• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I do a Camino Course beforehand??

Deanna

Deanna
Time of past OR future Camino
First time pilgrim - Plan to do the French Way in June/July 2014
Thankyou Camino friends. I already feel part of the community. One question. A group in Australia are offering a one day course on the Camino.
I was wondering if I should do this or is this just over analysing the whole trip and making it a normal holiday you plan. I am travelling on my own on the French Way starting mid June.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I really don't think this is necessary - especially as you've found this forum! One thing you'll notice as you browse the posts is how opinions about just about everything vary widely between individuals, so there are some things you can't really teach or be taught.

I don't want to completely dismiss this type of thing because some people need reassurance, (and it's also a big financial investment for you guys down under), but bring yourself and your common sense and you'll do fine. Buen Camino!

Not necessary in my view, but might be fun. You can get all the info you need from a guide book and this forum.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yikes, that looks way too expensive and unnecessary. Find one person where you live (through this forum maybe) and have a nice dinner out with a glass of wine and take notes!

I haven't been in NZ and I can't really estimate the cultural distance to europe which is felt in NZ. I therefor also don't know how important it is to get reassurrance.
Having said that; I am shocked that this kind of infomation is sold in such a commercial way. I don't know any other way then that there are groups of pilgrims in any country who are happy to share their experience, the same as is happening through this forum. This just because of interpersonal interaction.
I can just agree with what's said before in this thread: this forum can give a more complete picture, bring common sense and have a coffee with Kanga. You'll be fine.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Except Kanga is in Sydney...and the OP is in Melbourne (where did NZ come from?!)

I do think a lot of people go under prepared and so I respect the desire to go on a course. I do think that reading guidebooks, reading this forum and then asking questions will be sufficient. And yes, if you can meet someone face to face then by all means, do so.

As has been mentioned, there is no one way about this, opinions and experiences are varied. What works for one won't for another. Your biggest challenge will be finding what works for you. Starting off with equipment. Start now! Buy now and walk in it now. Sort out your footwear and blister prevention/remedies now. That's the best advice I can give.

Hola Deanna
... I already feel part of the community.....should do this ... I am travelling on my own ....
Glad you feel part of the community, that's part of the purpose of this forum.
I definitely don't feel it is necessary to do the course, although I have met one person who did a similar course and she said she enjoyed it OK.
I'm also fairly certain you wont be travelling alone for long.
Even if you don't get to meet up with anyone in Melbourne for coffee, other forum members will be able to help you with most information you will need for your Camino planning.
Buen Camino
Colin

Gosh, wish I'd thought of that. Cool way to make a bit of beer money. You can really find all you need here to prepare then through experience on the Way.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And if you don't find anybody for a 'real life chat' here on the forum, the CSJ has here http://www.csj.org.uk/australia.htm#mel information about the different Australian pilgrims associations, some of them will offer 'pilgrim preparation days' for free or very low cost. Buen Camino! SY

Hi Deanna, if you do this course I'd be interested to know what
  1. "very specific Spanish language terminology ..... should be known before undertaking the journey."
    The most important thing to know is that our summer is your winter.

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I actually bought the course book and read through it - it's interesting but nothing beats talking to people who have already done the course - in Sydney we have a get together once a month where you can ask almost anything you want - the best thing is to just ask questions and be open to the answers and as has been said before it's your camino and each camino is unique

" Certain practical exercises will teach participants to figuratively «walk the Camino» & as a result will gain a deep understanding & appreciation as to the physical challenges involved in such an undertaking."

I'd love to know what these practical exercises are, do you think he takes you on a route march around town, or puts you all on a treadmill? How can he give you a deep understanding in one day of the physical challenges? Maybe you have to walk on the treadmill the whole day while he teaches........

Vicrev I am sure you must know.......?

Hi Deanna
Well here's a contrary opinion - and from NZ no less...!!

I did the day with Marc a couple of years ago in Auckland, and I found it most interesting, helpful + I was pleased with the value for money - admittedly this was from a low base of my personal knowledge and experience; it's helpful to be able to speak face-to-face, so prepare some questions in advance; his maps are good too

Since then I have found this Forum, which has also been very useful, instructive, and mostly useful in its practical advice - even inspiring at times as well

Last year I took the plunge - I walked part of the GR65 in France from Le Puy to Moissac/400km over July/August

I cannot say which specific bits of info from which source were of the best or the most immediate use

BUT - more knowledge is better, surely...?

Ultreia
Buen camino
Stephen in NZ

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Deanna, I know well the course and the couple who run it and I have their booklet (which I bought for the sake of curiosity). Last year the cost was $175 for the day. I haven't done the course but some of those I have talked to who have are generally unhappy with it. As everyone has said, you will get lots of info about the camino here on this forum. Also it is reassuring to be able to talk to others who have walked the various caminos before you leave. I know that there is an informal group in your city but at this stage I do not know the contact, but I am endeavouring to find out and will post the info when I have it. David

I attended this course in NZ 12 months before walking the Camino and found it very useful. Maybe this is because there is very little information about the Camino here in NZ. If nothing else it gave me reassurance and had many practical suggestions. I also made a good friend at the course and we have helped each other since and remain in contact. My one reservation is there seems to be some sponsorship that was not acknowledged and certain brands were rubbished and others promoted, and I found out for myself that some of these brands did not live up to my expectations. I also purchased a map book showing the route and recommended albergues. the maps were useless but the albergue information was excellent. If you have the money and the time I would say it is worthwhile. i suspect that Marc who runs the course does not make much of a living from it and he conducts it with good intent and passion.

Among English speaking pilgrims, New Zealand is second only to Ireland in the number of pilgrims per capita. You should have a fairly easy time of seeking out some of them for getting first hand knowledge. Very few of them will ask for a fee for a meeting!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did Marc's course and it was very good. I am glad I did it
This forum is informative but nothing beats face to face communication
Having said that if you can talk to people who have walked the camino it is not necessary If not do it . Marc is very professional

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

I really don't think this is necessary - especially as you've found this forum! One thing you'll notice as you browse the posts is how opinions about just about everything vary widely between individuals, so there are some things you can't really teach or be taught.

I don't want to completely dismiss this type of thing because some people need reassurance, (and it's also a big financial investment for you guys down under), but bring yourself and your common sense and you'll do fine. Buen Camino!
I find myself agreeing with Tyrrek here.....I also know that a lot of people need reassurance, but, to spend the sort of money that this course requires, $185.00 Aust. Dollars for a 7 hour intensive workshop, is to my mind, outrageous. As Tyrrek points out, now that you have found your way to this forum, you will learn all and more than this course is offering you.....just my humble opinion here..

Deanna:

See, I told you the forum would help you...:)

The bottom line appears to be to save your money. This is not intended as an editorial against this or any other preparatory class. Do your research here. Learn everything you can. We are all here to try to help - as you can already see. Perhaps, try to read a few books written by Pilgrims. Then, use any money saved to gear-up or while on your Camino.

As you live "down under," visit https://www.amazon.com.au/?tag=casaivar02-20 and search for "Camino de Santiago." I think you will find just about everything there.

Many of the books are also available in Kindle format. So, as you will read often hear, these books "weigh practically nothing... ROFLMAO..." The joke is that a lot of "it weighs practically nothing" eventually ends up weighing 10 kilos or more.

It is like the old adage coined by the American philosopher/politician/inventor, Benjamin Franklin: "save your pennies and pretty soon you will have dollars..." This basic phrase has been purloined often since. But in the Camino incarnation it means that add a gram here and a gram there, and pretty soon you are carrying extra kilos of deadweight. I do speak from first-hand experience in this.

However, in this age of electronic books, the adage is not true. So, once you make the basic decision to bring your Smart Phone or Kindle, the electronic books, do in fact weigh nothing.

Yes, you can buy a Spanish SIM card, micro-SIM or Nano-SIM for your phone in Spain to save a lot on overseas costs. Use the search feature at the top of the page to check the Forum for more on "mobile phones."

If you do not have a Kindle reader, the Apple iTunes App store has the free iPhone / iPod / iPad app from Kindle to be able to read Kindle books on your iPhone / iPod or iPad. One presumes the same sort of app exists for Android powered Smart Phones.

One of the better books (IMHO), that many people (including moi) have read is written by SYates, of Forum fame...see the thread above. I believe the title is in her signature. You can even send her a message to ask about it. I am sure she would reply. I do - always. She is a very experienced pilgrim who writes simply and provides a wealth of information. I recommend the electronic Kindle edition. One other book you might consider is "Camino de Santiago - Practical Preparation and Background " by Gerald Kelly. I believe it is only available as a Kindle download. I found both books very good, even if I did read them AFTER my first Camino.

I hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is like the old adage coined by the American philosopher/politician/inventor, Benjamin Franklin: "save your pennies and pretty soon you will have dollars..." This basic phrase has been purloined often since.
Oh dear! Accusing others of purloining a proverb that Franklin himself purloined is an interesting twist. The text 'a penny saved is twopence clear', which is from the 1737 version of Franklin’s Poor Richard’s Almanack, is a variation of a much earlier version by George Herbert first published around 1640. Like many great men, Franklin stood on the shoulders of others.

No.

You don't need that course.

I posted a more colorful statement but the moderators wisely removed it. I'll just quote a few viewpoints I agree with:

I am shocked that this kind of infomation is sold in such a commercial way

$185.00 Aust. Dollars for a 7 hour intensive workshop, is to my mind, outrageous

Yikes, that looks way too expensive and unnecessary

I really don't think this is necessary - especially as you've found this forum!

You'll have a great trip. Save your money and buy Ivar a nice dinner in Santiago!

One of the better books (IMHO), that many people (including moi) have read is written by SYates, of Forum fame...see the thread above. I believe the title is in her signature. You can even send her a message to ask about it. I am sure she would reply. I do - always. She is a very experienced pilgrim who writes simply and provides a wealth of information. I recommend the electronic Kindle edition. One other book you might consider is "Camino de Santiago - Practical Preparation and Background " by Gerald Kelly. I believe it is only available as a Kindle download. I found both books very good, even if I did read them AFTER my first Camino.
I hope this helps.

*Blush* I haven't been much on the forum lately and it is a really nice surprise to read this recommendation - !Muchas gracias! I certainly answer to questions via PM and also email (my website has a contact form). !Buen Camino! SY

PS Any outstanding PMs will be answered shortly, life got a bit in the way over Christmas / New Year ...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh dear! Accusing others of purloining a proverb that Franklin himself purloined is an interesting twist. The text 'a penny saved is twopence clear', which is from the 1737 version of Franklin’s Poor Richard’s Almanack, is a variation of a much earlier version by George Herbert first published around 1640. Like many great men, Franklin stood on the shoulders of others.

Touche! As is customary, I defer to your superior knowledge and research Doug. I was taught that adage in school as a young lad, and it appears in the "Farmer's Almanac" a domestic annual publication containing weather prognostication, advice, and all sorts of colonial lore... The next time I am included to quote anyone, I shall certainly, at least, run a Google search on the phrase.

Thank you for the correction.;)

Deana, I found reading pilgrim's stories very helpful and fun. One book taught me a lot about what not to do! That pilgrim did not train ahead of time, did not interact with other pilgrims about helpful hints regarding blisters, etc. refused to use trekking poles until several falls had occurred, etc.
My reading has all been in English and as suggested above Amazon was a good source but also I recommend checking out a source for downloadable books called Smashwords. You can download to your computer or any type of reader.
Also I have read about the inner journey as well as the outer journey.
Good luck with your research!
Stefania

Thankyou Camino friends. I already feel part of the community. One question. A group in Australia are offering a one day course on the Camino.
I was wondering if I should do this or is this just over analysing the whole trip and making it a normal holiday you plan. I am travelling on my own on the French Way starting mid June.

Is it free? I know there are pilgrims in Portland who offer workshops or talks on the Camino and they are free. In that case, yes! Go by all means.

Does it cost money? In that case, these are my thoughts:

Positives: I know who is offering this course and she is a wonderful pilgrim with a LOT of valuable experience! If you go, you will get to know other pilgrims, hear their helpful experiences face to face, perhaps get some encouragement, can ask specific questions about your fears, SEE them in person (they survived!), begin feeling like a part of a great community, make new walking friends.

Negatives: The only negative I see is that you would spend money you could spend on the Camino

If it costs more than you can afford, you will do fine without it.
If it costs more than you can afford, and you really WANT to go, consider calling and asking if they offer scholarships.
You might be able to help out in exchange for attending.

If it costs $$ and you CAN afford it, I'd say go and have a great time!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
From her other similar post: (Link to commercial site edited.)
She has not returned since she posted this thread, so all the informative answers are currently unread by her...

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What did P.T. Barnum say?

Answer to Phillypilgrim: "A sucker is born every minute."

I'm glad I did not do this type of course. That would have come close to ruining my experience because I love the mystery that awaits around every corner and hill. It's like many other travel adventures, once you get there all things become apparent. Every bit of walking and/or travel I do has a spiritual element, the Camino more so. Just go and let the wonders unfold for you.

Added: I just checked the course she's thinking of taking. $185!!! Good grief. Run fast.

Barnum is reputed to have said something quite rude about gullible people and the frequency of their births. My mentor, W C Fields version was that one such "should never be given an even break". I think both sentiments are inappropriate in this context. If honest pilgrims are seeking to make an honest living from other pilgrims, who have a choice as to how they are separated from their funds, then Barnum most certainly does not pertain. If there was a less honest man in England at the time he could only have been in government. :p:p

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am a little surprised by the responses to this, especially from those of you from that paragon of the free enterprise spirit - the United States. If someone is offering a service and people want to take it up at the price, I see no difficulty with that. Suggesting to the OP that similar information can be obtained here is one thing, pillorying the course and its provider is another. If you were going to be consistent about that, you would include everyone who has published a book on the camino and offered it for retail sale. It is functionally no different - charging for the author's unique knowledge. The scale of the charge is irrelevant.

I would also suggest that some of you would benefit from researching the real world costs of delivering small group seminars. The Canberra Friends of the Camino de Santiago runs its meetings in a facility provided gratis for us by the Spanish-Australian Club and talks are provided by a core group of the founding members and visiting speakers who also offer their services gratis. The three founding members would individually attract around $200/hr or more if charged out on commercial rates. I estimate that the opportunity costs to the club and individuals to run a 2 hour meeting would be around $1500-1600. We don't charge for meetings - it is something done to give forwards to future pilgrims.

If we were to run commercial seminars, and have to pay for the services we currently obtain for free, I would expect we would only begin to break even with more than ten attendees at the prices being charged for the Sydney seminars. Even then, we would need to severely discount the charge out rates for the individual who would run the seminar.

Regards,

I am a little surprised by the responses to this, especially from those of you from that paragon of the free enterprise spirit - the United States. If someone is offering a service and people want to take it up at the price, I see no difficulty with that.
Regards,

I agree 100%.
I meet a lot of people who are afraid to walk, who don't understand the internet and so can't read sites like this one, or who just learn better in person.
Whether they spend $50 a month for internet or a couple of hundred for a class… ::shrug::
It's up to the individual.

If there were not a market, there would not be a workshop.
I could think of worse things to do with money.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It seems to me they are taking advantage of people's insecurities. The mere existence of the course suggests it is something they really need, and insecure people end up forking over $185 when all they needed was a few people to tell them, relax, you'll have a great time out there.

It seems to me they are taking advantage of people's insecurities. The mere existence of the course suggests it is something they really need, and insecure people end up forking over $185 when all they needed was a few people to tell them, relax, you'll have a great time out there.
I think this is drawing a long bow over the matter. It is a mean interpretation of a commercial offering completely unjustified in my view by the facts.

Was this necessary?

"especially from those of you from that paragon of the free enterprise spirit - the United States."

Bill

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Deanna,

No.

We'll answer all the questions you have and many you never thought to ask. Free.

You will do the same when you return from your own journey. Surely

You won't be traveling on your own. Promise.

Trust in the arrows,
Simeon

I'd guess its my comment about P.T. Barnum that has stirred the pot and changed the tone of this discussion. My apologies for having caused offense.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Personal remarks directed toward other members are bringing this thread to a close soon.
All sides have made their opinions quite clear. Thanks for the input, now let the OP decide for herself.
I hope that she comes back to let us know what she has decided. And let's support her either way.

Hello Deanna,
I can't help adding my two cents worth. I don't know anything at all about the course you are referring to but I do know you don't NEED it. You may WANT it and if you do there's nothing wrong with that.
The first time I walked the camino (at age 59 in 2003) I knew nothing about what I was getting into...the expression 'fools rush in where angels fear to tread' comes to mind. But in spite of that it all worked out and I remember that camino as a much more significant experience than any camino since (all of which I loved). It's true I didn't always know what to do, that I wasn't prepared, that I sometimes cried and many times laughed, I was completely unprepared for the generosity and friendship of the 'camino community' as well as of the local communities. It was a difficult and completely glorious experience on many levels. I could have failed, I could have gotten lost (and did- but someone always helped me back to the path) and I suppose I could have gotten hurt. But I didn't and it was wonderful!
It's my opinion that there is much lost in the 'over-analysis' as you call it, although it does make us feel safer and more in control. What you choose to do will be the best thing for you. If you need to err on the side of comfort and safety do that. It really doesn't matter. No matter how much planning, talking, taking courses or not that you do, your experience will likely be quite different from what you expect and certainly different from anyone else's. You will have lots of company in June and there will always be someone who knows what to do and will be willing to keep you company or give you a hand if you need one.
Have a wonderful camino!!

I don't know if it's paid or not, but in my humble opinion, don't take it. Just let it flow. Go for a dinner and listen to people experiences. Browse this and other foruns about it.

Best Regards
Diogo

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I haven't been in NZ and I can't really estimate the cultural distance to europe which is felt in NZ. I therefor also don't know how important it is to get reassurrance.
Having said that; I am shocked that this kind of infomation is sold in such a commercial way. I don't know any other way then that there are groups of pilgrims in any country who are happy to share their experience, the same as is happening through this forum. This just because of interpersonal interaction.
I can just agree with what's said before in this thread: this forum can give a more complete picture, bring common sense and have a coffee with Kanga. You'll be fine.

What if I tell you that this also happens here in Europe? There is a case here in Portugal, of people that charge you 120€ to take a weekend course, in "How to be a Pilgrim Guide on Caminho de Fatima". And there are people who fall into it, and spend the money just to learn how to paint blue arrows, because all the other things that they teach are common sense. Besides that, it's not even certified.

Best Regards
Diogo

What if I tell you that this also happens here in Europe? There is a case here in Portugal, of people that charge you 120€ to take a weekend course, in "How to be a Pilgrim Guide on Caminho de Fatima". And there are people who fall into it, and spend the money just to learn how to paint blue arrows, because all the other things that they teach are common sense.
I don't know anything about guides for pilgrims, especially not the camino to Fatima. So can't and don't say anything about it.

I don't know anything about guides for pilgrims, especially not the camino to Fatima. So can't and don't say anything about it.

It's a way of making money, that's what it is. And the Caminho de Fatima it's so well marked, that you don't even need a guide. And worst, most guides take the most fast way to reach there, walking on tarmac.

Best Regards
Diogo

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm free! Available for coffee anytime....
Thanks kanga. Where do you live? I am doing it on my own in June so don't know if doing the course will give me that little extra comfort or just spoil it

Hi camino friends
Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas.

I have decided not to do it. Not because of the money, not because of the overwhelming "NO Don't do it" from most of you.

I want it to be my experience, not someone else's. I know there will be good and bad but that is part of the way.....

Hola Deanna - in Sydney we have a group called the "Pilgrims in Sydney"; I am reasonably sure there is a branch in Melbourne - hopefully someone will post an advice. These groups offer lots of useful information; mainly the do's and don'ts. About the only thing I would recommend is - learn as much Spanish as you can, it does help; do the training - again this will help, especially during the first 7-10 days as you get used to the Way; pack only the really bare essentials - less than 10kg or 10% of your body weight which ever is the lighter. Feel free to come back with more questions once you have read the rest of the forum pages. Buen Camino;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Hi. I did a 4hr CAE overview of the Camino in Melbourne and found it very useful. I'm travelling alone starting in April and am a bit anxious .

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back