• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

short mountain-based walk between León and Galicia?

Mark Temple

Time of past OR future Camino
first week of June 2017
hi everyone

Slightly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of resources on this site! But hey, I have already discovered the existence of the Camino de Invierno :)

I'm looking to do a short (maybe 5 days or so?) mountain-based walk at the end of June (I don't have a lot of time, and want to end in Vigo to see a long-lost friend). I realise I will probably be considered sacrilegious because I'm not necessarily intending to end up in Santiago, but I guess we all have our own "camino" :) The main thing for me is to discover an area of Spain I don't know and to enjoy varied and hopefully wonderful scenery (and also hopefully good food and wine!)

I'm thinking of flying into Oviedo and out of Santiago, but this could be flexible.

I was thinking of either:
Camino Francés: Ponferrada - Sarria (night 1 Peiros, night 2 Pradela, night 3 Las Herrerías, night 4 Fonfría, night 5 San Mamede)
Camino de Invierno: Ponferrada - Monforte de Lemos (Las Medulas - O Barco - A Rua - Quiroga - A Pobra de Brollón)

I know the Camino de Invierno is (a lot!) less travelled, but how about the actual walking on these routes. I would imagine both are beautiful, but of course I don't know about the specific details.

Or maybe there is another route I haven't even considered?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Mark
A couple of quick thoughts:
I can't think of anything that matches your spec exactly, so a compromise will probably be necessary.
If it's mountains you want, it has to be the San Salvador. Most pilgrims start in Leon and walk it in about 5-6 days to Oviedo, but you could always walk it the other way if you are flying into Oviedo. Over 5 days it's still a pretty demanding walk especially in hot weather, with quite a lot of ups and downs particuarly at the Oviedo end. It's not suffered from over-use yet and it's a fascinating area. There are fewer albergues (but enough IMO) and minimal pilgrim infrastructure so it would be quite demanding for a first camino, if that is what this is?
Otherwise, if you can forego the hills, then why not walk up from Vilar do Conde, just north of Porto on the Camino Portuges, right into Vigo? You could choose the central route or coastal option. Or, start in in Santiago and walk back along the Portugues to Vigo in about 4 days..
Cheers, tom

Hola Mark and welcome to the Forum.

I haven't walked the San Salvador but would ditto @peregrino_tom. There's a pilgrim here who just finished it and he just said, without prompting, "It's all mountain walking!"

It doesn't end in Galicia, though - don't know if that was one of your requirements?
Faith

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks, both! The Oviedo idea might be an interesting one.

You don't like either of my options so much? It doesn't have to be mountains all the way, btw, just SOME mountains!

Is the main camino francés going to be busy towards the end of June?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Here's another option that could combine a bit of both and be a circle.

A three day circle walk from Ponferrada that touches the Camino Francés but spends most of its time in the Valle del Silencio. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...n-splendor-from-ponferrada-or-el-acebo.27697/

You could even make it a bigger circle, going from Montes de Valdeuza on to As Médulas and then back to Ponferrada on the Invierno in reverse.

I agree with those who recommend the Salvador. Only thing is that there is a lot of pavement walking on the last stretch along the river walk into Mieres and then close to Oviedo, but that's inevitable if you are going to walk into a city.

Hmmm, yes, that sounds brilliant!

I wonder if it could be combined with some walking between Ponferrada and O Barco and/or A Rua. Both of these are on the railways, so would then allow me to continue to Vigo.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, if you go Ponferrada - El Acebo - Peñalba - As Médulas, you are then on the Camino Invierno and O Barco de Valdeorras is 26 km away. And A Rúa another short 15 km beyond that.

I have not yet walked Peñalba to As Médulas, but there are good tracks on wikiloc if you want to use a GPS (which might be a good idea since you are not going to run into a lot of people).

Hi Mark,

How about Puebla de Sanabria to Orense via the Sanabres?
I just did it and it's nice.
Orense has regular connections to Vigo.

Buen Camino

Andy

I'm with Laurie. Do the Valley of Silence hike from El Acebo or Ponferrada, over the "Mirada Circular" trails and join the Invierno in Las Medulas. The walk from Penalba to Las Medulas is the toughest day of Camino I've ever walked, but if you like mountains and you want to end up along the rail line, you can't beat this hike.
Be aware, however, that recent forest fires have blackened hillsides along a portion of the first day's walk out of El Acebo, as well as the second day out of Penalba. I don't imagine they will stay that way for long, however!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks! So the walk is Ponferrada-El Acebo-Penyalba-Las Médulas-O Barco-A Rua, right? What places to stay are there, and options for food? I guess this walk is not really marked as such? Never used GPS, I have to confess :)

Also wondering how long each day is...

Last edited:
Thanks! So the walk is Ponferrada-El Acebo-Penyalba-Las Médulas-O Barco-A Rua, right? What places to stay are there, and options for food? I guess this walk is not really marked as such? Never used GPS, I have to confess :)
Hi, Mark,

For Ponferrada-El Acebo leg you should be good with Camino Frances sources. Try https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances or http://www.mundicamino.com/los-caminos/15/camino-frances/ or http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/frances/.

I think Laurie or Rebekah will provide the info and the link for El Acebo-Las Medulas stretch.

And for Invierno from Las Medulas you'll get all the info from the guide posted in Resources section on the forum. I'm attaching it here anyway as a .pdf.

Buen Camino!

Attachments

• Invierno guide.2017.pdf
    203.6 KB · Views: 2
No, actually, K1, the Ponferrada to El Acebo stage is not the Camino Frances. The link to my descrption of Reb´s and my walk explains how to get on the gorgeous Puente de Malpaso walk. You come to the Francés about 5 or 6 km before El Acebo on the Francés and then turn right, so you are walking against the Francés traffic.

I think our little guide also explained where we stayed. In Ponferrada there are plenty of options, albergues or hotels-pensiones. Same in El Acebo. In Peñalba, we stayed at the very nice albergue La Masera. If you go from there to As Médulas you have the options of a hotel, the Complejo Rural Agoga, as well as Casa Socorro. From As Médiulas, you will be on the Invierno, and can find plenty of places in Barco and A Rúa (our online guide lists them).

Length of the day will depend on you and your fitness, and there will be more variation on these stages between fit and not so fit because there is a lot of elevation.
Hope this makes sense, it would be an adventure. For an experienced hiker, it is nothing over the top.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No, actually, K1, the Ponferrada to El Acebo stage is not the Camino Frances. The link to my descrption of Reb´s and my walk explains how to get on the gorgeous Puente de Malpaso walk. You come to the Francés about 5 or 6 km before El Acebo on the Francés and then turn right, so you are walking against the Francés traffic.

I know Laurie :D I answered the part of the question about places to stay and food options with posting the links. Both Ponferrada and El Acebo are on CF but the proposed route isn't, that's true. I wasn't really clear about it, forgive me Mark.

Wrestling with the logistics... I was wondering about what people thought about doing the O Barco-Médulas-Peñalba-Acebo-Ponferrada walk in reverse?

Guess there is still no place to stay in Sobradelo?

Not too sure about the waymarking on the Las/As Médulas - Peñalba bit - is this likely to prove tricky? I could download a a map of some kind? But won't have GPS on my phone unless I have wifi. Also a little worried it might be TOO long - is there a link to your post on this, Rebekah?

Last edited:
Wrestling with the logistics... I was wondering about what people thought about doing the O Barco-Médulas-Peñalba-Acebo-Ponferrada walk in reverse?

Not too sure about the waymarking on the Las/As Médulas - Peñalba bit - is this likely to prove tricky? I could download a a map of some kind? But won't have GPS on my phone unless I have wifi. Also a little worried it might be TOO long - is there a link to your post on this, Rebekah?

Try this thread, but you may find more if you just type medulas and penalba in the search box.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ebo-to-penalba-de-santiago.26012/#post-192032

There is some accommodation in Sobradelo, have you seen the forum guide to the Invierno? That will cover As Medulas, Barco, and a Rua, since they are all on the Invierno.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-de-invierno-2017-edition.535/

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, I have looked at the Invierno guide - great, btw! :) It mentioned someone there was thinking of opening an albergue - that's why I asked!

Also saw that thread - which is kind of why I asked (what you said about the knees!) :( I wonder whether it might be feasible to go back to Ponferrada from Peñalba. Also considering cheating by taking the train to Quereño, perhaps. It's good to have a bit of flexibility,. I think.

Is the Puentes de Malpaso trail to El Acebo easily doable in a long afternoon? Might not arrive in Ponferrada till lunchtime.

In my Invierno daily journal:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-camino-de-invierno-july-2014.25355/ (post No.18) I wrote this about accommodation in Sobradelo:
"Owner of Bar Mar is Manuel Angel Martinez Ramos (988-335-106) and was so kind that I could easily put him into the »Camino Angels« group. He told me that albergue on this address is a very long term project of his, but he could offer overnight stay for 4 persons if called at least one day ahead just to be able to clean up his apartment."

Thanks. Strangely, all the links to maps of the Mirada Circular that i can find are broken - three different ones on official-seeming tourism sites take me to a Japanese page on wifi provision in Brazil :) Seems odd that there were some great maps knocking around some years ago, but now they are nowhere to be found!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks! I guess I'll have to work with the wikilocs maps. Must work out how to download them and use them now!

Still a bit concerned about that long day. One MIGHT presume that because the Penyalba (maybe given proximity to Galicia that should be "Penhalba" for my tilde-deprived home PC?) - Médulas path is part of the Mirada Circular, it should be waymarked, but given that fact that maps of this path are conspicuously absent from the internet, I am not confident. Does anyone know if the whole path has been marked?

Btw, how many hours would you guys estimate for Ponferrada-El Acebo via the Malpaso path? I am wondering if it could be done in an afternoon. This would give me greater flexibility.

Sorry, I have somehow missed this discussion! When Reb and I walked, we did a three day circle from Ponferrada. Ponferrada-Acebo-Peñalba-Ponferrada. The day from Peñalba back to Ponferrada is the same route as the way to As Médulas up to the monastery at Montes de Valdeuza. Then the two split and we headed back to Ponferrada. It was a long day but we had a long visit at the monastery and were not speedwalking by any means. The last few kms into Ponferrada are suburban dreary, but the way is marked.

I actually posted our walk's tracks on wikiloc.

https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=7544208
https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=7544511
https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=7544531

As far as whether you could walk the Puentes de Malpaso stretch in an afternoon, that is impossible for anyone but you to answer. It's not just about the distance, it's also the elevation. You should look at my wikiloc tracks because they will show you the elevation gain and descent totals as well as distances, and you can make your assessment based on what you know about your own abilities.

I also have a vague memory about the disappearance of the mirada circular materials. I think it was a tourist effort that fizzled. This thread has some more information https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ebo-to-penalba-de-santiago.26012/#post-107179.

I saw that in the thread that Gunnar said he sent me some maps, so I will hunt through my old emails and see if I can find them!

Good luck with this! Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks, Laurie!

I have downloaded wikilocs onto my phone, but can't work out how I can actually see a map while I'm out walking (and don't have wifi). Am I missing something?

I used to walk a lot in the Pyrenees and in Italy, but yeah, that was a long time ago now :-( I guess the El Acebo walk is an ascent of about 800m or so. How many km is it? I imagine the El Acebo-Penhalba day is also quite long?

Do you reckon I need to book accommodation on this route? If so, will need to look for contacts (I'm thinking Penhalba and maybe El Acebo, and the guy in Sobradelo - that would be my last night as I'm planning it).

Well, you don't really have to be on-line all the time as to see your current location. Actually in airplane mode (off-line) it's the same as with the printed maps. And that's it ;)

Enjoy!

Thanks, Laurie!

I have downloaded wikilocs onto my phone, but can't work out how I can actually see a map while I'm out walking (and don't have wifi). Am I missing something?

I used to walk a lot in the Pyrenees and in Italy, but yeah, that was a long time ago now :-( I guess the El Acebo walk is an ascent of about 800m or so. How many km is it? I imagine the El Acebo-Penhalba day is also quite long?

Do you reckon I need to book accommodation on this route? If so, will need to look for contacts (I'm thinking Penhalba and maybe El Acebo, and the guy in Sobradelo - that would be my last night as I'm planning it).

I just looked at the wikilocs track I posted above, and it shows El Acebo to Peñalba is about 25 km, with about 650 m elevation.

Ponferrada to El Acebo is about 19 km. 970 m ascent.

I would make a reservation in Peñalba at La Masera.

El Acebo has several albergues, as well as La Trucha, a B and B whose owner can tell you a lot about this walk.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks, both of you! I reckon 5 hrs should be plenty for Ponferrada - El Acebo. Would like to stay at La Trucha but not sure I can justify an extra 40 or 50 euros for the first night. Now if it was the third or fourth...

I am still pondering the Penhalba-Médulas day. Thinking if instead I return to Ponferrada, I will still have 2 days (and 2 nights) hiking - need to be in Ponferrada by lunchtime on the third day to move on to León and Oviedo for return to the dreaded old country that evening.

So, should I end up in Ponferrada instead of Médulas, I could:
a) (bit of) CAMINO DE INVIERNO
- take train to Querenho and walk to A Rúa, staying a night in Sobradelo/O Barco and a night in A Rúa, then train to Ponferrada/León
b) (bit of) CAMINO FRANCES
1. - take bus to Villafranca and walk to Ruitelán or La Herrerías albergues on main route, then walk back to Pradela albergue, and back to Villafranca on the last morning to return to Ponferrada/León
or
2. - take bus to Villafranca and walk to Pradela via mountain route, then walk to Ruitelán or las Herrerías. On the last morning walk up to Cebreiro and then to Piedrafita de Cebriero to pick up bus to León at 11.20 (I like this idea, but wonder how long it would take to walk that section?)

Which would be the most interesting and beautiful walking? Maybe I should also mention that I know much of Spain quite well - lived there for some years and travelled widely), and that good food and wine are also important to me :)

Last edited:
No luck in contacting La Masera. I've tried the email and FB page, but nothing so far...

I'm thinking of having the option of walking Villafranca-La Herrerías-O Cebreiro instead of the Las Médulas-O Braco bit, in case I don't feel up to THAT day. :eek:

Wondering whether I need to take a sleeping bag. I would much rather not, as I#ll be walking with a hand-luggage size daypack. Will need blankets though, as I feel the cold a lot.

OK, better late than never (I hope ;))

I did this walk as planned last month, doing Laurie's Peñalba "loop" and then the bit of the Francés between Villafranca and O Cebreiro (and the mountain variant via Pradela). The second day was really one of the most beautiful walks I have ever done anywhere. It's beyond me why therer is no one at all walking this way, when it so clearly much more beautiful (and certainly more peaceful!) than any bit of the Camino Francés. The Montes Aquiilanos are a glorious area than seems to be completely under the radar. I should mention that in April there was a massive (and deliberately-started) forest fire which has left the whole area between San Cristóbal, Peñalba and Montes de Valdueza completely blackened. I am sure the forest will regenerate eventually, but it is of course an ecological disaster.

First day (Ponferrada - El Acebo (via El Lombillo and Puentes de Malpaso)): a long, hot and fairly arduous climb out of Ponferrada, with no shade. Roadside cherries were nice though :) I should mention that this path is not at all well marked, and you really need to keep your wits about you - I went wrong three times! On the long descent to the bridges (before the path meets the one coming from Molinaseca), there is one especially confusing intersection where markings appear to point you upwards - don't do it, like I did!:eek:. In fact, if you are interested in doing this path, I would advise walking first to Molinaseca along the Francés, as the walk via El Lombillo involves plenty of (unnecessary) climbing. IMO Laurie has somewhat exaggerated the beauty of the Puentes - it's a nice green interlude, but absolutely nothing compared with what you will see the next day. The ascent towards the road (and Riego/El Acebo) is not really waymarked at all (though you do have plenty of chance to study the terrain on your descent to the bridges). I was heading for El Acebo (having missed the unmarked Riego turnoff) when I met a huge flock of sheep, followed a few minutes later by a pair of equally huge sheepdogs. I was not brave (or foolhardy?) enough to confront them and walk past, and thought it would be a bad idea to retreat again, where I would find myself among the sheep, so I decided to flee straight up the mountain, figuring the road wasn't far away. I was right, but it was a prickly and thorny 15 minute climb. Fortunately the albergue had a nice selection of local Mencías to accompany my evening tapitas :)

Second day (El Acebo - Peñalba de Santiago, via Compludo and Bouzas): wow! What a walk! I decided to do this variant of Laurie's walk from one I found on wikilocs, and I would recommend it. I would guess it is even more beautiful, as it hugs the mountains much more closely and goes through more unpopulated areas. From the mill at Herrerías, go up to Compludo (a beautiful village with an ancient church and a couple of bars) rather than to Espinosa de Compludo/San Cristóbal. From Compludo it's a few km uphill along a (deserted) road through chestnut forest to the (almost deserted) hamlet of Palacios de Compludo, where only three people now live (ornithologists). From there a gorgeous and well-marked path through seemingly untouched flower-filled forest, crossing streams with waterfalls, to Bouzas. From there a long walk up the valley on an irregularly-marked path to meet the mountain road (about 1500m above sea level), from where you can see Peñalba nestled far below in the next valley (20 mins down on the piste). Peñalba is a very special village, one of the most beautiful I have ever been to (and I've been to an awful lot in Spain:D), with restored ancient houses and a unique 10th century mozárabe church. La Masera is a lovely place to stay (though Pilar is intending to rent the apartment only as a regular holiday let, and not an albergue-type operation). The bar opposite hers is wonderful too - run by an intelligent and cultured man who serves lovely food - and high-quality wine:)

third day (Peñalba - Ponferrada via Montes de Valdueza): Decided to chill a bit in the morning after visiting the cave of 10th century hermit San Genadio, half an hour's walk away, before breakfast. At midday I walked up a steep path through an unscathed bit of a forest and over a grassy ridge to have lunch by a waterfall on the descent to Montes. The monastery seemed to be closed, so I walked on down towards the main valley. I don't think it makes much difference which path you take down to the river - all the mountain is burnt anyway :( From the bottom it's a long (too long!) walk to Ponferrada, partly along the road and partly on parallel paths. Should mention that there is a hot and steep climb between San Esteban and San Lorenzo, just when you don't need such a thing. The walk through old Mencía vineyards (with cherries :)) is nice, but by this time you will be just dying to get your boots off and have a shower:rolleyes:

fourth day (Ponferrada - Pradela): Got up lateish to find the albergue was entirely deserted :D Chilled in Ponferrada and then got a bus to Villafranca, where I had a nice (and long:)) lunch in an old convent. From there I walked the mountain variant of the Camino to Pradela - despite locals hanging out around the turismo in Villafranca trying to dissuade me from taking this route - why?? o_O It's a hard slog up out of Villafranca, in any case, but soon flattens out a bit. It's an OK walk, and certainly more interesting than the main Camino, but nothing really special until you get near to Pradela, when the chestnuts appear and it gets more interesting. Pradela is a fascinating village - I didn't think there were still villages in Spain with working burros, and the Albergue Las Lamas is a great place to stay - a really personal experience staying with the family, and quite unlike the commercialisation of most of the Francés. they make great homemade Mencía (from their vineyards near Villafranca - you can't grow grapes up here!) and nice chestnut cake too. 100% recommended!

fifth day (Pradela - Herrerías de Valcarce): Easy day. Lovely walk down from Pradela to rejoin the main Camino at Trabadelo - I did my best to spin this bit out as much as possible ;) After that, easy and pleasant walk along the old road to Herrerías, where I stayed at the impeccable Casa Lixa. Did a little "side walk" up in the forest above Herrerías in the afternoon. Herrerías is a bit new-agey for my tastes :eek:, but there is a great restaurant there, El Capricho de Josana, where you can have a fabulous plate of pulpo with a good local Godello (yeah, as you have probably realised by now pilgrim menus are not my thing :D).

last day (Herrerías - O Cebreiro): as I wasn't going to Santiago, I thought that entering Galicia at the historical entry point of O Cebreiro would be a nice way to finish my walk (and there's a convenient bus service to León (or Santiago) from Pedrafita do Cebreiro, a few km away). So I set off early today, as I had to be in Pedrafita for my bus at half eleven. This is a gorgeous walk, up through the last little villages in Castile, with beautiful views back over the mountains. O Cebreiro was (unsurprisingly) very touristy indeed, but still had plenty of atmosphere, especially the ancient church with all its Camino history. The pallozas were supercute too, of course :) From there it was an easy 4 km down to Pedrafita and the main road to catch my bus to León.

Many thanks to Laurie and others who contributed - I'd never even have known the Peñalba loop existed! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
OK, better late than never (I hope ;))

First day (Ponferrada - El Acebo (via El Lombillo and Puentes de Malpaso)):

IMO Laurie has somewhat exaggerated the beauty of the Puentes - it's a nice green interlude, but absolutely nothing compared with what you will see the next day.
sted! :)

So glad that you enjoyed it. And thanks for all the updates and tips.

I am always happy to have people offset my enthusiasm with their own more more tempered voices. ;)The pretty part is bracketed by the road out of Ponferrada to the turn-off, and then from Riego de Ambrós along the road, going backwards on the Camino, to El Acebo. Neither of those parts is particularly pretty. But I thought the views from the top and the green tunnel descents to the bridges and then up again, were quite nice. And I also know that in my mind I was comparing it to the Camino Francés from El Acebo into Ponferrada. In any event, it is a glorious walk!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back