• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Short-term rent of camino house

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Time of past OR future Camino
Many, various, and continuing.
A classic adobe house right on the camino in a dusty, friendly little meseta town, fixed-up to a holiday-home standard. Garden out back, parking. Next to the church, steps away from the plaza, bar, and albergue.
How many of you would realistically consider taking a short or long-term rental of such a place?
What would you require?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Reb! I love the idea!
For short term, how about some kind of 'shopping list' option so that guests had a box of groceries on arrival enabling some home cooking, preparing breakfast etc. (Fresh produce from the neighbouring vegetable gardens perhaps!) Bikes? Lots of local information on opening times, mass times, train times, taxi numbers etc....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would love to! I am in a position to take 'holidays' when I want, as I can work pretty much anywhere. Being on the Camino I would be able to feel I was part of it and meet other pilgrims even if I wasn't walking myself, or perfect for those who can't walk very far or fast or want or need a rest week. Great suggestions from Tyrrek about some kind of shopping list, especially for heavy things like tinned or fresh foods not readily available in the village. I don't drive myself so I would definitely appreciate having some pre-arrival shopping done.

A classic adobe house right on the camino in a dusty, friendly little meseta town, fixed-up to a holiday-home standard. Garden out back, parking. Next to the church, steps away from the plaza, bar, and albergue.
How many of you would realistically consider taking a short or long-term rental of such a place?
What would you require?

Rebekah:

Just curious, is this the "flat" near your front entry vestibule? Or, is it a neighbor's property?

I am always interested. One just needs to find the right "reason" for "she who must be obeyed...";)

This is an idea we are kicking around -- there's a place for sale and we are considering saving one of the last adobes in town, but we don't really need two houses!
(and we would need a visionary architect, for starters.)
The Peaceable is NOT for rent, at least not yet!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was considering to try and rent a place for a month following my camino.

I found it difficult to assess whether I would be getting fair market value when I looked for a place on the internet. A lot of so called 'holiday rentals' seem quite steep in terms of the local economy ... albeit someone renting on the local economy would likely be staying longer than a month.

I ended up doing injury two days out from Fisterra and ended up going home when it was apparent a few days rest wasn't going to cut it.

I'm not sure if I would have been interested in being on the meseta ... it was mid december and I had in mind something warm and sunny like cabo del gatos.

Reb, a rapid, in the pub, survey provoked the following responses: Dave the bird-watcher would love to be on the meseta in migration season, the beloved wanted to know "how far from Leon"' the bar-flys focused on the word "bar" and then got excited about words like Bodega, Rioja and Navarra.

Tired old auditor me had the BBC thought "other holiday accommodation is available in Spain". My other thought was "a few months in Moratinos, now that could be fun". Maybe there is a corner of the market for Camino oriented / related accommodation. Maybe the meseta is an un-discovered magnet for birders.

What would I require? A kitchen I could cook in, not just reheat; enough local information / history to spark my curiosity, and a terrace with some shade. Oh, and a spare corkscrew 'cos someone always hides the other one.

This is something my family and I have discussed many, many times over the past couple of years. A reliable Internet connection within driving distance is what two of us would need for work, but other than that, we can usually figure it out.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What would you require?
I would welcome staying there to heal ! ;) Hubby and I got to stage 5 (Puerta la Reina) from sSt JPdP then I had retinal detachment and had to late night taxi back to Pamplona for emergency surgery... 3-4 wks to heal here, as gas bubble in me eye I can't elevate more than 300 ft. We are enjoying Pamlona! I believe I am blessed for being here with wonderful Dr and a very relaxing city to heal in. Of course wish we could do entire Cino, but very hopeful that we can bus to Sarria and continue to Samtiago... god willing.

I'm not sure if I would have been interested in being on the meseta ... it was mid december and I had in mind something warm and sunny like cabo del gatos.
Not warm and sunny perhaps, but the Meseta can be beautiful in December. Bright, crisp, frosty mornings, but with that special winter light and melancholic feel.

I would welcome staying there to heal ! ;) Hubby and I got to stage 5 (Puerta la Reina) from sSt JPdP then I had retinal detachment and had to late night taxi back to Pamplona for emergency surgery... 3-4 wks to heal here, as gas bubble in me eye I can't elevate more than 300 ft. We are enjoying Pamlona! I believe I am blessed for being here with wonderful Dr and a very relaxing city to heal in. Of course wish we could do entire Cino, but very hopeful that we can bus to Sarria and continue to Santiago... god willing.
Would require perhaps veggies/bread/fruit to prepare own meals :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Reb, if something happened on Camino and I needed a place to rest up then, yes, but only for a few nights. For anything longer I would not choose Moratinos - I'd want somewhere bigger, with a population of at least a couple of thousand.
As to whether you could make it work - it would depend on the marketing of it - with emphasis on the interest provided by a daily stream of walking pilgrims, local attractions (Roman ruins, bird watching, village life), driving distance from Sahagun and Leon, the interest and comfort of the house itself, a website with lots of photos, flyers distributed up and down the Camino, posters up on poles along the route, get some reviews up on Trip Advisor - all of which may not be up your alley. We have a few close friends who have holiday rentals - one with purpose build cabins in a spectacular mountain location, another a grand house they have been unable to sell, another a restored house in a Greek village. They all seem to have similar issues - the large amount of effort to market and keep the houses in tip top shape (including cleaning), and the rule of thumb that every now and again some visitors will trash the place.
I would not want to risk my life savings on it, but then I'm not entrepreneurial.

How many of you would realistically consider taking a short or long-term rental of such a place? What would you require?
I would probably consider a short term rental during the off-winter months. The fully equipped unit should have at least 1 bedroom with bathroom (hot water), a kitchen and washroom, sitting room, storage space and perhaps car parking. There must be an internet connection (or WiFi) and cable TV. Rates should be all included (water, electric, etc.).

On the Camino, I always looked for an albergue with private rooms. Often the extra rooms were in a house down the street. Maybe there is scope for you to set this up in Moratinos?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Besides this site my other favorite site is Airbnb ... Quite the range on Airbnb for short to long term rentals.
Not enough Airbnb locations along the Camino
Could be a terrific opportunity for a Camino "family" to relax and bond.

Just a thought.

Interesting Reb; our comments
Simple accommodation, a way to heat it when needed, shower and hot water, cooking facilities (not a microwave), washing machine and drying area, car space; anything else is an extra. Would there be bedding etc or would the occupants need to provide their own? Rental cost??
It sounds like a good idea, but needs to be true to Spain and its culture to fit in with the local environment and also to attract Spanish as well as non-Spanish custom.
Do keep us all posted. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
maybe it could be dedicated to pilgrims for certain periods of the year, then opened up to 'air b'nb', as suggested above, to keep some money coming in. people work in different ways but considering the seclusion it would make a nice artist/writer's retreat space... and i don't know how large it is, but it could be used as a meditation retreat space too. again - i don't know the space, but there are no wrong ideas when brainstorming... :) i'm going to school for massage therapy. one of my fantasies/goals is to be able to go back to the camino and be the receiver/nurturer as i've been received so well so many times. could it be used as that type of space...
it seems that once you have the space there would be a variety of interested parties, as i mentioned, not just peregrin@s
good luck

Hot water, Kitchen, queen bed, WiFi and if possible a nice book and maps outlining history and historic site within 50 km's.

Joe

Last edited:
This is an idea we are kicking around -- there's a place for sale and we are considering saving one of the last adobes in town, but we don't really need two houses!
(and we would need a visionary architect, for starters.)
The Peaceable is NOT for rent, at least not yet!

Thanks for the clarification. Got a street photo of the unrestored house? We all accept that it is a "before" photo.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If someone was thinking about opening an albergue, or moving to the Camino and inviting pilgrims as guests--this house could be a teaching tool for them for a while...? Learn the ropes from Rebecca (if she so desired)?

I would be willing to show people the ropes, but would not want to compete directly with the existing Albergue and hostal. Thanks to all of you for your input.
If I had to do it all again, I would finish architecture school and apprentice myself to a builder. And I would hit the lottery.

On the Camino, I always looked for an albergue with private rooms. Often the extra rooms were in a house down the street. Maybe there is scope for you to set this up in Moratinos?
I think this idea sounds do-able and sustainable although it would require daily maintenance. The Albergue Nuestra Señora del Pilar in Rabanal del Camino comes to mind where my friend had a reservation for a private room. When it came time for me to walk over from the municipal albergue and find her, the reception clerk/hospitalero at the Pilar sent me out the front gate and around the corner to a house that had 4 bedrooms with comfortably furnished common areas. She was able to wash and dry her laundry during her stay at the house. There was bicycle storage available at the Pilar for the bicigrinos.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
How many bedrooms?

The Albergue Nuestra Señora del Pilar in Rabanal del Camino comes to mind where my friend had a reservation for a private room. There was bicycle storage available at the Pilar for the bicigrinos.
I think it is for sale!!!

Don't torment. Is it really for rent. I would love to rent for 2-3 weeks. What area of the camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Not warm and sunny perhaps, but the Meseta can be beautiful in December. Bright, crisp, frosty mornings, but with that special winter light and melancholic feel.

Tyrrek, At first I thought you were speaking about a fine wine (bright crisp...a special winter light) then again, slapping my head...you were really calling to my favorite time of day when I have my first frosty cerveza in the morning. Add to that an adobe with patio...and I'm there.

...you were really calling to my favorite time of day when I have my first frosty cerveza in the morning. Add to that an adobe with patio...and I'm there.
Ha ha! Alas my days of morning (or indeed evening) cervezas are behind me unless they're 'sin alcohol'. I'm with you in spirit, though. :cool:

Reb, can we ask you to clarify the aim please. Is this to rent as a private accomodation (holiday let) or will there be an expectation that passing pilgrims get taken in (fed/given a bed).
A holiday let is so very distinct from using the let as hospitalero training because of the expectations of those passing through and the differing expectations of those holidaying in the let at another date.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would be willing to show people the ropes, but would not want to compete directly with the existing Albergue and hostal. Thanks to all of you for your input.
If I had to do it all again, I would finish architecture school and apprentice myself to a builder. And I would hit the lottery.

It is never too late to learn a new skill. You are very talented and would do well.

Perhaps you could specialize in restoration of old adobes. When, and if you ever have the need or inclination to repatriate, there are plenty in the American Southwest... Just sayin...

This would be a holiday let, a week at a time or so. My own house on the other end of town is still open for pilgrims who need a place to stay for just a night. It is not even bought or built yet, I am just sounding out the market, seeing if anyone is interested in such a thing. I cannot afford two houses unless I can make one of them pay for itself somehow.
I am gone out of the hospitalero training business. Lots of people want a little Camino Flutter a few months later, not enough take it seriously enough to really step up and serve. I won't waste my time and resources any more entertaining former pilgs with commitment issues.

I would probably consider a short term rental during the off-winter months. The fully equipped unit should have at least 1 bedroom with bathroom (hot water), a kitchen and washroom, sitting room, storage space and perhaps car parking. There must be an internet connection (or WiFi) and cable TV. Rates should be all included (water, electric, etc.).
I'd ditto all those except the TV. I felt liberated on the Camino without it. Possibly add a small freezer when there wasn't fresh produce aruond. As for the location, it works if you want solitude or need to "escape" the world but you can always escape to Leon or Burgos. Don't know what your ROI is though.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This would be a holiday let, a week at a time or so. My own house on the other end of town is still open for pilgrims who need a place to stay for just a night. It is not even bought or built yet, I am just sounding out the market[...]
18 years ago Annakappa and I researched the country we went to live in with a stringent set of requirements before we chose our location.:cool: We eventually bought and converted a charming, over 150-year old adobe and bahareque house.
Initially we had no intention to start operating a hospitality property, but the market potential was such that additionally we constructed and fully equipped a studio and an apartment for rent to tourists. Each unit is for max. 2 people and we require a minimum stay of 10 days. (we appreciate our free time too much:D)
We designed, built, decorated and furnished all buildings ourselves.The cost of bringing the original house in a liveable state (electric, sewage, plumbing, roof, walls, floors, doors, windows, fixtures, garden, etc.) was nearing the purchase price of the property.
Our circumstances are very different from the North of Spain. Property values and building costs are cheaper, and so are operating costs: no need for heating, (nor A/C by the way:)), lower taxes and rates (electric, water, municipal, etc.).

Our guest mix comes from Canada, USA, northern Europe and local businesses. We can operate year 'round because of a pleasant climate (1'100 meter above sea level). Temperatures range between 16 C. at night time and 29 C. during the day. We advertised a few years on VRBO and similar sites, but now our repeat business is 95% and our bed occupancy 80% and this article is not intended to be publicity (we like some breathing space when we go walking the Camino:rolleyes:)

Above mentioned factors, and probably some more, are essential before starting to think of a hospitality property in northern Spain. Even on a small scale, a professional business plan is essential. And remember Hilton's saying: "location, location, location";)

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back