• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes, boots and or sandals

JanMary

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
Kia ora koutou,

I will be walking my first Camino in June and am hoping someone can help me with some footwear queries.
I normally walk in Keen short boots (winter) or Keen newport sandals (summer). I've read advice that says it's a good idea to take both boots and open sandals for a summer Camino. What do others recommend, and will the Keen newport sandals be okay? Does anyone have recommendations for other good walking sandals?

A second query is what kind of sleeping bag to take - I'm wondering about a sleeping bag liner plus a fleece blanket/liner for extra warmth if needed, rather than a lightweight bag.

Many thanks
Jan

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you are comfortable in the Keen Newport sandals, which have a closed toe, I don't see any reason to change for the Camino. Remember, that most of the Camino is just plain walking.
I certainly wouldn't switch to boots in the summer when you are used to the sandals. A lightweight hiking shoe or trail runner would also be appropriate.

No need at all for boots. Not at all. Your treking sandals are all you need, especially if you are already ised to walking in them.

The liner plus light blanket is a great combo. I now use a duvet throw (in May):
https://www.costco.com/Double-Black-Diamond-Packable-Down-Throw-2-pack.product.100314979.html

But have also used one of these super light and low volume blankets often given as freebees, and was just as light but less bulky:
https://www.4imprint.com/search/blanket/product/121368/Rally-Blanket-with-Pouch

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The reason that you are being advised to take shoes and sandals is that the majority of the albergues have you remove your walking footwear before entering the sleeping areas. Peregrinos then put on their second pair of footwear to walk around the albergue and the city/town in which it resides. This allows their primary walking footwear to air out. There are minimalists that only carry one pair of footwear, but most carry two. I wore primarily a pair of Keen Voyageur and picked up a pair of Keen Newport in Spain. My original open sandals did not work out. Just be aware that you need to use a pair of footwear that are a 1/2 to a full size larger than what you normally would wear. If you are wondering why I picked two heavy shoes, it is because I have very large feet, which severely limited my options.

As far as the sleeping bag, I fully recommend the Montbell Alpine Down Hugger 800 thermal sheet if you are under 6 ft tall. If you are over 6ft, the Sea to Summit Traveler TR1 in one if the 2 larger sizes would be a better option. Actually any 50 degree Fahrenheit would do. If you can sleep colder, the Quechua 20 degree Celsius bag that folds into a pillow may work for you, if you can find it. If you are walking into July, the Sea to Summit Coolmax Liner with Insect Shield may be a better choice.

Kia ora koutou,

I will be walking my first Camino in June and am hoping someone can help me with some footwear queries.
I normally walk in Keen short boots (winter) or Keen newport sandals (summer). I've read advice that says it's a good idea to take both boots and open sandals for a summer Camino. What do others recommend, and will the Keen newport sandals be okay? Does anyone have recommendations for other good walking sandals?

A second query is what kind of sleeping bag to take - I'm wondering about a sleeping bag liner plus a fleece blanket/liner for extra warmth if needed, rather than a lightweight bag.

Many thanks
Jan
To answer your sleeping bag question. I walked in August/September and used a silk liner and this super lightweight Montbell down blanket. It's very small, but when tucked into my silk liner kept me plenty warm.

IMHO, the answer is "it depends..."
  • If you are small / petite hiking sandals or low shoes may work for you.
  • If you are very nimble and light on foot and walk lightly on the earth, the same applies...
  • If you are larger, but have strong ankles, the same applies.
  • If you are of any size, but are carrying a rucksack lighter than 10 Kg all-in weight, same as above.
However,

If you are:
  • large-framed (like me),
  • heavy for your height (like me),
  • have notoriously weak ankles (guilty), or
  • typically carry upwards of 11 - 12 kg. in your rucksack (you guessed it, tag, I'm it),
I seriously recommend the extra support provided by study, well made, ankle-high or mid-height boots. Personally, I swear by my Keen Targhee II mid-high waterproof (Gore-Tex) boots. But, and I hasten to add, there are MANY quality brands of footwear out there.

Also, I plead with you to have the shoes fitted, while you are wearing the socks you plan to wear on Camino, and at the end of a day where you have been on your feet a lot, by someone in a shop that actually knows what they are doing. This means buying your boots in an outdoor sports shop that has staff who are accomplished hikers or runners. They understand the principles I relate here.

If you MUST economize and try to shop online, I still recommend being fitted in a shop, then using that knowledge to shop for the best price for the identical item online. However, in my experience, once you factor shipping costs, the end result is usually near the same. I suggest that the amount saved, if any, is false economy. So, I usually advise keeping your trade / business local. If you have difficulties with the new shows, this will be beyond value.

Regardless of the style of footwear you opt for, the boot, shoe, sandal should be sufficiently larger than your street shoe size to:
  • Allow for wearing two-pairs of socks (ultra thin liner for friction reduction and wicking moisture from your feet, and a thick outer sock for cushioning and warmth)...
  • ... and with the two pair of socks to provide a minimum of one-half size for daily foot swelling
  • ... with the two considerations above, to allow for "splaying" or foot size increase from walking with a constant load for weeks on end, and
  • ... must avoid your toes rubbing or banging against the inside of the toe box / cap, or overhanging the front of your sandals. You must have a "bumper" to protect your toes.
As regards my point concerning "splaying" after four Caminos, one each year, my feet are now permanently one-half size larger than they were before I started this benign madness called the Camino. I verified this recently using one of those funny metal foot measuring devices in a local shoe shop. My foot did not get wider, just a tad longer...go figure...

Also, and regardless of size, or style you opt for, the footwear should have an enclosed toe box or cap to provide maximum support for your toes on downhill segments. You WILL be sorry if your footwear is too small or does not afford this basic protection to your "tootsies."

When you are fitting your footwear, and with the shoes, or boots laced properly, intentionally kick something solid to see if your toes contact the inside of the toe box / cap. If the shop has a simulated hill (REI shops in the US usually do) walk up and down.

If laced properly, your heel should remain in the heel counter / box, and your toes should NEVER touch the inside of the toe box or cap. You should be able to wiggle your toes in the toe box. If your toes do strike the inside of the toe box, even if wearing two pair of socks, increase the size by one-half, or until the rubbing against the inside front of the toe box stops.

Remember, on the Camino, every up has a down. And coming down can be more perilous and dangerous to your feet than going up.

Over the years, I have seen dozens of folks wearing either too small shoes / boots, or footwear without a covered toe box, with blisters, bruises and lost toenails...not too mention lots of blood...yuck! It diminishes the quality and enjoyment of your Camino, can cause serious health issues. Moreover, it is so easily avoided by upsizing one-half or one full size, or more, as indicated here.

Remember, the two most critical items you will buy for your Camino are footwear and a rucksack. DO NOT SCRIMP. Buy what works best, regardless of the costs involved. In my long experience, you will remember the quality long after you forgot how much you paid for them.

I hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Kia ora, JanMary.

I travelled in mid-May (Sarria to Santiago) and didn't use my light-weight sleeping bag once.... just the silk liner bag (but I do feel the heat at night.)

I had trail shoes, and had short gaiters so I wouldn't get stones etc in my shoes (which is why I personally wouldn't enjoy walking in sandals) and had super lightweight thongs (jandals) for use in the Camino.

The grip on my shoes wasn't great, so I would certainly choose a better sole next time.

The gaiters really helped keep my shoes gunk-free when walking in rain and mud (OK, except when my right foot slipped off a rock and went straight down, down, down into the mud.... kind of funny!)

We've walked twice. First time in summer (July 2014). Started in boots. They got wet in the Pyrenees and would not dry out because they were Goretex (and it kept raining). Then, we got to Pamplona and it started getting very hot. Wet + heat + friction = epic blisters. The boots were given to the nuns in Santa Domingo. What followed was an odyssey of shoe buying (most expensive thing on the trip). Finally, in Leon, found a pair of Keen Newports and Merrell shoes (very breathable), that got me to Santiago and further. The sandals were for rain and rougher trails/gravel roads. The shoes were for asphalt and concrete (and there was lots of those stretches).

Second time, slightly reworked the kit. Still went with Keen sandals, but this time the Arroyo II. Better tread. And now the walking shoes were New Balance. The NB were not perfect, and would not have been breathable enough for summer (I have very wide feet, and NB has wide shoes). So that part of the kit would be revised for a summer Camino.

I would change shoes at least once of twice a day, depending on how the walking surface changed. I think that was critical. My wife had Hoka trail runners that were perfect for her, but her feet did worse than mine just because she could not change during the day. The one day I could not change because it was all asphalt (2d day after Santiago on way to Muxia) and the Keens are horrible on asphalt. That was the only day I got a blister (very small, but still, after walking from SJPP to SdC without any?).

YMMV. Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Kia ora koutou,

Many thanks
Jan
Hi Jan We have walked the Camino from St Jean twice and a few other sections of the Frances and for me the choice is as you have outlined a pair of walking shoes or boots + Keens I have never had blisters with the Keens which I adopted after my first Camino and I would say that each time I use them I cover two thirds of the journey wearing them. The only negative is the ingress of little stones every so often but that is easily dealt with and not as frequent as you may expect Have a great time

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Jan. You have already received plenty of good advice. Based on my Caminos and other hikes if you are comfortable walking all day in your Keen Newport sandals they'll probably be ok for the Frances. The Frances is not a wilderness hike, you will be walking through towns and on sidewalks everyday and your pack will be relatively light. Serious hiking boots are overkill. If you want to hike in a light boot or enclosed shoe then Merrel Moabs, Oboz or even a trail runner should be fine. Just make sure you have walked enough miles in them to know your feet are happy in them. As mentioned above I would also pack a light weight pair flip-flops for the hostels, even if Keen Newport's sandals are your hiking shoes. I think your idea of bringing a bag liner instead of a sleeping is great, that's all I ever carried. I only needed a blanket once or twice and the hostels had them. I also sprayed my bag liner with Permethrin and had no problems with bed bugs. If you want more details on what I packed and why or how to fit boots you can see the post here: https://brickthomasblog.wordpress.com/2013/10/17/camino-what-to-pack/ Have a great hike. Brick

I wear well made hiking sandals, with a good tread, even on the Norte when I carried a 14 kilo pack. I've probably walked over 3000 km since I changed from shoes to sandals. No problems. I don't have particularly good ankles (I broke one several years ago - wearing shoes, on an ordinary suburban street) and I do rely heavily on trekking sticks. For me trekking sticks are much more use in preventing injury than boots or shoes. And it can get very hot on the Camino in June.

So I say, if you are used to hiking sandals - go with those. I also take crocs (or similar) to wear in the showers and give my sandals some breathing time.

Wow! thanks so much for all this wonderful advice. I really appreciate it. I'm off to do some serious thinking ...

Thanks again, you are all amazing - so appreciate your willingness to share :)

Jan

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.