• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Shoes, again!

Joodle

Time of past OR future Camino
CF May 10th- June 21st 2016
VDLP March-April 2017
CF coming up April-May
I'm sorry to be asking again, but does anyone remember a post where they talked about a certain shoe "last" that was good for a narrow heel, held the midfoot snugly and had a wide toe box? I'm back to the drawing board as far as shoes go. I had to return my mostly perfect and broken in shoes as it developed a cracking sound in the rock plate inside the sole. I would have been a stark raving and lonely pilgrim trying to walk 500 miles with a snap sound at every other step. I know i saw a post thread about this somewhere. It could have been a "1210"???? I need to get them quickly and get them broken in. I leave in about 7 weeks. (everyone still thinks I'm cazy)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I know New Balance makes a trail running shoe with a model number of "1210". They look good.
Just my two cents, but New Balance makes some great shoes. I have been wearing their brand for years for my runs. Only brand I have used that minimizes my pronation problems. Cured my shin splints.

I'm sorry to be asking again, but does anyone remember a post where they talked about a certain shoe "last" that was good for a narrow heel, held the midfoot snugly and had a wide toe box? I'm back to the drawing board as far as shoes go. I had to return my mostly perfect and broken in shoes as it developed a cracking sound in the rock plate inside the sole. I would have been a stark raving and lonely pilgrim trying to walk 500 miles with a snap sound at every other step. I know i saw a post thread about this somewhere. It could have been a "1210"???? I need to get them quickly and get them broken in. I leave in about 7 weeks. (everyone still thinks I'm cazy)
Think it was SL2 @Anniesantiago

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I have 4weeks to go and still don't have shoes. I live on an island where I can not buy shoes so I have to do it all on line and with mail only coming in once a week this has become a long painful process for me. So far I have had 2 pairs of Keen.....1 to small, 1 great but I walk up hills on hard road & after 10kms all I feel is hard pounding & blood blisters which resulted in traumatised feet. So I'm now going back to what I know are the best......ASICS!! I've walked these hills here for years in ASICS with no probs & think they will do me well on the Camino. I'm now waiting for mail to arrive with my new ASICS..... I have a Trail pair coming & my favourite the Kayano. I ordered them a week ago but the mail was offloaded from plane yesterday so it could be another week before I receive them. No point stressing nothing I can do & what will be will be. The joys of living on a rock in the middle of the Indian Ocean!

Anniesantiago suggested New Balance W1080V5 running shoes. They have wide, soft toe boxes, and on my feet anyway are very comfortable. I've been walking in them for a few months now and they're working well. I got them a size larger than normal, so I can wear liners and wool socks. They seem to dry quickly if damp, and have good support and grippy soles. If you order from zappos, free returns, so it's easy to try different sizes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have 4weeks to go and still don't have shoes. I live on an island where I can not buy shoes so I have to do it all on line and with mail only coming in once a week this has become a long painful process for me. So far I have had 2 pairs of Keen.....1 to small, 1 great but I walk up hills on hard road & after 10kms all I feel is hard pounding & blood blisters which resulted in traumatised feet. So I'm now going back to what I know are the best......ASICS!! I've walked these hills here for years in ASICS with no probs & think they will do me well on the Camino. I'm now waiting for mail to arrive with my new ASICS..... I have a Trail pair coming & my favourite the Kayano. I ordered them a week ago but the mail was offloaded from plane yesterday so it could be another week before I receive them. No point stressing nothing I can do & what will be will be. The joys of living on a rock in the middle of the Indian Ocean!
That sounds amazing. Living on an Island in the middle of the Indian Ocean. Good luck with your foot wear. Everything that I've tried seems to be funneling me back down to taking my Leather Keen mid height leather boots. I just gave up on my Keen Newport H2 sport sandals today. They keep hurting the far side of my right foot. I have tried them 3 times and no go. I did finally get my sleep system worked out. I got a micro fiber full flat sheet and sewed my own sleep sack. I will pair it with my down quilt throw if it's cold. I will sew a few snaps on to the top of the sleep sack and the other half onto the quilt. that will keep the quilt from slipping off in the night. I can just unsnap the quilt if it's too hot. I know better than to use Velcro and wake up sleeping pilgrims. I've heard that is about as dangerous as waking up a sleeping bear! :mad:

@Lynda6798 take the Asics! I happily walked the Camino Frances twice in Asics , plus the Le Puy. They have particularly long lasting soles, much better than many other runners. I liked the GT (I think that is what they were - very lightweight) until they started piling stuff on the top and they got a bit hot inside.

The New Balance I tried, but they gave me blisters because they did not cradle my heels the way the Asics did.

I don't find the Keens sandals at all comfortable either. I tried every type of hiking sandal before I settled on the Eccos.

I love Asic Kayanos, they're so comfy. My big toe made itself a bit of extra room by pushing up a discreet bump in the upper. Never bothered me or my toe but invoked podiatrist veto. I've been put into NB too, for other issues. They're ok, but the Kayanos felt better. A lot of people have significant foot probs, not meaning to play that down at all. Just have to wonder if those of us who have minor issues, well me, don't overthink this shoe thing, 1st world prob etc.

@Kanga, I had a whinge about the Ecco's, otherwise great, having a fixed front strap which abraded my pushy big toe. Pod no 3 suggested cutting it and just using the velcro strap. Bingo, genius, prob solved. She also said to get the ends interlocked or whatever it's called to prevent fraying. Not so easy, clothes alteration popup wouldn't do shoes, shoemaker wanted to fold and sew, leaving little lumps. Have to post for ideas on that.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ah @Lachance (Deb) what you need is my little gadget for sealing thread - it is battery operated, looks like a pen, but has a fine metal filament loop at the end that heats up. I bought it from a bead shop. It is very precise and useful for any fabric that you can heat seal. Like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HBXOUY/?tag=casaivar02-20

@Lynda6798 take the Asics! I happily walked the Camino Frances twice in Asics , plus the Le Puy. They have particularly long lasting soles, much better than many other runners. I liked the GT (I think that is what they were - very lightweight) until they started piling stuff on the top and they got a bit hot inside.

The New Balance I tried, but they gave me blisters because they did not cradle my heels the way the Asics did.

I don't find the Keens sandals at all comfortable either. I tried every type of hiking sandal before I settled on the Eccos.

Thanks Kanga I should have brought new ASICS 7weeks ago & saved myself $400 & no trauma to my feet. I have a pair of GT2000 Trail coming as well as the Kayano. The GT trail sound like they will be as comfy as the Kayano but if my feet don't like them I will have the Kayano here to use instead. I'm thinking I might have to get some waterproofer since neither are water proof:rolleyes:

Ah @Lachance (Deb) what you need is my little gadget for sealing thread - it is battery operated, looks like a pen, but has a fine metal filament loop at the end that heats up. I bought it from a bead shop. It is very precise and useful for any fabric that you can heat seal. Like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HBXOUY/?tag=casaivar02-20
Kanga, are you really a human or an angel from heaven? I just have to order within 34 hrs,13 mins and it will be delivered to my suburb by 24 Mar. Hope they're allowing for Easter, but don't leave till 31. Only 1 left in stock, gotta go.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nooooo! @Lynda6798 one of the good things about the Asics is that they breath - try to waterproof them and you will lose that advantage. I don't care what people say, in a real downpour your feet will get wet, no matter what shoes you are wearing, and the advantage of something like the Asics is that they 'walk dry'.

Deb, don't make me laugh! Or my husband who would laugh even more. Hope it works. I did wonder if one of those flat gadgets for sealing plastic bags would also work, but I doubt it would be so precise and might ruin the shoes.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Asics cumulus goretex are on sale at jackrabbit for under $90 (were $140). They work well if the weather is not too hot and you pair them with gators

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm back to the drawing board as far as shoes go. [/QUOTE said:
As a heavy old man, I've walked two Caminos in a new pair of Lowa Renegade GTX Mid Hiking Boots each time without any feet issues whatsoever, albeit after my return home, I returned the first pair as they developed a squeak within a year of purchase. They really didn't need any break-in process.

Back home, every time I slip into my Lowa Renegades to go for a local hike, they are like putting on a comfortable pair of slippers. The second pair are still without issues, and keep my feet dry in all the mud I tramp through.

I learned to stay away from any footwear manufactured in China for both fit and glue separation problems. The Lowa boots are manufactured in Slovakia.

check out http://tinyurl.com/hh6w6r4

I love Asic Kayanos, they're so comfy. My big toe made itself a bit of extra room by pushing up a discreet bump in the upper. Never bothered me or my toe but invoked podiatrist veto. I've been put into NB too, for other issues. They're ok, but the Kayanos felt better. A lot of people have significant foot probs, not meaning to play that down at all. Just have to wonder if those of us who have minor issues, well me, don't overthink this shoe thing, 1st world prob etc.

@Kanga, I had a whinge about the Ecco's, otherwise great, having a fixed front strap which abraded my pushy big toe. Pod no 3 suggested cutting it and just using the velcro strap. Bingo, genius, prob solved. She also said to get the ends interlocked or whatever it's called to prevent fraying. Not so easy, clothes alteration popup wouldn't do shoes, shoemaker wanted to fold and sew, leaving little lumps. Have to post for ideas on that.

Lachance, when I cut my backpacks' straps, I just 'burn' the edges: I use a long candle/bbq lighter to hold the flame to the cut edge until it melts and seals itself. Good only on synthetic materials. Would this work on your sandal straps?

Feet are so individual, you just don't know until you try a shoe on. I couldn't walk a mile in a high leather boot, while some folks go 500 miles in them happily. I tried Eccos hoping they could be my evening/backup sandals, but they just weren't comfortable for me. Ordered 4 more styles of Tevas from Zappos and settled on Terra Fi's. They feel pretty good, but weigh almost 2 lbs--do I really want to carry that weight?

After searching on line for a lighter sandal, I found these Unshoes on sale and thought I'd give them a try: http://www.unshoesusa.com/Pah-Tempe_p_17.html. If anyone has any experience with this type sandal, I'd be interested in hearing how they worked for you. They weigh 8 ounces, fit my problematic feet ok, and will work well in the shower and around town, if nothing else. They are a "minimalist" design with a flat bottom and no arch support, so not sure if I can walk any distance in them (though they are used by "barefoot" style runners.) We'll see. All will be revealed on the trail in a few short weeks....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So true. Our feet are as varied as we are.

I know New Balance makes a trail running shoe with a model number of "1210". They look good.
Just my two cents, but New Balance makes some great shoes. I have been wearing their brand for years for my runs. Only brand I have used that minimizes my pronation problems. Cured my shin splints.
I wore the 1210's on my CF in Sept 2014. They were fine. But, training for my April one, they don't feel as good. Go figure

A couple suggestions.

Some brands like Nike are famous for being narrow. Others like Keen are famous for having a large toe box. Still other like New Balance are famous for have a near infinite variation in size if you order on-line.

If it were me I would look at the Runners World shoe advisor. Look at trail running shoes and see what they recommend for you . Put in a slow walking pace say 18 minutes and no seconds 3.3 mph. http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor

New Balance says that trail running and walking shoes are not the same. http://www.newbalance.com/article_walking_vs_running_shoes.html

So you might want to focus on walking shoes.

I also posted some information on lacing techniques in the training lessons learned section that might help you deal with a shoe that does quite fits, but is close. I included posts on how to lace shoes for various foot problems on trail conditions.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A couple suggestions.

Some brands like Nike are famous for being narrow. Others like Keen are famous for having a large toe box. Still other like New Balance are famous for have a near infinite variation in size if you order on-line.

If it were me I would look at the Runners World shoe advisor. Look at trail running shoes and see what they recommend for you . Put in a slow walking pace say 18 minutes and no seconds 3.3 mph. http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor

New Balance says that trail running and walking shoes are not the same. http://www.newbalance.com/article_walking_vs_running_shoes.html

So you might want to focus on walking shoes.

I also posted some information on lacing techniques in the training lessons learned section that might help you deal with a shoe that does quite fits, but is close. I included posts on how to lace shoes for various foot problems on trail conditions.
I would like to look at the information you mentioned about lacing techniques, but I can't find the 'training lessons learned' section. I guess I'm just not adept yet at the forum. I've searched the topic and your name, but no luck. Can you help?

Here is the lacing info posted by Older Guy. Click this quoted post to read in full.

You are welcome.

I thought I would post a few links on shoe/boot lacing. There is a lot more to it than most folks realize. Among half marathon and marathon runners, shoe lacing can be discussed for hours.

http://spright.com/news/ways-to-tie-shoes-to-relieve-foot-pain/

https://www.aofas.org/footcaremd/how-to/footwear/Pages/Lacing-Techniques-for-Proper-Shoe-Fit.aspx

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/tipsforsports.htm

One final tip and that is after a very hard round of exercise, make sure you have both carbs and protein in the the right proportions within a half an hour of stopping exercising. This will maximize your ability to do hard exercise either later that day or the next day. When I do mountain climbing, long runs, or long bike rides, I try to do this trick at my lunch break and at the end of the day. Sometimes at lunch on a 100 mile bike ride I will stop at a grocery store of gas station market to get a couple of protein shakes or chocolate milk containers and have one for lunch and keep the other for either my next stop or the end of the day.

Considering how many days you will be walking long distances, maximizing your muscle recovery each day, becomes more important, unless you have really trained a lot and aren't pushing yourself to your limits (which is good).

The science behind it is found in the following article.

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/articlePages/article/7

Good luck on your Camino

Thank you all. I hope that the information helps. The variation in how one can lace one's shoes is near infinite and it does allow one to effectively change how the shoe/boot is attached to one's foot. If you look closely at my long distance hiking boots (Kein's) you will see a different lacing pattern on the left boot than the one on the right boot. No two feet are alike and sometimes in some boots, different lacing patterns can be a big improvement.

One thing I pointed out in an earlier post on that thread, is the benefit of changing socks at lunch. I try to do that in mountain climbing, long hikes, and long bike rides. Also adjusting your lacing just before descending a steep slope is a good idea as is re-adjusting socks and lacing tightness after about your first half hour of walking in the morning.

I have learned so much about endurance sports over the years and think that a lot of that information will benefit a person who is doing a long distance pilgrimage. Actually in training for half marathons, the joke or reality is that best way to guarantee a descent performance in the run you have signed up for is to train in moderation so you don't injure yourself, as over-use injuries are very common. It took several over-use injuries before I really learned that lesson to the point that I live it. For those walking a month long Camino, it can be the equivalent of a short but intense training program, where you are pushing yourself, but hopefully not to the point of injury. On my biking Camino, I will focus on injury prevention, which means listening to what my body tells me.

mspath, you are a veteran Camino person, so I am sure you have learned these and other lessons and others that you can share with those of us who haven't done one.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My right heel is narrow. I do a loop at the top eyelet of my right shoe by threading the lace back into the upper eyelet. That lace is then led though the loop on the opposite side. Ditto for the other side. Tighten and and tie as usual. This seems to bring the back of my shoe tighter around my heel. A bit fiddly bit it works for me.

Back