• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I bring a lock?

Willin'

Abiding Dude
Time of past OR future Camino
First Camino in September 2017
Hi all,

I'm leaving tomorrow for the full (hopefully, since this is my first Camino) Lisboa to Santiago and still researching money/credit card/ passport security. One site I came across mentioned that some residences have security lockers for personal things. I wouldn't have expected that at an albergue but since I'm a tenderfoot I may have to spend a night or two in an intermediate location.

Is a padlock of some sort a sensible thing to bring along? I'll be adopting various security strategies depending on the situation, ie, spreading my money and docs out in various hard to access locations while walking, but it sure would be nice to tuck everything away in a safe every once in a while if I go out to play.

Any thoughts?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all,

I'm leaving tomorrow for the full (hopefully, since this is my first Camino) Lisboa to Santiago and still researching money/credit card/ passport security. One site I came across mentioned that some residences have security lockers for personal things. I wouldn't have expected that at an albergue but since I'm a tenderfoot I may have to spend a night or two in an intermediate location.

Is a padlock of some sort a sensible thing to bring along? I'll be adopting various security strategies depending on the situation, ie, spreading my money and docs out in various hard to access locations while walking, but it sure would be nice to tuck everything away in a safe every once in a while if I go out to play.

Any thoughts?

Falcon gives you good advice Willin'.

My advice regarding locks is simple. Take a lock of hair from a loved one, it may bring you more security and peace of mind than all else.

Buen(secure in mind, body, earthly goods and spirit) Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So far, I haven't seen an albergue or gîte where a padlock would be useful. If there are locked lockers (relatively few so far), the facility provides a lock & key.

Better to work out a system where you carry your valuables with you (money, cards, passport, and credencial). Cargo pants pockets do it for me when away from my pack but I also use a clear vinyl pouch in my pack so I can visually check the contents.

Good luck.

So far, I haven't seen an albergue or gîte where a padlock would be useful. If there are locked lockers (relatively few so far), the facility provides a lock & key.
Most I've been at had lockers and offered to sell or rent a lock. One left the lock up to you. One had combinations. All but one had lockers smaller than my backpack, so I had to unpack anything I might worry about.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Some kind of body belt is a good idea, and a dry sack you can put it into for shower time. No need, as already said, for a padlock. Buen camino

Wasted weight! I used a Bandiwear belt. It worked perfectly for passport, cash, and phone.
Take a multi-purpose hook in the shower with you. Just don't forget it in the 2nd albergue you stay in, like I did!
Oh, well. I am sure some other pilgrim made use of it!
Buen camino

Why, just have faith and trust your fellow pilgrims and leave all the worry at home. As I say if someone wants to steal they probably needed it more than me.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Many thanks for the great advice folks. I'm on the Camino now so we can close this thread. I took the dry bag route but so far have not needed it since the first stages have all been something other than albergues. Cheers!

Take a multi-purpose hook in the shower with you. Just don't forget it in the 2nd albergue you stay in, like I did!
Oh, well. I am sure some other pilgrim made use of it!
Suction cup hook? If that was in Villamayor de Monjardîn last year, it served me well for several days and then "disappeared." :) But I never take anything abandoned when I'm walking: the pilgrim might come back for it. When hospitalero, though, and it is unclaimed for several days, I figure it's a freebie. Aparently others don't feel that way: I've lost two chargers and some medicines. One charger went with the last person out of the albergue (I was second-to-lost) and he didn't even wait the ten minutes it took for me to remember it and go back. Everything else, the staff said they hadn't seen the day after it "disappeared." Why would anyone steal thyroid hormone replacements?

Last edited:
Why, just have faith and trust your fellow pilgrims and leave all the worry at home. As I say if someone wants to steal they probably needed it more than me.
Well, there have been thefts, but I suspect they are rare. By the third day, most pilgrims are trying to decide what to throw away, not what else to add to their weight!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've stayed in albergues with only one free mains socket with multiple extension leads running off it. Maybe 20 mobile phones and other electronic stuff all charging away on the counter top. A sight to behold. No problems with theft on the Camino.

I carry a fold up ultralight backpack that weighs just a few grams. At all times I have my valuables on me in albergues. I would not trust every pilgrim you meet. I know a few people who have had stuff go missing.

I carry a fold up ultralight backpack that weighs just a few grams. At all times I have my valuables on me in albergues. I would not trust every pilgrim you meet. I know a few people who have had stuff go missing.
Yep. Either the albergue cleaners were lying or pilgrims took my battery charger, my iPhone charger, my toiletries bag, and TWICE, my thyroid medicine. That last one is really hard to believe! And this was three different albergues, different days.

However, I've almost never used a lock, and I've never had laptop, iPad, phone, or money stolen, in at least a couple of dozen hostels and albergues.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The few places with lockers include lock and key, so a padlock would be wasted weight,
We must have been staying different places then :confused:, because I've come across a few places, where I could have used a small padlock to lock the locker. Thinking back, they were private albergues.

I have also recently (last April, before embarking on the Inglés) read an official (online?) guide, that actually recommended bringing a small padlock o_O. I seem to remember that it was from the Galician Xunta or tourist office, but don't hang me up on that.

That said (written, actually ;)), I myself have no inclination towards dragging a padlock across Spain. I carry my valuables with me, even bathing, and that's that.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back