• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes to relax in

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April 2020
Hi again. I am hoping to get some recommendations for shoes you use to relax in after you finish walking for the day. I was planning on bringing some Keen sandals, but they are too heavy and just not comfortable.

My everyday sandals that I wore last summer would have been perfect. EXCEPT, I went sightseeing in them one day and they rubbed my foot wrong.

I have one month to find some shoes. 🤗 Thanks in advance for your advice.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi again. I am hoping to get some recommendations for shoes you use to relax in after you finish walking for the day. I was planning on bringing some Keen sandals, but they are too heavy and just not comfortable.

My everyday sandals that I wore last summer would have been perfect. EXCEPT, I went sightseeing in them one day and they rubbed my foot wrong.

Look at the Allbirds. My wife just got a pair and they're very light. https://www.allbirds.com/

I have used Crocks and Hoka slip-ons. Both are very comfortable and reasonably light. I always wear socks in them so as not to rub a blister. My only gripe with either is that they tend to be bulky.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Can’t say enough good things about EVA Birkenstock Essentials. Super light (my pair of size 44 Arizona Essentials weighs 250g) and waterproof (so perfect for wearing on the shower too) with a lot more support than flip flops. I’ve worn these on days walking 10-15km on city trails so they were practically the first thing I packed for my upcoming Camino. I can’t think of a better choice for wearing in the evenings and rest days, or really anytime I want to give my trail runners a break.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Crocs Cleo sandals. Inexpensive, compact, ultra-light weight and very comfortable. I’ve used them on four Caminos. Great for wearing in the shower and sturdy enough for wandering around at the end of the day.
1583569416823.jpeg

Toms, apart from the ethical purchase buy one and you buy one for others, lightweight, compact, comfortable, can be worn in bathroom area and in the evening and if boots fail would be suitable for days walk until one can find store to buy new walking shoe, if needed. My toms also pass rules at a number of Spa's I've visited and closed in toe means less likely to let foreign objects into foot area when waking on loose gravel and can be placed in normal clothing wash although fabric colour will fade over time after multiple washes 🤠img_7998.jpg

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I pack teva sandals with a mush sole. They take up a lot of room, but are heaven to stand in at the end of the day. I can wear them in the shower, and I can wear them hiking/walking if I end up with a blister from my other shoes. They're not great going down hill, but on the flat or up hill they'll do.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
My preferred are ultralight water/shower shoes. Ridiculously light, highly breathable, quick-drying, and less than $20 USD - you can wear them comfortably around town or in the showers to prevent infection. Right now I prefer the lacing kind but my previous were just stretch shoes. I have a better description and link in my packing list below. (I would link but last time I linked to Amazon I got a short vacation from the forum :eek: so... see my packing list).

1583587191604.jpeg

I always, always recommend Toms slip ons. They are super light and comfortable, I have worn them the couple of times I have had a blister and have walked 10k or so in them. As long as it is not cobblestone or rock they are fine. Finally and most importantly, Toms has GIVEN AWAY 95 million pairs of shoes as well as doing humanitarian work in many different ways and in many, many countries.
Please check this out to see the great work they do daily. They are a company that all Pilgrims should support. They live the pilgrim spirit better than any company I know of.

This is their website:

But if you want to know the unique and great work they do, download their Global Impact Report. The link is also on their website.

You may pay a little more but remember you are basically buying 2 pairs of shoes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Super light (my pair of size 44 Arizona Essentials weighs 250g)
250g for each sandal (500g for both together)? or 125 g each (250g for both together)? That's about 40% less than the same size crocks or Hoka slip-ons.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used croc river sandals. Lightweight, but sturdy enough for a day in town

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I use crocks for backpacking but wanted something nicer for the Camino as you spend the night in Spanish towns, walking around, going out to eat, and wanted something as light as crocks but not as ugly as, face it, crocks are ugly. I found perfection with FIT FLOPS. Look them up on-line. I got a pair of waterproof, fashionable, comfortable sandals that worked perfectly for me.

Light weight Teva

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I wear these. Light weight and comfortable soles. Plus nicer looking than flip flops. I made some elastic straps to make them look like gladiator sandals.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200307-203306.png
    Screenshot_20200307-203306.png
    395.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20200307-203855.png
    Screenshot_20200307-203855.png
    1 MB · Views: 14

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.