• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes vs boots (again)

neverlost4good

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2015
Altar Lone Peak 5 (thread wearing) vs Vasque boot. 7 days on the Meseta + the San Salvador Camino. I leave in 6 days! Both are worn in. Lone Peaks are fast and light with glorious toe room. Vasque has good support, but can get “hot.”
Your opinion please? Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It’s an entirely personal decision.

I’ve worn lightweight leather boots pretty much constantly for the past 40 years whenever I’m dog walking, fell walking or on camino. They’re like slippers.

On that basis: wear boots. Or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Altar Lone Peak 5 (thread wearing)
As Henry has said, only you can decide which ones you are happier to walk long distances in.

I assume "thread wearing" means the tread is wearing down. If you prefer the Lone Peaks, why don't you get a new pair? If you get exactly the same model, you just need to test them on one or 2 walks to check that there is no manufacturing problem or change with the new pair.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Have used both but ever since I switched to light gear for backpacking - no more than a 24 lb. pack, I use trail runners and never have looked back. On the Camino, with a pack weighing around 13 lbs. it's the optimal choice. Indeed, it is personal preference and only you can decide what works for you - after all, they're your feet;-)
Buen Camino!

Have used both but ever since I switched to light gear for backpacking - no more than a 24 lb. pack, I use trail runners and never have looked back. On the Camino, with a pack weighing around 13 lbs. it's the optimal choice. Indeed, it is personal preference and only you can decide what works for you - after all, they're your feet;-)
Buen Camino!
It’s the mountains on the San Salvador that I’m most worried about. Both are good footwear: I’ll flip a coin? ;-)

Very personal choice.
I have some Lone Peaks along with many others.
I couldn't wear the Lone Peaks on a Camino.

They are way too light. Like wearing ballet shoes.
My feet ache in them after only a few kms.
No support, no cushioning.

But others love them.

We're all different ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very personal choice.
I have some Lone Peaks along with many others.
I couldn't wear the Lone Peaks on a Camino.

They are way too light. Like wearing ballet shoes.
My feet ache in them after only a few kms.
No support, no cushioning.

But others love them.

We're all different ;)
THAT'S it. Thank you so much. My old steady Vasque boots it is. I'll just trade out socks on the Meseta if my feet get too hot. Again...thank you! I leave in 4 days.

I like the Altra LPs also, but decided the sole was too thin for me. So I switched to the Altra Olympus 4. Much thicker, more comfortable sole, same roomy toe box. I wore them on the CF in April / May, and they are still going strong now, months later.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Take both! I will bring Altra Olympus 5 and boots on my next CF in 2 months time. I have done previously, too (Boots+Altra Olympus 4, magic soles). Perfect for me and my wide 'demanding' feet, and not really heavy... Good to switch. But I will walk in November...

I recently wore Lone Peaks on a backpacking trip; 2400 ft of elevation gain up an overgrown very narrow trail with rocks and long stretches on scree. The shoes worked fine, in conditions that far exceeded anything encountered on various long hikes and Caminos. My personal conditioning, wasn’t great however. . I willingly accepted our grandchildrens’ offer to carry our light tent (no pride) and that allowed me to exercise good foot placement and avoid injury on some tricky parts. Poles were also essential. While foot wear is a discretionary, personal decision, with many good choices, having your legs and feet well conditioned for skilled foot placement is a universal good target for pilgrims. After all, I know of someone who did the Appalachian Trail both ways without any shoes! I should acknowledge that my lack of conditioning was due to an earlier foot injury, while wearing Lone Peaks inappropriately for the job, edging on a single outside foot on a steep embankment using a pole saw. Bad judgement can easily overcome good equipment.

My boots stay on, I discarded the ones where I could feel the potato sized stones on the slope at Zubiri through the soles and chose my old ones (next time around).
You will have to make your own choice !!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If it is of any help, I had boots that had years of wearing in but still were very comfortable. However, after SJPP to Puenta la Reina, I left them behind for runners, and I have never looked back.

But that is me.

Buen Camino!

It doesnt have to be one or the other, take both. 🙂 We did the Frances from Pamplona in July, had 38l backpacks and each of us took our running shoes, boots and sandals. We used the boots 5 days, runners for the rest, and sandals at the end of every day. It is so nice to have the option depending on terrain.

I like the Altra LPs also, but decided the sole was too thin for me. So I switched to the Altra Olympus 4. Much thicker, more comfortable sole, same roomy toe box. I wore them on the CF in April / May, and they are still going strong now, months later.
Thank you! Exactly what I need to know. Altra really fits my wide toes. Was worried about the thin tread. I'll check out the Olympus 4 when I get back! Thanks again.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last edited:
When my daughter suggested I try the Altra’s, (she’s a runner and swears by them) I had never heard of zero drop shoes. I did some research and found this video which helped me. I wore Altra Lone Peak 5’s for a week on the Frances this past August (St John to just before Viana) and absolutely love them. We walked in 90+ degree weather and I never had a problem. As mentioned, it depends on your feet and what feels most comfortable. 😊

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When my daughter suggested I try the Altra’s, (she’s a runner and swears by them) I had never heard of zero drop shoes. I did some research and found this video which helped me. I wore Altra Lone Peak 5’s for a week on the Frances this past August (St John to just before Viana) and absolutely love them. We walked in 90+ degree weather and I never had a problem. As mentioned, it depends on your feet and what feels most comfortable. 😊

Buen Camino!
Yep! Based on all the help I've received on this topic, I bought the Altra's Olympus 4 (on sale!). I took them out for a training walk this morning with my full pack and felt steady and comfortable with no heat in my shoes whatsoever! My feet are adapted to the zero drop, as I have been wearing my Lone Peak 5's for 4 months. I wore out the soles. The Olympus has the vibram sole, and I was told they hold up better for long distances with a pack. 2 more days until Spain! Thanks again!

Altar Lone Peak 5 (thread wearing) vs Vasque boot. 7 days on the Meseta + the San Salvador Camino. I leave in 6 days! Both are worn in. Lone Peaks are fast and light with glorious toe room. Vasque has good support, but can get “hot.”
Boots are good for bad weather such as continued rain or days walking in snow.
So if you don't foresee too much bad weather, I recommend the running trail shoes for the Camino.

My first Camino in 2016, I wored Merrel shoe hikers...resulted in major problems for my feet. For the next two Caminos, I wore plain running shoes. Best decision ever. Comfortable the whole way through. Oh, and for socks, we love the Wright "blister free" socks...they are two ply but very thin. They did he job!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It’s a personal decision. Three weeks into my Lisbon trek (my 4th?/5th? camino?) and I’m now a tourist because my feet/ankles weren’t in shape and my shoes didn’t seem to be providing the support I was accustomed to. Get you—and your shoes— in shape together. So you don’t end up like me… ;) Every person and shoe combo is unique.

Shoes for May through October; boots for the rest of the year?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would probably never wear boots on the Camino.

For me it would be sandals for May through October, shoes for the rest of the year.😉
I walked the VLDP in February and March and am glad that I wore boots for the mud and snow. On the other hand, I wore trail runners for my most recent Frances walk and to walk the Norte. Both of those trips were in August and September. I didn't have any foot issues for either of those trips which was a wonderful change from previous summer Camino peregrinations wearing boots.
With the wide variety of Camino routes and conditions, perhaps we should be looking at three choices (sandals, shoes, or boots) as opposed to just boots or shoes.
I'm going to have to give sandals a try.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.