• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes for Camino

thruhiker

After reading a lot of info on the website about shoes I decided to take Hiking Boots when I hiked the Camino in late March. As far as I was concerned it was the biggest mistake I made in reference to gear. With the amout of road or bike path type walking a comfortable pair of walking shoes or trail running shoes is the way to go. A Spanish doctor who treated my many blisters near the start
advised that boots were not the correst choice but to buy trail running shoes. And on the Camino I did buy two pair which allowed me to complete the walk to Santaigo. I simply don't think there is enough rough trail to justify boots. Because of the cold and rain I used most of my gear every day but the boots were a big time mistake. But overall the Camino is a great way to discover northern Spain and meet a lot of interesting people.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am sorry to hear about your experience.

I must admit that I prefer to do long walks in hiking boots. At much the same time of year in 2010, I walked the Camino Frances in boots. The one blister that I did get formed in Pamplona when I had put my boots on in a hurry to join friends and walk around the city. I didn't put on my liner socks, and noticed that a hot spot was forming. At that stage I returned to the albergue, but we were well away from it at that stage, and in the walk back the hot spot blistered. Whether wearing shoes would have made a difference is difficult to tell.

I agree with your observation that there are long stretches of good path and road between the really rough bits, but I don't think that was enough to make a different choice of footwear. My other injury was a twisted knee, when I rolled my foot early one morning on a small rock on the edge of the asphalt road shortly before San Anton. I think this would have been much worse if I had been wearing shoes, and twisted my ankle as well as my knee. As it was, I was able to continue after resting for most of that day at Castrojeriz.

That said, I know many people successfully walk the Camino in shoes; its just not a choice that I would make.

Regards,

My hiking boots for mountainous terrain are not flexible enough for the Camino, and would cause blisters. I use low cut boots, which are a bit more solid than trainers, and have better ankle support. High boots would be best for preventing turned ankles, but my trekking poles solve that problem. I think that most pilgrims would find that rough terrain hiking boots would be too much, though if they are broken in and flexible, they might not cause blisters. The difficult decision is deciding in advance if boots will be a problem or a benefit. I suspect that the trend will be to lighter boots/shoes. Cautious walking can protect the ankles.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I walked in trailrunners last year against most peoples advise (including the staff at outdoor shops, they are taught religiously to only sell boots).

Anyways, I didnt have any blisters or footproblems whatsoever on the way. Most people who had big problems wore boots and more than one pair was shipped home along the way.

I agree there isn't much anklesupport, but then again, if one compare the likelyhood of twisted ankles to blisters for me the choice is clear. I met a ton of people with blisters but not even one with a twisted ankle.

Anyways, people should do what they are comfortable with, but I would never recommend anything but shoes if I were to be asked, and this year I got a new pair of the same model as last year.

Just one thing to consider. Get shoes for the same style as you would get for running (if you don't know your style ask for a test and walk instead of run) They will tell you that for trailrunning it is ok that the shoes are for mild pronation even if you are neutral, but I believe that this is not the case for walking the camino (& my fysiotherapist agrees with me on this point)

I live in the northest US and do a lot of hiking on the Applachian Trail and also some off trail stuff. On these type of trail systems you run in very rocky terain, and area's where there are a lot of bolders to hike over and thru. I do use mid weight hiking boots on this type of trail, however, the Camino does not have a lot of rough trail. If 1% of the Camino is rough or rocky I would be suprised. When I first bought a pair of trail runners on the Camino the owner of the store had a big box of discarded hiking boots. Of course I added mine to help fill up the box. I also used hiking poles on the Camino which helped with balance when you got tired. Even on something like the AT most thruhikers are going to lighter wight boots or even trail runners and this trail is 2100+- miles.

Attempting my first part-Camino on June 1st, Leon to Santiago and yesterday I was thinking about the footwear choice - my walking boots or Goretex Salomon walking shoes, worn in but still in good shape. Was leaning towards the boots for no other reason than perhaps simplistically "long walk - boots must be best". But I'm reconsidering after following your conversation above - particularly since it's not the full Camino (yet!). Views appreciated, thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The simple answer is both work

you must get your socks right
you must get your inner sole right
only then you can get your footwear right.

If you are lucky enough to walk in shoes great but any doubt then it's boot for you & me :D .

You are going to have sore feet, that's a given; how sore is an unknown!
Blisters are preventable, & avoidable.

I recently completed the Camino Frances in 30 days and on 29 of those days it rained at some time or other. We had to walk a lot of paths with very thick mud (and animal dung in some places) and I was very glad I was wearing boots. I had no trouble whatsoever with the boots on the hard paths and roads. I saw people with very flimsy trainers who had a lot more problems.

robmcd said:
I recently completed the Camino Frances in 30 days and on 29 of those days it rained at some time or other. We had to walk a lot of paths with very thick mud (and animal dung in some places) and I was very glad I was wearing boots. I had no trouble whatsoever with the boots on the hard paths and roads. I saw people with very flimsy trainers who had a lot more problems.

I agree, just seeing those plastic bags on shoes looks ridiculous :lol:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree that it's personal choice. I've never had a really good pair of shoes so maybe I'm not comparing like with like, but I prefer boots for the way they affect my overall posture. Some boots (and possibly shoes as well) just seem to make you want to walk! That's probably the most important thing. My last Camino was in boots and blister-free.

Buen Camino!

I had no trouble whatsoever with the boots on the hard paths and roads.
Boots with flexible soles may not be a problem, but I found that my boots that have a rigid sole are very bad on flat terrain. They are a stable platform for rough and rocky trails, but do not flex enough to prevent chafing at the toe and heel on road walking. I would suggest finding a high boot that has lots of flex. Then you get the ankle support in a boot that does not fight flat terrain.

So far I have noticed that the right insoles and socks are key, more so than the shoes. I have chosen for a mid-high boot with a flexable vribram sole to get the best of both worlds. Plus for me, regular hiking in wet places, means that being waterproof is a requirement too. And higher boots, goretex or not, keep more water out than low shoes. This is especially nice in swampy surroundings in for example Scotland, or Wales where I am heading next this summer.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm a writer, and during the last two weeks I've been researching stories about hiking the Bay Area and the Pacific Crest Trail (both in the U.S.). Everything I've come across says that more and more, hikers are leaving their boots behind and going with running shoes or trail running shoes. The Pacific Crest, incidentally, is 2,650 miles, and goes through terrain that is a lot rougher than the Camino. I've hiked in running shoes and boots, and had my best luck rotating daily -- this helps prevent tendinitis and blisters and such, because different shoes hit different "hot spots" on your feet.

Melanie

Lots of great insight & advice, thank you! There were a few mentions of liner socks, which I haven't used before. What are they, or what are they called / made from? thanks again, George

Liner socks usually are silk or polypropylene, silk being stronger and more expensive. I recently purchased some that were a blend of merino wool and polypro -- they are a bit thicker in the heels and toes, but did not alter the fit of my boot. Polypro can be found for as little as about $1 a pair.

At about $2.50 a pair:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/rocky- ... rFamily=01

A bit more:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___01095

Silk example:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___68170

A good brand:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produ ... 889&ppp=69

Go green:
http://www.rei.com/product/813877/rei-r ... iner-socks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I use the Salomon Quest 4D GTX hiking boot on most any hike, either the Appalachian Trail or local Audubon preserve. The boot is light weight, water proof, breathes and requires absolutely no break in period. I went with this boot because I had an ankle ligament reattached two years ago and it offers great ankle support that I need and cannot get in a trail runner shoe. Trekking poles are also a part of any hike now because it takes pressure off my hips, knees and ankles. Footwear is a great topic in this forum but one that can only be answered by the person who will bring various physical abilities and requirements to the Camino. I am bringing liner socks with me and using them for the first time so I'm interested in seeing their efficacy with blister prevention. In any event, I leave for the Camino Frances on Monday for six weeks so I will find out first hand how well my gear performs.

Hi jemitch65, I'm leaving in 2 weeks tomorrow for Leon - hope our paths cross! - if you start from SJPP out timing might overlap, and thanks for your insight on footware & liner socks, kind regards & Buen Camino

I am bringing liner socks with me and using them for the first time so I'm interested in seeing their efficacy with blister prevention.
Using Vaseline of SportSlick improves the efficacy of liner socks. Besides repelling moisture, the ointment helps the liner sock adhere to the foot so that the friction is between the liner sock and the main sock, which is the dynamic of the two sock system -- to have the friction be limited to the sock layers.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
anfear said:
Hi jemitch65, I'm leaving in 2 weeks tomorrow for Leon - hope our paths cross! - if you start from SJPP out timing might overlap, and thanks for your insight on footware & liner socks, kind regards & Buen Camino

Hello Anfear. Will keep an eye out for you too on the Camino. You might be a little ahead of me but we may cross paths somewhere in Galicia! Buen Camino.

falcon269 said:
I am bringing liner socks with me and using them for the first time so I'm interested in seeing their efficacy with blister prevention.
Using Vaseline of SportSlick improves the efficacy of liner socks. Besides repelling moisture, the ointment helps the liner sock adhere to the foot so that the friction is between the liner sock and the main sock, which is the dynamic of the two sock system -- to have the friction be limited to the sock layers.

Thank you for the tip Falcon. I am making one last trip to REI to pick up a second pair of liner socks and will look for the SportSlick you mentioned. I have used this website fairly extensively in preparing for the Camino and appreciate the many posts you have made in this forum. Keep up the good work!

mmm042 said:
I'm a writer, and during the last two weeks I've been researching stories about hiking the Bay Area and the Pacific Crest Trail (both in the U.S.). Everything I've come across says that more and more, hikers are leaving their boots behind and going with running shoes or trail running shoes. The Pacific Crest, incidentally, is 2,650 miles, and goes through terrain that is a lot rougher than the Camino.
Here's the issue I'm bumping up against with the idea of doing the Camino in trail running shoes: most trail running shoe manufacturers say that the lifetime mileage for their shoes is 300-500 miles. That's just barely enough to get from SJPdP to Santiago in the best case, with no training or break in period for the shoes at all. They certainly must be worn out at the end of the PCT--or do people mail themselves shoes at various points on the trail? I guess that could be done for the Camino too!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wore the salomon speedcross last year and have a new pair for this year. I didn't need any breaking in last time, so am actually just contemplating a short (8-10km) break-in walk this year to make sure it will be the same. In addition I wear smartwool trekking socks, and my feet were happy.

I walked about 600km in them and they almost are worn out (but could probably do a bit longer), but part og that is due to walking on so much asphalt in portugal, (was less on the frances part i walked). I think actually the mine are the least durable of the kind, but as they are also the most schock absorbant and glovelike of their kind they are good for my back issues and i couldn't find a pair to trade them with that was as comfortable.

Most the other trailrunners i looked at I was told should last longer and could probably do a whole camino. If I was to walk all the way theres a small town on the meseta (the one with the nuns and I think theres monks having an albergue just when you enter on the left with single beds, anyone?) they are about half way and have a good store for equipment and i would consider swopping there if needed. Main thing is to avoid alfalt when possible....

Piccata said:
most trail running shoe manufacturers say that the lifetime mileage for their shoes is 300-500 miles.

That is 300-500 RUNNING miles. The force of foot strikes while running is several times greater than if walking. Thus shoes wear down more quickly. Accordingly when the shoes are worn for walking rather than running, as most are on the Camino, they will quite easily last two to three times longer.

Thanks for that Markss. Makes perfect sense. I was wondering about that as well but it never even occurred to me that the mileage stated might be for running as opposed to walking ... even though the shoes are "running" shoes. Doh!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That is 300-500 RUNNING miles. The force of foot strikes while running is several times greater than if walking. Thus shoes wear down more quickly. Accordingly when the shoes are worn for walking rather than running, as most are on the Camino, they will quite easily last two to three times longer.

Yes, and to clarify further, when you talk about running shoes wearing out, they mean the interior cushioning breaks down and compresses. Thus if you continue to run in them when the shock absorption inside is compressed, you're at some risk for injury. But even at 300-500 miles, many running shoes still look pretty good from the exterior and can even feel comfy. So as Markss said, walking in running shoes will make them last much longer. And even if the shock absorption compresses over time on the Camino, you're still not at as much risk as a runner, as the force is less.

Melanie

markss said:
Piccata said:
most trail running shoe manufacturers say that the lifetime mileage for their shoes is 300-500 miles.

depends on the shoes really. For normal running shoes I agree that is the case....

The trailrunners outside soles are not as durable as the normal runningshoes because they are not made for asfalt which is one of the points of gettin trailrunners instead of normal running shoes really and if one wears them on asfalt they will wear out fast.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For those looking for alternatives to liner socks, I use womens knee-high nylons for my liner socks. you can get 6 pairs for about $2 and they weigh next to nothing so when they get manky you can just chuck them and move on to the next pair. I used these when I did the APR and on other hikes and I've never gotten blisters. A former marine friend of mine turned me on to them. That's what they'd use when they had long training hikes.

I'm confused on the sock liners...
I have been taught that two pair of socks creates friction, and one should wear only one pair. When we snow ski, hike etc, we have only worn one pair of socks...
Most on this board say two pair, so do any of you just wear one good pair?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I reckon if you have a genuinely comfortable, good quality pair of boots/shoes and hiking socks you're 99% of the way there. I didn't even bother with the Vaseline ritual this year as I thought I was only walking for 10 days or so at a leisurely pace. As it turned out I ended up extending my trip and walking for a month. :roll: Not a blister in sight.

Buen Camino!

Many pilgrims do nothing; some get blisters, some don't. In general, those who use a foot ointment and two pairs of socks don't get blisters (though some do).

There is not a solution for everyone, but if "doing nothing" causes as many blisters as it does, wouldn't it be prudent to be proactive?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
After 900 km July 2010 and 600 km July 2011 I still have not come up with the best solution! Walking shoes yes, vaseline or not, liners or not, taking shoes and socks off during break. No matter WHAT I did I had a terrible problem with blisters :( . Of course the pharmacies just loved me as I became an expert in treating my poor feet.

During that first Camino I averaged 40 km per day so that could very well be the reason but my average was much lower during the 2nd camino (around 30 km) and I made sure that I took off socks and shoes at regular intervals. What I really don't get is how my walking companion walked the same amount of km per day as I did, with a similar type of walking shoe (him Salomon trail shoe and me Merrill) and a much heavier pack (me 6-7 kg) and he did not get ONE blister during the 3 weeks walking together. I on the other hand lost 4 nails and my soles looked like a battle field!!! Go figure...

I am a physiotherapist so I do understand that we all have different body mechanics but could it just be that some people are more sensitive and thus prone to blisters :) ? But seriously...I have no idea what the best solution would be.

Sorry a bit "off-topic"!

Salomon are excellent, I am on my third pair. Actually just went out to break them in and almost god a blister, fairly certain it was the socks not the shoes though.

Loosing 4 nails make me think that your shoes were too small though or not tied properly...

I would agree with Pieces that they might not be the right fit. I bought a pair of Keen hiking shoes that felt great in the shop and was helped by the assistant for fit. I've been walking in them and they are the worst shoes I've ever had. No blisters but my feet are beginning to look like a ballerina's. They even take the polish off my toes. They are not uncomfortable per se (I'm not in pain) but I notice them on my feet, if that makes sense. I plan to go out and get new shoes next weekend. That shoe/brand was just not for me or my feet. Perhaps Merrills just aren't for you?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You just may be right Jill. I have had 4 different Merrills (yep 4!). The first half of the Francés I had a pair that were indeed too small so sent them home and bought 1 size larger in the Corte Inglés in León. As they were actually too big (no 1/2 size available) so I bought a liner which I had not used up to that point. My feet at this time were already in bad shape and in the end I am not sure that it made much difference.

Determined to do beter the second time around I bought what I thought was a "proper" fitting Merrill with Goretex. These were really warm for summer walking so I bought ANOTHER pair before leaving without Gortex...this time I did try vaseline without avail.

I have always walked in the heat of the summer (35-40 C along the Via de la Plata) and so my feet do swell quite a bit. This makes it difficult getting the right size beforehand. In fact when I returned home and went out for I walk I thought that my feet must of shrunk!

Salomon are on sale here, maybe try those!

sounds like merrell are not your thing so stop buing those ! :shock:

also, it is lengthwise the should be too big for the width you should be able to tie yourself out of the problem, if not find another shoe

I like solomon, but not any solomon, try them on and see if they fit, and as jill says, late in the day...

and get good socks too if you dont have allready

€83,-
Have Smartwool socks so don't think that is the problem...at 20 euro a pair they were a real investment! Do believe that some have more sensitive feet/skin than others. Even with good Vibram soles on my Merrills I often felt the rocks and stones.

Someone one suggested soaking feet in black tea before leaving to toughen up the skin. Wonder if anyone has tried that?

Either way will definately tried another shoe brand!

I am having a problem with blisters as well:). Am on the Camino right now in Burgos. Have blisters on both feet, around and behind big toe. Am wearing Solaman ( sp) shoes Have tried Vaseline, sock liners etc. my pack is fairly light 7 kgs. Just sort of grinning and sort of bearing it!

I used hiking shoes from North Face, ankle high. When I bought my shoes, I wore the pair of socks I was going to use for the Camino. I have wide feet and made sure that plus the socks I was wearing I still had just enough space to wiggle my toes. The North Face guy suggested that I use 2 pairs of socks: a pair of sock liners (thin)and then a pair of sport socks (thick). He explained that the friction will be between the socks and not between the socks and my skin.

It also helped that I used my shoes a month or so before I walked the Camino. I used the same pair of shoes in 2009 when I walked from St. Jean Pied-de-Port to Santiago de Compostela (780 kms) and again in 2011 from Le Puy-en-Velay to Santiago de Compostela (1500kms). I am grateful for the suggestions I received because I did not have any blister or any problem with my feet in both Caminos. I also had a walking stick which I found very useful for support and for defense against dogs. Perhaps it also helped to walk gently and enjoy the walk not just the destination.

Buen Camino,
Manny D.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
the socks I wore today are smartwool quite expensive ones too, expensive socks are very different from each other, and material and price are no guarantee. I brought 3 different kinds last year and ended up always wearing the same...

LTfit said:
After 900 km July 2010 and 600 km July 2011 I still have not come up with the best solution! Walking shoes yes, vaseline or not, liners or not, taking shoes and socks off during break. No matter WHAT I did I had a terrible problem with blisters :( . Of course the pharmacies just loved me as I became an expert in treating my poor feet.

I wonder if you have tried taping your blister-prone areas before walking? Some ultra-marathoners have good luck with this, and there are several breathable types of tape available these days so duct tape is only one (sweaty) option. They often use tape in addition to liner socks and lube. You can read about the various options in unbelievable detail in a book called "Fixing Your Feet" by John Vonhof. I got it from the library! I've had good luck using Micropore on my blister-prone little left toe, but he talks about many other types of tape and the various application techniques. In fact he discusses every foot problem anyone could possibly imagine!

Yes Piccata, I tried tape too. In fact the first day as a preventative measure - just to be safe. And what happened? Got a blister under the tape. I have run 5 marathons, numerous 1/2 marathons, 10 km etc. plus the weekly training that goes along with such distances and I NEVER had one blister. Walking the Camino is something different.

I have kind of resigned myself to the possiblity that I might always get blisters no matter what. Luckily after an hour of walking the pain either dissipates or I just ignore it!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
one of the great lessons of the camino "walk through your pain"

it is amazing how much pain one can actually be in and "not notice"

one of the great lessons of the camino "walk through your pain"
Until they get infected, blisters are almost exclusively pain. No permanent damage has occurred. If you can treat the blisters and keep walking, gutting it out is not a bad idea. I have seen blisters under blisters, so the pain can increase!!

LTfit said:
Yes Piccata, I tried tape too. In fact the first day as a preventative measure - just to be safe. And what happened? Got a blister under the tape. I have run 5 marathons, numerous 1/2 marathons, 10 km etc. plus the weekly training that goes along with such distances and I NEVER had one blister. Walking the Camino is something different.

I have kind of resigned myself to the possiblity that I might always get blisters no matter what. Luckily after an hour of walking the pain either dissipates or I just ignore it!

Are you walking the camino in the same kind of shoes you're running your marathons in? If not, that might be a solution...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just returned a pair of Salomon XA PRO 3D MID hiking boots because they were making my last 3 toes numb. I bought a pair of Keene Targhee because of a wider toe box. I took them for a 5 mile walk today with only 1 hotspot where the Gore-Tex by the tongue of the shoe is a bit bulky. I still want to look at Asics trail shoes, a brand I've always worn with no problem. Considering this is my first Camino, can I forgo Gore-Tex in favor of a water-resistent Asics?

mauveglass said:
Considering this is my first Camino, can I forgo Gore-Tex in favor of a water-resistent Asics?

IMO, yes. Personally I can't do goretex. My feet get too stinking hot because if there's any dust it coats the shoes and your feet can't breathe. Personally, the shoes I'm wearing (Saucony runners) have no water resistance at all.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I never had any problems with my Asics when running either, but last year i took them for a 36km walk, after 7 i had a hotspot and after 10 i changed shoes, so just make sure to test...

I just bought a pair of Brooks Cascadia trail running shoes to test out for the Camino. So far so good--have done a few 10 miler on trails with lots of roots and pebbles and all was well. They are much lighter than my previous Asics trail runners which I loved but of course they don't make them anymore!

Next is to test them while wearing my loaded pack. I’ve done a lot of hiking in the Alps and in Sierras including 20 milers and never wore high top boots but low hiking boots and often just trail running shoes and never had a problem. BUT never hiked day after day after day as will be the case on the Camino.

I just finished watching the Radio Buen Camino and wow how fantastic. I was especially interested in the terrain and tried to equate it to what we have in Texas---for Texans I saw trails we have in Bandera (thankfully not much), Austin, memorial park in Houston, Big Bend. Nothing looked horrible (but he had no rainy days either so not sure about mud)

Was it just me of did it seem most folks were wearing high top hiking boots in this video?

Am still leaning towards trail runners.

Thanks for all the thoughts!! I'm in Denver and I went to the Boulder Running Store today, supposedly the best of the bunch for fitting. After 2 hours, I got a pair of Asics Kayano running shoes. They feel incredible and I've always had great luck with that brand in hiking and walking long distances, so....off I'll go tomorrow for another 5 miles and see! I'm starting to panic a bit in finding a pair that fit in time to break them in. I'm starting the camino at the end of August.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all,

I'm using Lowa Renegade GTX Mid since several years, in several situations (Swiss alps, Voie de Vézelay, Camino Frances, ...). I think it's now my 4th pair.
I'm very happy with them, but, as already mentioned, shoes a very personal things :)

Simple tips:
- go the shop in the evening: your feet will be a little wider.
- don't hesitate to buy them one size bigger: on the long run, your feet will be longer.

Have a buen camino,

Jacques-D.

Running shoes all the way! If it's really wet, they'll dry out quickly. They'll be lighter and looser on your feet. More and more long-distance hikers are scrapping boots for trail shoes or running shoes.

Melanie

I am breaking in a pair of Wengers mid high boots. They seem good, but my left foot metatarsal arch up to the toes always goes numb. I have always had the same problem with athletic shoes when I walk...always worn New Balance. I tend to ride on the outside arch of my left foot, but not so much.
I practice yoga and have good arches. Anyone have suggestions as to why I get numbness?
Is it due to narrow toe box?

Thanks!
I'm prepping for my first Camino in October 2012..

Alice

Hi Alice,
I was told that the reason for my numbness was the narrow toe box in the Salomon's that I had originally, along with the possibility of too small a size (I went up a half-size in my Asics).
-cindy

Doug - thanks for the link! John Vonhof appears to be a foot guru. Haven't found anything new thus far (am still reading) but I definately recommend the site to newbies!

Vagabondette - no I have never walked a Camino in running shoes, just 4 different Merrill low walking shoes with Vibram soles. I have a 20 year marriage with Asics running shoes :) but never thought about using them on a Camino due to less stability/softer soles. I would love to try a "trail" running shoe but we don't have them here in The Netherlands - maybe because it is so flat.

Melanie - you wore running shoes on the Via de la Plata? Having walked it in July I didn't need to worry about rain but I am surprised that they held up to all the km?!??!?

Final possiblity is to have my feet checked out for orthotics. I did use them in the past for running but since I stopped intensive training 10 years ago I also abandoned the orthotics. Of course this crossed my mind after my first Camino but just didn't make an appointment - and I am a physiotherapist!!!

LT --so you had a 20 year marriage to Asics---guess i got you beat. i starting wearing them when they were Tigers---am i dating myself?? :)

i did get new orthotics for my trail running shoes (Brooks Cascadia--i think the running store was out of Ascis--i feel like i am cheating on Asics) and they are much better then my old "store bought" insoles i had for years which also helped.

but i am off to podiatrist today for a readjustment of orthotics and get his blessing to use these for Camino rather then hiking boots. although so many runners and some hikers are switching to those finger shoes---this doc is going the other way and recommending even street runners use trail running shoes for more stability,

i have both types but the new trail running shoes are much lighter than former trail running shoes and quite nice for running as well as hiking--but i try to avoid streets as much as possible and stick to dirt.

time will tell.

Running shoes all the way!
For many that is quite true. They are light and comfortable, and nothing stays dry when it rains steadily. However, my feet are incompatible with the lack of ankle support in running shoes. I have used over-the-ankle boots on caminos, but usually use low boots, which give sufficient foot support, though not ankle-roll protection. Even after-market insoles do not make running shoes comfortable for me. Know your own feet! Running shoes can be perfect for you.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back