• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to keep feet and legs dry during winter Camino in the rain?

Opeenkangoeroe

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances and Portugese coastal
So next week I will go to my first Camino (Frances) in the winter.
Normally in the summer if it rains I just put on my shorts and sandals. That way my feet and legs are wet, but not soggy or hurting. Not sure if this tactic is going to work in the winter, because of the cold and wind. What do you think?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Shorts in Winter works for me. Just make sure that if you stop that you have something handy to help keep you warm. While you are walking though you won't notice the cold and rain on your legs.

Remember you must be prepared for sleet and snow.
I only walked in autumn/winter and always wore hikers winter tights and Goretex lined boots; I never had a blister.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Even sleet and snow on the Frances? In my memory it is pretty flat, only a couple of real hills.
Winter tights might not be a bad idea to take with me.

I do long distance winter trekking. Up to 65 K in a day.
We can have strange rain or sleet…
I wear winter Keens (Revel models have wool inserts, thicker soles etc). I carry “snow chains” with me, diamond cut metal bits that spin on airplane wire for bite into snow/ice. Often I use them; sometimes not. I’d want them for mountainous regions of CF in winter.
wool socks, wool base layer tights (Smartwool is my favourite now because my icebreakers get saggy). Over the tights go fleece-lined water resistant “sand bagger” pants from MEC (Canada’s equivalent to REI). I carry a wind-break rain pant in my pack.
Gaiters. So snow does not have a chance to get down my boots.
If you are going any time before March, these would be my recommendations.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Even sleet and snow on the Frances? In my memory it is pretty flat, only a couple of real hills.
Winter tights might not be a bad idea to take with me.
Please read what I wrote regarding winter storms here. Please also read the links within the post.

This photo is leaving Villafranca Montes de Oca, February 2, 2008
February 2, 2008.jpg

Last edited:
Aliexpress.com, has a rain skirt that makes sense in colder weather, even just as a wind block as well as protection from moisture below a poncho. Yes, a poncho, even if it is snowing. A poncho and skirt will drastically reduce wind chill in colder months while also protecting from rain, sleet and snow yet allowing for breathing of the garments below from t-shirt to sweater to coat.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.