• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes are good, pack is good.

jo webber

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 9th 2017
After several months of unhappy feet, pack weight too heavy, unloading, reloading, changing out items ....... a lot. Three pair of sandals, wool socks, regular socks, sock liners, knee high hose, full panty hose ..... I finally got it figured out and my feet are happy. My back is happy. I will not go naked LOL.
Sandals are Eco Yuccan. It took a few months and about 100 miles to really get them broken in. Never got blisters, they were just very stiff at first.

Sock liners are thick knee highs which fit tight, but not too tight. Socks are thigh high regular socks, they keep my legs warm. Shower shoes are Teva sandals, water proof. The Tevas have a thick enough sole to wear around town and maybe a bit of hiking if I need to change shoes for a bit on a long day. (1 pr socks on, 1 pr in the pack, socks & liners) Also one pair light pedi socks & one pair heavy pedi when it is cold.

Pants are 100% polyester hicking pants with lots of pockets. Thin and fast drying. Then a pair of shorts of the same material.

Two light weight long sleeve shirts, two short sleeve (but long) T-shirts. (1 wear, 1 in pack)

One wind proof, water proof jacket.
One scarf, one knitted hat, one pr gloves.
One light caftan, shower time, washing clothes, lounging around, wear around town if it is warm out.
One pr of heavy wool socks to wear lounging around (so no shoes on), or if I am freezing.
One bra on, one in pack.
Ten tiny, thin panty liners.

One silk bag liner, lg size so I don't feel trapped.
One fleece bag liner, zipper cut off and cut down (still big enough to wrap up in and stay warm). We are going in Sept through Oct. Going slow.
One zip lock bag with shower stuff - not too much but what I will need.
One spork. One rain poncho for the pack and I.
Phone and charger.
Head lamp.
Two, one liter water bottles. Good quality plastic, dropped one full of water about 3ft and it didn't break, leak or scratch.
Chap stick & mint sheets(super tiny).
Small zip lock with 1/2 roll of toilet paper.
One nylon small sack with strings for a carry around bag or shopping bag.
One flipbelt, worn around hips for cards & cash etc.
One tiny wallet for pack pouch with daily cash.
Nylon flat pouch for passport.
One small puzzle book and a pen.
Two hook things to hang stuff that is wet from my pack, if needed.
Six dipper pins and 1oz dish soap for laundry.
Medical items, small amounts. Needle, thread and tiny scissors.
I still need to put in my medication, but it doesn't weight much and I can get refills in Spain (I think, will check later).

I have no idea how much it weights, it works and doesn't feel heavy at all. The pack is an Osprey 34L and weights just under 3lbs. It isn't full and I don't intend on putting anything more in it. It looks like a huge list, but everything is light weight. Everything fits into the zippered areas so I can take it as carry on for the flight.

Reading hundreds of post here has helped me greatly to know what I need, what I don't, what I can easily buy in Spain. There are still things to learn, still miles to build up for training, still need to find some hills (did learn about parking garages). Thanks to everyone here I feel progress, I feel more comfortable with this undertaking. I feel confident, which I am sure the first several days on the Camino will take right out of me, but I can keep going.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Took my pack for a 5 mile walk today (flat city area). It felt good, wasn't hard. First time I did 5 miles without pushing myself the last mile. Went slow and took two breaks, food & coffee.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.