• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I bring a tent?

Anthony18

Time of past OR future Camino
Dear Camino fans, I'm planning to do my first camino in June of this year (2018). I was wondering the following:
  1. Is the CF really crowded at this time?
  2. If so, should I just bring a tent so I don't have to worry about not being able to stay an an albergue?
Many thanks to the creators, moderators and all who participate on this site and provide so much useful information for us greenhorns. Buen camino!

Anthony :cool:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wouldn't bother. I've walked twice during "busy" times, and never had a problem finding a bed. Last year in August after Sarria I did reserve most nights though.
You also don't need a sleeping pad "in case there are not beds and you have to sleep on the floor". I never saw that happen, and most of those shiny new sleeping pads were discarded after a week or two.

I wouldn't bother. I've walked twice during "busy" times, and never had a problem finding a bed. Last year in August after Sarria I did reserve most nights though.
You also don't need a sleeping pad "in case there are not beds and you have to sleep on the floor". I never saw that happen, and most of those shiny new sleeping pads were discarded after a week or two.
Thanks for the input Trecile! Good to know. Less stuff for me to carry and worry about. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The extra kg(s) will increase the risk of injury. Besides, the CF crowded enough and facilities good enough there is no way to pitch a tent without being caught.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dear Camino fans, I'm planning to do my first camino in June of this year (2018). I was wondering the following:
  1. Is the CF really crowded at this time?
  2. If so, should I just bring a tent so I don't have to worry about not being able to stay an an albergue?
Many thanks to the creators, moderators and all who participate on this site and provide so much useful information for us greenhorns. Buen camino!

Anthony :cool:
Have a look here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/tags/tent/

Hi Anthony,

Yeah, the Camino will be crowded, but you will find a lot of facilities. Don´t worry too much about the albergues ... you will always find something!! :)

With the tent you will have a lot of problems looking for a place to install it. If you were thibnking in the primitivo or a similar camino ... then the tent could be interesting (not bc you need it ... just as a different experience).

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Anthony,

I would suggest that whether or not you bring a tent NOT be based on the worry that there might not be beds.

The best answer to that question really depends on if you are the type of person that would enjoy sleeping in the tent and the labor that comes with it. Consider this situation: the albergues are all full, would you rather spend the night in a pension/hotel or in a tent? There are some pilgrims who in this situation would cozy up in the portico of the local church. There are other pilgrims who didn't even know the albergues were full because they went straight to a hotel. You fit somewhere on that spectrum.

I carried a tent during my first 4 caminos, back when there was no danger at all of overcrowding, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is the not-often-spoken-about alternative to noisy albergues. It is cost effective. If you are respectful of the land and the landowners then apart from the extra weight there is little downside.

There are many private albergues with a patch of land they don't mind sharing (not all mind you) and depending on where you set up you might also have the advantage of waking up in between peak pilgrim traffic for the day.

Ánimo!

I see a few "NOs" ....but,

I did the Frances, Ingles and Portuguese with my light weight tent. Purchased from REI.

When I did not want to stay inside, and that was often, I sat it up outside. Most of the time out back of the A'berg. Was nice having my "own place" and not hearing snoring, talking, rattling of bags at 4 am, etc.

A few times the A'berg was full but when told I had a tent I was welcomed to stay out back.

Few times on the grass. Few times under a covered area. Few times on the porch. and other places.

I paid the A'berg fee. Used shower. Washed clothes, etc.

It gave me the piece of mind that I had somewhere to sleep if needed. And could, if needed, even sleep in between two places/towns. Gave me flexibility most other walkers did not have. Avoided the "got to get there" feeling.

For all those who have come backs to me....just so you know when stealth camping: NO do not cook. NO fires. NO smoking. NO music. NO lights. Leave as found. NO tenting on private land. etc.

If it got to be too much of a hassle carrying it...I was going to donate it to some one.

Yes, was little extra weight. But I saw people carrying books, electronic devices, maps, you name it. In comparison my tent did not weight that much.

I DID NOT take any cooking devices.

Sleeping bag (light weight down -- compresses very small) and a pad.

Against all of the nay sayers... I say take your tent and enjoy.

Speaking of enjoying...I did spend a few nights at a nice place. To relax.
When I got to Santiago I stayed, as before, at the Hotel/Hostal Alfonso. Great place. Well worth it. You can find it on the net. Fills up fast. So make reservation as soon as you know when will be in Santiago.

If it doesn't work then ship it..donate it... or toss it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see a few "NOs" ....but,

I did the Frances, Ingles and Portuguese with my light weight tent. Purchased from REI.

When I did not want to stay inside, and that was often, I sat it up outside. Most of the time out back of the A'berg. Was nice having my "own place" and not hearing snoring, talking, rattling of bags at 4 am, etc.

A few times the A'berg was full but when told I had a tent I was welcomed to stay out back.

Few times on the grass. Few times under a covered area. Few times on the porch. and other places.

I paid the A'berg fee. Used shower. Washed clothes, etc.

It gave me the piece of mind that I had somewhere to sleep if needed. And could, if needed, even sleep in between two places/towns. Gave me flexibility most other walkers did not have. Avoided the "got to get there" feeling.

For all those who have come backs to me....just so you know when stealth camping: NO do not cook. NO fires. NO smoking. NO music. NO lights. Leave as found. NO tenting on private land. etc.

If it got to be too much of a hassle carrying it...I was going to donate it to some one.

Yes, was little extra weight. But I saw people carrying books, electronic devices, maps, you name it. In comparison my tent did not weight that much.

I DID NOT take any cooking devices.

Sleeping bag (light weight down -- compresses very small) and a pad.

Against all of the nay sayers... I say take your tent and enjoy.

Speaking of enjoying...I did spend a few nights at a nice place. To relax.
When I got to Santiago I stayed, as before, at the Hotel/Hostal Alfonso. Great place. Well worth it. You can find it on the net. Fills up fast. So make reservation as soon as you know when will be in Santiago.

If it doesn't work then ship it..donate it... or toss it.
Excellent and informative reply martyseville! That's my mindset. I like to be prepared, that way, I can focus on the sights and sounds of the camino. The last thing I want is to walk 15 or so miles and then, while tired, deal with where I'm shacking up.
Thanks Ivar! :cool:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I saw the question I thought to myself, “Those who don’t tent will say no and those who have taken one will say yes”!

When I saw the question I thought to myself, “Those who don’t tent will say no and those who have taken one will say yes”!

Almost correct.
I know people who have taken a tent and say NO now.
And people who have taken a tent and say YES.

Echoing what other people have said - if you are the kind of person who has wild camped before, enjoy the experience, know how to campy subtly with minimal environmental impact and you're ok with it not being 100% legal, go for it (I had some beautiful and not so beautiful experiences). For 95% + (?) of people walking the camino a tent is totally necessary weight and you can always find a bed.

You can always sleep outside with no tent in the weather is good.

Judging by your forum pic you look young and fit and I doubt you'll have any issues. No doubt you'll bump into people walking with crutches and other impediments. If you get somewhere and it's full just think about them and walking the extra 2/3 miles to the next place really wont seem like such a big deal!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I took a tent on the Norte and is was not worth the weight.

Echoing what other people have said - if you are the kind of person who has wild camped before, enjoy the experience, know how to campy subtly with minimal environmental impact and you're ok with it not being 100% legal, go for it (I had some beautiful and not so beautiful experiences). For 95% + (?) of people walking the camino a tent is totally necessary weight and you can always find a bed.

You can always sleep outside with no tent in the weather is good.

Judging by your forum pic you look young and fit and I doubt you'll have any issues. No doubt you'll bump into people walking with crutches and other impediments. If you get somewhere and it's full just think about them and walking the extra 2/3 miles to the next place really wont seem like such a big deal!
Good point. I think I'll bring it just so I'm never concerned about where I'm shacking up when the day is done. Thanks for replying. :cool:

Antny...if you’re willing to take a tent “just in case” what other items in that category are in your pack? This is not wilderness camping. Tents: weigh more than “0”, hold water when wet, are known to be set up in fields where cattle and sheep traverse (peweu). If you have to stay outside a full albergue and it’s nice out...enjoy the stars. If inclement weather most albergue will allow you to sleep on the floor.
Buen Camino
Arn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Antny...if you’re willing to take a tent “just in case” what other items in that category are in your pack? This is not wilderness camping. Tents: weigh more than “0”, hold water when wet, are known to be set up in fields where cattle and sheep traverse (peweu). If you have to stay outside a full albergue and it’s nice out...enjoy the stars. If inclement weather most albergue will allow you to sleep on the floor.
Buen Camino
Arn
Thanks for chiming in. Good points to consider. :cool:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I walked the Primitivo last year, there were a couple of young men who appeared to be friends who were wild camping. I saw them two other times later on sleeping on the porches (porticos) of village churches that had roofs covering them. I wondered if it was acceptable to do this according to the Church, or not. With so many of the smaller churches along the Camino built with these semi enclosed areas near the entrance, I wondered if that was their intended purpose all along to offer a place for pilgrims to sleep. Anyone know?

If tenting is a preference, minimize weight by considering a tarp over a tent. Silnylon seems to offer a good balance between weight and price. Another thought is an army poncho that can be used as a tent and a rain poncho. Finally, there are some very light bivies. Much to choose from.

Personally, I can recommend Henry Shires TarpTents from the USA, over all others. But Natirehike (China) does have some inexpensive options.

Last edited:
If tenting is a preference, minimize weight by considering a tarp over a tent. Silnylon seems to offer a good balance between weight and proe. Another thought is an army poncho that can be used as a tent and a rain poncho. Filanny, there are some very light bivies. Much to choose from.

Personally, I can recommend Henry Shires TarpTents from the USA, over all others. But Natirehike (China) does have some inexpensive options.
Thanks Michelle! I'll definitely appreciate your advice. :cool:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Did meet a few hardy souls sleeping rough in a sleeping bag without tent, tarp or shelter, including one delightful young fellow. He was cocooned in his sleeping one morning, not that early, and I was taking a totally anonymous photo of him (always good to have a reminder of the need to be grateful) when he woke up and stuck his head out of his sleeping bag. I thought he might get angry even though the photo was literally of a sleeping bag but he just looked at me and gave me the most beautific smile. I’m a slow walker and when he caught up with me later that morning we had a nice chat and walked together for some time before he reverted to his normal pace and disappeared into the distance. He was walking the camino on a minimal amount of money and sleeping out was the norm for him. He did have a good sleeping bag and he slept in it like a silk worm to keep warm but it is obviously do-able.
PS. Keep in mind that churches may have steeples with bells (or recordings of bells) that ring in the hour on the hour and sometimes the half hour and sometimes even the quarter hour. :rolleyes::)

I am taking my TarpTent Notch along with me on my Camino. I also have the TT Moment if more room is needed and and for late season camping. I did have the TT Contrail and used that a lot but the front entrance was not for me. Nearly always use the Notch

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back