• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes

Elizabethanne

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk in September (2015)
Hi everyone,
Having a bit of a dilemma about shoes. I having being wearing minimalist shoes or barefoot for a number of years now. Up until three years ago I wore two years ago I wore scarpa hike shoes. I can no longer wear these as they are two rigid for my knee which rebels massively if I wear it. I much prefer to hike in Gortex shoes as I hate wet feet - i have tried wearing sealz under my topos but my feet froze. I start walking on the 20th September - how important is it to wear Gortext shoes - and I am planning weather permitting to go through the pass in the Pyrenees. My search for minimalist gortex well soled trail shoes is proving very difficult . I have also read the that the Galcia region can be very wet which I will be walking in October. Any advice would be awesome.
Anne

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A well fitted pair of Gore Tex trail shoes will suit you as you will be walking in Autumn.
In September last year, it only rained 3 days out of 28 during my Camino. But...as I entered Molinaseca, my rain gear (yes, Gore Tex jacket and Salomon GTX shoes) was no match to the stormy weather and torrential rain.

Last edited:
Anne, I walked last September and October and also went through the Pyrenees. I wore BROOKS Cascasia trail runners and they were great. We had rain the last week in Galicia, but they dried pretty quickly. Gore tex tends to make your feet sweat, so I would stay away from it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Merrell Moab ventilator gtx is a lighweight shoe with excellent vibram outsole, comes in mid cut also. If you need a bit more durable and leather upper, try Lowa Renegade gtx which is a bit pricey but you can get them at 20% off. Good luck.

Thank you for this. It looks like trail runners will be fine the time of year I am walking. Going up to Melbourne to have another look at two possibilities.

Thank you for this. It looks like trail runners will be fine the time of year I am walking. Going up to Melbourne to have another look at two possibilities.
I thought you were looking for a gtx shoe. Trail runners are a whole different category. I walked the Camino in October. Expect lots of rain in Galicia by end of October. If you can manage wet feet with merino wool socks (or plastic bag) trail runners would be great. I have not used one. But, keep hearing models like Brooks cascadia and Hoka one stinson etc...Here is a review/comparison of trail runners for women by outdoorgearlab.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I thought you were looking for a gtx shoe. Trail runners are a whole different category. I walked the Camino in October. Expect lots of rain in Galicia by end of October. If you can manage wet feet with merino wool socks (or plastic bag) trail runners would be great. I have not used one. But, keep hearing models like Brooks cascadia and Hoka one stinson etc...Here is a review/comparison of trail runners for women by outdoorgearlab.
I am wanting gortex trail runners and they are hard to find and in Australia we don't have the range you have in the colder wetter countries. Thanks

I am wanting gortex trail runners and they are hard to find and in Australia we don't have the range you have in the colder wetter countries. Thanks
I don't know when you are walking, if you like a specific model, can you not order it on line and have it shipped to Australia.

I personally wouldn't recommend GTX (Goretex) shoes as they are less breathable and when they do get wet, i.e. water will come in from your ankle, they take much longer to dry. My preference is a light weight, breathable shoe combined with merino socks which do a good job at keeping your feet warm while wet. Then leave your shoes to dry out overnight at the albergue.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wore gtx merrell moab mids in Sep/Oct 2014. No probs with sweat and wuverly dry tootsies when it poured in Galicia.
I hates wet feet.
Regds
Gerard

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.