• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Short film from 1955

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for posting this link ! - very interesting to see how places like San Anton and Puenta la Ruena looked like in 1955.

The website is actually a treasure for anyone interested in Spanish history.
And I actually found another film about Santiago from 1944 (Un dia en Santiago)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
WOW, WOW, WOW! What more can I say. Even without being able to follow the majority of the narration it was still possible to recognise so much of the Camino. The procession around Santiago on St James Day was impressive . Thank you!

I found an interesting link on a French Facebook page. It’s a short film in black and white from 1955, on the camino and Santiago.

This is wonderful. A fascinating glimpse into times past. Among the many other things mentioned above, I'll note the empty transcept aisles in the cathedral as the men swing the butofumero.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No-Do is the colloquial name for Noticiarios y Documentales, ("News and Documentaries"), a state-controlled series of cinema newsreels produced in Spain from 1943 to 1981 and closely associated with the 1936–1975 Francisco Franco's dictatorial regime.
In their heyday, the No-Do newsreels predictably contained a good deal of propaganda and effervescent reporting in favour of the Francoist State. They were a way in which Franco could hav…
Wikipedia · Text under CC-BY-SA license

From the first part of the video it seems that Santiago was a rural town in 1944. But what we see is the weekly cattle fair that was held every thursday at Carballeira de Santa Susana in Parque de la Alameda. This fair lasted till the early 80's.
You can see women from the villages around Santiago carrying goods on their heads to sell them in the fair. This, and the cow carts were not usual issues on the NODOs because they showed a very backward country.
I wonder if the fact that the film director Christian Anwander was German had to do with this.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is wonderful. A fascinating glimpse into times past. Among the many other things mentioned above, I'll note the empty transcept aisles in the cathedral as the men swing the butofumero.
Wonderful film! Shows so many of the churches en route. I wonder how many pilgrims there were in 1955 compared ro now.
1955? I was just leaving school and starting work!

I found an interesting link on a French Facebook page. It’s a short film in black and white from 1955, on the camino and Santiago.

Interesting. It was weird seeing the Alto de Perdon without the wind turbines or sculptures. I was surprised not to see the cathedrals in Burgos or Leon (although the did show the Pantheon in San Isidoro). And while they showed many castles, they weren't ones I recognized from the Camino and didn't seem to include the one in Ponferrada. FInally, it was anso very different seeing the Botafumeiro swung in an empty transept. I'm used to seeing it swung over many chairs and people.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Did not understand a bloody word of it, but loved every bit of it!

Beautiful - thank you for posting.
M.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I love this -- thank you very much for sharing it.

Excellent video of days gone by. Thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Anik2001

Another wonderful piece of history here from the RTVE archive: Holy Year 1982
Another absolutely wonderful historical film, including everything from the opening and the closing of the Door of Mercy, bands of Troubadours in native dress, Pope St. JPII and World Youth Day, and some mouthwatering food.

Oh yes, and some drink, as well. 😄

I love these films.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my name is Xosé and I am doing a research on LGBT people who have done the Camino. I would be very grateful if you could help me through your experiences. If possible I would like to...
Can someone tell me what Spanish word is used in Spain to refer to hiking poles? Bastones? Palos? Also, as women in tv and movies generally are now referred to as "actores" rather than "actrices"...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back