Womens-Reviews and http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hiking-Shoes-Womens-Reviews .

Salomon Sense Pro Max W
Salomon XA Pro 3D W

I've also been researching trail runners lately for my Camino Frances in 2018. I've narrowed it down to either the Brooks Cascadia OR the Hoka One One Challenger. I'll almost certainly go with the Hoka One Ones - they are lightweight but super cushiony. Good luck and let us know how you got on!

Get a pair of sturdy shoes that fit. Brand name holds no sway; get a pair that fit.

Did I mention the part about getting a pair that fit?
Good basic advice, but I'd add two additional recommendations:
1) Get them at least a half-size (or full-size) larger than what feels initially like a "good fit" because your feet will expand when you walk long distances like the Camino. Use thicker socks and creative lacing techniques to make up the difference in the beginning.
2) Buy the shoes from a store that has a liberal return policy, such as REI in the US, and actually try some of the brands you mention by walking several days for several kilometers/miles.
Good luck on your choice and Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.