• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes in mid-October

Trail runners or hiking boots in October?

• Total voters

Helen Jane Bass

tigrecita
Time of past OR future Camino
None yet!
(Plan to walk from SJDP on July 17th, 2016)
Hi all! I will be starting from Irun or San Sebastian around October 10 and have a question about shoes. Last summer I walked the Frances wearing trail runners, which I found to be the perfect shoe. With the weather in October, would you all suggest heavier hiking boots, or will trail runners be alright?

To be clear, my trail runners were just heavy-duty trainers with great grip. I found that these worked much better with the amount of pavement on the Camino. However, they're not very weather-proof.

Thanks!
HJ

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Good question, especially as we cannot predict the weather - for me it would be comfort first so unless the forecasts were showing snow I would go with what you used before - I do think that many pilgrims over burden themselves with expensive kit ... but that is just me!! ;)

Good question, especially as we cannot predict the weather - for me it would be comfort first so unless the forecasts were showing snow I would go with what you used before - I do think that many pilgrims over burden themselves with expensive kit ... but that is just me!! ;)
Thanks David! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, I'm going to be walking from Santander to Oviedo in a couple of weeks and plan to wear Asics Trail Running shoes. I've worn similar shoes on the Irun to Santander section and also from Porto to Santiago and never had a problem.

Hey! I love the boots vs. trail shoes vs. runners question. I have all of them, and walk with different pairs depending on weather, of course.

I actually prefer to take my Vasque boots (mid level), waterproof and great ankle support, but I'm in the minority. I just find them to have great traction for the up and downs, and they are good arch support.

You can get away with any of the three choices, and myriad choices between brands, and even if your feet get soaked at night, stuff shoes with newspapers if possible and see if you can dry them overnight. A good pair of wool socks will keep your feet warm no matter what, and generous layers of Glide or some other lubricant on the feet will protect skin from blisters.

Be comfortable!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wore trail runners (La Sportiva) last October on the Norte - the happiest my feet have been on any camino :)

buen camino

Hi all! I will be starting from Irun or San Sebastian around October 10 and have a question about shoes. Last summer I walked the Frances wearing trail runners, which I found to be the perfect shoe. With the weather in October, would you all suggest heavier hiking boots, or will trail runners be alright?

To be clear, my trail runners were just heavy-duty trainers with great grip. I found that these worked much better with the amount of pavement on the Camino. However, they're not very weather-proof.

Thanks!
HJ
I find that waterproof shoes only work well for me on day hikes or in colder weather. In moderate or above temps of more than one day my feet get wet anyway either from sweat or water leakage and then the shoe is hard to dry. Many super hikers like Andrew Skurka and Ryan Jordan agree with me on this. I plan to use my non-waterproof Vasque trail running shoes on the CF this fall. My feet may get wet but they will be relatively warm with wool socks and my shoes will dry over night with crumpled up newspaper in them.

I actually prefer to take my Vasque boots (mid level), waterproof and great ankle support, but I'm in the minority. I just find them to have great traction for the up and downs, and they are good arch support.

Irun to Bilbao you go through the woods a lot, I like the ankle support as well!

K

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks all! This is very helpful advice. I think I'll settle with a heavier-duty trail runner, seeing as I liked the lighter shoe for my last trip.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.