• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Short cut from Miraz to Arco do Pino?

mdefrayne

Howdy,

My first post! :)

I have traveled the Camino Frances in the Spring. Now, my wife will journey with me on the Camino Norte this summer. Because it will be Summer, I'm not as thrilled about dealing with Arzua, then the run to Santiago.

I was thinking if there was a shortcut or alternate route to Arco do Pino, that would be a great place to being the final walk to Santiago. I stayed in the Albergue Santa Irene and it was fine, good facilities with a good meal just back a 1/2k.

Any thoughts on such an idea?

Thanks,
Mark

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Pilgrims leaving Miraz are forever casting about looking for shortcuts or some way to move west alongside the Frances without joining it til the last minute. The best you can do (that I know of) is get a local map of the little two-lane roads in the comarca and try navigating your way through those. You lose all waymarks that way (of course) and take your chances with the wackos driving out there... not to mention the very fact that you´re walking on paved roads.

I´d heard of people walking due west from Sobraado de los Monxes, but I never heard where they ended up. Maybe they are still out there?

Reb (heading back to Miraz again in April!)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Peter you are amazing. I only wish your link would load on my computer!

Now, how about a walking route from Lugo to Miraz? I´ve driven it, but I´m not sure I´d risk walking on those twisty little roads with speeding cars...

Rebekah Scott said:
I only wish your link would load on my computer!
what's the problem?
Rebekah Scott said:
Now, how about a walking route from Lugo to Miraz?
well, there's one from Lugo to Sobrado which joins the Norte about 2/3s of the way Miraz-Sobrado. There's a guide of sorts at http://www.jacobeo.net/documentos/fiche ... obrado.pdf
In fact, now I come to look at it, I see this document proposes a route (largely along the lanes) west from Boimorte, joining the CF at A Brea - not quite O Pino but further W than Arzua.

Hi Peter, I too cannot open your links, (same problem as last year) - when I click on the link it opens to a map(?) no picture, with only the zoom in/out "T" showing on the left of the screen

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am on a Mac (Firefox 3) and get this error:

Your value should be larger than 0 and lesser than the download limit:
width: {1500, height: 1500

... I try to zoom in and out, but no map :|

Saludos,
Ivar

Attachments

• Picture 10.png
    Picture 10.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,103
As I say in the help, you have to reduce the width of the browser window. There's a maximum image width (and height, tho that's less likely to be a problem given the normal landscape-style monitor) of 1500 pixels. The program sets up a buffer, which is normally 50% more, so you can pan the map a bit in any direction without having to load a new image. If you have a standard screen size of 1024x768 that will be just over the limit at full-screen, so I reduced the buffer size to 40% more. Of course, that won't help if you're using a higher-resolution screen, say 1280 - even 10% then would be too much.

If you look at the url of the image, you'll see width and height at the end; if either of those is > 1500, it won't work.

I'll look into making this more foolproof, giving an error msg before requesting the map image.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Peter,
I now get this message when I try your original link: "Browser window is too wide; reduce to 1070 pixels or less". ???

The second links comes up with a beautiful map, but what am I looking at? Sorry, but I'm not that familiar with Spain, but this conversation is under the Camino Norte header, and the Camino (?) noted in pink x's on the map starts at the Mediterranean.... I didn't recognize the city...

Howdy,

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like there is no previously used trail. With the roads being what they are, maybe it would be best to stay in Sobrado. The next day walk to Arzua for an early lunch then off to Santa Irene. Santa Irene Alburgue is a good place to begin the last day's walk to Santiago.

Thanks a lot,
Mark

Hi Peter,

Using Multimap I am able to see the path described in your document. Very interesting. Thanks a lot, definetly food for thought.

Thanks,
Mark

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
ok, I've now swapped these out. e30.html no longer exists and is now e.html, so the link previously given http://maps.peterrobins.co.uk/e.html?zo ... n=-8.20818 will use the tiled map with no restrictions on overall size (though, obviously, the larger your screen size, the more tiles it has to fetch and the longer this will take).

now, could you Internet Explorer users test something for me? I've added the ability, if you click anywhere on the map, it displays a little popup with the lat/long for the point clicked, plus you can fetch the weather report from the nearest station and/or nearby Wikipedia entries. This fetching seems to work fine on non-IE browsers (though response times vary widely, from startlingly fast to thumb-twiddlingly slow), but at least on the version of IE I have it just sits there and does nothing, bizarrely unless I add an alert message. Could you try this out and let me know which IE version you have and whether it fetches the data or not?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.