• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes for Camino Portuguese after recovering from ankle injury

elatkd1

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese Coastal 2023
Hello everybody,
I broke my ankle three moths ago, now I am okay, my ankle does not hurt, I walk almost like before my injury. The Camino is calling me so I want to set off. Which shoes would you please recommend me for Camino Portuguese in February? I am quite worried about ankle pain, however I just feel it is my time…now or never. Thank you for your answers in advance.
BUEN CAMINO!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think that in your position I would want to consult a medical professional with full knowledge of your injury and your recovery. However well intentioned a reply given here may be it is no substitute for properly informed professional advice. Many people find some stages of the Camino Portugues very hard on the feet because of the stone setts paving the way.

I think that in your position I would want to consult a medical professional with full knowledge of your injury and your recovery. However well intentioned a reply given here may be it is no substitute for properly informed professional advice. Many people find some stages of the Camino Portugues very hard on the feet because of the stone setts paving the way.
and boy do I remember those stone setts! Fully agree with consulting medical professional.

Samarkand.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've broken my left ankle and also suffered a couple of strain type injury to the left knee as well. I need walking shoes with support, grip and cushioning when I walk the Camino. I've worn four different types and found the Oboz brand sawtooth shoes to be the best for me.
I would say if your ankle is healed and you've been given a clean bill of health already, once you find the shoes for you you can get to training and walking the Camino.

Welcome to the forum!

I agree that you should first consult with your doctor and perhaps a physiotherapist, to get a better idea of what type of shoe and/or insert you should use, and also whether February 2022 might be too earlier for your Camino.

The best way to find out how your body responds to long day-after-day walking is start doing that walking. However, don't over-do it at the start - you should build up gradually, and it might take some adjustments and time to determine which shoes work best for you.

Beware the Coastal route. There is a lot of hardscape. Hard on the knees and feet.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I haven’t broken an ankle, but I’ve got a long history of tendinitis and torn tendons in both my feet. I wear hiking boots for the support. I did the Central route last summer, and the first few days were brutal…the stone was oh so painful by the end of the day, and these were really good boots!

Just find what works for you!

Hi, Elatkd1, I also broke my ankle two years ago. It's not quite the same as it was before, but it's pretty darn close. I hope you keep feeling well! I really appreciate your question. It is pretty normal to be wondering about what might work for you now! My main concern after my ankle had healed was slipping - so I now pay more attention to the bottom of my shoes than I did before. I also appreciate zero drop shoes without a lot of cushioning because I want to feel the ground more. I have used both altra timps and lone peaks. I appreciate the 'grippiness' of the lone peaks a bit more. The message I received from both my physician and physio was just to use common sense to figure out what kinds of activities might be possible. Pain is an important message. Listen to your body! The more walking you do regularly the more you will get to know what is normal for your ankle now. Good luck!

I fractured my ankle last year and bought a pair of high over the ankle boots. Tied the shoelaces tight and am back in the hills again. Check YouTube for the best way to tie your shoelaces.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello everybody,
I broke my ankle three moths ago, now I am okay, my ankle does not hurt, I walk almost like before my injury. The Camino is calling me so I want to set off. Which shoes would you please recommend me for Camino Portuguese in February? I am quite worried about ankle pain, however I just feel it is my time…now or never. Thank you for your answers in advance.
BUEN CAMINO!
In February 2018 I broke my fibula just above the syndesmosis in two places. It took a small bone graft and a plate with four screws to put it back together. I walked the CF this year wearing Hoka One One Kaha Gore-Tex boots and carrying a 12 kilo pack. Fortunately I had ZERO problems, no pain, nothing. When the doctor say you are good to go, enjoy and buen Camino.

Before walking my first camino since knee replacement surgery last year, I purchased made-to-measure orthotics to wear in my boots, to give proper support and comfort after my surgery. You might ask your doctor or physiotherapist if this would be a good idea for you and where you could purchase them. Don't leave it too long if you are going next month, as it takes a little time to get them made.

My sweetie broke his leg (the long triangle type of fracture at the bottom) in 2017. I remember the doctor telling him to do ankle exercises...tracing letters or just rotating the foot...I also remember that after his leg healed, the Birthday Angel brought him a pair of hiking poles and he was very happy. Since then, we went back in 2018 and completed that Camino and this past year we walked the Salvador and the Primitivo.
You need to pay attention to strengthening your leg and ankle and you can do it.
Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello everybody,
BUEN CAMINO!
Good high walking boots with high clips (like ski boots). Make sure they and your muscles are well broken in before the camino. Two pairs of socks (inner thin, outer thick) help prevent blisters. I walked for 3 weeks and had no problems with blisters.

Hello everybody,
BUEN CAMINO!
I broke my ankle resulting in surgery to place nine pins and a plate on the surrounding bones. I walked the Camino years later and found there was a slight weakness to the ankle/leg resulting in not lifting the foot high enough over cobblestones. It was not something I had noticed until the Camino.

You say you are almost walking like before so be aware of that the Camino can present challenges to your walking gait that urban or lighter hikes walks do not. Hopefully you will consult and get clearance from your doctor. Your physical therapist is likely the person who can best advise for shoes for the type of ankle break you experienced.

¡Buen Camino!

A good ankle brace would assist with your concern. I had failed ankle surgery and one was given me by my podiatrist. Locks up tight and I walked 150 miles on the Frances using it and low quarter shoes.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Having walked two caminos after healing from a break in my right fibula near the ankle, I can say that the preparation, i.e., extending your distances slowly (no more than 10% increase per week) and practicing good stretching techniques for your ankle each day should help you make it through.
For cheap advice, go to YouTube and look up ankle/foot stretches and strengthening moves. Or, a bit more expensive (but worth it IMO), go to a local Physical Therapist and do what they say.
For shoes, I walked in Salomon Trail Hikers -- they were fine for both the CF (SJPDP to SdC) and CP (from Lisboa to SdC). Now I hike in Hoka ATR6 trail shoes, as the wide base and excellent cushioning keep my feet/ankles secure and they have excellent grip in wet terrain.
Buen Camino

Hello everybody,
BUEN CAMINO!
Hi elatkd1. I have weak ankles after playing football all my life so I use menial boots as they offer lots of protection especially from rolling my ankle.

Mark

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.