• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shortest Pilgrim Accommodation Route on Via Gebennensis (GR65) from Geneva to France

alan janette

Raw Runners
Time of past OR future Camino
Paris-SDC 2015; Norte, SSalvador, Primitivo, Muxia, Finnisterre 2016; Vdl Plata, Portuguese 2018
We are arriving in Geneva by early train from Paris 3 April 2023 and plan to spend the day looking around and then walking out and into France on the new Via Gebennensis (GR65) through Haute Savoie (not vis Lyon) So looking for the shortest distance to Pilgrim accommodation. Does anyone know if there is anything before getting to Neydens? Thanks.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We walked in 2018, and Neydens is the closest albergue/gîte we found. There is accommodation such as hotels earlier, but they are not Pilgrim specific. We stayed at the ibis Archamps Porte de Genève, which was only 11km from the Basilique in Cornavin.

we will do the GR-65 in September. I am also interested in this information. I will follow the post. I'm from Brazil and a friend who was in Switzerland brought me the credentials. the foot is itching to start this “Camino”.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We are arriving in Geneva by early train from Paris 3 April 2023 and plan to spend the day looking around and then walking out and into France on the new Via Gebennensis (GR65) through Haute Savoie (not vis Lyon) So looking for the shortest distance to Pilgrim accommodation. Does anyone know if there is anything before getting to Neydens? Thanks.
I walked the route in September 2022. Due to the late season, concerns about Covid, and the inexperience of my friend, I arranged all lodging in advance. Fortunately I had the resources to stay in several budget accommodations due to the lack of gites d'etape (albergues) on this route. Here are the highlights: In Chaumont, the gite was closed. We stayed in the bed and breakfast (chambres d'hotes) of Mme. G Mossiere. It was really a private apartment and it was wonderful and inexpensive. She provided an amazing dinner and breakfast. You can book on the local tourism website Savoie-Mont-Blanc.com In Romagnieu there is a new gite that wasn't in my FFRP topoguide. M. Noel Caste, proprietor. Brand-new and nice. We had a most enjoyable stay at La Ferraz, a bed and breakfast just before La Chapelle de Surieu. For our stay in Choron, I used the local travel office pilat-tourisme.com to book a room (65 euros for two) in a private home, Mme Patrice. Dinner requested in advance. Washer/dryer available. By this time two other duos were asking me where we were staying because they realized the difficulties of finding last minute accommodation. So with the hostess we were seven at the table for a raucous meal. Next was Gite L'Isba de la Tortue in Bourg-Argental, very good. Reserve dinner in advance and dine with the hostess. Finally, not to be missed, in Clavas-Couchoux, chambres d'hotes Les Herbes Sauvage, with Mme. Anne-Marie. Wonderful home-made aperitif, cheese, hors d'ouvres, dinner, large room, and the communal spirit shared with the hostess and the two couples who now walked in lock-step with us, total 111 euros. France can be expensive. I've walked from Montgenevre, Vezelay, Le-Puy etc. Those routes had "albergues" almost everywhere. Finding low-cost accommodation on this route in autumn was a challenge.

information that may help. There is a friend who brought the pilgrim's credentials directly from Geneva, after a lot of searching, she only found them at the Geneva tourist office and it cost 10 euros.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the route in September 2022. Due to the late season, concerns about Covid, and the inexperience of my friend, I arranged all lodging in advance. Fortunately I had the resources to stay in several budget accommodations due to the lack of gites d'etape (albergues) on this route. Here are the highlights: In Chaumont, the gite was closed. We stayed in the bed and breakfast (chambres d'hotes) of Mme. G Mossiere. It was really a private apartment and it was wonderful and inexpensive. She provided an amazing dinner and breakfast. You can book on the local tourism website Savoie-Mont-Blanc.com In Romagnieu there is a new gite that wasn't in my FFRP topoguide. M. Noel Caste, proprietor. Brand-new and nice. We had a most enjoyable stay at La Ferraz, a bed and breakfast just before La Chapelle de Surieu. For our stay in Choron, I used the local travel office pilat-tourisme.com to book a room (65 euros for two) in a private home, Mme Patrice. Dinner requested in advance. Washer/dryer available. By this time two other duos were asking me where we were staying because they realized the difficulties of finding last minute accommodation. So with the hostess we were seven at the table for a raucous meal. Next was Gite L'Isba de la Tortue in Bourg-Argental, very good. Reserve dinner in advance and dine with the hostess. Finally, not to be missed, in Clavas-Couchoux, chambres d'hotes Les Herbes Sauvage, with Mme. Anne-Marie. Wonderful home-made aperitif, cheese, hors d'ouvres, dinner, large room, and the communal spirit shared with the hostess and the two couples who now walked in lock-step with us, total 111 euros. France can be expensive. I've walked from Montgenevre, Vezelay, Le-Puy etc. Those routes had "albergues" almost everywhere. Finding low-cost accommodation on this route in autumn was a challenge.
I walked this route twice pre covid. There were Accueil Jacquaire options and a very good splattering of Gite Communale accommodation, which made the route very affordable.
Do these options no longer exist?
Thank you, Gitti

This doesn't answer your question, for I walked further that day (to Mont Sion). I walked this section (Geneva to Le Puy) Aug 28-Sept 11, 2022… rarely saw another pilgrim. Definitely get the “yellow book” & reserve a few days ahead! Don’t know if there is an updated post-Covid version of the book. If not, be aware that many no longer offer accommodations… hence, depending on your mileage, you may have difficulties in certain areas finding “reasonable” accommodations. I used ABnB a few times. Highly recommend… Chateau de Pelly!!! (1+km from Designy) It’s a castle from the 1250’s now owned & being renovated by a couple… they have a pilgrim rate & cook you dinner… it’s incredible. Other recs: Marie Claude in St Hilaire-de-la-Cote (a bit off trail)… La Ferme de 1000 Couleurs (Revel-Tourdan… fabulous dinner!)… Gite au Roulotte (Bessey)… Domaine du Poisor, Christine Rouchous (Bourg-Argental)… Les Herbes Sauvages (Clavas, a bit off trail… fabulous dinner!)… and B&B de la Prevote if you want a place right next to the Cathedral in Le Puy.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We walked in 2018, and Neydens is the closest albergue/gîte we found. There is accommodation such as hotels earlier, but they are not Pilgrim specific. We stayed at the ibis Archamps Porte de Genève, which was only 11km from the Basilique in Cornavin.
Thanks for your reply, we're thinking that will most likely be where we get to the first night.

Refer to the Yellow Guide published for the route. It's what I used and I found accommodation that first day in a Gîte at a pilgrim rate(I think)?
Yes thanks, we have a printout of the route but it doesn't have the accommodation options. We plan to wing it but just working out the distance for the first night.

I walked this route twice pre covid. There were Accueil Jacquaire options and a very good splattering of Gite Communale accommodation, which made the route very affordable.
Thank you, Gitti
This doesn't answer your question, for I walked further that day (to Mont Sion). I walked this section (Geneva to Le Puy) Aug 28-Sept 11, 2022… rarely saw another pilgrim. Definitely get the “yellow book” & reserve a few days ahead! Don’t know if there is an updated post-Covid version of the book. If not, be aware that many no longer offer accommodations… hence, depending on your mileage, you may have difficulties in certain areas finding “reasonable” accommodations. I used ABnB a few times. Highly recommend… Chateau de Pelly!!! (1+km from Designy) It’s a castle from the 1250’s now owned & being renovated by a couple… they have a pilgrim rate & cook you dinner… it’s incredible. Other recs: Marie Claude in St Hilaire-de-la-Cote (a bit off trail)… La Ferme de 1000 Couleurs (Revel-Tourdan… fabulous dinner!)… Gite au Roulotte (Bessey)… Domaine du Poisor, Christine Rouchous (Bourg-Argental)… Les Herbes Sauvages (Clavas, a bit off trail… fabulous dinner!)… and B&B de la Prevote if you want a place right next to the Cathedral in Le Puy.
Thanks for the info and recommendations, sounds great.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you, Gitti
Yes we are wondering about this too

@gittihare
Thanks for all the info and recommendations, sounds great. Did you find the FFRP Topoguide useful?

information that may help. There is a friend who brought the pilgrim's credentials directly from Geneva, after a lot of searching, she only found them at the Geneva tourist office and it cost 10 euros.
Thanks for that info. I've sent a message to the Cathedral St Pierre but haven't heard back yet. I'll contact the Geneva Tourist Office to see if they will put the credential aside for our pickup in April.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you, Gitti
I obtained the Yellow Book that listed Accueil Jacquaire options after I had booked my lodgings. Some of the entries looked like possibilities, but I was worried that the listings were out of date.
On the first day we took the bus to Carouge and then walked 20 km to Le Mont-Sion (St-Blaise) and stayed in a pretty expensive hotel. "The Originals Hotel" The food options were over-priced frozen food. There is an unrelated restaurant next door, but you really need a reservation. It didn't feel like a pilgrimage day, rather a chichi tourist day (except for the walk ) but things soon improved.

I obtained the Yellow Book that listed Accueil Jacquaire options after I had booked my lodgings. Some of the entries looked like possibilities, but I was worried that the listings were out of date.
On the first day we took the bus to Carouge and then walked 20 km to Le Mont-Sion (St-Blaise) and stayed in a pretty expensive hotel. "The Originals Hotel" The food options were over-priced frozen food. There is an unrelated restaurant next door, but you really need a reservation. It didn't feel like a pilgrimage day, rather a chichi tourist day (except for the walk ) but things soon improved.
Shame...the Accueil Jacquaire options made this one of the most special pilgrimages for me....

Bonjour @alan janette, @rscohen and others....

Re out of date listings...
Perhaps you are familiar with the Association Rhône-Alpes des Amis de Saint-Jacques website where one can purchase the Guide Jaune? In November 2022 an interim update of the latest Guide Jaune was published there. New accommodation possibilities and closures were included. These will be 'good', I should think through to summer 2023.

Bon courage!
-Lovingkindness

To find the pdf, click on the link above; scroll down a little then clique on 'Lecture'. It looks like this:

Guide Jaune
Modifications 2022 : 04/11/2022

Cliquez sur l’image

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I stayed at a halte jacquaire in Beaumont I think... It wasn't too expensive...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back