• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shorter Stages on the Portuguese

Sharonih

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (SJPdP to Santiago) March 15, 2018
For my second Camino I would like to do the Portuguese but in about 15km stages. I know I am capable of doing the longer stages but I want to do this one slower and explore the area more. Is this doable or would I have to continually backtrack by cab or bus?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would like to do the Portuguese but in about 15km stages.

If you look at Wise Pilgrim’s guide, you will see clear listings of where the lodging is. I haven’t done a deep dive, but it looks like there is plenty of accommodation from Porto onwards. Am I right that you are walking from Porto? I’ve linked to Wise Pilgrim’s coastal guide, but he has others as well.

Gronze.com also has good info. It’s in Spanish but very easy to understand.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m on the CP coastal now, and as others have said, short stages will be possible.

One thing to keep in mind is that some towns have a completely different vibe from others. For example, Matosinhos, Povoa de Varzim and Vila Praia de Âncora are very touristy beach towns which I personally dislike and wouldn’t want to stay in - but maybe you would like to stay in these places if that’s your thing. Towns like Vila do Conde, Esposende and Caminha are more traditional towns with a historic centre, which is more to my liking. If you do shorter stages you may end up in a combination of these towns, which might feel a bit disjointed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For my second Camino I would like to do the Portuguese but in about 15km stages. I know I am capable of doing the longer stages but I want to do this one slower and explore the area more. Is this doable or would I have to continually backtrack by cab or bus?
Jungleboy raises a good point above. One strategy you might consider is first picking out the towns along the way that you consider desirable stops and then use Godesalco to get your daily distances between them as close to 15 km as possible. I would agree with his choices, by the way, but would take a look at Viana do Costello as well. On the Spanish side of the river, I like A Guarda, Oia, Baiona, Pontevedra and Padrón.

I’m on the CP coastal now, and as others have said, short stages will be possible.

One thing to keep in mind is that some towns have a completely different vibe from others. For example, Matosinhos, Povoa de Varzim and Vila Praia de Âncora are very touristy beach towns which I personally dislike and wouldn’t want to stay in - but maybe you would like to stay in these places if that’s your thing. Towns like Vila do Conde, Esposende and Caminha are more traditional towns with a historic centre, which is more to my liking. If you do shorter stages you may end up in a combination of these towns, which might feel a bit disjointed.
Thank you, as I live by the ocean I don’t have to stay there but I do love the historical aspect of Europe especially as the City I live in is only 80 years old. These town names are really helpful. Buen Camino

Jungleboy raises a good point above. One strategy you might consider is first picking out the towns along the way that you consider desirable stops and then use Godesalco to get your daily distances between them as close to 15 km as possible. I would agree with his choices, by the way, but would take a look at Viana do Costello as well. On the Spanish side of the river, I like A Guarda, Oia, Baiona, Pontevedra and Padrón.
Thank you, you all are so kind and helpful.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you, as I live by the ocean I don’t have to stay there but I do love the historical aspect of Europe especially as the City I live in is only 80 years old. These town names are really helpful. Buen Camino
In that case, have you considered the central route from Porto instead of the coastal route? The central contains more historic towns while the coastal / Senda Litoral is more geared towards those who want to see a lot of the ocean.

Hi. The Coastal
Hi. Its definitely doable and the coastal seems to have a good selection of Albergues/ hostels etc. If you check out the Portuguese Camino on Gronze.com they list all accommodations/ prices and distances etc. Although I did longer stages than what you have proposed I did have plenty of time to explore areas and go off grid visiting waterfalls etc. For example when on the way to Caldas de Reis there is a National park(off Camino)with the most beautiful waterfalls where I spent my lunchtime and then outside Caldas de rei there are other falls equally magnificent. Fortunately I very seldom commit myself to specific towns/ accommodations therefore my Journey is always my own so I hope you find this to be your experience too. Daniel

1661781556256.png

This is our plan for October starting from Tui/Valenca. Our first Camino so open to ideas.
We too would have like shorter stages but I have not found suitable accommodation between Tui and O Porinho and Pontevedra and Caldas de Reis.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you look at Wise Pilgrim’s guide, you will see clear listings of where the lodging is. I haven’t done a deep dive, but it looks like there is plenty of accommodation from Porto onwards. Am I right that you are walking from Porto? I’ve linked to Wise Pilgrim’s coastal guide, but he has others as well.

Gronze.com also has good info. It’s in Spanish but very easy to understand.
You can have an English translation with Google Chrome. I am planning to walk it in shorter stages for the same reasons. It is easy to do.

View attachment 131791

This is our plan for October starting from Tui/Valenca. Our first Camino so open to ideas.
We too would have like shorter stages but I have not found suitable accommodation between Tui and O Porinho and Pontevedra and Caldas de Reis.
Hi. Lots of accommodation between Pontevedra and Caldas De Reis. Check out Camino Portuguese Gronze for an extensive list of accommodations. If you click on each stage they show the list of hostels/ hotels etc for each town of each stage. Daniel

I like to walk about 20km a day due to knee issues. Did the Frances this year and looking to the Portuguese in 2024 so this is a great post for me to follow. Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thanks - - it's incomplete, but then so is this one :

Combining the two seems like a good idea, and I am reaching the point on my own Camino where the Wise Pilgrim one will start to be useful.

Walked Central, Porto to Santiago in May. I prefer shorter distances also and found plenty of lodging. I used Camino Ninja app, another walking mate used Gronze and Wise. I like Ninja's flexibility to select distances, see elevations, village amenities, and accommodations. Personally, I liked until I was ready to stop or found something of interest, ie Roman bridges are great for contemplating. Unless you have a time restriction, embrace the journey, the Camino will provide. Bom Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plenty of places to stay, both expensive and budget all depedning on the season you are walking.
I use Booking.com to find accommodations and found numerous affordable options on the coastal route. Off-season you can get real deals and great hospitality in the seaside towns

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

We loved Vila Praia de Ãncora- away from the beachfront there is Quinta da Quinhas, a farm, albergue, and co-working space that was our favorite on the Camino. Also Mt. Calvario has amazing views (but a lot of steps.) we visited in September & October so did not see a lot of tourists.

Hi Jungleboy, i want to get the subway from Porto to Matosinhos but what is the best station to get off the train for the Camino Portuguese, Many thanks, Brentchase Mike

Hi Jungleboy, i want to get the subway from Porto to Matosinhos but what is the best station to get off the train for the Camino Portuguese, Many thanks, Brentchase Mike
Assuming you don't want to visit Matasinhos, Mercado is the best station (the second last stop on the blue / A line). From there you can cross the bridge and be on your way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We loved Vila Praia de Ãncora- away from the beachfront there is Quinta da Quinhas, a farm, albergue, and co-working space that was our favorite on the Camino. Also Mt. Calvario has amazing views (but a lot of steps.) we visited in September & October so did not see a lot of tourists.
That's good to know. I only saw the beachfront part while passing through on the camino and that part didn't interest me.

We did Caminho Português (Porto-Caminha, litoral) in June in 15ish km segments... Max day was 20km from Aguçadoura to Esposende. (Private accommodations all via booking.com so no early in/out constraints.) It was fabulous: plenty of time to stop at historical sites, enjoy typical two hour Minho lunches, chat with other pilgrims and wander ancient stone villages at night. Our stops: Porto, Perafita, Vila do Conde, Aguçadoura, Esposende, Castelo de Neiva, Viana do Castelo, Afife ❤️, Caminha. Bom caminho!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back