• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I book accommodation for Easter

Alun26

Time of past OR future Camino
2019 April - May Camino de Frances
Dear All,

This will be my first Camino, I will start at 13rd of April form Pamplona, and I'm not sure about Easter.
I heard Easter time is nice in Spain, so I'm really excited about it:)

However I don't know what will be open in that 4 days or should I prebook the accommodation (because of crowd & non-working day) for that days or not.
I'd like to stay albergues where I can. On "normal" days I would like to be felexible and not booking.

Thank you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My first Camino too and alone. I shall be behind you starting on Sunday 28 April from St Jean Pied de Port so we are unlikely to meet but I shall be concerned about the similar things - food available on Sunday's - accommodation open - what will the weather be like? Can I manage....to finish...I've booked my first 2 nights and will listen to my feet thereafter 🙃

Completely depends upon how far/fast you will be walking since city albuergues can get congested with “weekend” walkers especially over extended holiday periods. (Yeah, not a great answer, right? 🙄). Since this is your first Camino, it’s hard to gauge where you will stop each evening, so booking days ahead is probably not a possibility.

Municipal albuergues do not take reservations, but can be bare bones and crowded - they are always an option if you do not want to book ahead.

In your case, definitely have a room booked in Pamplona and one booked for the first day out of the city at a reasonable distance that you can easily reach. After that, you can gauge the crowds and plan day to day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Alun26 Holy Week in Spain starts Sunday 14th April and ends Sunday 21st. It is a very important festival for observant catholics in Spain but also a particular holiday time and an opportunity for many Spaniards to walk sections of the Caminos. In consequence the camino can be busy and so can accommodation. Happily just about every accommodation provider will be open and up for it.

If you can work out your reasonable distances per day it may be worth booking at least a couple of days in advance, though as has been said above the municipal and paroquial Albergues do not take bookings. While there will always be a risk that you may not find a bed that risk is, to my perception, low. You're sense of acceptable risk is you're own.

I walked in Holy Week 2012 in throngs of devout and happy holidaying Spaniards but always found a bed. I walked into Logrono on Black Friday 2012 without any booking and spent the night on a mattress on the floor of one of my favourite Albergues ever. The passion and the spectacle of the processions will remain in my minds eye and my heart forever. 3 nights down the road there was hardly anyone about.

As for what might be opened or closed. Shops will close on the Holy days; sometimes, in smaller Pueblos so will the bars. But the Camino Frances is a unique environment. I think you will find that pilgrims are catered for.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back