• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes

sofronii

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi Guys,
So, I've had these hiking high rise boots, and I've been thinking to do the camino in them - April this year
But the more I read, and watch videos, the more people are recommending low rise hiking shoes?
Would you agree; what are your thoughts?
Thank you in advance.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If they work for you and you know it, why look into something else just because you read something on the internet. Noone can tell you what will work for you, only what worked for them.

If they work for you and you know it, why look into something else just because you read something on the internet. Noone can tell you what will work for you, only what worked for them.

I agree, go with what you're comfortable with.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am so comfortable with my high shoes and would not trade them for low ones.
Stick to what you are used to.

April is a wonderful time to walk! I believe that the majority of walkers wear mid-high boots but many love low hiking shoes or trail runners. Depending on where you are on the Camino Frances you will encounter everything from city streets (some with cobblestones), smooth prepared walking paths, small rocks, large slippery rocks, steep slippery inclines with loose rock, some mud, sticky deep mud, and various amounts of sheep, cow or horse poop. Then there is walking through hot sunny days, light or pouring rain and possibly snow in the mountains. The conditions are just one consideration in your choice of footwear.

The most important thing in footwear is the comfort and fit.

I walked the CF in April 2017 and I wore a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators which are not waterproof and ventilated my feet very well. I also carried a pair of waterproof socks (Sealskinz) which I wore during very heavy downpours but didn't get enough use to justify bringing them on my next Camino. Since most of the walking I did between SJPP and Finisterra was on asphalt, concrete or hard packed dirt, I found these very comfortable sneakers/trainers/trail shoes perfect for the job. Four people in my group who started the Camino in leather boots ended up buying Teva or Keen sandals (in Pamplona and Leon) and posting the boots home, walking the rest of the camino in the sandals.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've taken two hire rise pairs with me - an old pair and a really old pair. The first gave me blisters as they hadn't been bedded in yet. Make sure they are worn enough to fit your feet as it will be your feet that get you there.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.