• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Short Travel Story: The Botafumerio

Purple Backpack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF’12 VF’16 VP w/variants 2022/23 Norte’23
The iron shovel clanked against the stone floor as the scarlet robed tiraboleiro bent and filled it with chunks of ebony coal. Again and again, the shovel scraped until 40 kilograms of dark rock filled the silver thurible, or incense burner. Also known as a censer, the empty container was the size and weight of a small man curled into the fetal position. Filled with coal, it took eight of Santiago de Compostela’s strongest Spanish men gripping the knotted ends of heavy ropes to lift it.

The tiraboleiro reached into his black velvet bag and withdrew half a handful of resin pellets. Frankincense and myrrh, precious scents used to honor the magi’s gifts to baby Jesus, pinged as they fell between the coals. Frankincense, more valuable than even gold, offered a priceless gift for the newborn king. Myrrh, however, was used to embalm bodies and symbolically foretold the death of the Savior. Still used two thousand years later, the resin crackled as the tiraboleiro lit the spices with a candle flame. A low fire sizzled among the coals and the first heady scents enveloped the altar a few feet in front of me.

Burning embers gave off a warm, woody scent, though not nearly enough to cover the fetid odor of pilgrims gathered in the cathedral. The crowd had walked eight hundred kilometers over many weeks to pay homage to the bones of St. James, apostle of Jesus. They arrived in the cathedral sweaty and unkempt, trusting their souls would be cleansed by the grace of God, even if their bodies were not.

The priest finished the sacrament of communion, covered the ornate chalice with an embroidered cloth and deftly nodded at the men. In unison, the eight pulled the heavy ropes straight down to the stone and I could hear the rustle of their crimson cassocks mixed with the sharp inhale of their exertion. The censer dropped heavily and the tiraboleiro pulled in unison again. The dry, heavy rope squeaked as it ran through the pulley far above my head in the cathedral’s dome. The silver vessel plunged and then picked up momentum. As it fell, it looked as though the censer would strike the tiraboleiros and kill them. But they pulled in unison again and it swung faster and faster, building a steady rhythm. Suddenly, it took off on a trajectory of its own and swayed in an enormous arc. The whoosh of the breeze caressed my face as it swung and I heard snaps as oxygen fed the embers and flames exploded. Down, almost to the floor, until the eight pulled yet again at the last instant and rescued it from crashing to earth. Up it swung to the ceiling, roaring to life as the pellets caught fire and burst into billows of white smoke.

The Psalmist King David wrote “Let my prayer rise like incense.” I heard murmurs around me and, like David’s prayers, the pilgrims’ words co-mingled with the sweet smoke on their way to heaven. The frankincense and myrrh filled the vastness with a pungent, woody odor.

They say the censer flew out the highest window while Catherine of Aragon celebrated mass on her way to marry Henry VIII. I can imagine the shattering glass and screams of the congregation as the tiraboleiros fell to the floor, suddenly devoid of their earthly weight. I wonder if Catherine’s prayers also flew out the high window that day, an omen of her doomed marriage.

I like to think my own prayers rose on the momentum of the heavenward smoke, grateful for a little extra boost!

Attachments

• Travel- Botafumerio PDF.pdf
    54.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Don't forget the thunder of the mighty organ and the beautiful voice of the sister singing the Hymn to the Apostle! Unforgettable!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That's wonderful Purple Backpack, I really enjoyed reading it.
Thanks for sharing.
Terri

Pure theatre to witness this event but why did so many have to film it on their cell phones?

Don't forget the thunder of the mighty organ and the beautiful voice of the sister singing the Hymn to the Apostle! Unforgettable!

The Sister may deserve a story all of her own! There are very few times in life when people surprise me but the emotion from singing along with the Sister/congregation caught me off guard. There's so much emphasis on reaching the end of a pilgrimage that I was sure it would be anticlimactic.

I was wrong.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.