• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shops and Markets???

Kulinarykila

I guess this question could also be posted with the food threads but I feel this is more specific to the region. Does anyone have some can't miss patisserie or charcuterie shops along the Le Puy route??? I am a big fan of pates and rillettes and saucisson and of course the bread to go along with them. I know I will be walking through the heart of the foie gras region. Maybe a beautiful fromagerie or weekly market and the days to catch them. I plan to walk a fine line between eating delicious pig parts and fattened goose livers and not getting gout.

Merci,

Geoff S

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Geoff,
You're in for lots of treats but there are many days where you will find no cafe, shop or bar from beginning to end of the day. That is why I recommend staying in gites where you can have demi-pension, (bed breakfast and dinner) as the meal served up in the evening is usually great, home cooked and generous; big tureens of soup, lovely home-made pates and terrines, etc. Breakfast is fairly basic but better to have it as you may not get another coffee all day.
Most towns have markets some day in the week but it's hit and miss as to whether you will be there on the right day. Lots of good local cheeses even in small supermarkets and plenty of ham etc.
As well as pig parts, I hope you like duck. After our second section, Conques to Condom we came home quacking! Duck, duck and more duck, but it was wonderful.

Don't miss the wonderful tarts at the cafe in the village of Aubrac. Lovely salads with Roquefort and walnuts in the Conques area.As you arrive in the basque area piperade becomes the order of the day with everything.
The great part is that with all the walking you can eat all these goodies with no fear of putting on weight!
PS Demi-pension meals almost always include wine.
Enjoy, and bon chemin;
Anna

Kulinarykila said:
Does anyone have some can't miss patisserie or charcuterie shops along the Le Puy route??? I am a big fan of pates and rillettes and saucisson and of course the bread to go along with them. I know I will be walking through the heart of the foie gras region. Maybe a beautiful fromagerie or weekly market and the days to catch them.

I have to agree with IrishPilgrim; the "can't miss" shop is any of them that are open when you pass by. In most of the small towns you pass through, there are no shops at all. In the larger towns, that you might encounter one per day or less often, you will find small shops well-stocked with the pork products, preserved duck, cheeses and bread of that locality. Intermediate-size towns will generally have a bakery.

The challenge when planning is that almost all shops close for Sunday AND Monday in this region; stock up on supplies Saturday, and be sure to check on store closings when you call for reservations.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There's also (or at least there was in 2008) a pate manufacturer that had a shelter with a picnic table for pilgrims and a bunch of pate left out with a price list. They trusted us to take what we wanted and leave money. I can't for the life of me remember where it was, but I think somewhere after Moissac.

Anna-Marie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...
Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.