• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

shorter stages from Lisbon

Esther Perkins

Time of past OR future Camino
My husband and I are planning our Camino in early June. We are hoping to walk on to Finisterre if time allows
Hi all I was trying to find and download the pdf of the shorter stages out of Lisbon. Also would like to know of any pack transport avsilable.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are some options.
You can read back on this forum till somewhere in july 2014 where our forummember Amorfati1 aswell as myself posted our experiences.

You can read back to posts of forummember and hostalowner Santarem hostal .
Mario created a network of albergues on the Lisbon to Porto leg together with some other cooperative hostal owners with pick up service.

You can have a look on the maps of the John Brierley guide and you'll see that there are railwaystations on the longer trails after about 10 kms at certain long day hikes. So you could take the train or sometimes a bus or taxi and reduce a daily walk till about 20 km if that is your goal.

about your question of pack transport. They only offer packtransport on thePorto to Santiago leg.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Esther. I posted a link to this document written by forum member Laurie Reynolds on the resources section of my blog, http://magwood.me/camino-resources/ but you could also find it by searching this forum. I used the 'pick and drop' service on one stage which was very welcome on a scorching hot day.

I also posted to my blog each day live from the CP starting in Lisbon. You might find some helpful information about accommodation. There are also links to other blogs on my resources page.

Bom caminho!

Hi Esther!
My Lisbon to Porto and Porto to SdC camino diaries can be downloaded from my web site.
Make sure you aim to stay a night with Mario the hospitalero in Santarem.
If you find some stages slightly long, DO NOT feel that taking a short bus or taxi ride is "cheating". In medieval times, can you imagine a pilgrim being passed by a farmer with a horse and cart and declining a lift?!?
Relax ... enjoy your camino ... and it will be totally memorable :)

Hi Esther!
My Lisbon to Porto and Porto to SdC camino diaries can be downloaded from my web site.
Make sure you aim to stay a night with Mario the hospitalero in Santarem.
If you find some stages slightly long, DO NOT feel that taking a short bus or taxi ride is "cheating". In medieval times, can you imagine a pilgrim being passed by a farmer with a horse and cart and declining a lift?!?
Relax ... enjoy your camino ... and it will be totally memorable :)
Did you walk your caminho in medieval times Stephen ?:p
Xacobeo Matamoros ( what an actual name these times!) is watching you but I presume sometimes he does "forty winks" and in the meantime you take the train or bus :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Esther. I posted a link to this document written by forum member Laurie Reynolds on the resources section of my blog, http://magwood.me/camino-resources/ but you could also find it by searching this forum. I used the 'pick and drop' service on one stage which was very welcome on a scorching hot day.

I also posted to my blog each day live from the CP starting in Lisbon. You might find some helpful information about accommodation. There are also links to other blogs on my resources page.

Bom caminho!

Esther, On Maggie's blog you can see the full stages Maggie walked Great blog well documented but I think you meant that you like to walk shorter stages per day f.ex. 20 kms a day .
Than you have to find alternatives f.ex taking public transport.
Or find places to stay somewhere in between if possible.
There changed a lot since we walked in 2013. As being said also by my good friend Stephen Nicolls and myself , ask Mario of the Santarèm hostal because he has a well organised solution. Eventually send Mario a pm and ask for it. I can imagine you have to make a plan on beforehand how long your caminho will take.
We pensionado's did not bother. We had an open flight ticket so if the caminho should last one or two months did not matter.

Hi, Esther,
The direct link to the document in the resources section of the forum is here:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/short-stages-from-lisbon-to-porto.133/

I would contact Mario in Santarem Hostel (Santaremhostel@sapo.pt) to find out about pack transport options in the southern part of this caminho. I know that there is a group of hostel owners between Lisbon and Porto who work together to coordinate pick up and drop off, and I don't know about pack transport. Mario speaks excellent English and is very helpful.

And if you or anyone else uses the document, updates are most appreciated! Otherwise the document falls quickly out of date. Thanks, bom caminho, Laurie

Did you walk your caminho in medieval times Stephen ?:p
Xacobeo Matamoros ( what an actual name these times!) is watching you but I presume sometimes he does "forty winks" and in the meantime you take the train or bus :D
..... or thumb a lift .... or take a camel .... or even a taxi :)
As you know, Albertinho, I walked the Portuguese in the year 947 .... you must remember - we met up for a mulled mead!
So sorry our paths won't cross this year, as I'm only walking to Logrono.
Buen camino, amigo y gracias por amistad.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
..... or thumb a lift .... or take a camel .... or even a taxi :)
As you know, Albertinho, I walked the Portuguese in the year 947 .... you must remember - we met up for a mulled mead!
So sorry our paths won't cross this year, as I'm only walking to Logrono.
Buen camino, amigo y gracias por amistad.

947. That it's a great harvest of wine :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back