• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes/Sandals

Sylvia Mangan

Time of past OR future Camino
Guided tour walk: Frances 9/18
Never have walked the Camino. We are planning to do a guided tour with EXPLORE! We are late 60's and early 70. I have a question about shoes. I have bought non-waterproof trail shoes (recommended that they be light weight with good vibram sole. I am also interested in sandals as I have a tendency to lose big toenail in long hikes. Brands? I am planning on wearing Altras trail shoe. I was thinking of a pair of sandals as well, as I do not want to lose toenail.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Losing toenails is mostly due to the shoe not being long enough in size, or due to underlying medical conditions which restrict proper blood circulation to the feet. To find the right fit, forget the measurements; it is about what feels right regardless of size. The same goes for the width of the shoe.

When you go to the store, do so toward the end of the day.... you will have been up on your feet, so that will help with getting the correct fit. Additionally, you will need to wear the same backpack with the same gear you will be carrying... you want this additional weight on you as this will put the same downward pressure on the foot that you will be having while on Camino.

Wear the exact same sock(s) you will be wearing while you are walking on the Camino. And if you have a special insole or orthotic, bring it with you.

At the store, the measuring that will be done on your feet is only to get you in the ballpark for the correct shoe size.

Start by standing up; never measure while sitting. You want the full weight of your body, with the pack on, to put the same pressure on your feet to spread them out as will happen while walking. That alone will increase the volume and size of your feet.

Make sure those 'Camino' socks are on your feet; if you wear socks with liners while walking, do the same thing at the store.

While standing, have someone near to you that you can use to steady yourself. With the measuring device on the ground, step onto the instrument and center all of your weight onto the foot being measured. Do the same for the other foot.

Start with that size, but be aware that both the width and the length need to feel like there is adequate room for your feet. Ideally, like Goldilocks, everything will be just right. But, don't count on it. Be picky.

If you have special insoles or orthotics, put them into any shoe you try on as they will take up space inside the shoe.

When you find what you think will fit you well, you will need to see if your toes have enough clearance. Toes should not be able to be forced to the front of the shoe and touch the shoe. Not even a little. If they do, long walking and downhill grades on the trail or path or road will traumatize the bed of the nail, and that is when toenails can blacken and fall off.

So, with your shoes tied securely, but not too tight, walk around the store with your pack on. Go up stairs and down stairs, scuff the shoes to the floor so that your feet are forced to do any movement they will do and see if your toes so much as butterfly kiss the front of the shoe. Kick the front of the shoe into a post or stair or wall or someone's shin.... does that make any of your toes touch the front of the shoe? That goes for all the little piggies.

Next, pay attention to the width of the shoe. It shouldn't feel snug on the sides and there should be no rubbing or pressure points at all. They will not go away with "break in". They will create soreness, pain, and blistering. Even if it seems to be tolerable, it is like water torture; as your feet are continually exposed to those pressure points your feet will break down against them bit by bit, and bruising, blisters, and soreness will follow.

You may need to go up a size to a size and a half in length, and go with a wider width to avoid those things I mentioned above. The notion that one avoids blisters by wearing snug footwear has been shown to do just the opposite.

You wrote that you have some new shoes. Try them on as I described above and put them through those tests. If they aren't up to par, take them back for a size that will work.

Be patient. Be picky. :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Sylvia and welcome to the forum. Altras are great for walking or at least that’s my experience so hopefully you will keep all your toenails. I didn’t take walking sandals but my sister walked in Merrell boots until she threw them out in Leon because they were eating her from the feet up. She bought a pair of teva sandals and happily wore them to Santiago without any problems. Keens are another popular brand used by lots of women on this forum.
Wishing you both a very buen camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My teva sandals (terra fi) were a joy to wear at the end of the day’s walk; also for the odd full day, when I wanted a break from my 25-year-old Salomon Mountain X boots (so light and comfortable that I can dance in them :) ), mainly because some days were just too hot for boots ... in October.
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back