• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

shoes for narrow feet

hasselhoff

Time of past OR future Camino
future camino
hi fellow narrow flat feet ladies with low instep! I am looking for shoe advice. maybe some of you experienced walkers have the same issues and good advice on shoe brands.

I already walked a camino in asics gel trabuco 9 (41.5) but was semi-pleased with them. as my left foot is longer the shoe was a bit too short but sizing up to 42 wasn’t an option. my feet swam in the shoes, way too wide. this is generally the problem. as soon as I size up to the length needed the shoes are getting way too wide.

do some of you know brands/models (trail runners) who tend to stay on the narrow side even in higher sizes? I am talking up to 42.

Thank you so much for your input and enjoy your camino (or dreaming thereof) everyone !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I also have a fairly narrow "low volume" foot, a little bit larger than yours at a size 11.
Ive switched to only wearing hiking sandals on the Camino, but for my first two I wore New Balance trail runners. Unfortunately, they don't make the same model any more - the Vazee Summit, but maybe you could write to them to ask what would be similar.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello! I have narrow feet with very flat arch, but I’m size 37/UK4. I don’t see anyone else on the Camino with my trail runners but my friends back home and I wear this a lot and he wears it for mountaineering etc.

I find my shoe+insole+sock combination to be a good balance in terms of support against all the road walking (one day from Sobrado to A Brea-> past Arzua, it was essentially 32km all road/asphalt), as well as great for all the ups and downs on the Salvador/Primitivo, the hard toe caps were useful on those rocky downhills to Montefurado and Grandas de Salime!

I’m very lucky, zero blisters, no other physical injury.

I use Arcteryx: https://www.arcteryx.com/es/en/shop/womens/konseal-fl-2-leather-gtx-shoe
Konseal is the slim model you’d wanna go for. I use the fast and light (FL), there’s also all round (AR). There is leather vs non-leather and goretex vs non-goretex.

With this insole:
The insole is quite thick so it will make the space in the shoe a bit smaller. So I went up a size to 38.

With this pair of socks: ultralight T2 merino sport 3/4 crew

There’s a lot of talk about shoes, but good socks are very important too. I have found this pair to be very breathable so my feet never sweat even when it was hot. I tried smartwool socks but to me they were so soft like indoor slippers, and didn’t give support. My current socks feel very snug and has extra cushion on the balls of feet, the arch, and the metatarsal part that sometimes get pressure/marks from shoelaces.

Sounds like my wife's foot. She like Mizuno shoes, on average. Worth trying on if you have not previously. Remember that fit is everything when selecting a shoe, and the hunt can be long and frustrating for those of us with special feet!

hi fellow narrow flat feet ladies with low instep! I am looking for shoe advice. maybe some of you experienced walkers have the same issues and good advice on shoe brands.

I already walked a camino in asics gel trabuco 9 (41.5) but was semi-pleased with them. as my left foot is longer the shoe was a bit too short but sizing up to 42 wasn’t an option. my feet swam in the shoes, way too wide. this is generally the problem. as soon as I size up to the length needed the shoes are getting way too wide.

do some of you know brands/models (trail runners) who tend to stay on the narrow side even in higher sizes? I am talking up to 42.

Thank you so much for your input and enjoy your camino (or dreaming thereof) everyone !
I wear the exact same size, narrow width with left foot slightly larger. I’m currently on the Camino in Salomon Speed Cross size 9 and Wright socks. No blisters and very comfortable and durable. This is my second Camino in the same shoes/sock combo.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Good afternoon Hasselhof
I know exactly what you mean. As a guy I find it extremely hard finding a narrow pair of trekkers and in the past Merrells have been the only brand that I’ve found comfortable enough narrow and strong enough for the Camino. Only today out shopping in Liverpool Millets Store had a 30% discount sale on so I popped in and luckily for me I’ve found a great pair of trekkers for next years Camino along with three quick dry t shirts and some ankle socks all with the discount really pleased so before you buy new trekkers try Merrels brand. Buen Camino Keith

Sportiva trail runners have a narrow fit. One definitely needs a size larger than usual. I had no blisters walking the CF from St Jean this spring.
Le Sportiva trail runners have worked well for me as well. I have narrow heels. Hard to find shoes that don't slip up and down in the back. But I finally, gratefully, found Le Sportiva.

Following, as I need this information as well!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I know the problem! I have very narrow, flat feet. In athletic shoes, I wear (in U.S. sizes) a 7 1/2 AA. And that is usually still wide on me. I looked all over for boots or trail runners that would work. The only ones narrow enough for me were Italian made--and they were absurdly expensive. Fortunately, I discovered (from my son, an avid hiker) that you can buy gently used boots online. My current hiking boots are Vasque. I think I paid $50 for them (instead of three hundred). They are terrific. Also, on our last trip, which was in August, I wore Chacos sandals, which are tough, comfortable, and very adjustable for narrow feet. Good luck!

I have narrow feet but found Keens Targhee to be perfect. They are a wide shoe but the extra space around the toes helped with blister prevention. I wore a pair of cheap elastic ankle supports and thick socks for a snug fit around ankles.

I know there is lots of advice being provided about different brands, but I will echo the recommendation for La Sportiva trail runners. Both my wife (women's US size 7 or 7 1/2) and I (men's European size 45 1/2) have narrow feet and narrow heels, and we both wore La Sportivas on the CF last fall with good results. I will stick with that brand - they definitely run narrow.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

thanks everyone for your replies and your suggestions. i am off testing new shoes then 😊

Sportiva trail runners have a narrow fit. One definitely needs a size larger than usual. I had no blisters walking the CF from St Jean this spring.
My son loves La Sportivas and just finished a good sized section of the Via Francigena wearing them. He agrees that they are on the narrow side and that going up a full size is important in that brand.
I have narrow feet, they are also quite flat with a low instep and narrow heel. I usually only go up a half size as for me they get too wide, and sloppy in the heel.
I seem to have good luck with all the brands I've used on the caminos and usually look for a good sale.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.