• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shorter stages on Sanabres

jimmyc

Time of past OR future Camino
Can anyone tell me if they have a list of shorter stages on this route. The only one I can find has 13 day stages with some up to 40 kms.
I am 79 years old, and although very fit I dont think I could do those long days. I am quite happy to stay in pensions, casa rurals or even hotels if albergues are not available. Around 20kms a day is my ideal walk.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi @jimmyc - how about the following? It targets 16 km - 20 km per day and you'd be able to stay in albergues at all overnighting locations. It has you starting in Zamora but you could also start at Granja de Moreruela of course. There are a couple of days at 26 km, both of which could be split into two shorter days if desired. Overall, it would be a 20 day itinerary.

From Zamora
to Montamarta (Zamora - Montamarta) (19.3 km / 12.0 mi)
Stage 01 (19.3 km / 12.0 mi)

to Fontanillas de Castro (Montamarta - Fontanillas de Castro) (11.9 km / 7.4 mi)
to Riego del Camino (Fontanillas de Castro - Riego del Camino) (3.7 km / 2.3 mi)
to Granja de Moreruela (Riego del Camino - Granja de Moreruela) (6.5 km / 4.0 mi)
Stage 02 (22.2 km / 13.8 mi)

to Tábara (Granja de Moreruela - Tábara) (24.9 km / 15.5 mi)
Stage 03 (24.9 km / 15.5 mi)

to Santa Marta de Tera (Tábara - Santa Marta de Tera) (22.6 km / 14.0 mi)
Stage 04 (22.6 km / 14.0 mi)

to Calzadilla de Tera (Santa Marta de Tera - Calzadilla de Tera) (10.9 km / 6.8 mi)
to Olleros de Tera (Calzadilla de Tera - Olleros de Tera) (2.0 km / 1.3 mi)
to Villar de Farfón (Olleros de Tera - Villar de Farfón) (7.7 km / 4.8 mi)
Stage 05 (20.6 km / 12.8 mi)

to Rionegro del Puente (Villar de Farfón - Rionegro del Puente) (6.0 km / 3.7 mi)
to Mombuey (Rionegro del Puente - Mombuey) (9.3 km / 5.8 mi)
Stage 06 (15.3 km / 9.5 mi)

to Asturianos (Mombuey - Asturianos) (16.5 km / 10.2 mi)
Stage 07 (16.5 km / 10.2 mi)

to Puebla de Sanabria (Asturianos - Puebla de Sanabria) (14.3 km / 8.9 mi)
to Requejo de Sanabria (Puebla de Sanabria - Requejo de Sanabria) (12.1 km / 7.5 mi)
Stage 08 (26.4 km / 16.4 mi)

to Lubián (Requejo de Sanabria - Lubián) (16.0 km / 9.9 mi)
Stage 09 (16.0 km / 9.9 mi)

to A Gudiña (Lubián - A Gudiña) (24.0 km / 14.9 mi)
Stage 10 (24.0 km / 14.9 mi)

to Campobecerros (A Gudiña - Campobecerros) (20.1 km / 12.5 mi)
Stage 11 (20.1 km / 12.5 mi)

to Laza (Campobecerros - Laza) (14.6 km / 9.0 mi)
to A Albergueria (Laza - A Albergueria) (11.8 km / 7.3 mi)
Stage 12 (26.4 km / 16.4 mi)

to Vilar de Barrio (A Albergueria - Vilar de Barrio) (7.3 km / 4.5 mi)
to Xunqueira de Ambia (Vilar de Barrio - Xunqueira de Ambia) (13.4 km / 8.4 mi)
Stage 13 (20.8 km / 12.9 mi)

to Ourense (Xunqueira de Ambía - Ourense) (22.2 km / 13.8 mi)
Stage 14 (22.2 km / 13.8 mi)

to Cea (Ourense - Cea (via Viduedo)) (22.0 km / 13.7 mi)
Stage 15 (22.0 km / 13.7 mi)

to Oseira (Cea - Oseira) (8.8 km / 5.5 mi)
to Castro Dozón (Oseira - Castro Dozón) (10.5 km / 6.5 mi)
Stage 16 (19.3 km / 12.0 mi)

to Laxe (Castro Dozón - Laxe) (18.4 km / 11.4 mi)
Stage 17 (18.4 km / 11.4 mi)

to Trasfontao (Laxe - Trasfontao) (7.5 km / 4.7 mi)
to Silleda (Trasfontao - Silleda) (2.0 km / 1.3 mi)
to Bandeira (Silleda - Bandeira) (7.1 km / 4.4 mi)
Stage 18 (16.6 km / 10.3 mi)

to Dornelas (Bandeira - Dornelas) (4.7 km / 2.9 mi)
to Ponte Ulla (Dornelas - Ponte Ulla) (8.1 km / 5.0 mi)
to Outeiro (Ponte Ulla - Outeiro) (4.3 km / 2.6 mi)
Stage 19 (17.0 km / 10.6 mi)

to Santiago de Compostela (Outeiro - Santiago) (16.6 km / 10.3 mi)
Stage 20 (16.6 km / 10.3 mi)

Total: 407.2 km / 253.0 mi

Good luck with your planning.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
thanks @stratophile , your plan more or less mirrors my own trip from Zamora to Santiago via Sanabres this September. Having had some really hot walking days last year of more than 25K, I have decided to split days so I am taking 19 days to walk but a tourist day at Ourense.

The plan from @stratophile gets my thumbs up - not just for the distances but for stopping in some of the best places (Tabara, Albergueria, etc.). Here are a few tweaks that reflect my preferences. They might not suit everyone:

Day 5 - If you can handle another 6km, you could enjoy dinner at Me Gusta Comer in Rionegro rather than staying in Villar de Farfón. (For me, the choice is easy).

Day 17 - Check the latest reports about the albergue at Laxe. Apparently its due for some improvements (a huge budget has been allocated, so it should be transformed) . As an alternative, there's a super albergue with the friendliest owner in central Lalin. (Lalin is a 4km detour off the Sanabres - Next day you can follow the Camino Invierno, which merges with the Sanabres at Laxe).

Day 18 - Rather than staying at a hotel in Bandeira, I recommend continuing to Dornelas to enjoy the hospitality of the Italian couple who run the albergue there.

Day 19 - Outeiro is great if you like to be surrounded by nature (buy food in Ponte Ulla). If you prefer to dine out, stop in Ponte Ulla. If have energy in your legs, press on to Deseiro Sergude for a super new albergue with a bar-pulpeira next door and a sprint finish to Santiago next day.

Can anyone tell me if they have a list of shorter stages on this route. The only one I can find has 13 day stages with some up to 40 kms.
I am 79 years old, and although very fit I dont think I could do those long days. I am quite happy to stay in pensions, casa rurals or even hotels if albergues are not available. Around 20kms a day is my ideal walk.
Hi, @jimmyc ,

There is no such thing as "stages" because you set your own stages according to availability of albergues (or other accommodation), weather, terrain, what you want to see/experience, whether you feel a bit lazy on a certain day etc.
Above posts give you pretty good picture. You can also take a peek in here (scroll down to Zamora or/and "Por Sanabria"):

I would definitely second @Raggy about Me Gusta Comer in Rionegro del Puente. It's an experience you don't want to miss even if you are not a foody!!!

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Many thanks Stratophile and all of the other contributors. This information is exactly what I was looking for.

... If have energy in your legs, press on to Deseiro Sergude for a super new albergue with a bar-pulpeira next door and a sprint finish to Santiago next day.
Definitely stop in Sergude at that bar/albergue on the main road. It's just some 200 meters from Camino maybe and you can see it. Each year I stopped there the senora remembered me and I got free pulpo.
And last year she even admited that it was my suggestion (from two years before) that they installed USB sockets in dormitories for charging phone batteries. I guess I must be very important person there, hahaha ;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Another fan of Rionegro and Téo's cooking at Me Gusta Comer. I would stay in Dornelas as well. It is one of the prettiest wee towns in that part of the Sanabres and while I was on the Invierno last month we stopped there for morning tea. Nice wee bar, clean, friendly people and prices are reasonable. Take a peek at my
Camino Mixto thread on the Invierno forum as this overlaps with the Sanabres.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back