• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Short turnaround time in Bayonne

Pcoyne

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
my train ticket from Paris to SJPDP has an 11 minute connection time in Bayonne. Can anyone tell me if that is enough time to get off the TGV and catch the train to SJPDP?

Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
An 11-minute connection time leaves you with about 10 minutes to spare after switching trains. You will understand once you see the station. Moreover, the train to SJPP will not leave until the train from Paris has arrived. And I suspect the conductor would not leave for SJPP if they saw someone on the platform wearing a backpack.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
An 11-minute connection time leaves you with about 10 minutes to spare after switching trains. You will understand once you see the station. Moreover, the train to SJPP will not leave until the train from Paris has arrived. And I suspect the conductor would not leave for SJPP if they saw someone on the platform wearing a backpack.
Hola
I agree, except if the train from Paris is delayed for a longer time.
10 years ago I arrived late a Februar evening and took a taxi up to SJPDP.
Cost was around 100 Euro then and it was worth it for me as I meet some wonderful pilgrims that I walked the next two weeks with.
In front of the train station you may ask other pilgrims if they want to share a taxi in case you are delayed.

Everything flows
Flow with it.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Last edited:
Could not agree more. It is the transfer in Bordeaux that can turn into the nail biter

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
my train ticket from Paris to SJPDP has an 11 minute connection time in Bayonne. Can anyone tell me if that is enough time to get off the TGV and catch the train to SJPDP?
Pcoyne, unless you are on an incredibly tight regimented timeline there are no bad options here: Bayonne is an historic little French town - a nice place to stay the night. And then you'll be earlier to St Jean the next day, with more time to spend soaking up the excellent atmosphere there. So you can sit back in that Paris train and relax!

Thanks.
Well, it's a fairly small, unbusy station in Bayonne. The only danger is if there are track repairs between Bayonne and SJPDP, because if there are there will be a bus to replace the train. But you should be fine otherwise.

Thanks again. I’m sure it will work out fine. I’m pretty flexible although I do have a room reserved in St Jean that evening and I’d hate to forfeit that fee but I wouldn’t mind spending the night in Bayonne either.

Thanks again for the responses. This is a great forum.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The only danger is if there are track repairs between Bayonne and SJPDP, because if there are there will be a bus to replace the train.
I wouldn't call that a danger. If the track is under construction a bus will be provided to get you to SJPdP from Bayonne - you won't need to buy a bus ticket or do anything special.

In Europe - 10 minutes is usually sufficient to catch the next train in most stations. Smaller stations - 5 minutes is usually sufficient. The only time I would stress would be if I need to purchase another ticket while at the station. Then it depends on lines at the station kiosks or ticket desks.

Hola
I agree, except if the train from Paris is delayed for a longer time.
10 years ago I arrived late a Februar evening and took a taxi up to SJPDP.
Cost was around 100 Euro then and it was worth it for me as I meet some wonderful pilgrims that I walked the next two weeks with.
In front of the train station you may ask other pilgrims if they want to share a taxi in case you are delayed.

Everything flows
Flow with it.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo
If my flight arrives into Biarritz at 9pm could l still get a taxi to SJPP? Or would l need to wait to the following morning for the train?
Thanks
Chrissy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola

Look here:

rome2rio say it takes 48 min. and I am sure there will be taxis who can take you up to SJPDP.

The real question is if you have a place to stay once you get up there.

The albergues will most probably be closed at 22.00-22.30 but if you try to find a place, via booking.com for an example, you can make arrangements with the owner that you arrive late so you can make the arrangement.

Alternatively, you can stay in Biarritz over the night and go with public transportation the next day.

As you can see on the webpage, it takes some 3 hours so yuo probably wont be able to begin walking the next day, unless you have planned a stop between SJPDP and Roncesvalles?

Tell us what your plan is and we might be able to give you some advice or new ideas :)

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Last edited:
I wouldn't call that a danger. If the track is under construction a bus will be provided to get you to SJPdP from Bayonne - you won't need to buy a bus ticket or do anything special.
I cannot remember if the bus leaves from outside the train station, or from the bus station which is across the river. If it's the former, then definitely no problem.

I cannot remember if the bus leaves from outside the train station, or from the bus station which is across the river. If it's the former, then definitely no problem.
If it is a rail replacement bus run by SNCF then it leaves from just outside the railway station and stops at the minor railway stations along the route.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola

Look here:

rome2rio say it takes 48 min. and I am sure there will be taxis who can take you up to SJPDP.

The real question is if you have a place to stay once you get up there.

The albergues will most probably be closed at 22.00-22.30 but if you try to find a place, via booking.com for an example, you can make arrangements with the owner that you arrive late so you can make the arrangement.

Alternatively, you can stay in Biarritz over the night and go with public transportation the next day.

As you can see on the webpage, it takes some 3 hours so yuo probably wont be able to begin walking the next day, unless you have planned a stop between SJPDP and Roncesvalles?

Tell us what your plan is and we might be able to give you some advice or new ideas :)

Buen Camino
Lettinggo
Thank you so much
Seems like a taxi will work🤞

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back