• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shorter Stages on VdlP - Can't find the Thread

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
The VdlP will hopefully be my next Camino, but due to Chronic tendon/knee issues I know that stages beyond 25 kms will just create the need for an additional rest day :oops: .

I'm sure that someone posted some suggested VdlP stages for those unable to manage the longer distances.
I've been searching for it to no avail.
Anyone know where it is?

@Sara_Dhooma I've found your video series really great to help with planning. Thank You.
But I've got as far as Galisteo, and it's looking tricky to break down the next stages logically.

Of course I realise that the plan will go 'out the window' once underway, but it's useful to at least have a plan for breaking up those longer stretches.

Appreciate any shorter stage listings that might help :)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The VdlP will hopefully be my next Camino, but due to Chronic tendon/knee issues I know that stages beyond 25 kms will just create the need for an additional rest day :oops: .

I'm sure that someone posted some suggested VdlP stages for those unable to manage the longer distances.
Anyone know where it is?

@Sara_Dhooma I've found your video series really great to help with planning. Thank You.
But I've got as far as Galisteo, and it's looking tricky to break down the next stages logically.

Of course I realise that the plan will go 'out the window' once underway, but it's useful to at least have a plan for breaking up those longer stretches.

The Buen Camino app has a very good stage planner that you can play around with.

Here's a very detailed planning thread, led by @AJGuillaume, who rigorously selected options for short days.

I'm attaching my spreadsheet showing distances between accommodation for the VDLP to Astorga. It should be easy to create your own combinations. I've noted some possible solutions for several of the longer stages. I have this in an Excel spreadsheet, as well, and also one for the Sanabres portion, if you want them.

If you'd like to start a new thread asking for stage by stage help, I'm certain you will find several members who are happy to "walk" through it with you! Or just post your problem days here!

Attachments

• VDLP itinerary - C Clearly 2021-01-10.pdf
    149.6 KB · Views: 98
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here's a very detailed planning thread, led by @AJGuillaume, who rigorously selected options for short days.

I'm attaching my spreadsheet showing distances between accommodation for the VDLP to Astorga. It should be easy to create your own combinations. I've noted some possible solutions for several of the longer stages. I have this in an Excel spreadsheet, as well, and also one for the Sanabres portion, if you want them.

If you'd like to start a new thread asking for stage by stage help, I'm certain you will find several members who are happy to "walk" through it with you! Or just post your problem days here!

This is perfect, many thanks.

The Buen Camino app has a very good stage planner that you can play around with.

I'll check it out! :)

I have the Wise Pilgrim guide, but sadly the maps are double dutch to me.
Sorry @wisepilgrim . Weird scales up the side and text is too small to read. :(
IMHO I'm not sure trying to make the maps to scale really works or is required.
I'll wash my mouth out with soap, but I love the Brierly maps for their simplicity and ease of reading.

Anyone know where it is?

I recall a thread on this topic too. At the time, I took a screenshot so I could refer to it when needed. I've just looked back & found it was @peregrina2000; the thread was actually 'short stages (under 20km) on the Mozárabe'...not the VdlP...but it still may be useful to you @Robo.
Happy planning!
👣 🌏

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I recall a thread on this topic too. At the time, I took a screenshot so I could refer to it when needed. I've just looked back & found it was @peregrina2000; the thread was actually 'short stages (under 20km) on the Mozárabe'...not the VdlP...but it still may be useful to you @Robo.
Happy planning!
👣 🌏

Thanks. That might be the one I was thinking of!

I probably have no place chiming in here, as my familiarity with the Plata has only been by bike. But I’m sure people will bring up the Castlblanco - Almaden stage as being a killer, and I would say that the taxi (mentioned on @C clearly ’s excellent spreadsheet) is essential. It cuts out the long bitumen section to the park gate, and the remaining walk is beautiful.
Your bigger problem might be that some of the intermediate albergues may no longer exist, post COVID, which is going to make your planning problematic.

This thread might be the one that you're thinking of @Robo -

Of course, the topic of shorter stages on the VDLP gets discussed quite often, so you'll see other threads, but that one links to some valuable resources and a fair bit of discussion.

As Paul said, things may look quite different when we emerge from the pandemic. The albergue in Zafra has been appealing for support to keep going, and the parochial albergue in Fuenterroble was in need of help a while back. Tough days on the VDLP.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
This thread might be the one that you're thinking of @Robo -

Of course, the topic of shorter stages on the VDLP gets discussed quite often, so you'll see other threads, but that one links to some valuable resources and a fair bit of discussion.

As Paul said, things may look quite different when we emerge from the pandemic. The albergue in Zafra has been appealing for support to keep going, and the parochial albergue in Fuenterroble was in need of help a while back. Tough days on the VDLP.

Really? Sadly there are only two VdlP Albergues listed under the businesses needing help.
And Zafra is not one of them :(

Robo, I managed to do the VdlP in stages between always under 30km, and usually less than 25km. I took the Sanabrés option. I used Godesalco to plan, but of course that went out the door when I got there. There was one stage where I got a bus, and another where I caught a taxi. Can't remember exactly now, I'd have to go back to my photos to work it out. But it was not difficult to keep the km down.

So much may have changed due to businesses closing down that any "before" information may not be relevant. :confused:

Robo, I managed to do the VdlP in stages between always under 30km, and usually less than 25km. I took the Sanabrés option. I used Godesalco to plan, but of course that went out the door when I got there. There was one stage where I got a bus, and another where I caught a taxi. Can't remember exactly now, I'd have to go back to my photos to work it out. But it was not difficult to keep the km down.

So much may have changed due to businesses closing down that any "before" information may not be relevant. :confused:

Yes, sad but true @Kanga. There may be much fewer accommodation options.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Really? Sadly there are only two VdlP Albergues listed under the businesses needing help.
And Zafra is not one of them :(
I should have let a moderator know - Albergue Vincent Van Gogh:

Can you get it added to the list of albergues needing help? Or should I contact Ivan?

I always tinker around with stages before I do a camino. I never even take the stage planners with me, but is just fun. But given post covid walking a doing the VDLP I am probably taking the one I worked up. Lo and behold it is basically the same one as this one that you posted. Thanks to you and AJ. I have saved this download and will probably take @AJGuillaume instead of mine. It is much cleaner and easier to read. I did include albergues but who knows if he ones I choose will still be there. We can only hope.

Last edited:
I should have let a moderator know - Albergue Vincent Van Gogh:

Can you get it added to the list of albergues needing help? Or should I contact Ivan?

You can add the information here:

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Sadly I really need to keep under 25 kms.
I was going back over my previous Caminos.
The 'actual' rather than planned stages that I walked.

Those days over 25 kms led to compounding existing injury, and 30 kms+ required a rest day.
So 20-25 kms looks like my 'sweet spot'.
A few rest days, and some 'shorter days' too.

I put a rough plan together last night.
Then went back through it to cut down the longer days and added in 3 rest days.

I got my average stage to about 19 kms ;)

Not easy on the VdlP, as it seems to require some very short days, to break up the longer sections.
But fun to plan.

I used Gronze to look at the stages and distances, as well as accomodation options.

Whilst I plan to use Albergues a lot this time............
I did notice some amazing Paradors too :rolleyes:

I have just completed a quick and dirty plan for the VDLP. looks like my longest day is 27km which is in the 2nd week. I am not on a timeframe I do plan for 43 days with an average of only 23km a day.

I have just completed a quick and dirty plan for the VDLP. looks like my longest day is 27km which is in the 2nd week. I am not on a timeframe I do plan for 43 days with an average of only 23km a day.

I'm allowing 55 days :oops:

Guess I don't like to rush :rolleyes:

I'll take 3 or 4 rest days in the larger towns to look around a bit.

And I'd rather do more days, that might be a bit short, than longer days that could impact my ability to finish.

Of course once I get going.......who knows.
Particularly if I'm about 25 kgs (55 lbs) lighter than my previous Caminos!
(13 kgs down so far)

I might even cope with longer stages :cool:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That was my first draft, I never set a time limited, it is what it is, and the VDLP has a lot to see. I normally walk until I feel like a rest. On the CF my shortest day was 8km and the longest was 36kms, I averaged 24km with 1 rest day. I expect that the VDLP will be much the same. I do intend to take the first 14 days to be a an easy pace with not too many long days. Starting to walk at first light and walk til I feel like a stop. I will take more rest days, so that would push my days out to 46/47 maybe. I was hoping for a spring start, which looks more unlikely, so it will be late Aug early Sept, depending on Covid restrictions.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Whilst I plan to use Albergues a lot this time............
I did notice some amazing Paradors too

There is a parador in Mérida, but there is also a very posh hotel right on the main square, which had an amazing last minute rate when I walked into Mérida in 2019. Since I have been a tourist in Mérida on many occasions, and since I had walked a pretty long day on the last stage of the Mózarabe, I really was able to take advantage of the luxurious bathroom and the comfy bed without feeling the urge to go explore.

The parador in Cáceres, IMO, is fabulous and as a walker you won't feel the frustration that I have had trying to drive to their parking. Zamora is another one, which I am assumig you've also seen. Yes, this is agreat route for those occasional splurges.

There is a parador in Mérida, but there is also a very posh hotel right on the main square, which had an amazing last minute rate when I walked into Mérida in 2019. Since I have been a tourist in Mérida on many occasions, and since I had walked a pretty long day on the last stage of the Mózarabe, I really was able to take advantage of the luxurious bathroom and the comfy bed without feeling the urge to go explore.

The parador in Cáceres, IMO, is fabulous and as a walker you won't feel the frustration that I have had trying to drive to their parking. Zamora is another one, which I am assumig you've also seen. Yes, this is agreat route for those occasional splurges.
Nice to have a splurge now and again...

Though I see the Parador in Salamanca looks like one of the modern ones. :rolleyes:
Won't be bothering with that one......

If you do want to stay in the heart of Salamanca right on the Plaza Mayor, check out the Pensión Los Angeles Plaza. Although it was a two story walk up to the pensión, the front desk guys there were most helpful and I was upgraded to a room with a view of the Plaza. Would have liked to have spent more time there. Definitely a place for a rest day!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh Dear........my planning gets carried away a bit.
Decisions, decisions

I just made a 2nd version of some potential stages.

This time taking the VdlP up to Astorga, then along to Ponferrada to finish along the Invierno.

I love the mountain section over the Cruz de Ferro. Would be nice to see that again.
Plus it adds another new Camino for me.

It only seems to add another 30 kms or so, so no extra days overall.

But.......

Will I regret missing the Sanabres? :rolleyes:

Will I regret missing the Sanabres?
The Invierno is much loved and less frequented than the Sanabres, so I don't think you'll regret that. What you'll miss - The historic town center of Puebla de Sanabria, the hot springs in Ourense, a slap up meal in Rionegro del Puente, some splendid landscapes on the way to Tabara, at A Canda, and around A Gudina... mind you, the Invierno takes you through some great landscapes too.

I think the most likely "regret" if you take the route through Astorga and on the Invierno might be the section from Granja de la Moreruela to Astorga. From reading other threads, I get the impression that it is unfrequented (which would not bother me) and takes you through some depopulated villages with few facilities.

You can read to get a flavor of the Sanabres route from the virtual VDLP thread. There is an ongoing "virtual" Camino de Invierno thread that will soon allow you to compare the routes. The part of the VDLP from Granja to Astorga is unlikely to get the "virtual" treatment, but there are some threads where people have posted their impressions of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will I regret missing the Sanabres?
This is one of those questions that provokes an immediate and definitive reaction — YES. The Sanabrés is a five star camino. Take a look at this most recent “deep dive” planning thread.

Oooohhhhh, but you are talking about going to the Invierno. If it were a choice between Francés or Sanabrés, it’s an easy choice, especially for a Francés veteran. But if it’s a choice betwen Sanabrés or Invierno, I am hard pressed to voice a preference. But I think I would go for Invierno.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is one of those questions that provokes an immediate and definitive reaction — YES. The Sanabrés is a five star camino. Take a look at this most recent “deep dive” planning thread.

Oooohhhhh, but you are talking about going to the Invierno. If it were a choice between Francés or Sanabrés, it’s an easy choice, especially for a Francés veteran. But if it’s a choice betwen Sanabrés or Invierno, I am hard pressed to voice a preference. But I think I would go for Invierno.
How about alternating between the two? I walked the Invierno to complete my Madrid-Frances-Invierno camino in 2019 and I haven't walked the Sanabres since 2017, to complete the VdlP. So this fall I plan to walk the Levante, going north from Zamora to join up with the Sanabres and on to Santiago.
As to where to stay in Seville, I began the VdlP at Hotel Simon, between the Cathedral and the route out of Seville on the VdlP. It is an historic hotel and was popular with pilgrims, with reasonable pilgrim rates and an unbeatable location. I even bought my credencials there (I needed two for that route).

I might be the only person reading this thread who has walked from Granja to Astorga! I did it in April 2017 because I wanted to walk only 4 weeks - I finished in Astorga. I saved the Sanabres for later - it will likely be my next Camino.

And no, I do not regret it at all! I thoroughly enjoyed it, and liked feeling like an adventurer out on my own with no other pilgrims. You can see some posts in my blog. There is one stage that might be tricky - it seems that the albergue in Alija del Infantado has closed and there doesn't seem to be any other accommodation between Benavente and La Bañeza (42 km), except a holiday house in Alija that I just found on Booking.com. There is a bus or you could get a taxi from Benavente to Alija and then walk to La Bañeza.

The decisions we have to make ! :oops:
I do quite like the idea of travelling on 3 different Caminos.
Different people, different vibe.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I do quite like the idea of travelling on 3 different Caminos.
Different people, different vibe.
The route you're talking about would take you through at least six different vibes. I would be concerned about "mental whiplash" in the transitions:
  • "Tight knit" VDLP band of brothers (and sisters) on the VDLP as far as Granja
  • Austere solitude of the VDLP from Granja to Astorga
  • Gregarious society on the Camino Frances mainstream from Astorga to Ponferrada
  • Back to a "tight knit" cluster - or sprinkles of independent walkers - on the Invierno as far as A Laxe
  • Mixing into the Sanabres mainstream from A Laxe to Santiago
  • Arriving in the madding crowd of Santiago

The route you're talking about would take you through at least six different vibes. I would be concerned about "mental whiplash" in the transitions:
  • "Tight knit" VDLP band of brothers (and sisters) on the VDLP as far as Granja
  • Austere solitude of the VDLP from Granja to Astorga
  • Gregarious society on the Camino Frances mainstream from Astorga to Ponferrada
  • Back to a "tight knit" cluster - or sprinkles of independent walkers - on the Invierno as far as A Laxe
  • Mixing into the Sanabres mainstream from A Laxe to Santiago
  • Arriving in the madding crowd of Santiago

That's also a positive I think.
Though I tend not to end up in tight knit groups.
I'm too slow and get left behind! :rolleyes:

And I tend to avoid the Gregarious groups :)

Though I tend not to end up in tight knit groups.
I'm too slow and get left behind! :rolleyes:
I started my first camino in a very solitary-seeking frame of mind, but I opened up as I progressed. After a few hundred kilometers or so of "shared experience" on the routes from the south with a handful of other pilgrims, I felt very close, even to some people with whom I had only fleeting encounters.

For example, I remember entering the albergue in Lubian on a damp evening in late November and being wrapped in an embrace by a couple that I first encountered under a baking Andalusian sun six or seven weeks earlier. We had spoken just a few times. Their Andalusian accents and my rudimentary Spanish made conversation challenging but we were a Camino family of sorts. Similarly, on my way to see the sunset at the lighthouse in Finisterre, I bumped into an old fella that I had encountered exactly once before. He started walking from Almeria some days after I did and he overtook me in Zamora. That alone made for a powerful connection. The following morning, when I set off for Muxia, he walked with me for a couple of kilometers before turning back to Finisterre to catch a bus home.

That's what I meant by tight knit band of brothers and sisters.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I started my first camino in a very solitary-seeking frame of mind, but I opened up as I progressed. After a few hundred kilometers or so of "shared experience" on the routes from the south with a handful of other pilgrims, I felt very close, even to some people with whom I had only fleeting encounters.

For example, I remember entering the albergue in Lubian on a damp evening in late November and being wrapped in an embrace by a couple that I first encountered under a baking Andalusian sun six or seven weeks earlier. We had spoken just a few times. Their Andalusian accents and my rudimentary Spanish made conversation challenging but we were a Camino family of sorts. Similarly, on my way to see the sunset at the lighthouse in Finisterre, I bumped into an old fella that I had encountered exactly once before. He started walking from Almeria some days after I did and he overtook me in Zamora. That alone made for a powerful connection. The following morning, when I set off for Muxia, he walked with me for a couple of kilometers before turning back to Finisterre to catch a bus home.

By the time I reached Lubian from Seville in the fall of 2017, the only other person who was walking north at the same time (I had never seen her further south) was a young woman whose response to a cancer diagnosis was to immediately go on camino on the VdlP. We separated soon and I walked most of the way through the Sanabres and on to Santiago alone. I saw a few other pilgrims in the albergues on the Sanabres, but we never made much of a connection. The short-distance walkers and I didn't have much to say to one another.

Yes, I've made some very strong connections on Camino. It's hard not to.
What I meant was, within a week or two, they go on without me, as I'm quite slow.
That can be painful in more ways than one....

Hi

I usually walk the Via in about 40 days. That means about 25km per day. There are places where you can chose shorter stages but there are also places where you can't.

If you're uncomfortable walking more than 25km a day I would advise you to consider an easier Camino. There are lots of them to chose from. You might enjoy it a lot more. A lot of people find the Via difficult, a lot of people drop out. There's also the accumulation of tiredness to consider, and the mountains in the north.

Regarding albergues closing. From what I'm hearing this won't be a major issue. I only know of one which doesn't intend to reopen. Albergues on the Via are mostly small, family run businesses, often an annex to a bar, they don't have high overheads, fixed costs or debts. They also don't have any alternative. So I think most of them will be back.

Gerald

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi

I usually walk the Via in about 40 days. That means about 25km per day. There are places where you can chose shorter stages but there are also places where you can't.

If you're uncomfortable walking more than 25km a day I would advise you to consider an easier Camino. There are lots of them to chose from. You might enjoy it a lot more. A lot of people find the Via difficult, a lot of people drop out. There's also the accumulation of tiredness to consider, and the mountains in the north.

Regarding albergues closing. From what I'm hearing this won't be a major issue. I only know of one which doesn't intend to reopen. Albergues on the Via are mostly small, family run businesses, often an annex to a bar, they don't have high overheads, fixed costs or debts. They also don't have any alternative. So I think most of them will be back.

Gerald

Hi @geraldkelly . I appreciate the advice. And the guidebook :)

The VdlP will certainly be a challenge for me, due to the longer distances and lack of options on some stages. Whilst my preference is to keep under 25 kms due to permanent injuries, I 'can' go further if required here and there. Some strong meds will help, and I am one 'stubborn SOB' once I get going ;)

Like any Camino, anything can happen. If for some reason it becomes too much, I could swap to any easier Camino. Or rest up a few days. I'm in no rush. As it is, I'm allowing 56 days. :rolleyes:

I've developed a rough plan that balances the longer days with shorter 'recovery' days.

For some reason the VdlP has a strong pull for me.

I'm totally happy walking alone, dining alone, and coping alone. I'm actually looking forward to the challenge.

I'm totally happy walking alone, dining alone, and coping alone. I'm actually looking forward to the challenge.
That's exactly how I felt about my first VdlP, and like you, although I was obviously travelling faster, I allowed myself tons of time - I had no real confidence in my physical capability and averaged a mere 50km a day, minimal on a bike. I think time on the VdlP is the essence.
Starting in Seville is wondrous. In another post I described it as insanely seductive. As an Australian I'm sure that will be your impression too. I enjoyed a few days at Triana backpackers, (I booked a private room) and I felt I was THERE.
You use the word alone, but the key to the VdlP is solitude, and that can be very special. Crossing paths with other pilgrims I found to be a special blessing, when I could communicate.
Mind you, I went in June, when the route is typically quiet.
When my next camino happens, I hope I will return to the VdlP, and soak it up.

Anyone know where it is?

Easier to change a plan than to come up with a plan :) Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Taxis and buses will be available on most sections that are longer.
We walked our VdlP in early 2020. There really are very few areas where there is no alternate transport. Staying in one place a couple of days and asking for a pick up from the owner will also be possible in some accommodation.

Hi @geraldkelly . I appreciate the advice. And the guidebook :)

The VdlP will certainly be a challenge for me, due to the longer distances and lack of options on some stages. Whilst my preference is to keep under 25 kms due to permanent injuries, I 'can' go further if required here and there. Some strong meds will help, and I am one 'stubborn SOB' once I get going ;)

Like any Camino, anything can happen. If for some reason it becomes too much, I could swap to any easier Camino. Or rest up a few days. I'm in no rush. As it is, I'm allowing 56 days. :rolleyes:

I've developed a rough plan that balances the longer days with shorter 'recovery' days.

I sounds like you understand the difficulties and have a realistic approach. That's important on the Via because it's a difficult Camino.

(Apologies if you mentioned this somewhere, I can't find it) When are you planning to walk?

I sounds like you understand the difficulties and have a realistic approach. That's important on the Via because it's a difficult Camino.

(Apologies if you mentioned this somewhere, I can't find it) When are you planning to walk?

I had planned to depart mid March 2022. But who knows.
That may get pushed back to 2023 depending on Covid.

Trying to avoid the heat of Summer of course.
Not that keen on Winter.
So Spring or Autumn really........

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Mid March would be the "busy time" on the Via. But of course, with the Covid it's impossible to predict what next month will be like, never mind next year!

I'm currently working on a FAQ section for my website about walking the Via. I hope to have it finished soon and I'll post a link when it is.

Anyway, the bit about when to walk is ready so I'll paste an except from it below:

When is the best time to walk?​

Starting in Seville, from a weather point-of-view the best time to start is March / April. However, that is also the busy time. Earlier than that and the chances of encountering bad weather (cold, rain, wind, etc.) are higher. Later than that and the chances of extreme heat are higher.

October is also a good time to start from Seville however as you head north the days will get shorter and the weather will get colder. By the time you get to Galicia and the mountains it'll already be getting towards November and the chances of bad weather (including snow) are high.

There's no reason not to start from Seville in winter (November to February) however you will need good cold weather and rain gear and an all-season sleeping-bag.

If you're starting further north in Salamanca or Zamora, conditions are similar to the Camino Francés. The northern section, north of Salamanca, can be walked at any time of year, with the proviso that some of the mountains are above 1,000m and so weather conditions can be harsh in winter.

When is the worse time to walk?​

Starting in Seville the worst and hardest time to walk is the hot months (June, July, August and September). In the south of Spain (ie. Andalusia and Extremadura) daytime temperatures above 35C are normal and temperatures above 40C are common. This extreme heat makes the summer the most difficult and dangerous time to walk - several people have died of heat related causes in recent years. You should not attempt to walk in summer unless you are used to and comfortable walking in 40C and higher.

In addition to the heat you may also find that many pilgrim hostels will be closed for periods over the summer to allow their owners / staff / volunteers to take a holiday. These closures are generally not planned or announced in advance.

Also, unless you really want solitude the loneliness of being along every day and every evening of your walk is likely to take an emotional toll.

If you search around the internet you'll find some accounts of people who've walked in summer. They give advice such as carry a hiking umbrella, carry lots of water, start very early (and walk several hours in the dark), etc. This is all sound advice, but it boils down to one thing, if you take all of the following precautions then the southern section of the Vía in summer is just about bearable. Why would you want to do that when there are lots of other Caminos in northern Spain you could walk instead and have a far more relaxed and enjoyable time?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Something a little unusual on the Spanish news websites today. Two pilgrims forced to climb an oak tree to escape from a cow defending her calf. Apparently they called the Guardia Civil from their...
Hello, I am researching the Sanabrés and have discovered that since the AVE construction is complete, this section from Requejo to Padornelo has a new route available along the Requejo River. Our...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back