• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I get a smaller pack?

Katie G

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Sept 2018)
Hello!

I'm doing some very early research for my Sept '18 Camino! I already own a 45+10L backpacking pack (https://www.rei.com/product/880684/deuter-act-lite-45-10-sl-pack-womens) which was fitted to me and I've used while backpacking. Clearly, I don't need to take 45L worth of gear on the Camino but as I already have this pack, I'd like to know if I should take it (and only fill it with what I need) or if I should look for a smaller pack. The current pack is approx. 3lbs 12oz on its own.

If I should start looking for a smaller pack, any tips in re: to brand, how it opens (from the top or a full down the front zip), etc.?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Katie, welcome to the forum. You are absolutely correct that a 45 L pack is way too big. But if it is comfortable and if you can resist the urge to fill it, it might be better to go with the known rather than try something knew. I have walked for 17 years with the same Mountainsmith Ghost pack. It is also way too big, but it has a great internal frame and belting system, and it only weighs 2.1 pounds, so I have just stuck with it. I am not tempted to fill it up, so it is just strapped more tightly. Your Deuter is a bit heavy, though, so it may be worth it to save a few pounds by getting a smaller pack. Unless you love it!!!

Hello!

I'm doing some very early research for my Sept '18 Camino! I already own a 45+10L backpacking pack (https://www.rei.com/product/880684/deuter-act-lite-45-10-sl-pack-womens) which was fitted to me and I've used while backpacking. Clearly, I don't need to take 45L worth of gear on the Camino but as I already have this pack, I'd like to know if I should take it (and only fill it with what I need) or if I should look for a smaller pack. The current pack is approx. 3lbs 12oz on its own.

If I should start looking for a smaller pack, any tips in re: to brand, how it opens (from the top or a full down the front zip), etc.?

I don't believe that a comfartably fitting pack becomes useless due to being a larger volume size than is needed. I do think, though, that saving weight, if one can afford the expense of a right-sized backpack for a trip like the Camino can be a good thing. For example, Gossamer Gear has a big sale going on for 'Black Friday', and their "Gorilla" ultralight pack is on sale for a huge discount.

I have used the Gorilla for wilderness backpacking trips of 5-7 days in length, and it is rugged and extremely comfortable. I use the Gossamer Gear Mariposa for longer trips, although I did use it for my Camino with my son ( he used the Gorilla). It weighs under two pounds, is very water-resistant (it can be waterproof if one seals the seams with a seam sealer).
https://www.gossamergear.com/products/gorilla-ultralight-backpack-all-bundle

I also like ULA packs, the Ohm being a good size for Camino, especially when you are able to pack light. Again, tough and ultralight.
https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/ohm-2-0/

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Katie and welcome!
Like @peregrina2000 I think your pack is a bit on the heavy side... Otherwise, the size doesn't matter (in my opinion...) as you don't have to fill it of course. My own pack is also too big (Osprey Exos 48) but has the advantage of only weighing 1kg.
If I were you I would fill my pack with everything you need for your camino and see how it feels. It really too heavy, then you could consider (finances permitting) buying a lighter one....
I aim for 5kg max for a Summer camino (without water or food) but I know lots of people carry more with no ill effects....

Last edited:
Welcome! Good question that only you can answer in the end. However, there is some good discussion on a couple of current threads, that might help you - this one about size and this one about fitting tips.

If you try the Search box in the upper right, you'll find opinions about all the details of backpacks!

The Deuter packs are notorious for being bulletproof and, as a consequence, twice as heavy as necessary. You can easily shed 1.5 pounds, or even more, just with a different pack. At the end of the day, you will notice the difference with even a quarter pound. I'm on my third pack (in six years), the Osprey Exos 48. Be careful with pack size notation. If you use an internal-sleeve water bladder, that will take 2 liters of volume. And if your pack comes in small, medium, and large sizes, the notional volume may be only for the medium or large size.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Katie, I had the same question when preparing for the Camino. I had 2 packs and ended up taking the Osprey 58 liter pack as not everything would fit in my Osprey 32 liter pack as I had to take a CPAP machine with me (although it may fit now as I had to send a box to Ivar for storage). I ended up taking the old trusty Osprey 58 that I have used for several years backpacking. It fits well and I am used to it. I did not fill it up although I was tempted to add more stuff just before getting on the plane. I could have saved weight with a new pack but decided to go with what has worked for me. The key thing is that your pack must work for you.

I don't believe that a comfartably fitting pack becomes useless due to being a larger volume size than is needed. I do think, though, that saving weight, if one can afford the expense of a right-sized backpack for a trip like the Camino can be a good thing. For example, Gossamer Gear has a big sale going on for 'Black Friday', and their "Gorilla" ultralight pack is on sale for a huge discount.

I have used the Gorilla for wilderness backpacking trips of 5-7 days in length, and it is rugged and extremely comfortable. I use the Gossamer Gear Mariposa for longer trips, although I did use it for my Camino with my son ( he used the Gorilla). It weighs under two pounds, is very water-resistant (it can be waterproof if one seals the seams with a seam sealer).
https://www.gossamergear.com/products/gorilla-ultralight-backpack-all-bundle

I also like ULA packs, the Ohm being a good size for Camino, especially when you are able to pack light. Again, tough and ultralight.
https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/ohm-2-0/
I have walked 3, six week Caminos with my adult son. He uses an Ula Catalyst on all of them and loves it.:)
However, on his three long distance hikes in the US he uses his Osprey Atmos 75L as he needs to carry tent, cooking supplies and a full week's supply of food at a time. That pack is a behemoth monster! :eek:

I have walked 3, six week Caminos with my adult son. He uses an Ula Catalyst on all of them and loves it.:)
However, on his three long distance hikes in the US he uses his Osprey Atmos 75L as he needs to carry tent, cooking supplies and a full week's supply of food at a time. That pack is a behemoth monster! :eek:

That's a big pack!!! For my PCT and Colorado Trail thru hikes, with 7-10 days beteen supply points, with tent, pad, cooking gear, sleeping quilt, etc. I used the ULA Circuit (Colorado Trail) and the Catalyst (PCT), and had loads of room. My base weight was around 14 pounds, and with food and fuel would be around 21 lbs. Wearing the Gossamer Gear Mariposa with a base weight of 8 pounds for Camino was like carrying a dust bunny by comparison. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That's a big pack!!! For my PCT and Colorado Trail thru hikes, with 7-10 days beteen supply points, with tent, pad, cooking gear, sleeping quilt, etc. I used the ULA Circuit (Colorado Trail) and the Catalyst (PCT), and had loads of room. My base weight was around 14 pounds, and with food and fuel would be around 21 lbs. Wearing the Gossamer Gear Mariposa with a base weight of 8 pounds for Camino was like carrying a dust bunny by comparison. :)
Well, he purchased the big Atmos for the Appalachian Trail five years ago, so since he owns it, he likes to use it. He since has hiked the whole John Muir trail and the Colorado Trail from Breckenridge to Silverton. He carries nearly 40 pounds when he's newly resupplied...but he does like food!:p He is slowly replacing gear for ultralight options. Maybe that will make a difference on future adventures.

Hi Katie,

Welcome. And I do hope the answers you are seeking will be provided here.

Have you tried carrying your belonging for the Camino in your pack, to see how it feels? Maybe do some distance with it?

The up side is you have a great pack. The down side is, as others have said, it is on the heavy side.

Try the hike test packed to go and see what happens. If it is heavy, throw everything from the pack into a bag and head off to the store to shop for a new pack. Once there, throw your stuff in the recommended pack and get it fitted before you buy. It has to fit, and be comfortable, and carry everything you are taking.

Just for me, I now seek a max weight of 10 lb of stuff and 2 lb for the pack. I do not impose this on anyone as needs and abilities are different for everyone. The 10% of body weight recommendation fits this topic as well, highly subjective.

Hope this helps.

I used an Osprey Exos 48. I removed the lid and just cinched it down. I bought it so that I could use it for other hikes besides the Camino. I met a friend who thru hiked the AT and he had a Hyperlite Mountain Gear 2400 Southwest. I was impressed with the durability of his pack, and it was about a 1/2 pound lighter than mine. I think it will outlast mine. Both are basic rucksack designs without a lot of buzzes and whistles.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I used an Osprey Exos 48. I removed the lid and just cinched it down. I bought it so that I could use it for other hikes besides the Camino. I met a friend who thru hiked the AT and he had a Hyperlite Mountain Gear 2400 Southwest. I was impressed with the durability of his pack, and it was about a 1/2 pound lighter than mine. I think it will outlast mine. Both are basic rucksack designs without a lot of buzzes and whistles.
My daughter in law walked the Frances route with my son and me this past spring with her new Osprey Exos 48 (minus the lid) and she loved it. She is a "tiny little thing" and never complained once about anything related to wearing her pack. I was impressed with this ultralight model from Osprey.

I am 5 feet tall and walked the Frances with that identical pack. The key is getting the fit right. I purchased mine at REI and was fit there also. It’s a wonderful pack that allows great flexibility due to the lower chamber (where my night things went; sleeping bag, toothbrush, etc) and the main one where my drysacks went. I lightened up by downsizing my towel, ditching a heavier guidebook and purchasing some lightweight shower/casual shoes along the way. I carried around 14 pounds plus water and never was aware of too much weight. That pack is now sacred and is “Casa Theresa Jo.” I’m going back for another walk in April and it will be right next to me the whole way.
Good luck in this important decision. Buen Camino!

Guidebooks argh... I saw lots of people with their hardcopy guidebooks. I know some cannot escape the tactile feel of a book, but I scanned mine to pdf and had it on Google drive by stage. I downloaded what I wanted to my phone and it worked perfect.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I love Deuter backpacks - for me, they are perfect in every way. I've a small pack for day hikes at home, a 30L (my favourite) and a 36+10, which I use mainly for non-Camino travel. I'm pretty short - about 5'.

However, for this year's Camino, I switched to an Osprey Exos to reduce my pack weight. I opted for the Exos 38 (36L in the small size), as it's over a pound lighter than my Deuter 30L, but with valuable extra capacity. The Exos is a great pack, but to be honest, I really missed the comfort and stability of the Deuter. My Deuter feels like it's part of my body - I don't get that same feeling with the Osprey Exos.

As @C clearly said, only you can answer the question of what is right for you. My advice is to think carefully about switching from something that has worked well in the past. Pack weight is just one consideration - you might find that you can carry a load more comfortably in your tried and tested pack, even though it's heavier than a 'better' option. Good luck!

Last edited:
I recently replaced my five-Camino Osprey Kestrel 48 liter bag with the identical bag in 38 liters. I have spinal stenosis (inherited) and literally shrank 5 cm out of the larger (M/L) torso harness. So, the new bag is nominally only 36 liters as it is in the S/M torso harness size. But, it DOES fit waaaay better! The older Osprey, still in very good condition, was donated at Pilgrim House in Santiago last summer.

I understand about brand loyalty, especially to an internationally renowned brand like Deuter. My affection for Osprey is similar. I have seriously considered the Exos. I like the lighter overall weight, but am concerned about the long-term reliability of the lighter weight fittings and fabric.

We would, I am sure, like to hear from folks who have used Osprey Exos rucksacks for multiple month-long Caminos, including the occasional bus hop. In particular, I would like to know how this rucksack fabric held up to rough handling, snagging in bius cargo holds, etc.

Thanks

Last edited:
I recently replaced my five-Camino Osprey Kestrel 48 liter bag with the identical bag in 38 liters. I have spinal stenosis(inherited) and literally shrank 5 cm out of the larger (M/L) torso harness. So the New bag is nominally only 36 liters as it is in the S/M torso harness size. But, it DOES fit waaaay better! The older Osprey, still in very good condition, was donated at Pilgrim House in Santiago last summer.

I understand about brand loyalty, especially to an internationally renowned brand like Deuter. My affection for Osprey is similar. I have seriously considered the Exos. I like the lighter overall weight, but am concerned about the long-term reliability of the lighter weight fittings and fabric.

We would, I am sure, like to hear from folks who have used Osprey Exos rucksacks for multiple month-long Caminos, including the occasional bus hop. In particular, I would like to know how this rucksack fabric held up to rough handling, snagging in bius cargo holds, etc.

Thanks
I was surprised that the Exos 48 still had a trampoline style back and such cushy, well padded shoulder harness straps. I have the women's specific Osprey Sirrus 36 and am very happy with it, but I did wish I'd asked my daughter in law to swap packs for a few hours so I could see what it felt like. She had no snagging problems or issues when used for 9 weeks, but like you say, multiple trips would be more telling as to how well it would hold up long term.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have used my exos on a couple of weekend trips prior to my Camino. I used it on the Camino for 6 weeks. I did not abuse it, but I did not baby it either. It went on a few train and bus trips. There is no visible signs of wear or snags. I did anticipate some in the stretch pockets, but they did not materialize. I do wish the hip belt pockets were just a little bigger. My iPhone does not fit with a case on it. Otherwise, I have been happy with it, and it is much lighter than my Granite Gear AC 60. I think the exos packs are discontinued and there are great deals on the 38 and 488 on the net.

Hello!

I love the Deuter Groeden 32 ltr. It is perfect for my short Apple body shape and has lots of separate pockets. I got everything in perfectly. It is light to start with and extremely comfortable.

Hello!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Katie I don't have any advice on back pack but I am excited for you. My wife and I are doing France route starting Sep 8/18 . Very long way away but still exciting.

Obviously pack choice is as personal as choosing hiking shoes and one size does not fit all. That said, I would always opt for smaller and lighter. A few pounds really make a difference over weeks of walking. I have a 30L and carry a small compact sleeping bag. Plenty of room for everything I need.

Buen Camino

Hello Kate.
I have the same Deuter 45 +10 pack and have completed 3 Caminos with this. Though, I must admit that before each Camino I have searched for a lighter pack, however I have not been able so far to find a smaller, lighter pack that is as comfortable for me. I'm planning my 2018 Camino and going through the research once again. I tried an Aarn backpack last week that was very comfortable, although not much lighter. And it didn't have the separate bottom section that I find really handy. Still unsure of my answer to this, although I do know that for me, taking a pack that has room means I have room for a big bag of potato chips to munch on along the way :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Instead of looking for a smaller pack - I would look for a LIGHTER pack. It is the grams/ounces/pounds/kilos you are carrying, not the volume ;-) Just resist to fill ANY pack to the top ;-) BC SY

Have been hesitating to weigh into this thread because I don’t walk with a pack that has a frame and I know most people prefer to have a pack with a frame. I carry less than 5 kg of gear and it’s only occasionally at the end of a long day that I ever feel my pack. My back does get sweaty in hot weather but my sister who walked with an Osprey pack said the same thing happened to her.
My 38 l pack from Mountain Laurel Designs weighs less than 500 gm. It suits me but I can totally understand that others would quite possibly/probably hate it. I just went to their website to add a link but my pack is three years old and looks like they have introduced new designs.
However, because my pack is not perfect, I did order a new pack last year from Gossamer Gear. Cost me $50 in postage and another $50 to return it. Very expensive mistake. Even though I was at the bottom end of the recommended height range, the pack was way too long. It was clearly designed for a man and did not come anywhere near to fitting my back.
So I walked again this year with my Mountain Laurel designs pack and it was fine.
I guess the message here is if you are happy with your pack then it might just work out to be OK. Walking with what you have has its own merits. ;)

Attachments

• DE111DAC-3E35-444F-B029-CED5E35F5E6A.jpeg
    DE111DAC-3E35-444F-B029-CED5E35F5E6A.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Thanks
I have used the same Osprey Exos (48) for: one CF (800 km), roughly 4500 km to Jerusalem and 800km of VdlP. The mesh pockets started showing a bit of wear and tear so I bought a new one after that. Same model. I understand you can even send them back to be repaired but I haven't tried that.
Also, when flying, it always goes in the hold and it also went in the hold of the bus from Sevilla to Mérida.
Love that backpack!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello!

I walked with a 50 liters antigravity osprey and I loved the fact that I could access all my stuff which was only half the pack without having to dig through or take everything out. Plus I put a few gifts in when I got to Santiago

Hi Katie I don't have any advice on back pack but I am excited for you. My wife and I are doing France route starting Sep 8/18 . Very long way away but still exciting.

Maybe we will cross paths! And yes, very very exciting :)

I used the Osprey Kyte 46L and it was perfect for me. I didn't need all the extra space but it cinched down quite nicely and nothing was ever jam packed in it. That came in handy when carry lunch and snacks on long days with no real food options. I specifically bought the Kyte 46 because I can also use it for ice and glacier traverse since it has ice tool loops. My regular wilderness backpack is a 65L and just too big and heavy, so I needed an intermediate pack.
The 36L would have been fine, but like said, I wanted mine for a dual purpose. My pack, with 3 liters of water, weighed about 16lbs which was just fine for me.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello!

I used exactly that pack on both my Caminos. It was very comfortable and I loved it. You don't have to fill it up- and in my case, because I was doing other travel as well as the Camino- it gave me room for extra stuff when I wanted to carry more.
Margaret

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.