• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes and sleeping bag

yuling

Time of past OR future Camino
I am planning to go in later May 2017
Dear all,

My trip to Cameno is the end of next week. I am going on walk on the trail may 21-june 21 . Do i really need a waterproof boots and a sleeping bag ? I am in a panic not ready mood. Dont want to miss essentials but also dont want to bring heavy duty stuff to add on unnessary weight. Can anybody confirm if hostal can offer a blanket if what i have is not warm enough? Many thanks !

Yuling

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did the camino last May-June and I never needed a sleeping bag. All of the places we stayed had blankets and I wasn't cold at night. It did rain on several days and there was often dew in the morning, so waterproof hiking shoes were very useful in my opinion.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear all,

My trip to Cameno is the end of next week. I am going on walk on the trail may 21-june 21 . Do i really need a waterproof boots and a sleeping bag ? I am in a panic not ready mood. Dont want to miss essentials but also dont want to bring heavy duty stuff to add on unnessary weight. Can anybody confirm if hostal can offer a blanket if what i have is not warm enough? Many thanks !

Yuling

No, you do not need waterproof boots or a sleeping bag. A lightweight sleeping quilt will be lightweight and warm enough for the season, something rated for maybe 15 degrees Celsius or higher. I like sleeping quilts because they can be easily adjusted to accommodate you if you are sleeping warmer or cooler. Keep in mind that you can also wear additional clothing to bed if you a bit cool while sleeping. Here is an example:
http://www.campsaver.com/sea-to-summit-traveller-tr1-sleeping-bag-750-down

I do not care for waterproof backpacking or walking shoes. During the Vietnam war, we were issued boots with fabric uppers and leather lowers and the lowers had large holes in the sides for draining water. There was no expectation of keeping prolonged exposure to water out of the boots, so it was important not to trap water in the boot (or shoe, nowadays). Others swear BY waterproof footwear, many swear AT waterproof footwear. One thing is for certain, manufacturers have glomed onto "waterproof" as if there is a certainty to its implementation. Here is one take about the subject:

http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/ditch-boots

Not a recommendation, but as a point of consideration in general: for the last several years of long-distance backpacking with 28 pound loads in the Cascade and Sierra Nevada and Rocky Mountains for thousands of miles on trail, I have used the New Balance Leadvilles. Now I am "auditioning" the Brooks Beast, and liking them pretty well. Even though you don't have a lot of time to pick-and-choose, there is still plenty of time for you to find something that will work for you.

If you go shopping for a shoe, take your backpack with about 20 pounds of weight and the sock that you will be using to walk in. When you try on shoes, put on the pack first prior to either measuring your foot or trying on the footwear. Then I would suggest that you strongly consider purchasing whatever size fits you in one size larger. There are other things to consider, but hopefully this may be of help. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
No, you do not need waterproof boots or a sleeping bag. A lightweight sleeping quilt will be lightweight and warm enough for the season, something rated for maybe 15 degrees Celsius or higher. I like sleeping quilts because they can be easily adjusted to accommodate you if you are sleeping warmer or cooler. Keep in mind that you can also wear additional clothing to bed if you a bit cool while sleeping. Here is an example:
http://www.campsaver.com/sea-to-summit-traveller-tr1-sleeping-bag-750-down

I do not care for waterproof backpacking or walking shoes. During the Vietnam war, we were issued boots with fabric uppers and leather lowers and the lowers had large holes in the sides for draining water. There was no expectation of keeping prolonged exposure to water out of the boots, so it was important not to trap water in the boot (or shoe, nowadays). Others swear BY waterproof footwear, many swear AT waterproof footwear. One thing is for certain, manufacturers have glomed onto "waterproof" as if there is a certainty to its implementation. Here is one take about the subject:

http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/ditch-boots

Not a recommendation, but as a point of consideration in general: for the last several years of long-distance backpacking with 28 pound loads in the Cascade and Sierra Nevada and Rocky Mountains for thousands of miles on trail, I have used the New Balance Leadvilles. Now I am "auditioning" the Brooks Beast, and liking them pretty well. Even though you don't have a lot of time to pick-and-choose, there is still plenty of time for you to find something that will work for you.

If you go shopping for a shoe, take your backpack with about 20 pounds of weight and the sock that you will be using to walk in. When you try on shoes, put on the pack first prior to either measuring your foot or trying on the footwear. Then I would suggest that you strongly consider purchasing whatever size fits you in one size larger. There are other things to consider, but hopefully this may be of help. :)
Thank you so much for such detailed response. Gracias!
I guess there is no need to bring waterproof clothes?

Thanks

Yuling

Thanks

Yuling
You will need something to cover yourself and your backpack in case it rains.
Some people like to use a poncho that is designed to also cover your backpack. Others prefer a rain jacket plus pack cover.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thanks

Yuling

You only mentioned your concern about shoes and sleeping bag. Of course you should plan for rain... I prefer using a poncho which is big enough to cover me and my backpack. The example below is ultralight and has a variety of uses in addition to that of a poncho.

https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/silnylon-rain-poncho/

I always hike in lightweight shorts. In addition to the poncho, I sometimes use a rain kilt.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/cloudkilt.shtml

Everyone is different so you have to workout what suits you. If you look at the forecasts there will be rain during your Camino.

I don't wear waterproof shoes because I like my feet to breath. On hot days waterproof shoes tend to keep the moisture in.

I prefer a rain jacket. (Ponchos flap in the wind and I don't like noise). Excellent quality gortex that I treat with loving care so it stays clean and waterproof and breathes so it doesn't get sweaty inside. I also use this as a wind breaker and thermal layer as required!

For heavy rain I have rain pants which are a special gortex so they breath, don't get sweaty and don't make that rubbing noise that most rain pants do.

I use a rain cover on my pack and a waterproof bag inside for "it must stay dry" essentials for added protection and peace of mind.

Last edited:
I do not care for waterproof backpacking or walking shoes. During the Vietnam war, we were issued boots with fabric uppers and leather lowers and the lowers had large holes in the sides for draining water. There was no expectation of keeping prolonged exposure to water out of the boots, so it was important not to trap water in the boot (or shoe, nowadays). Others swear BY waterproof footwear, many swear AT waterproof footwear.

True about the waterproofing but we didn't wear socks, either. Or underwear for that matter.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You will need something to cover yourself and your backpack in case it rains.
Some people like to use a poncho that is designed to also cover your backpack. Others prefer a rain jacket plus pack cover.

For both CF and CP I used one of those cheap plastic rain ponchos that people use on sport stadiums or fun runs... weighs nothing, and because I'm so small, covers the backpack and all the way to my feet. I just have to be careful when taking it off, so it does not rip. (But if it ever did, I would just buy a new rain cover... it's Spain, not the jungle :p )

Dear all,

Yuling

Hi Yuling and welcome to the forum :). At the moment it is absolutely pouring in Santiago and 56ºF and I feel a bit bad for the walkers who are walking into town today! It would be best if you had a rain jacket or poncho with you, as others have said. There's never a guarantee that it won't rain, especially in Galicia, and if you can keep yourself dry while you walk through the forests and out in the open you may be more comfortable.

As far as sleeping bags go, I've been in hostels before where they did have blankets, but pilgrims who arrived earlier than I did kind of hoarded them (took two each) and I was left without. Or, some hostels don't have enough blankets for each guest. With the general increase in pilgrims these years, a hostel may or may not have a blanket for you - will that be OK? Will you get cold without a blanket? (I run cold and always like to have some "weight" on me at night. Others run hot.)

If you think you'll get cold without a blanket, then it would be good to take along a lightweight sleeping bag. The temperature in Galicia can fluctuate quite a bit - today in Santiago it started out at 51º and will go up to 59º, and last week it was up into the 70's. You could check the weather forecasts before you come, and if you tend to get cold at night when the temperature is at the coldest point of the forecast, then I'd recommend you prepare for that, and not be at the mercy of whether or not a hostel has a blanket...since in my experience it wasn't always guaranteed.

If, on the other hand, you feel fine at night when it's the coldest point of the forecast, then you may want to just bring along a sleeping liner or light sheet.

As far as shoes go, don't buy anything new. Wear what you've been training in, and hopefully that will be better for you than breaking in new waterproof shoes.

Let us all know if you have any other questions. Enjoy all the planning (and don't be too nervous - you can always tweak and adjust when you're here and realize with more accuracy what does and doesn't work for you) and Buen Camino!
Faith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some albergues can be quite chilly at night in early summer. I always take my sleeping bag and a silk liner. Even if an albergue has blankets, there might not be enough for everyone, and some albergues do not use mattress covers. My 'indoor' sleeping bag is good to 15C and is cotton on one side and lightly quilted on the other, so I can use it with either side on top. I would never leave home without it!

Dear all,

Yuling

You should have your trekking shoes well broken in i.e. 2 to 3 months walking. Trail shoe fine

I'm reading this post sitting in the courtyard of Albergue Las Águedas in Murias de Rechivaldo on our first Camino. Despite purchasing one of those Costco quilts, we still brought sleeping bags. I've only been cold once (at Pensión Miguel in Santo Domingo-be fair warned). If I have used it, I've been too hot. Someone on the Camino must haves heard the complaining about cold albergues, because they'll plenty hot now. Seek a sleeping bag alternative and save the weight.

My waterproof boots have been effective...at giving me blisters between my toes! We are now stopping every two hours to dry the new very breathable socks. Non-breathable boots will cause you trouble (see @oregonwalkingman on Instagram for photo evidence). Plus, in during the one major rainstorm we experienced my boots got soaked. It could pour the water out of them. They, of course, were saved by the fabulous newspaper trick!

Just an N of 1.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You should have your trekking shoes well broken in i.e. 2 to 3 months walking. Trail shoe fine
Trail runners don't really require a break in period.
Last year I bought a second pair of the same style of shoe that I trained in. I wore them just a few times before the Camino and had no problems.

Last year I bought a second pair of the same style of shoe that I trained in. I wore them just a few times before the Camino and had no problems.
Thanks everybody. I really love the loving community!!. I have now 3 pairs of boots ( 2 old ones , one new one) to choose from. I will carry a keen saddle as backup. Unfortunately they all waterproof :-(. I have another newly bought trail runner which is not waterproof. I am not sure whether I should wear boots for the sake of protecting my ankle since I will be carrying weight. Right now my backpack is at 17 lb without water and I weight 117 lbs :-(

I bought myself a pair of Saloman hiking boots. I walked from SJPdP to Santiago with only one tiny blister and no sprains. It is a bit like asking "do I need a helmet when cycling on my bike?" Most times you won' t need it, but there are times that you'll be glad you were wearing it. Similarly on the camino most of it you can easily manage with light trail shoes, however, there are times that you will be ankle deep in mud and other times when the terrain is very rocky and you'll be glad you had the ankle suppport.
It's a judgement call, there is no right or wrong answer.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I bought myself a pair of Saloman hiking boots. I walked from SJPdP to Santiago with only one tiny blister and no sprains. It is a bit like asking "do I need a helmet when cycling on my bike?" Most times you won' t need it, but there are times that you'll be glad you were wearing it. Similarly on the camino most of it you can easily manage with light trail shoes, however, there are times that you will be ankle deep in mud and other times when the terrain is very rocky and you'll be glad you had the ankle suppport.
It's a judgement call, there is no right or wrong answer.
Base on your comments, I have decided to take my old hiking boots! Thanks a lot !! Yuling

That's very good news as i've not bought my trail shoes yet and being 6 June - SJPP to Santiago :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.