• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes for the wider feet

another_mous

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances from SJPDP April 17 2017
Hi.

Need an advice.
Camino Frances definitely does not look like it needs boots, so I am trying to pick hiking shoes or trail runners.
My feet are a bit wide, I usually buy E size sneakers, if there is an E size available.

Salomons are definitely not for my feet, the toe box is too narrow, so the only comfortable shoe I found so far is a trail runner - Merell All Out Terra Trail.

Has anyone attempted to walk far in this, will it hold for 800 km, and am I making a mistake here?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi.

Need an advice.
Camino Frances definitely does not look like it needs boots, so I am trying to pick hiking shoes or trail runners.
My feet are a bit wide, I usually buy E size sneakers, if there is an E size available.

Salomons are definitely not for my feet, the toe box is too narrow, so the only comfortable shoe I found so far is a trail runner - Merell All Out Terra Trail.

Has anyone attempted to walk far in this, will it hold for 800 km, and am I making a mistake here?

Wear them in and if comfortable use.
If not there are great shops in Pamplona and Burgos.
However trail runners are very popular
I use Echo sandals for the exact problem you have.
Take both
Buen Camino.

I agree with the Salomons being narrow... I have never found a Merrell boot/shoe to fit me so I can't tell. Have you tried the German makes?

Keen run wide. Some new balance. Vasque another width option.

Love Keens. Very wide toe box on the standard width shoes/boots and they have wide versions as well. Are available in shoes and hiking boots and Waterproof versions. I've got Lowa's, Merrell's and Salomon's, but none are as comfortable for long distances as Keens. Favourite models of Keens are Koven mid WP which are well priced, light and waterproof (normally last me 2 caminos) and the more expensive made in U.S. Durand's which are a little more durable. I prefer boots for ankle support and those days when/where sucking mud lives. I did buy Koven shoes for my daughter for her first Camino last year and she loved them with no blisters.

well you already have shoes you love...otherwise for the hard to fit foot I have two words: New Balance

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
actually I have another word: zappos. At least in the US. I can't try on shoes in a store, but free shipping both ways? count me in.

Hi.

Need an advice.

You are not making a mistake if the shoes are comfortable and do not need breaking in.

I have EEE feet and I wear New Balance trail runners on an SL-2 shoe last which has a narrow heel and a very wide, deep toe box. I buy them 1.5 sizes larger than I normally wear because my feet swell while I"m walking and I can easily fill the extra space with socks if necessary.

If the Merells are comfie, wear them.
I've done trail runners nearly every year for 10 years on the Camino with a lot of success and comfort.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Love Keens. Very wide toe box on the standard width shoes/boots and they have wide versions as well. Are available in shoes and hiking boots and Waterproof versions. I've got Lowa's, Merrell's and Salomon's, but none are as comfortable for long distances as Keens. Favourite models of Keens are Koven mid WP which are well priced, light and waterproof (normally last me 2 caminos) and the more expensive made in U.S. Durand's which are a little more durable. I prefer boots for ankle support and those days when/where sucking mud lives. I did buy Koven shoes for my daughter for her first Camino last year and she loved them with no blisters.

I have never found a pair of Keens that were wide enough for my feet. But I know a lot of people love them.

It's hard to recommend boot/shoe for somebody else, everyone has their favourite,
I also need a wide toe box, I have had Merrill shoes, not bad but a bit tight when the foot starts getting really hot. The next make I have Keen boots with the wide toe box, these I really like, my third pair are Mendl shoes, these are wide but not as wide as the Keen, so they'll get relegated to light work. I'm now in the market for Keen shoes like the boots, I like to use shoes in the summer and boots in the winter.

Choosing the right footwear can be a complete nightmare, sometimes you have to buy various brands to get the right one, can be expensive but to get the right footwear it's worth it.

Good luck on your choice.

Hi. Need an advice.
My feet are a bit wide, I usually buy E size sneakers, if there is an E size available.Salomons are definitely not for my feet, the toe box is too narrow, so the only comfortable shoe I found so far is a trail runner - Merell All Out Terra Trail.Has anyone attempted to walk far in this, will it hold for 800 km, and am I making a mistake here?

Have you tried Keens?? I too have wide feet and other issues - I have a pair of Keens and am totally happy with them. One point - the black toe box is not a fashion statement, but is practical. Hope this helps!!

Hi.

Need an advice.

I like the Merrell Moab Ventilators in wide. Nice size toe box and they accommodate my aftermarket insoles.
I like the non-waterproof version and have never found a need for a waterproof footwear on the Camino Frances (done it 4x).
If it is like the other Merrells I've worn walking the Camino, it will easily hold out. The Camino Frances is not all that rough on a quality pair of shoes or boots, or on any of your clothing or equipment.

I really like Oboz, I have wide feet and am onto my third pair. Would highly recommend them.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Keens vary in their widths from style to style but do not run, as far as I have found, above a D width.
Merrell and Vasque etc that purport to have wide widths did not accomdate my 2E either. Their wides also tend to be Ds.
New balance does. I wore Brooks Ariels in 2E. They had decent tread depth that is still in good shape after 900km and I never suffered a blister.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I used to think I had wide feet. However, now I realize that I have short toes! (That is rather like being short for your weight.;)) So my shoes fit well in an average width but I have over an inch in extra length. What is important is not just the overall length, but the length from the heel to the joint at the base of the big toe. I measure a size 6 in overall length but that other measurement is consistent with a 7, and I choose to wear a 7.5.

Of course I long ago gave up expecting a dress shoe to be anything remotely close to comfortable.

I'm a Merrell Moab man. Some Moab models have different names, like Merrell Moab Ventilators. Mine are the plain Moabs.
Made both for men an women they are available in a extensive range of sizes, and also in 2E (wide).
They come in Merrell's 'house' waterproofing, Goretex, and plain.
I replace the insole with one that has more support.
As you'd expect some folks dislike them, but I find them remarkably comfortable and have yet to experience a blister.
Best of luck cobber.
Regards
Gerard

I wear Keens but they don't last very long they have wide toe boxes, but from SJPDP to Finnesterre I had no tread left & kept together with duct tape &superglue. I recommend trying other light hikers w/ vibrant soles.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm also a fan of Keen shoes... I wear Keen Saltzman.. wide toe box and plenty of room... perfect for the Camino.

I bought Merrel Moabs , at first I thought it was just the really flimsy inner sole that was the problem . Even though they are a full one and a half sizes larger than my other relaxed fitting footwear I find them constrictive and downright difficult to wear no matter what expensive aftermarket inner sole I use .
This footwear conundrum becomes expensive after awhile , Keen Kovans were wide enough but lacked sole rigidity you feel every stone you stand on . The Merrels feel like my toes are in a sideways vice and the soles might as well be wooden planks , mid sole and ball cushioning seem to be nonexistent . All this from someone who normally wears rock hard leather Scarpa hiking boots and a 20 kilo pack .
I think I am going to try the advice given frequently and perhaps, third time lucky, New Balance may be the charm .

I have wide feet and am walking in Meindl shoes. Only one blister so far (on day 31 from SJPP). They are very comfy and plenty of room.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
What time of the year depends on what you wear. My feet are a EE and the most comfortable for winter last March was a Keene. My low cuts are Merrills and work well in rainy weather as I live in Seattle area when I am hiking I always wear waterproof shoes.

Hi.

Need an advice.

Understand you problem, Check out "Commando" trail shoes... nothing as bad a tight fitting shoes, found these in the pilgrims shop in Pamplona and then took great joy getting rid of my salomons...I did also get a size bigger on the advice of the salesman. . . His rule was if you can't fit two fingers easily down the back of the shoe and your heel get a bigger size.

I have wide feet and walked in Altra Lone Peaks. Loved them. No issues.

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have wide feet and walked in Altra Lone Peaks. Loved them. No issues.

Buen Camino!
I'm currently walking in the Altra Lone Peak on the Via de la Plate. .. I love the foot shape with lots of toe room and they feel very comfortable underfoot EXCEPT... I am suffering foot pain and I've never had this before and I wonder if it's the zero drop on the shoe... I wish they made this shoe without this... they would be perfect then.

Sadly I think I'll swap them in Salamanca... I've asked my husband to post my old boots on for when I arrive.

Just something to consider... but I do love the foot shape and wish other manufacturers would follow suit.

I'm currently walking in the Altra Lone Peak on the Via de la Plate. .. I love the foot shape with lots of toe room and they feel very comfortable underfoot EXCEPT... I am suffering foot pain and I've never had this before and I wonder if it's the zero drop on the shoe... I wish they made this shoe without this... they would be perfect then.

Sadly I think I'll swap them in Salamanca... I've asked my husband to post my old boots on for when I arrive.

Just something to consider... but I do love the foot shape and wish other manufacturers would follow suit.

Yes, they are zero rise shoes, which I need. I get foot pain with other shoes. I have a friend who bought a pair and her podiatrist asked her to gradually break them in. Then they were fine. But that won't help you now. So sorry you are going through that.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Priscilla NC I'm hoping that they get better as I walk... they are very comfy and I love the width... I've not given up on them because the feel so good... and so light too.

I also bought new Teva's. .. exactly the same model/code/size as my old pair but they rub and are just not comfortable

I've asked hubby to send old ones too but he's had an email saying parcel can't be delivered and no one seems to know where the shoes are... might be sticking with these regardless now :D

Hi.

Need an advice.

Shoes are so personal, but I've just done it (4 days to go) in Hoka One One's 2E fitting with no trouble at all. Well aside from a small spate of blisters after some repetitive downhill. Good luck. If you can, walk 20K's and then go in to try them on late in the day to repeat the condition you will be walking in them in.

I ve been hiking with Nike Wildhorse for some times now and just bought a new pair of Wildhorse 3 GTX for my upcoming camino. Sturdy and light they are recommended for 'city trails', which essentially is the perfect definition of the camino francès. I have very large feet and they are comfortable enough, providing one would order them with a full size above their usual shoes.
IMG_8590_420x360.jpg

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have super wide feet too so I bought a pair of men's Keen sandals. I'm just past León and they have been heavenly.

Hi.

Need an advice.

Here You have a very good choice:
https://www.scarpa.com/zen-pro-mid-gtx

When I was shopping for my Camino shoes, I was looking at Keen for my short and wide feet. Those were the ones suggested by the sales person at SAIL. I tried them and I liked them, but was not ready to purchase. A couple of days later, I went to MEC to try out the Keen brand again and was ready to buy them when I paused and asked the salesperson there if he had other brands to suggest for me. He suggested Oboz. They turned out to be the best shoes I ever bought. A little more expensive than the Keen, but oh so worth it. I got the waterproof ones and they delivered on the promise as my first three days were in the rain including a good dunk of my left foot in a puddle that was deeper than it seemed. I did purchase them a whole size larger than what I normally wear. Best purchase ever!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Priscilla NC I'm hoping that they get better as I walk... they are very comfy and I love the width... I've not given up on them because the feel so good... and so light too.

I also bought new Teva's. .. exactly the same model/code/size as my old pair but they rub and are just not comfortable

I've asked hubby to send old ones too but he's had an email saying parcel can't be delivered and no one seems to know where the shoes are... might be sticking with these regardless now :D

I hope that they start feeling wonderful all over soon. Sorry the other shoes can't be sent. I will beam good thoughts your way.

Buen Camino,
Priscilla

Take an extra pair with you--or a pair of Tevas. I wear size 13 us --47 euro size and could not find a pair of sneakers or Tevas that size until I reached Sarria last month---and that store only had one pair in that size. Most footgear in Spanish stores are for feet similar to deer hooves.

just a thought but maybe the email was sent because the shoes are at the post office (i forget where he was mailing them to you) and cannot be sent to a street address....so it may be a waste of time/effort but maybe stop at the post office to be sure they are not waiting for you there.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Perhaps either Altra or Topo Athletic would suit you. Super wide toe box with narrow heel. I call mine hobbit shoes. Fantastic!

Hi.

Need an advice.

I've got very wide feed and had trouble for years trying to find comfortable walking shoes/boots. Meindl make what they call a 'Comfort Fit' wide fitting and they are the most comfortable I have ever worn, (and I've tried a lot of different makes). It makes such a difference to be able to walk comfortably. One minor niggle, (maybe it's my peculiar feet), but the insoles seem to give out after about a couple of hundred miles - so I made sure I had spares with me.

Hi.

Need an advice.

I too have wide feet. Teva is a very comfortable shoe for me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I bought Merrel's All Out Terra Trail (I was lucky to find it on amazon for only $59, last pair, was a steal) 2 sizes up (felt comfortable in the store) and Moab Ventilator one size up (but with E width), with thick socks, will do a few weeks of walking to see which ones are more comfortable. Maybe I'll just take both since All Out are really light.

Jen can you expand on the comment about Hoka One One in 2E??
I have been through many of their shoes and even in their web site cannot find anything wider than the Bondi 4 which is a D at max
Where did you find these?

You are not making a mistake if the shoes are comfortable and do not need breaking in.

I have EEE feet and I wear New Balance trail runners on an SL-2 shoe last which has a narrow heel and a very wide, deep toe box. I buy them 1.5 sizes larger than I normally wear because my feet swell while I"m walking and I can easily fill the extra space with socks if necessary.
Annie, I wore NB 1080V5 on my walk, and they were really comfortable for my wide problem feet. Now after 700 miles they are wearing out and I need to replace them, but this model is no longer available. I'm not finding the new model NB Fresh Foam 1080 as comfortable. Have you found replacements for the NB1080V5 that you like? I wish I'd bought 3 pairs....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Annie, I wore NB 1080V5 on my walk, and they were really comfortable for my wide problem feet. Now after 700 miles they are wearing out and I need to replace them, but this model is no longer available. I'm not finding the new model NB Fresh Foam 1080 as comfortable. Have you found replacements for the NB1080V5 that you like? I wish I'd bought 3 pairs....

Sometimes you can find them on eBay? Or do a google search. I found the all terrain 610v5 comfortable this year.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.