• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Short connection time in Madrid

DMSyracuse

Time of past OR future Camino
CF March/April 2015 - SJPdP to Santiago
Cam. Finisterre/Muxia August 2016
Cam. Fatima - Oct 2017
Has anyone recently had a short connection time in Madrid and what has been there experience? I will be flying on August 30th from NYC to Madrid arriving 6:25 am and then connecting flight onto Asturias-Oviedo at 7:30 - so 1 hour 5 minute connection time. What are the chances of making that connection? Looks like I arrive in terminal 4S and leave from terminal 4 - so based on airport map i may need to take airport train between the 2 terminals? What is the process like once I arrive? Any tips on things I can do in preparation to make this go smoothly? I assume we still need to do the SPTH QR code, so I'll plan on having that.

My backup plan is to bus it to Oviedo as the next flight would be late afternoon and no sense in hanging around all day if I can make it there earlier via bus.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Has anyone recently had a short connection time in Madrid and what has been there experience? I will be flying on August 30th from NYC to Madrid arriving 6:25 am and then connecting flight onto Asturias-Oviedo at 7:30 - so 1 hour 5 minute connection time. What are the chances of making that connection? Looks like I arrive in terminal 4S and leave from terminal 4 - so based on airport map i may need to take airport train between the 2 terminals? What is the process like once I arrive? Any tips on things I can do in preparation to make this go smoothly? I assume we still need to do the SPTH QR code, so I'll plan on having that.

My backup plan is to bus it to Oviedo as the next flight would be late afternoon and no sense in hanging around all day if I can make it there earlier via bus.
Hi, DMSyracuse,

This is one of those questions for which the answer is always ā€” if the stars align and flights are on time, you can make the connection.

If this is all on one ticket, then the connection time is a ā€œlegalā€ one. I have on occasion arrived in Madrid from the US and found an agent holding a card with my name on it ā€” she had a pass I could use to get through immigration more quickly and get to the head of the security line. Iā€™ve made connections many times with less than an hour, but on occasion it has been very very close.

When you arrive in 4S you will go through immigration, then descend several flights (take the elevator, NOT the escalator) to the train. The train (takes about 4 minutes and comes every couple of minutes) takes you to the main terminal 4. You will then be able to go through a special security line setup just for transiting passengers. That means you do not have to exit the secure area and go back through the long lines.

One thing to be careful about is that if you have a round trip ticket US-Madrid-Oviedo and then Santiago-Madrid-US, if you donā€˜t show up for your Madrid-Oviedo flight they will cancel the rest of your ticket. So if itā€™s all one ticket, I would just wait till the late afternoon flight, which they will rebook you on automatically. If the Madrid-Oviedo ticket was bought separately, you will just lose the ticket if you miss your flight. And then can go hop on the bus.

Good luck! Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, DMSyracuse,

This is one of those questions for which the answer is always ā€” if the stars align and flights are on time, you can make the connection.

If this is all on one ticket, then the connection time is a ā€œlegalā€ one. I have on occasion arrived in Madrid from the US and found an agent holding a card with my name on it ā€” she had a pass I could use to get through immigration more quickly and get to the head of the security line. Iā€™ve made connections many times with less than an hour, but on occasion it has been very very close.

When you arrive in 4S you will go through immigration, then descend several flights (take the elevator, NOT the escalator) to the train. The train (takes about 4 minutes and comes every couple of minutes) takes you to the main terminal 4. You will then be able to go through a special security line setup just for transiting passengers. That means you do not have to exit the secure area and go back through the long lines.

One thing to be careful about is that if you have a round trip ticket US-Madrid-Oviedo and then Santiago-Madrid-US, if you donā€˜t show up for your Madrid-Oviedo flight they will cancel the rest of your ticket. So if itā€™s all one ticket, I would just wait till the late afternoon flight, which they will rebook you on automatically. If the Madrid-Oviedo ticket was bought separately, you will just lose the ticket if you miss your flight. And then can go hop on the bus.

Thanks for the great info Laurie appreciate it. And yes it is a ā€œlegalā€ ticket all through Iberia so we shall see. And yes I do have round trip Santiago - Madrid - US and never thought about them canceling the rest of my ticket if Iā€™m a no show so good to know! I wonder if I miss my connection and specifically cancel that second leg that they book me on if that would avoid that situation. Anyways we shall see Iā€™ll get to Oviedo one way or another as thatā€™s what the caminos all about isnā€™t it - adapt and accept what gets presented to you :)
Thanks again - David

This:

You'll need it.
I wouldn't even consider trying that narrow a timeframe.
(Not recent or pertinent experience though, since the last I flew into Madrid was 2016 - and took the bus. It took 1.5 hours from landing to moving onward...)
Haha yeah I hear you especially with the travel situation these days - itā€™s all through Iberia so not put together as 2 one ways so theyā€™ll rebook me if I canā€™t make it - worth a shot :)

? I assume we still need to do the SPTH QR code, so I'll plan on having that.
Most recent info I have is that if youā€™re ā€˜non EUā€™ you still need that - but itā€™s easy and shouldnā€™t stress. You just file through a part ? of the airport in separate queue and they glance /check that youā€™ve got it. Doesnā€™t add time really (or didnā€™t at end of April this year. ).
One thing to be careful about is that if you have a round trip ticket US-Madrid-Oviedo and then Santiago-Madrid-US, if you donā€˜t show up for your Madrid-Oviedo flight they will cancel the rest of your ticket. So if itā€™s all one ticket, I would just wait till the late afternoon flight, which they will rebook you on automatically.
Such a great reminder ā€¦ about making sure you show up for your ticketed flight. Just go with the flow - if you donā€™t make the early flight ā€¦ youā€™ll get the next. Stay with your flight .

Note: are you aware that when your plane arrives at Asturias airport ā€¦ it is quite a way to Oviedo? . Youā€™ll have to grab the bus (usually parked outside the airport - used to need to turn to right for it after exiting doors but may have changed since 2017. It takes i think about 45 minutes . Bus is not expensive. Taxi could be though - itā€™s roughly 47klms via road (as per rome2rio )

Buen camino.

Ignore the $values - indicative only on rome2rio app. But it wonā€™t be expensive on bus.

Attachments

• 64BC7C2A-F666-46DE-898C-19D45CA2D355.jpeg
    64BC7C2A-F666-46DE-898C-19D45CA2D355.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
We were on the same NYC-Mad flight in mid-April although we were connecting to a flight on to Porto. Our connection time was longer than yours so we didnā€™t have the same worries. Because there wasnā€™t an urgency for us, I didnā€™t exactly monitor how long the process took nor did we hurry through the airport, but as mentioned above, all the stars were aligned pretty well for us that day and we processed through and got to our connecting gate in less than an hour. Once you deplane, thereā€™s a bit of walking and the train, but both are very manageable if you arrive on time. The question mark for me on international travel is how long will the wait be at customs/immigration? Being non-EU, we had to go to long of the two longer lines, but at that hour in the morning, our wait wasnā€™t longer than 10-15 minutes to get cleared. Had we only had 1:05 to make the connection, I believe we would have gotten to the gate before it closed. Best of luck! Buen Csmino!!

Most recent info I have is that if youā€™re ā€˜non EUā€™ you still need that - but itā€™s easy and shouldnā€™t stress. You just file through a part ? of the airport in separate queue and they glance /check that youā€™ve got it. Doesnā€™t add time really (or didnā€™t at end of April this year. ).

Such a great reminder ā€¦ about making sure you show up for your ticketed flight. Just go with the flow - if you donā€™t make the early flight ā€¦ youā€™ll get the next. Stay with your flight .

Note: are you aware that when your plane arrives at Asturias airport ā€¦ it is quite a way to Oviedo? . Youā€™ll have to grab the bus (usually parked outside the airport - used to need to turn to right for it after exiting doors but may have changed since 2017. It takes i think about 45 minutes . Bus is not expensive. Taxi could be though - itā€™s roughly 47klms via road (as per rome2rio )

Buen camino.

Ignore the $values - indicative only on rome2rio app. But it wonā€™t be expensive on bus.
Thanks @OzAnnie for the info and yes am aware and was planning on the bus from airport to Oviedo. If I happen to catch the connecting flight than I'll be arriving in Asturias 8:40 am so won't be in any big hurry at that point and can sit back and relax and enjoy Oviedo when I get there since it'll be my first time there:)..

Note: are you aware that when your plane arrives at Asturias airport ā€¦ it is quite a way to Oviedo? . Youā€™ll have to grab the bus (usually parked outside the airport - used to need to turn to right for it after exiting doors but may have changed since 2017. It takes i think about 45 minutes . Bus is not expensive.

I had the same long connection time in Madrid and decided to stay there as, all in all, the bus time from Madrid was similar to the wait-in-Madrid + bus time-from-Asturias, plus, as Laurie said, you could have your outbound ticket canceled for not showing up.

If you resolve to fly to Asturias, as OzAnnie said, when you exit the airport door, turn right and walk for 100mt. to the bus stop under the shed.
Download the ALSA app (Alsa is the bus service in Spain), because the ticket office is closed so you either buy the ticket online or you pay cash to the bus driver. Price is 9ā‚¬.
I confirm the 45 minutes from Asturias to Oviedo.

As a frequent flier, my experience with passport control leads me to say that it's very unlikely you can make it in time with just 1h5m. Even worse now, that's summer.

I wish you all the best!

Last edited:
ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You should have no problem . But if you miss the flight, just take the bus--Beautiful ride to Oviedo--6 hours.

I too have had a few really tight connections from Madrid. If you inform the flight attendants, like peregrina2000 I was given a card (mine did not have my name on it, I don't think) to get me through customs as well as not having to wait on line to be rescreened as I had my bag with me. Yes take the elevator, someone told me that as I was running. How she knew I have no idea! I can tell you that if you are taking a Vueling or Iberia Express domestic flight the gates are at the very end of the terminal and it is a very, very long terminal. I had to run all the way. I got there as they were boarding. I probably had about 8-10 to spare but I was running the whole time.

I wonder if I miss my connection and specifically cancel that second leg that they book me on if that would avoid that situation.
I think itā€™s worth a try, but I think you need to go to the ticket counter to get clear information. I would not do the cancellation myself, nor would I leave the airport without having something confirmed that you can show when you go to check in in Santiago. I have stood in a lot of check-in lines, and I have seen some very unhappy situations involving this precise issue.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think itā€™s worth a try, but I think you need to go to the ticket counter to get clear information. I would not do the cancellation myself, nor would I leave the airport without having something confirmed that you can show when you go to check in in Santiago. I have stood in a lot of check-in lines, and I have seen some very unhappy situations involving this precise issue.
The vast majority of ā€˜tight connectionsā€™ are achieved! Donā€™t know a number but I would guess > 85% Each airport has an MCT (Minimum Connection Time) and it is governed by assessing and reassessing flight punctuality and whether customers made their connex. I believe MCT is 60 minutes at Madrid. It an averages game of course so good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
The vast majority of ā€˜tight connectionsā€™ are achieved! Donā€™t know a number but I would guess > 85% Each airport has an MCT (Minimum Connection Time) and it is governed by assessing and reassessing flight punctuality and whether customers made their connex. I believe MCT is 60 minutes at Madrid. It an averages game of course so good luck!
Sorry if I wasnā€™t clear, but I wasnā€™t talking about whether I thought he would make the connection (that was what I discussed in my original response in post 2 of this thread, and I essentially agree with you).

I was talking about what I think @DMSyracuse should do if he does in fact miss the connection, knowing that Iberia will automatically rebook him on the later flight. He had said he thought he would forego the later flight and just go get on a bus rather than hang around the airport. The response you quoted was where I expressed my concern about that strategy ā€” I would never do that without making sure the airline has signed off on it; otherwise they are very likely to just cancel the rest of his trip.

Sorry if I wasnā€™t clear, but I wasnā€™t talking about whether I thought he would make the connection (that was what I discussed in my original response in post 2 of this thread, and I essentially agree with you).

I was talking about what I think @DMSyracuse should do if he does in fact miss the connection, knowing that Iberia will automatically rebook him on the later flight. He had said he thought he would forego the later flight and just go get on a bus rather than hang around the airport. The response you quoted was where I expressed my concern about that strategy ā€” I would never do that without making sure the airline has signed off on it; otherwise they are very likely to just cancel the rest of his trip.
Apologies that is totally my fault! I was just making a general point about MCT and lazily replied to the last comment. Your advice was great and I am sure well received! I will be more careful in future!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
Apologies that is totally my fault! I was just making a general point about MCT and lazily replied to the last comment. Your advice was great and I am sure well received! I will be more careful in future!
Oh please donā€™t apologize, I know I have a tendency to sound like a school marm, and I didnā€™t mean it in any lecturing fingerwagging way. I just want to try to make sure that everyone knows the risk of not showing up for a leg of a round trip flight, unless itā€™s the very last leg of course!

If you get in late, do not skip out on the next segment. Take the Next available flight which they should automatically book you into. Airlines will likely invalidate the rest of your ticket, if you skip out. If your not fluent in Spanish getting help on the telephone and even at the airport can be quite challenging with Iberia, especially for non Spainsh speakers, especially at the smaller airports.

You should have no problem . But if you miss the flight, just take the bus--Beautiful ride to Oviedo--6 hours.
Since the OP has return flights on the same ticket he can't do this as all subsequent flights will be canceled if he misses one.
The airline will rebook him.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
I had the same long connection time in Madrid and decided to stay there as, all in all, the bus time from Madrid was similar to the wait-in-Madrid + bus time-from-Asturias, plus, as Laurie said, you could have your outbound ticket canceled for not showing up.

If you resolve to fly to Asturias, as OzAnnie said, when you exit the airport door, turn right and walk for 100mt. to the bus stop under the shed.
Download the ALSA app (Alsa is the bus service in Spain), because the ticket office is closed so you either buy the ticket online or you pay cash to the bus driver. Price is 9ā‚¬.
I confirm the 45 minutes from Asturias to Oviedo.

As a frequent flier, my experience with passport control leads me to say that it's very unlikely you can make it in time with just 1h5m. Even worse now, that's summer.

I wish you all the best!
Thanks Marco! - i've downloaded the ALSA app so good to go there: and yes if I miss my flight I'll most likely just wait it out for the next one and probably catch up on some sleep:)...

That will be really tough even if you only have carry ob. There is a long walk to the transport between terminals and it is not totally intuitive. There will be no one in the airport at that time to ask for help.

That will be really tough even if you only have carry ob. There is a long walk to the transport between terminals and it is not totally intuitive. There will be no one in the airport at that time to ask for help.
Yes just my backpack carry on - have recvd some great info here on what to expect so will hope for the best and if not i'll just plan for a later arrival into Oviedo:)...

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes just my backpack carry on - have recvd some great info here on what to expect so will hope for the best and if not i'll just plan for a later arrival into Oviedo:)...
Yes just relax. The vast majority of connections are made!

Hi, DMSyracuse,

Fabulous advice!!

I did this the other day with 1hr 15 layover and missed the connecting flight. The problem was the immigration. So many people without the right paperwork and immunisation records and too few officers at desks. There was no rapid - express connection option on offer.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
Just wanted to follow up on this thread and am happy to report had no trouble making my 1 hr 5 minute connection time once arriving in Madrid. Actually had 1.5 hours because my flight from JFK was nearly 30 mins early. But I timed it and it only took me 45 minutes to get through customs train to terminal and getting to my gate.

Also not the correct thread but since it such a popular topic of discussion I once again had no issue bringing my hiking poles as I always collapse them down and put the rubber tips on them, stuff them in my pack and have never been questioned.

Thatā€™s all - day 1 on the Camino Primitivo complete and it was a beautiful day !

Just wanted to follow up on this thread and am happy to report had no trouble making my 1 hr 5 minute connection time once arriving in Madrid. Actually had 1.5 hours because my flight from JFK was nearly 30 mins early. But I timed it and it only took me 45 minutes to get through customs train to terminal and getting to my gate.

Also not the correct thread but since it such a popular topic of discussion I once again had no issue bringing my hiking poles as I always collapse them down and put the rubber tips on them, stuff them in my pack and have never been questioned.

Thatā€™s all - day 1 on the Camino Primitivo complete and it was a beautiful day !
Great well done! Good work!

Also not the correct thread but since it such a popular topic of discussion I once again had no issue bringing my hiking poles as I always collapse them down and put the rubber tips on them,
Glad you made your connection!

Iā€™m assuming that once in Madrid, you stayed in T4 and went through the security for transiting passengers to get to your Oviedo flight . No problem with poles in Madrid security?

Enjoy the Primitivo!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
Glad you made your connection!

Iā€™m assuming that once in Madrid, you stayed in T4 and went through the security for transiting passengers to get to your Oviedo flight . No problem with poles in Madrid security?

Enjoy the Primitivo!
Yes correct went thru security for transiting passengers without any issue with my poles that were inside my pack collapsed down with rubber tips on them

Good job! I almost missed a flight out of Madrid with a wider connection from local flight bc of a bottleneck at security (single scanner every everyone had to put their carry on through and someone pissed off the tech so she then hand-searched every bag), which we had to re-clear.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and CadaquĆ©s then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year Iā€™m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back