• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes in October- November ?

ellensfootprints

Time of past OR future Camino
October 5 ,2016
Greetings my people! I have Keen Durable sandals and Brooks trail shoes which I love both and they are well broken in. Now that so will start at SJPdp I would like to know if I should leave the sandals and go with a waterproof trail shoe or boot? Along with my trainers. Will my last few weeks be in rain an cold weather? I'm from Southern California ! Thanks for any feedback!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Each time I've walked in October/November, I've worn New Balance Trail Runners with absolutely no problems at all. Comfortable, lightweight, sturdy soles, and dry overnight with no issues.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Each time I've walked in October/November, I've worn New Balance Trail Runners with absolutely no problems at all. Comfortable, lightweight, sturdy soles, and dry overnight with no issues.
So not too much rain/ snow? I really don't want to drag any xtra wt around. So one pair of shoes would be great!
I'll be starting Oct.6/7 . Thanks so much!

So not too much rain/ snow?
Nobody said there wouldn't be rain or snow! :eek: However, I think most people only take one pair of shoes plus the evening slip-ons. I take waterproof boots but that's because they are super comfortable and they usually dry overnight. Others are happy with non-waterproof shoes, which might dry a bit faster.

So not too much rain/ snow? I really don't want to drag any xtra wt around. So one pair of shoes would be great!
I'll be starting Oct.6/7 . Thanks so much!

Yes, there will be rain and even some snow - be prepared! One pair of boots for the way and one pair of sandals for the albergues/towns will do the trick. Oh, and gaiters might be a good idea, plus rain trousers and poncho. Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Greetings my people! I have Keen Durable sandals and Brooks trail shoes which I love both and they are well broken in. Now that so will start at SJPdp I would like to know if I should leave the sandals and go with a waterproof trail shoe or boot? Along with my trainers. Will my last few weeks be in rain an cold weather? I'm from Southern California ! Thanks for any feedback!
Galicia is known as the Seattle of Spain. Bring the trail shoes and think about some low gaiters as ¨waterproof¨ means there is proof that they can hold water. Also consider some gloves and a real rain jacket... Willy/Utah/USA ( Salamanca Hospitalero currently)

Cold is when you throw a bucket of water out the window and it freezes before it hits the ground.

It never gets cold in Spain.

Southern California has a similar climate to Spain. Sometimes it rains. Sometimes ... at higher altitudes ... it snows. You'll encounter frost from mid November. You might get snow and freezing temperatures between Astorga and Ponferrada and between Vega de Valcarce and Triacastela. You will get heavy squalls of rain in Galicia.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Cold is when you throw a bucket of water out the window and it freezes before it hits the ground.

It never gets cold in Spain.

Southern California has a similar climate to Spain. Sometimes it rains. Sometimes ... at higher altitudes ... it snows. You'll encounter frost from mid November. You might get snow and freezing temperatures between Astorga and Ponferrada and between Vega de Valcarce and Triacastela. You will get heavy squalls of rain in Galicia.
Thank you all so much for your great info. Helped me make my decision. I can't wait to get there . October 7!

If I may add my 2 cents, I plan to cover the camino frances early november with a simple pair of trail running sneakers (+ gaiters for the rare snow patch), although i have mixed feelings about this especially if the weather turns sour.

Last edited:
Southern California has a similar climate to Spain.
A similar suggestion has been made before, and it isn't borne out under any of the major climate classification schemes. Most of northern Spain is considered to be temperate oceanic under the Koppen scheme, with a band of temperate mediterranean to the east of Galicia. In contrast, Southern California appears to have a range of hot summer mediterranean, cold summer mediterranean, with hot desert and cold desert further inland and patches of hot semi-arid and cold semi-arid. (Sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Spain, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_California)

A similar suggestion has been made before, and it isn't borne out under any of the major climate classification schemes. Most of northern Spain is considered to be temperate oceanic under the Koppen scheme, with a band of temperate mediterranean to the east of Galicia. In contrast, Southern California appears to have a range of hot summer mediterranean, cold summer mediterranean, with hot desert and cold desert further inland and patches of hot semi-arid and cold semi-arid. (Sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Spain, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_California)

I have been to California. The caveat being that the visits have been short and the experience of it might not be representive. I guess the same could be said of my walk on the camino. Its often sunny. It rains hard. It snows. It never gets cold. Same as Spain.

My gift: the best C-Frances app. 100% free with no ads or registration. Buen Camino!
I have been to California. The caveat being that the visits have been short and the experience of it might not be representive. I guess the same could be said of my walk on the camino. Its often sunny. It rains hard. It snows. It never gets cold. Same as Spain.
The difference between us might be that I never expected my infrequent early autumn visits to south-western USA to make me an expert on its climate, even if it gave me a wonderful opportunity to appreciate the tremendous great range of different environments as one crossed southern California into Arizona or returned across it from Nevada. I would say the same about northern Spain in springtime.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm not sure I would compare northern Spain and southern California. The Frwnch route is by far much cooler. If you are used to a warm climate be prepared for a slightly cooler one. The term "waterproof" is meaningless is Galicia. The rain is like a sentient being. Least that's how I found it while walking in October and November.
I carry crocs. Weigh almost nothing, can be worn in the shower.
Buen Camino...

Most read last week in this forum

I am a first time Camino pilgrim and plan to start my walk from SJPP to Santiago in late April. I have booked the first few nights (on the recommendation of a friend who walked the Camino last...
To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
Hello, we’re looking at hiking up O Cebreiro on Monday, and it will be raining. We were wondering if it’s better to hike up the road when it’s raining, or is the trail safe enough? We hiked down...
Tomorrow is the day! Yesssssss!!!!!!!!!!! I will be flying from the US to Madrid, leaving tomorrow, arriving Pamplona the day after. I'm very excited to begin my 2nd camino. The weather will...
Hello, I'm walking the Camino Francés beginning the 16th of April from SJPdP, and would appreciate tips from the seasoned walkers amongst you :) Do you have tips for "special" accomodation option...
Connecting through Toronto now. Tomorrow evening I go to sleep in SJPDP!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.