• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes For The Norte

zimmecp

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2017
Hi Everybody!

I am gearing up for my first Camino this summer! I have read that there is a lot of asphalt/paved roads along the norte. I am wondering if hiking boots are really the best option...or would something that better protects the body from pavement (really good nikes?) would be better. Can anyone give me an idea of percent pavement v. percent natural? Also...instead of hiking shoes...would trail running shoes cut it??? As much as I love my hiking shoes...I think I may need something a bit more flexible.

Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've walked the entire Frances once, and I've walked the part of the Norte from Pasaia to San Sebastian/Donostia maybe a dozen times (part of the first day, one of the most difficult days of the Norte). While most routes have a fair bit of pavement, they also have a large amount of dirt, especially when climbing. The route between Pasaia and Donostia would be particularly difficult to do without hiking boots in my opinion. My son fell over and over and over in tennis shoes. The next time we bought him some hiking boots and he didn't fall once. Because of his age (he's only four years old) he isn't the BEST example, but using my own judgement, I, personally, have resolved to ONLY do the Donostia-Pasia section in hiking boots.....and that is only a 12 km stretch. I'm sure there are plenty of other stretches where hiking boots would be far preferable to tennis shoes.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Everybody!

I am gearing up for my first Camino this summer! I have read that there is a lot of asphalt/paved roads along the norte. I am wondering if hiking boots are really the best option...or would something that better protects the body from pavement (really good nikes?) would be better. Can anyone give me an idea of percent pavement v. percent natural? Also...instead of hiking shoes...would trail running shoes cut it??? As much as I love my hiking shoes...I think I may need something a bit more flexible.

Thanks!
I did the Pacific Crest Trail wearing New Balance Leadville trail running shoes. I'm not pushing that model of shoe, but using it as an example of the type of trail shoe that a large percentage of backpackers, hiking rough, mountainous terrain use. Most trail shoes have the flexibility you are looking for, and most often incorporate aggressive tread and a rock plate (a protective shield) built into the sole to prevent foot bruising from jagged rocks and other protrusions in the trail. The link below might help you while you are deciding what to do.
http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/ditch-boots

I've completed some 2500 miles of Camino trails, including the Francés, and most recently the Norte and the Primitivo. I've also completed the Pacific Crest trail (2600+ miles). This has all been using trail runners (Asic Gel Nimbus). I just recently switched to a different trail runner primarily due to the larger toe box (Altra Lone Peak). My wife started with boots, but for many years has been using trail runners. Her current model is New Balance Leadville - same as davebugg above. In my experience, most Europeans still use boots, and most from the United States use trail runners, though the Europeans are starting to change. Both work. You need room for your feet to expand. If you love your hiking shoes, stick with them. Keep in mind that they rarely last more than 500 miles so start with a relatively new pair. The Norte has a lot of road walking. My instinctive answer is 80% hard surfaces, but certainly more than 60%. Very few stretches where it is rocky enough to make you wish for pavement.

Don't know the percentages but plenty of road. My wife and I both wore Scarpa Rapid LT's and had good experience. Sticky sole with well placed lugs but light enough for roads.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Glad to read these posts. I have decided to start on the Frances and switch to the Norte in Pamplona. I tried on more than a dozen trail runners to find a cushiony pair that would accommodate my bunion. It came down to the New Leadville 3 and the Altra Lone Peak 3.0. In the end, I chose Altra and am happy with them. Any suggestions for an insole for medium arch to help offer more support?

With news of the rainier weather, maybe a poncho over rain jacket with rain pants (very light weight for both) is the way to go!

Buen Caminos....Sue

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.