• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I book in advance the trains from Paris to SJPDP?

rosiexamanda

Rosie
Time of past OR future Camino
I have completed two Camino's in 2015, my first was the final 116km from Sarria to Santiago with a group of 19 for the Holy week in April, second in September on my own I walked from Melide to Finesterre around 180 km, my plans are, God Willing, to walk the whole Camino Frances in June and July for which I am currently preparing!
Hello Pilgrims! sorry the titled should have read Should I BOOK in advance....
Would anyone offer advice to help my journey planning...
I am flying to Paris and need to get the correct trains to SJPDP to begin my Camino, but should I book the trains in advance or should I just get on them when I arrive at Paris?
I will arrive to Paris on June 1st and my flights are booked, I was unsure about the trains though so any advice would be most gratefully appreciated.
God Bless!
Rosie

EDIT: Moderator changed the title for you. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I would buy the tickets in advance, one less things to worry about upon arrival. Buen Camino, SY

Thank you, I believe it is two destinations to reach there by train as there is not one direct, can you recommend a website through which I can book!? x

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you so much :)

Hello Pilgrims! sorry the titled should have read Should I BOOK in advance....
Would anyone offer advice to help my journey planning...
I am flying to Paris and need to get the correct trains to SJPDP to begin my Camino, but should I book the trains in advance or should I just get on them when I arrive at Paris?
I will arrive to Paris on June 1st and my flights are booked, I was unsure about the trains though so any advice would be most gratefully appreciated.
God Bless!
Rosie

EDIT: Moderator changed the title for you. :)
Hi Rosie , when you book in advance the tickets are propably cheaper .
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I also use rome2rio.com for planning travels. Buen Camino, SY

And you only need to book from Paris to Bayonne. You can buy the ticket from Bayonne to SJPdP at the station in Bayonne, much easier just to do it there.

Don't forget that there is a TGV station at the Charles DeGalle Airport. (I met a couple on the Camino who didn't know that and spent 60 Euro for a cab into Paris to catch a train.) You can catch trains at the airport TGV station to Bayonne, with a change in Bordeaux.

And Peter is right, the tickets in advance are definitely less expensive.

Last edited:
Hi. As already said, I would (am going to) book the Paris-Bayonne train early. It will probably save you money. I normally use the German DB Trains website, in English. It is excellent for times and all info. They have a very good phone App too. I shall stay in Paris so I can take an earlyish train. Unless your flight arrives very early you may find yourself getting to Bayonne late. I know to my cost how bad queues can be at train stations. So it may be best to get your ongoing ticket when you book the first one. TGV trains must be used with the specific ticket you have. Not so regional trains. Definitely avoid 'voyages sncf' website, formerly RailEurope. The English version. As it often says "no trains match your journey" when I know for a fact that such trains exist. The French version is sometimes better. Or try SNCF (without the voyages). On these sites it is easier to pick your seat instead of having it picked for you. Something to consider on a long journey. A forward facing seat. On it's own. Next to a window, is my preference. You may want a seat at a table. Or next to the aisle. Do not assume that 1st class will be expensive. Often it is a similar price to 2nd class. And it's more comfortable and less crowded, all seats have plug sockets. If your train says Duplex it will be a double-decker. If the ticket machines are working you could get your ongoing ticket from one of those, but they can still be busy, not good if you are in a hurry. Check out Man in Seat 61 website. it's very good.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used the TGV from Paris to Irun last May and booked 1st class as soon as the tickets were released and it was very cheap but there were four of us and we booked a table of four in our own compartment. I took a walk through the train and I only saw a couple of empty seats and I expect these passengers were at the bar.
I had a chat with a fully armed Gendarme at the bar who had been walking through the train at the beginning and he said most trains running south from Paris are full most of the day.
seat61.com is a fantastic tool for planning and loco2.com will tell you if your tickets are available and if not will allow you to set up an email alert letting you know the moment they are released.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I used the train to Bayonne in September, booked ahead of time, 1st class. Glad I did because the train looked fairly full with some getting off along the way, and more getting on. Remember to sit in your allocated seat.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Do not assume that 1st class will be expensive. Often it is a similar price to 2nd class. And it's more comfortable and less crowded, all seats have plug sockets.

I booked a first class ticket also. It was only marginally more than the 2nd class ticket, and WELL WORTH the relatively small difference.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back