• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shortcut after Villa France de Xira

jimb01930

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from Pamplona (Sept - Oct 2012)
Caminho Portugal from Lisbon (Aug-Sept 2013)
European Peace Walk - Vienna, AU to Trieste, IT (2014)
Via Fracigena - Sienna to Rome (2015)
. When leaving Villa Franca de Xira´s public gardens follow the arrows and takearight and then left.This will put youa road that eventually takes youto the highwayN-1.Here,s ashortcut a local showed us that cuts out acoupleof kilometers and keeps youoff that highway.Just before youget to the highwayyouwill go over asmall bridge and seea dirt road on the right with a sign in Portuguese saying residents only. Theonly residents on this road is ahouse that is gone .Takethedirt road. When theroad comes to aspot where to go straight means going into an overgrown area takealeft and carefully cross the train tracks. Take aimmediateright and follow this newly paved road that runs beside the train tracks until Camino joins it about three miles on.It is not a prettywalk but better than thehighway. If you feel anyguilt about taking the train to Alhandra this walk is ugly enough that youwill feel as if you have done proper penance.

http://www.squamzen.com/

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yesterday I talked with José, from Via Lusitana and he was talking about that exact thing. The problem right now is that the land owner doesn't want to give access for the terrain, because he is afraid that people go there with trail bicycles, cross motorbikes and all terrain vehicles. And there’s a way that you don't need to cross the train track ;)

It's a good shortcut that will make you go out from the tarmac, and make you into gravel and some dirt, but with heat could be very difficult, because you have no support nearby (if you go throughout the regular Camiño, you will find some Convenience Store at a gas station, restaurants and supermarkets). But be aware of the land owner, it's not the first time that he causes problems to people who are passing nearby.

Best Regards
Diogo

jimb01930, I think that I saw you, when I caught the train to Lisboa, you where in the river boardwalk. I recognised the lady from your photos (which I assume that is your wife) ;)

Best Regards
Diogo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back