• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I buy train ticket in advance?

tohams

Should I buy my train ticket from Paris to SJPdP in advance? I need the train departing on 9/26/09. It looks like it's $167 for the Freedom Flexible 2nd Class ticket on the RailEurope site for the overnite train to Bayonne. I figure the Freedom ticket gives me a sleeping berth to (try to) sleep on.

Questions:
1) Does it get more expensive if I wait?
2) Is it cheaper to buy in person (vs. online)?
3) Is there risk of it selling out?

Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is an ticket for the 26 of September for 68.60 Euros, a night train leaving at 23.10 from Paris Austerlitz with a change in Bayonne, arriving at 09.37 in SJPP. You can buy it here http://www.tgv.com/FR/.

The French trains are very comfortable, you might be able to sleep some on the seat booked for you. I bought my ticket in advance just to be sure I got on the train the day I wanted. But I have read on this site that many oversea travellers just buy their tickets in Paris at the railway station. Be sure that you got to the right railway station - either Austerlitz or Montparnasse.
buen camino annie

tohams said:
1) Does it get more expensive if I wait?
2) Is it cheaper to buy in person (vs. online)?
3) Is there risk of it selling out?

1) Yes - always best to buy as far in advance as possible, booking usually possible 3 months in advance (France seems to be 13 weeks, whereas UK is 12 weeks)
2) No, see above
3) Again, better to buy in advance for cheapness, but you can probably get a ticket in late September on the day, especially if you are prepared to be flexible as to which train.

See http://www.seat61,com for loads of useful advice re train travel ANYWHERE in the world!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
anniethenurse said:
There is an ticket for the 26 of September for 68.60 Euros, a night train leaving at 23.10 from Paris Austerlitz with a change in Bayonne, arriving at 09.37 in SJPP. You can buy it here http://www.tgv.com/FR/.
I tried going there and it redirected me to the RailEurope.com site where the ticket is $167, which is like 117.5 euros. Any idea why such a big price difference? Is it because I'm trying to buy it in the US?

I think it might be - look up recent thread Paris to Bayonne, in Camino del Norte sub forum.

Raileurope.co.uk offers me £66.00 for that journey getting in at 9 ish the next morning which is more than Anniethenurse from Sweden! For leaving in the morning of 26 Sept it was about £52.

It's a mystery!

Do you know anyone over this side of the 'pond' who could buy the ticket for you?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 66 GBP requires a UK billing address. What's up with that??? I have a friend there that can buy it for me, but will they give me grief when I try to use the e-ticket? Like asking for the credit card it was purchased on for verification? Or a UK passport?

I found the same thing when trying to use the US site. I even called to ask why the difference in price and the woman on the phone dropped the price $100 but it was still much more than the UK price. I finally bought it through the Swiss site which means I have to pick my train ticket up at Rail Europe Boutique when I arrive in Geneva. I assumed Rail Europe Boutique would be at the train station so it would be easy enough but no, it is several minutes away. I also have to pay for picking it up there but not very much. It was worth it in that I was able to reserve a couchette on an overnight train for $105 instead of the $278 or whatever it was on the US site.
I believe you can buy the ticket through another site and pick it up at the train station in France.
It does get very frustrating and confusing with the different sites and prices for the exact same train and seat.

Melinda

It looks like I can do an e-Ticket on the UK site anyway. It's considerably cheaper (though not as cheap as the French site). But again, need a UK billing address, which I think I can pull off. Anyone ever done this? Have someone use the UK site to purchase an e-Ticket for the train and just use it at the station without hassle?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I believe someone on this forum said it is possible to do an e-ticket and pick the train ticket up in France. I did an e-ticket through the Swiss site (since I would be flying into Geneva and taking the train from there) by clicking Switzerland as the country instead of US so it took me to the Swiss site. Since it was an e-ticket I didn't have to give an address. I would think you would be able to do the same thing and click France for the country and pick the ticket up in Paris.
I still do not understand why tickets should have such a difference in price for different countries.

When I read eTicket on the site, I assumed it was going to let me print my own ticket and that I wouldn't have to pick one up anywhere.

I was able to print out my ticket but still have to pick it up in Geneva. I also have to pay a little for picking it up there. I guess there are two choices, picking it up after buying an e-ticket or having it mailed to you.
I am no expert on this so I hope someone will set me straight if I am wrong.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is wierd how many prices we get on the same ticket in the same train the same time. I checked out this site http://www.sncf.fr/ which is the French site and booked a ticket and went all the way to the point where I had to print my credit card number (VISA, MasterCard etc) and it looked like it would work out and I would be able to pick up my ticket (while in the railway station in Paris) in an automatic ticket machine with the bank card I used for the payment. Two other options were available, too but I didn´t really understand the French language enough to know what they meant.

On this site http://www.tgv-europe.com/ the same information but in English. The confirmation is by e- mail, don´t need an adress as far as I can see it. Collect your ticket from an automatic ticket machine using your credit card Or get the tickets SEND HOME FREE BY POST (in my case Sweden, would take 7 days).

The cheapest ticket the 26th of September is 48.40 € (the morning train) and the night train at 23.10 is 68.60 € on the both sites.

I hope you guys get your tickets and do not pay too much for them.

I love trains and travelling through France from Paris to Saint Jean Pied de Port or Irun is just fantastic.

Buen camino guys!
annie

OK, unlike the UK site, the French site let me buy the ticket. Of course, I don't speak French and that took me a while and I think I'm going to where I need to be going...

68.60 Euros it cost me.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Glad you were able to buy it. I bet you were a little nervous though before you pushed the buy button. I know I was checking and double checking dates, times, places so as not to make a mistake.
Now that it is done you can relax.
Melinda

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
well done Thomas!
buen camino annie :D

When you collect a French sncf ticket, bought online, you have to present the card you used to pay for it.... so don't leave that one at home! :wink:

Br. David said:
When you collect a French sncf ticket, bought online, you have to present the card you used to pay for it.... so don't leave that one at home! :wink:
I saw that. It's the primary card that I use anyway. So I'll bring it with and I'll call them in advance to let them know that I'll be using the card overseas and not to cancel it. :)

Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
WolverineDG said:
Thomas, can you walk me through that step by step?
Sure...I'll try. I'll put it on here in case anyone else reads this in the future having the same issue:
1) http://www.voyages-sncf.com/
2) Leaving from Paris
Arriving in St-Jean-Pied-de-Port
Departing on the appropriate day
2nd Class
Any time (there’s only one overnight train)
3) Hit the search ("rechercher") button
4) Scroll all the way down…it’s the one that leaves at 23h10.
5) Pick the Web Special option. "Billet non échangeable et non remboursable." is NOT exchangeable but cheaper than "Billet échangeable et remboursable." I didn't have the non-refundable option.
6) You'll see a "Choisir votre placement." This is whether you want a sleeping berth or a reclining seat. It's up to you. Obviously, the berth is more expensive.
7) "Niveau de Couchette" is which level of bunk you want to sleep on...top to bottom (or definitely bottom).
8) Choose "Compartiment dame seule" if you want a compartment that's only for ladies (and you are one!)
9) Click "Valider cet aller" to continue.
10) The next page really only has one option: travelers' insurance in case the train is late, loses your luggage, etc.
11) "Valider votre reservation" will take you to the next page
12) Pick the "Borne libre Service" option to pick up your ticket at a kiosk at the station using the credit card used to make the purchase.
13) Enter your contact info ("Nom" is last name, "Prenom" is first name)
14) Agree to the terms and conditions
15) Click "Valider votre commande"
16) Put in your credit card info

I think it's self explanatory from here...

Good luck!

DISCLAIMER: I took a little French over 20 years ago in high school...so no guarantees on my guesses...I may have booked myself on a train to a Siberian labor camp instead of SJPdP.

Hey Thomas, thanks! I'm kinda sorta functionally illiterate in French, so I can probably get through it. And yes, I am female, but the jury's still out on the "Lady" part. ;) Okay, off to take the plunge!

Kelly

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
tohams said:
12) Pick the "Borne libre Service" option to pick up your ticket at a kiosk at the station using the credit card used to make the purchase.

Thomas
I am fluent in French and I think you've nailed it, except for no 12.

You cannot get your ticket from the ''borne libre service'' if you are using a foreign credit card equipped with a magnetic band or if you're using an American Express card. If that's the case, you must claim your ticket from an SNCF counter.

You should have a note to that effect on your confirmation.

Have a pleasant trip.

cheers
Jean-Marc

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back