• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I book or not?

Johnlewis47

West of England Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances in 2019 is my plan. I’ve had a tough 4 years with personal issues & need guidance
Hey everyone

I have a question that I would to ask to help me with my search for faith on my Camino.

Basically, should I book my nights accommodation at the Albergues? I’m hoping to find my faith in trust which I have lost, trust that for those of us that do good, a place to rest with be ready. My Camino means a lot to me to rebuild this, I have lost faith in many things, society, faith, the rules...... I feel if I have to book ahead, then I am cheating my rediscovery of trust.

I know many of you will read this and think I’m crazy, but I know we all have so many different reasons for looking to the way of St James to help us.

Thanks all

John

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey everyone

I have a question that I would to ask to help me with my search for faith on my Camino.

Basically, should I book my nights accommodation at the Albergues? I’m hoping to find my faith in trust which I have lost, trust that for those of us that do good, a place to rest with be ready. My Camino means a lot to me to rebuild this, I have lost faith in many things, society, faith, the rules...... I feel if I have to book ahead, then I am cheating my rediscovery of trust.

I know many of you will read this and think I’m crazy, but I know we all have so many different reasons for looking to the way of St James to help us.

Thanks all

John
Hi! The only albergue that needs booking (imo) is the one at Orisson - if you wanted to stay there.
I don't book ahead (except Orisson) and a hotel in Santiago but then I walk in July/August when it is not very busy (contrary to popular belief ;)) My last Camino francés was in 2016 so it may have changed of course.

Last edited:
Thank you for that info, I’m planning on a September pilgrimage so guessing by that there’s even less reason to book?

Thank you

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for that info, I’m planning on a September pilgrimage so guessing by that there’s even less reason to book?

Thank you
Actually, September is a popular Camino month, but booking ahead is not really necessary.

Hi John,

What an interesting predicament, sorry, I don't mean to make light of your situation but it raises fascinating questions. It seems risky to put so much pressure on the arbitrary nature of accomodation availability but I very much hope that one way or another The Camino restores some of your faith, it seems to work for a lot of people. On an entirely practical note I think you'll have little trouble finding places to stay without reservations, personally I never booked ahead.

What I think might provide greater comfort are the people you meet and things you see along the way, that is where the real magic is.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

I feel if I have to book ahead, then I am cheating my rediscovery of trust.
I wish you well on your search for faith, and each of us has our own way to do that. However, I wouldn't confuse faith or trust in the basic goodness of people, with the logistics of finding accommodation. They are totally different processes. And there is no issue of "cheating" in being reasonably prepared. People may be good people but not have a spare bed for you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome to the forum John. Your question brings to mind an old saying, trust in God but tether your camel. Play booking ahead by ear based on how busy the Camino is when you are there. I hope you find what you are looking for, its a search we all make at some point in our lives.
Buen Camino.

I’m hoping to find my faith in trust which I have lost
In the beginning I predict that you will worry a bit (or a lot) about finding a bed, and will do fine finding one. Then you will become less anxious and enjoy the walk more because your faith has been rewarded.

One day the inn will be full and you will have to wander a bit to find a bed. After some effort and creativity, you will find one. Your reaction: "That wasn't so bad."

In September, if you stop before 2 p.m., you will have no problems whatsoever. If you walk until dusk, which is pretty late, you may have to wander town. Making reservations is more about finding a bed by phone than it is not finding a bed. Don't worry, and have fun! ;)

Hi Rob

Thanks for your message.

I hold a lot of faith for the people I’ll meet on the way, I don’t t think I’ve heard anything otherwise. I met with my local vicar recently who reminded me of the Lord’s Prayer, “...give us this day our daily bread...” nothing about tomorrows bread, and with this in mind I hope that’s the case. Take each day and find faith and trust that it will all work out. Prove to myself that things do not always go wrong. That’s the faith I’m hoping to find, it’ll all be ok in the end.

I sincerely hope I do not have to book, this is the way I see my Camino, faith that it’ll be ok, with no need to book ahead.

Thanks once again

John

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I wish you well on your search for faith, and each of us has our own way to do that. However, I wouldn't confuse faith or trust in the basic goodness of people, with the logistics of finding accommodation. They are totally different processes. And there is no issue of "cheating" in being reasonably prepared. People may be good people but not have a spare bed for you.
Thank you that’s a very good point.

Welcome to the forum John. Your question brings to mind an old saying, trust in God but tether your camel. Play booking ahead by ear based on how busy the Camino is when you are there. I hope you find what you are looking for, its a search we all make at some point in our lives.
Buen Camino.

Thank you. Another good point, but I feel I need to walk without the safety net of a my camel tether, I bit of risk and faith in what will be, in order to find what I am looking for. I hope to learn more about when to trust and have faith and when to tether my camel.

Good wishes

In the beginning I predict that you will worry a bit (or a lot) about finding a bed, and will do fine finding one. Then you will become less anxious and enjoy the walk more because your faith has been rewarded.

One day the inn will be full and you will have to wander a bit to find a bed. After some effort and creativity, you will find one. Your reaction: "That wasn't so bad."

In September, if you stop before 2 p.m., you will have no problems whatsoever. If you walk until dusk, which is pretty late, you may have to wander town. Making reservations is more about finding a bed by phone than it is not finding a bed. Don't worry, and have fun! ;)

This is of course probably the most famous story of all, no room at the inn, but something will still be provided. You’re right, it’s that “that wasn’t so bad” fear I must conquer, my lostness is in catastrophe, my irrational belief that it always goes wrong and in a big way which has caused me to question faith and the rules

Thank you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am amazed at the super support and advice I have already gained from this thread alone, and not just with the practical element to this question. So many of you are helping with my spiritual element of my Camino.

Thank you.

Hey everyone

Thanks all

John
Booking ahead doesn't mean lack of trust. My first Camino I didn't even bring a phone and trusted a different person each night to call and make reservations for the following night. The next year I decided this was wrong because most people just show up and I felt pressured to do the same. Well that didn't work for me. You have to work with your personality type and we are not all the same. I like knowing where I am going each night and have walked enough miles to estimate how far I want to walk each day. One evening while I was looking through my guidebook for the next nights lodging an English man bragged he had booked the entire trip I had. I felt far superior to him at that moment because at least I didn't do that. However now I do. It's relaxing for me to walk leisurely as late as I want and not worry about a bed. So in summary do whatever makes you happy there are no rules on the Camino. Oh ---maybe one ---don't snore in the albergue. LOL

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi John, from a fellow Brit, do not prebook just go with the flow mate. I did the Frances starting mid Septrmber in 2016. Never had a problem. You may not get into your first option but never went without a bed.
During my whole Frances I only met 15 Brits on the whole journey and that was refreshing. With the recent 3 part BBC Celbertity coverage of the Camino it will be interesting to see if it becomes more popular with the British.

Booking ahead doesn't mean lack of trust. My first Camino I didn't even bring a phone and trusted a different person each night to call and make reservations for the following night. The next year I decided this was wrong because most people just show up and I felt pressured to do the same. Well that didn't work for me. You have to work with your personality type and we are not all the same. I like knowing where I am going each night and have walked enough miles to estimate how far I want to walk each day. One evening while I was looking through my guidebook for the next nights lodging an English man bragged he had booked the entire trip I had. I felt far superior to him at that moment because at least I didn't do that. However now I do. It's relaxing for me to walk leisurely as late as I want and not worry about a bed. So in summary do whatever makes you happy there are no rules on the Camino. Oh ---maybe one ---don't snore in the albergue. LOL

Thank you!

My character is typically to apply plenty of safety net planning and I would be the type to book all in advence but that personality trait has led to not only a disturbance in my trust and faith but also of a mental breakdown (earlier this year) due to the stress of when it doesn’t work out, so it’s a trait I want to change to develop a much better me, much better faith that what will be will be. But again thank you so much for the advice.

I seek advice, remember it even if I don’t use it as one day it may be my saving

Hi John, from a fellow Brit, do not prebook just go with the flow mate. I did the Frances starting mid Septrmber in 2016. Never had a problem. You may not get into your first option but never went without a bed.
During my whole Frances I only met 15 Brits on the whole journey and that was refreshing. With the recent 3 part BBC Celbertity coverage of the Camino it will be interesting to see if it becomes more popular with the British.

Once again thank you. I learnt of the Camino through my parish vicar when I went to him explaining I’d lost faith and trust in the world and mankind. He told me (knowing that I like walking) about the Camino and my research led me to (amongst others) the BBC programme. I was pleased to see a fellow Band of Brother in JJ Chalmers was on it. I agree though, the idea of spending time away from the typical British life slugging and stressing is appealing, I too wonder the after effects of the BBC.

Thank you for your gratefully received advice.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would echo that the one place to book is Orisson, it is a great place to meet people and breaks up the hardest day. It books up really early so book now! For the rest I would try and go with the flow.

Hey everyone

Thanks all

John

Hello,
The last time I went the only night I booked ahead was my first night after my flight in from the U.S. and my last nights in Santiago. I was with a friend, so we had each other, and that helped my comfort a bit.

After a few days in, we learned that the best thing always worked out. Even when we had a hard time finding a place to stay, we always found the type of accommodation we needed. Everything worked out. I learned patience and trust on the Camino in a way I never learned at home. And, you know, when I feel nervous or unsure about what's coming my way in life, I think, "Camino," and that means to trust it will all work out.

I am going on my second trip in June. This time I will go alone, and I'm booking my first night there and then on my first stop along the way only because I will be alone and this is bringing me some sense of security.
So, John, that was my experience. Go with your gut. I hope you learn to trust in the Camino. All will be fine.
Buen Camino,
Lynne

Hey everyone

Thanks all

John
I was very surprised by the booking ahead frenzy last fall. I would say the best places to book ahead are St Jean (I have heard that Belari is a great place to stay), and Orisson. This not only breaks up your trip up and over the Pyrenees into two days, but you have a wonderful afternoon and evening with fellow pilgrims who unbeknownst to you will become your camino family over the next several weeks. An observation was that those who booked ahead were frantic every afternoon trying to decide how far they would walk the next day, and picking a place to stay. We made the decision to NOT book ahead as a general rule. We started early in the morning - up and out by 7am, walked an average of 14 miles a day, and were settled into an Alburgue by about 1-2pm. We never had trouble finding a place to stay. It also allowed us the flexibility to stop whenever we wanted to and not have the stress of predicting where we would end each day. The Brierly guide has a great list of all the albergues in a village, and as you can see, more and more are being added all the time. As for your faith....I would say that this definitely was a faith walk, and as each day passed, and we were blessed with a bunk, it was easier to let the anxiety go about the possibility of not finding a bed. And remember - the absolute worst thing that will happen is that you need to walk to the next town, or get a taxi to the next town.

You will get many opinions....this is just one woman's opinion :)

Buen Camino,
Jane

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello,
The last time I went the only night I booked ahead was my first night after my flight in from the U.S. and my last nights in Santiago. I was with a friend, so we had each other, and that helped my comfort a bit.

After a few days in, we learned that the best thing always worked out. Even when we had a hard time finding a place to stay, we always found the type of accommodation we needed. Everything worked out. I learned patience and trust on the Camino in a way I never learned at home. And, you know, when I feel nervous or unsure about what's coming my way in life, I think, "Camino," and that means to trust it will all work out.

I am going on my second trip in June. This time I will go alone, and I'm booking my first night there and then on my first stop along the way only because I will be alone and this is bringing me some sense of security.
So, John, that was my experience. Go with your gut. I hope you learn to trust in the Camino. All will be fine.
Buen Camino,
Lynne

Hi Lynne

Thank you for this!! This is exactly where I am. I want the Camino to help me trust, and be able to look back and think “Camino” at home. This is a great sentiment thank you.

Burn Camino for June

I was very surprised by the booking ahead frenzy last fall. I would say the best places to book ahead are St Jean (I have heard that Belari is a great place to stay), and Orisson. This not only breaks up your trip up and over the Pyrenees into two days, but you have a wonderful afternoon and evening with fellow pilgrims who unbeknownst to you will become your camino family over the next several weeks. An observation was that those who booked ahead were frantic every afternoon trying to decide how far they would walk the next day, and picking a place to stay. We made the decision to NOT book ahead as a general rule. We started early in the morning - up and out by 7am, walked an average of 14 miles a day, and were settled into an Alburgue by about 1-2pm. We never had trouble finding a place to stay. It also allowed us the flexibility to stop whenever we wanted to and not have the stress of predicting where we would end each day. The Brierly guide has a great list of all the albergues in a village, and as you can see, more and more are being added all the time. As for your faith....I would say that this definitely was a faith walk, and as each day passed, and we were blessed with a bunk, it was easier to let the anxiety go about the possibility of not finding a bed. And remember - the absolute worst thing that will happen is that you need to walk to the next town, or get a taxi to the next town.

You will get many opinions....this is just one woman's opinion :)

Buen Camino,
Jane

Jane thank you. Opinions are always worth reading and storing for another time. It is certainly my intention to let go of anxiety and learn to trust on my Camino, to have faith that things will work out, and my Camino is my first step in trust it’ll all be good in the end. A Zen Bhuddist once said that this too will pass, nothing is permanent, but I struggle with seeing past and trusting it will pass and trusting things will work out.

Thank you x

Hi John,

May I venture to suggest that your search for lost trust is focused in the wrong place? I do not doubt for one moment that you are experiencing a crisis of some sort. I get the feeling that you expect the world to behave in a certain way under a certain set of circumstances but what you expect is not what you experience. If I am on the wrong track completely I apologise, just stop reading and forgive me for putting 2 and 2 together and making 5. Otherwise may I suggest that you give up expecting the world to be any particular way and rather focus on being the person you want to be. The former you have a large degree of control over and the latter you have absolutely no control over.

As for finding a bed each night, I have spent over 80 nights on various Caminos and never booked ahead, except for Santiago or for a hotel in one of the big cities where I took a rest day. Something was always available and I never had to worry. On one occasion I did have a ‘no room at the inn’ experience, but the inn keepers arranged a taxi that took me to a place that did have room. It all worked out well. The vast majority of people I have encountered on my walks have treated me the way I would like to be treated. The only thing I think that we are compelled to do is to treat others as we would like to be treated and after that let the world sort itself out.

I wish for you a wonderful Camino. Buen Camino.
Aidan

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Personally I would book Orisson if you plan to stay there and Roncesvalles, if you're traveling in the summer. I saw MANY pilgrims turned away last year at Roncesvalles because they were full.

Hi John,

May I venture to suggest that your search for lost trust is focused in the wrong place? I do not doubt for one moment that you are experiencing a crisis of some sort. I get the feeling that you expect the world to behave in a certain way under a certain set of circumstances but what you expect is not what you experience. If I am on the wrong track completely I apologise, just stop reading and forgive me for putting 2 and 2 together and making 5. Otherwise may I suggest that you give up expecting the world to be any particular way and rather focus on being the person you want to be. The former you have a large degree of control over and the latter you have absolutely no control over.

As for finding a bed each night, I have spent over 80 nights on various Caminos and never booked ahead, except for Santiago or for a hotel in one of the big cities where I took a rest day. Something was always available and I never had to worry. On one occasion I did have a ‘no room at the inn’ experience, but the inn keepers arranged a taxi that took me to a place that did have room. It all worked out well. The vast majority of people I have encountered on my walks have treated me the way I would like to be treated. The only thing I think that we are compelled to do is to treat others as we would like to be treated and after that let the world sort itself out.

I wish for you a wonderful Camino. Buen Camino.
Aidan

Aiden, wow. Thank you. You have hit the nail on the head, as we say here, although where is a slight twist. I’ve lost faith and trust because the rules of the world have confused me and caused my crisis. Yes I am in crisis, I have been for 4 years, and have come close to dangerous situations through that crisis. I want to find in me, my old feelings that how the world is behaving doesn’t matter, that the rules are for guidance only, and to stop trusting the rules and the world only to be let down. I grasp utopia and perfection in the world around me and simply become more and more dissatisfied with it and with myself. This has led on to feeling that everyone in the world has a nasty agenda, that no one can be trusted as a good person. I want to be a different me. I hope I can find that person and find faith in society, trust in what will be once more on the Camino.

Aiden thank you.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back