C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
Seems to me that most of this camino is on ordinary roads, only a few streches on paths.
What kind of shoes did you use, runners, hikingshoes or hikingboots?
Since I walk offroad most of the year I have a selection of mountainboots and hikingshoes, but these are perhaps not so good on asfalt and hardroad I guess, and I wonder if runners do
better. Do runners manage the extra kilos on your back?
I started walking on the Danish Hærveien som years ago in runners that were exellent for walking without a backpack. With 10 kg on my back they did not work at all.
I mostly end up with light hikingboots with a pair of runners in my pack. Since it still is full winter where I live, training in summershoes is not possible.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Invierno doesn't jump to my mind as one of the most heavily asphalted caminos. I may be off, and there are stages (like leaving A Rúa) with a steady drumbeat of asphalt, but I think it has far less asphalt than the Norte or even the Francés. I have always worn Salomon low hiking shoes on the Invierno. But runners would also be fine, I think. I think that so long as the shoes have enough arch support the extra weight shouldn't be a problem, but others may have better info.

I used Salomon boots, but I was walking other Camino Routes after the Invierno. I guess if you've tried runners and they didn't work before then I'd go with your light hiking boots. I wouldn't use runners, but I know others swear by them. As Laurie said, there isn't a huge amount of asphalt, but there are lots of ups and downs...seemed like more ups!:cool:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
10 kilos??? What are you carrying? Your whole office? :D
There aren't many rough or tarmac terrains. I think Invierno is the nicest about light gravel and soft natural paths. Of course there are tarmac stretches (the whole one between A Rua and A Pobra comes to mind) and there are tricky downhills but quite doable if your ankles are good so you could do it in trainers or low cut shoes (I'd go for that). Me personally like my mid-cut Salomons for any type of terrain...

Flip flops in the afternoon and cervesa fria of course ;)

Thanks, so change ofmy most used footwear is not necessary. I saw some youtube bits from all etapas and it seemed like a lot of asphalt.
@KinkyOne , I always carry enough water to be able to supply another thirsty peregrino in need, thats why the 10 kg

Hi @ranthr
I was going to bring trail runners this camino but opted for keens mid boots because they were goretex lined /..... there has been a lot of wet hereabouts in Spain. Depends when you plan to walk but lots of run off. I’m into day 4 on Invierno and many paths today were running downhill with water. You could possibly stick to the Carretera or get cold wet feet with lightweight runners.
Annie

Edit: I haven’t seen another pilgrim in my 4 days.
So no need to carry extra water for them.
I haven’t drink too much water today but day 1 stopped for drink break a number of times.
I saw a post by @KinkyOne about a picnic with apples. I later bought 2 from the fruit truck which you’ll see in many pueblos in Spain ... I’ve been carrying them for a few days!!! I know I carry too much weight in my backpack — probably why I get sore feet!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The 2 and a half kilometre path down to Belesar (you'll be on it tomorrow, Annie) is definitely not one I would recommend without decent boots with ankle support. Those Romans must have suffered loads of broekn or twisted ankles going down that path!

The 2 and a half kilometre path down to Belesar (you'll be on it tomorrow, Annie) is definitely not one I would recommend without decent boots with ankle support. Those Romans must have suffered loads of broekn or twisted ankles going down that path!
Yes ., susanna has indicated to me that there is a steep one down and up tomorrow and that I should be able to get something to eat or drink at the bottom of the down bit. Guess I will just have to wait and see. I see more rain coming too but it looks like the sun will be shining when I get to Santiago on Tuesday 17th. I’m hard to please aren’t I ?
Annie

Yes ., susanna has indicated to me that there is a steep one down and up tomorrow and that I should be able to get something to eat or drink at the bottom of the down bit. Guess I will just have to wait and see. I see more rain coming too but it looks like the sun will be shining when I get to Santiago on Tuesday 17th. I’m hard to please aren’t I ?
Annie
Ribeira Sacra tells us that the bar down by the river is under new management. They have a nice terrace by the river. If it's not open, the Mesón I told you about is a couple of kilometres up the other side on the way to Chantada.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Day 6. To casa el Torre Vilarino
Halfway point for me - that is if I can ignore the rain .
Expecting boggy start I left ‘as Vinas ‘ by taxi to Montforte de Lemos. E15. After a run around locating the turismo as intended to spend time there /found it - but unmanned. Eventually got someone and was given a map etc. the Castillo is high up! Can’t give info on it as I only took some pics and headed off. Once on outskirts town it started raining so although I had rain gear on - I decided to go all out with the poncho and leggings as it looked like they would be needed.
Camino keep taking you off here and there for little loops that add 50m to a 20m section on the road !

I won’t detail all the muddy sections ., if you follow @KinkyOne notes and Laurie’s Invierno guide they give info .... today I got diverted a bit as rain stopped me looking at notes and I followed camino signs. Probably okay some seasons but not today. A real quagmire... eventually decided on LP4112 to A Barxa. But please look into all possibilities before you start. I continue to read things literally and after expecting the mud before Montforte., I thought I’d be romping home. You know what thought did !
All’s well that end well. Casa Rural Torre Vilarino is a real haven. Shame it’s been raining since I arrived so haven’t been able to enjoy their gardens and they’ve got a big pool if you are here in warmer weather.

Annie

Enjoy reading your daily writings. I hope you get a sunny day tomorrow. No more rain!

I have never followed descriptions in guidebooks for walking caminos, only followed the arrows or other markings for years. Do I really need to carry a printed version of the 2018guide?

Enjoy reading your daily writings. I hope you get a sunny day tomorrow. No more rain!

I have never followed descriptions in guidebooks for walking caminos, only followed the arrows or other markings for years. Do I really need to carry a printed version of the 2018guide?
Like you @ranthr I prefer to just follow the arrows .. on this camino there are lots of signs but occasionally they do take you in the ‘not best’ choice .. depending on weather. Following today leaves you muddy. Having maps.me loaded on my iPhone with some tracks could at least indicate other options. I started out with a few different notes printed like the Invierno guide on this forum ., kept up to date by Laurie. I lost it but still have file on iBooks on my phone. I also have some notes of other forum members. Problem when it’s raining., I don’t access any of them and if I can’t exactly remember then I’ve followed the signs. Here’s hoping the rain stops and it’s dry for you. That will solve problems.

Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back