• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I learn Portuguese or Spanish

April Jo

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2016, Sarria to Santiago.
Hi. I'm struggling to learn Spanish.... I'm thinking of doing the CP next time: should I keep going with Spanish, or would it make more sense to learn Portuguese? Thanks for your anticipated opinions.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Since you are doing the CP, knowing some basic words of both would be helpful. Learning both would be great.

I am sure you heard this before....if you attempt to speak either one, and are respectful to people, you will find learning to speak fluent in either language is not needed.

Many times in Portugal I have been told "please don't speak Spanish." So, I use my limited Portuguese and get by.
Or, speak English.

Thank you, that makes sense. Trouble is, I'm having so much difficulty learning Spanish (a beginners class plus audio lessons) I'm not sure I could cope with Portuguese as well.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello,
Just my opinion...since you are stuggling with Spanish, I wouldn't attempt to throw Portuguese into the mix. They are similiar enough that it would be easy to confuse the two. So I would continue with Spanish.
Just curious...why do you say you are stuggling? Is it the grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, something else, all of the above? Have you tried writing things out? It always helps me to see something rather than just hear. That way I remember it better.
Buena suerte,
Charlotte

You folks are so wonderful.... very helpful, and within minutes of me posting the question.... thank you so much!

Although I can converse in basic French, Spanish is proving so difficult.... I am writing things down, and I managed to "get by" with a very limited vocabulary on my "mini" Camino, but couldn't understand a word said to me... I can't seem to "hear" the words to even know what the sounds are (let alone the meaning!) I know that sounds weird!

No it doesn't sound weird at all. They do speak very fast.
Do you by chance have access to the written transcripts of the audio files? It might help to read along while you listen, several times if necessary, then listen again without the transcript.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Oh that's a good idea Charlotte, I'll give that a try. Thanks!

I have spent weeks in Portugal and never had a problem getting by with English. I am pretty good at reading and writing Spanish but it took quite a while to be able to understand spoken Spanish and even now it depends on the speaker. I'm still studying and trying to get better though.

Another thought. Definitely do the CP if you get a chance. I absolutely love the people, the food, the towns and cities . . . :D

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks Mike for all those reassuring comments!

BTW: Do you recommend the coastal route or one of the interior routes?

I have only done the coastal route from Porto and absolutely loved it. I really want to do the central in September but am trying to decide between that and the Norte. Time will tell.

Thanks for that, Mike. And enjoy the route decision making process!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I also found that speaking just a few phrases in Portuguese was sufficient. Learn "please", "thank you", "good morning", "it's raining cats and dogs", etc and it will be appreciated. If you are finding Spanish a challenge to learn, I would think adding Portuguese into the process won't be any easier. What you have picked up in Spanish won't be wasted anyway because I'd swear that Portuguese is just Spanish with a thick Russian accent anyway. :p

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Many times in Portugal I have been told "please don't speak Spanish."
Nothing annoys me more than foreigners trying to speak to me in spanish :rolleyes:
First, I do not speak spanish, so, if someone tries to speak with me in spanish, I have two options:
- reply in portuguese, language that person clearly does not speak
- reply in english

Do people go to Germany speaking polish? Or to France speaking italian? So do not come to Portugal speaking spanish...

I know people dont mean any harm and are probably doing their best to respect the locals but, please, dont speak spanish in Portugal :p

(Please remember that Portugal and Spain spent centuries feuding and that there is still A LOT of people that think Portugal is a spanish region... That is why we get so "NOT SPANISH" with foreigns lol We need to make a point! :p )

English will get you a lot further than spanish.

@April Jo as said before, dont try to mix them because you'll end up more confused than you're already.
You should stick with the spanish, learn the basic portuguese words (Olá; Bom dia/Boa tarde/Boa noite; Por favor; Obrigado) and use english for the rest; you'll be just fine.

Hi JCLima - thanks for your really good points - I'll take that on board!

My Portuguese colleagues (I go to Lisbon at least three times a year for work) tell me that they used to watch Spanish children's programmes on TV, so they understand a lot of Spanish.

I tend to ask "Inglés o Castellano?" when talking to people I haven't met before in Portugal - though I can say a few phrases and understand 40 - 60 % of what people say when they speak clearly and slowly, I am NOT fluent in Portuguese.

Most people 50 + say Castellano and laugh, young people prefer English and are very good at it.

Honestly, I'd stick with Spanish. It will help you with written Portuguese, and may be useful when talking to people who don't speak English.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Contrary to the opinion of many (non Spanish speakers) Spanish isn't easy. Coming to it after French and Latin, I still don't find it easy. I did my Intermedio 2 exam at the Instituto Cervantes in London yesterday and honestly thought I would cry half way through! My written piece was so embarrassing!

Pronunciation is very regional, my teacher last term was from Barcelona, and my teacher this term was from Madrid. I find Madrilenos very hard to understand, and after 12 lessons of 3 hours I just about got used to her accent. People in Andalucía eat their words (a waiter once said huevo to me and I thought he said guava). The grammar is harder than people realise - there are a lot of tenses and the subjunctive is a horror. Vocab isn't too hard after French, but there is a ton of idiom to learn: you are not late, you come late. Getting up is reflexive, but getting up very early is not. You can joke but must recount a jest. Etc!

But if you speak it, however well or badly, your experience is enhanced so much. I have had a sofabed mysteriously appear for me in a full albergue, and had my cheek pinched by an old lady after church. I have had a night in a bar with a young hospitalero where we mocked the idiotic proverbs of each others countries until we were nearly crying with laughter. I've been told by a Mexican 'You are the happiest British I ever met'. My only problem is that Spanish people are so generous about my errors that I don't know I am making any and then I feel all empowered and blather on like a loon. Non Spanish speakers then think I am fluent, which is hilarious.

Spanish also opens doors to Latin America, so don't give up, and now you've started Spanish, don't start learning more than a few phrases of Portuguese - I think you'll get terribly confused. I am sure Portuguese is no easier either.

My tips are to ask people to speak a bit more slowly, or repeat what they said. Many Spanish people can tone down their accent or dialect when speaking to a non native speaker if they feel it will help. I found this in Extremadura especially, they would put on their 'prim and proper' voices for me! Then they would talk to their friends and I couldn't follow a word. Don't lose your confidence if you can't understand overheard conversations.

Keep trying. Try to savour rather than battle the quirks of the language: there is no word for toes! Your big toe is the Fat Finger of the Foot! Try to get a chance to chat with people whose first language is Catalan or Gallego, or who come from South America (not Mexico) you'll find their Castilian more easy listening. Learn your verbs systematically - slog is the only way here. You cannot, no way no how, bluff poor knowledge of your verb tables in Spanish like you can in French.

Relax and enjoy! So says my Spanish teacher (as she plots a hideous exam!) The rewards are great.

Last edited:
My Portuguese colleagues (I go to Lisbon at least three times a year for work) tell me that they used to watch Spanish children's programmes on TV, so they understand a lot of Spanish.

I tend to ask "Inglés o Castellano?" when talking to people I haven't met before in Portugal - though I can say a few phrases and understand 40 - 60 % of what people say when they speak clearly and slowly, I am NOT fluent in Portuguese.

Most people 50 + say Castellano and laugh, young people prefer English and are very good at it.

Honestly, I'd stick with Spanish. It will help you with written Portuguese, and may be useful when talking to people who don't speak English.

Thanks, Heidi, for your helpful information - and for another useful sentence to learn!

Contrary to the opinion of many (non Spanish speakers) Spanish isn't easy.

Thanks so much for your understanding and informative (and entertaining!) response. It helps a lot.

Yes I have to keep going with Spanish.... and all the best to you, too, with your Spanish lessons!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@notion900 +1000.

I had German in college and can only remember a few words or phrases. Fast forward 20 years and I used Rosetta Stone twice. First for Italian, then for Spanish (Castilian). However, I wrestled with the pure immersion technique and the grammatical structure eluded me. So, I started beginning Spanish 1 at the local state college this semester (Latin America not Castilian). It really helped me understand the basics. The class is an immersion class, but la profesora will interject a little English when needed. I think you have to go with the flow. I know that sometimes I work too hard and try to force it. We have to be willing to make mistakes and laugh about them. It takes time to develop vocabulary and learn the grammar let alone apply them in a sentence when speaking to someone. I feel "slow" .... I am still not at the point where I can think in Spanish. Instead I am trying to translate from English to Spanish and Spanish to English. I do feel like I am learning something and every once in a while it seems natural. I am hopeful that progression will continue. La profesora said it really takes at least 6 months before we assimilate enough to start to converse.

As far as listening, I feel tone deaf, but I listen to the radio in the car and a little TV. The pace or cadence is much faster than I am used to. I know I am picking up more words and the "gist", but not the exact meaning. I am going to take beginning Spanish 2 in summer B. It is an accelerated semester in 6 weeks. Meets 4 times a week. This will increase my exposure. Hopefully, it gives me a base to start my camino in the fall. I think we have to walk before we can run. Watch a toddler start walking ... they loose their balance and fall a lot. They make mistakes, learn a little, make mistakes, and learn a little more.

The class I am taking uses the Vistas program. The text and activities (tarea) are online. There is a lot more filling in the blanks, writing, etc. than Rosetta Stone. I think this is a significant difference. In class we started responding with words, then sentences, and now we are starting to write paragraphs on the test. Baby steps.

I used quizlet to learn vocabulary and verb conjugation. I listen to the flash cards while I walk. I always go back to some older vocabulary to increase retention. Here is a hyperlink to some camino vocabulary in quizlet if interested: https://quizlet.com/linkster3/folders/camino-vocabulario

I also listen to the Coffee Break Spanish free lesson podcasts while I walk: https://radiolingua.com/coffeebreakspanish/
YouTube: Spanish Dude, Senor Jordan

Es difícil enseñar a un perro viejo nuevos trucos.

Buena Suerte

Oh you gave me so much info, thanks heaps! I will check out those links. I applaud your diligence, by the way!

I have a terrible time in France, because I am always mixing my Spanish with my very limited schoolgirl French. I don't mean to offend, but it would not surprise me at all anyone was horrified at how I mutilate both beautiful languages.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
OK -- Learn Spanish! It is spoken in so many countries around the world. It is hard for adults to learn a language. I studied Spanish and French in school, and have studied Italian in Italy (was married to Italian.) A couple of years ago I decided to really focus on Spanish and will be starting my 4th immersion program (in Mexico) next month. It is hard to learn a language, and my work in Spanish has made it especially hard to think of the Italian word for things -- forced in out of my mind. I can't imagine trying to learn Portuguese before the CP this fall. My plan is to learn the few polite phrases, hope I meet people who speak English, and always be polite. I can't imagine trying to learn another language for a short time in another country, unless I were younger and smarter.

I have a terrible time in France, because I am always mixing my Spanish with my very limited schoolgirl French. I don't mean to offend, but it would not surprise me at all anyone was horrified at how I mutilate both beautiful languages.
M

hi Kanga. Your post reminded me of a dinner and a breakfast I had on the Camino with two Frenchwomen: one spoke no English at all, and the other one spoke school girl English, and thankfully she understood my schoolgirl French.... so we conversed quite well. But the other woman didn't understand my Aussie French at all, so there were frequent translations of "my" French into real French! Quite funny really.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
OK -- Learn Spanish! It is spoken in so many countries around the world. .

Yes all these helpful posts have certainly helped convince me to stick with Spanish, and learn just a few polite phrases in Portuguese.

All the best for your 4th immersion course in Mexico. I am in awe!

Whenever you visit a country where English is not the first, or a popular second language, it is always good manners to learn at least some basic phrases, greetings, essential questions, etc. For many years, I have relied on Berlitz CD Audio courses.

I "rip" the CDs to my Apple Mac as .mp3 files, then copy them to my iPhone. That way, I have the audio classes available to listen to whenever I can. On the long flight over the pond, I use noise cancelling headphones to refresh my learning. I listen through the course while I nap, setting the player to repeat the entire course.

These courses also come with the ubiquitous Berlitz pocket book. The audio courses typically follow the book layout and order.

I accumulated the Berlitz "mini courses" for 12 languages. Before I retired, I traveled all of the world. Trust me, when in Russia, South Korea, Poland, Thailand, or Italy, let alone Spain. The locals always appreciate it when a "foreigner" (YOU) at least makes the effort to be polite and try to speak some of their language. You would be surprised at how this sets the tone for any interchange.

In my experience, if the person you are trying to speak to has ANY English, this attempt will bring it out. Using a "mish-mash" of two or more languages, I usually make myself understood, and without shouting...THAT never works.

But, and truth in advertising here, I MUST refresh my memory before arriving in any of these countries. I am a bright and clever fellow, but I am not a walking library... So, both my Pimsleur Conversational Spanish course, and Portuguese Berlitz audio lessons are out, in preparation for my planned travel to Portugal, and walking from Lisbon in a month or so...at the end of April I think.

As regards the Camino Portuguese specifically, LEARN SPANISH, as you end up in Spain anyway once you reach Tui. But, consider the Berlitz-level effort I mentioned for Portuguese. Consider typing up a laminated, card-sized "cheat sheet" of simple phrases that you can keep in your pocket to refer to rapidly when in a shop or train station, etc.

In Portugal, the most useful phrase I developed, right after "good day - bom dia" was "falla Inglese? (phonetic... "fah-la in-glese") ([do you] speak English?). At least 75 percent of the time, at least in cities and large towns, or among anyone under about 50 years of age, the answer is "Yes, I do...a little."

In one memorable event in 2015 an older woman (I am 63, so I mean a lot older) said "no, but wait a moment..." She whipped out her mobile phone and called her daughter who spoke fluent English. She handed the phone to me so I could speak to the very nice daughter on the phone. The daughter explained to the first lady what I needed. The situation was thus saved.

The reasons are simple: (1) English, Canadian, Australian and US TV programming in Portugal is broadcast in the Original Version (OV) with Portuguese subtitles. One can learn to speak English this way over time; (2) English is emphasized in the Portuguese school system; and (3) MANY Portuguese folks have relatives living in the US or Canada and have visited or gone to university there.

I was saved at the Oriente Train Station late one night in 2015 by a 40-something woman and her teen daughter. Thinking I was well and truly screwed as my late flight arrival caused me to miss my train to Porto and almost miss the last train for the day from Lisbon to Porto, I was speaking aloud to myself while looking at he large train schedule display... "Ok Thomas, NOW what do you do, you are SO screwed!"

Imagine my surprise when, in perfect colloquial English a woman behind me says, "Can we help?" It turned out that she had attended college in the US while living with relatives in Massachusetts. The daughter also spoke fluent English. The daughter happened to be taking the same, last train to Porto. Success! St. James works in really strange ways sometimes. That is my point.

I learned this is not unique to Portugal. TV programming in the Netherlands and the Flemish region of Belgium is broadcast the same way. The results are similar. When I moved to Belgium in 2006, for two years, I was pleasantly surprised after learning some Dutch, that nearly everyone spoke very good English. It is required in the schools there, at the high school level. Still, I considered it proper to learn Dutch to greet older folks, usually the parents of our new friends and coworkers, who did not pick up on learning English.

Conversely, in Spain: (1) TV is dubbed into Spanish; (2) English lessons are available at higher education levels, but not required or emphasized; and (3) far fewer Spaniards have relatives living in English speaking countries. When migrating abroad, many Spanish speaking folks trend towards countries where Spanish is already spoken.

When in Spain, asking "Habla Inglese?" I am typically met with either a polite "no" or a "no, sorry." Sometimes, depending on where you are in Spain, you get a more emphatic "NO, Catalan!, or NO, Gallego!, or NO Euskerra (Basque)!"

I reply with a "Sorry, please pardon my bad Spanish..." ("Lo siento, perdona por favor mi mal español."), then I try to do as well as I can.

Spanish is widely spoken around the world and you will likely use it more in future than Portuguese. Consider that fact when deciding which language to learn.

Being able to speak the local language, even if only a little, breaks the ice. It also signals to the other person that you are a person who respects others, and at least, their language. IMHO, it cannot hurt in any situation.

This leads me to the (tongue in cheek) "Ninth Beautitude." I developed it over three years working as a volunteer at he Pilgrim Office in Santiago de Compostela.

It goes like this... "Blessed are the speakers of English, for they shall be understood."

This is not intended as being chauvinistic or nationalistic. The fact is that English is likely the second language of the Camino, and indeed is increasingly spoken as a second language around the world.

If you have done a Camino, you understand what I am trying to explain here. An increasing number of people have at least some English. There appears to be a direct correlation between youth and adoption of English as a second or third language.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have been studying Spanish for about two months now to prepare for my camino and have used Durolingo (free on the internet, and covers basic words and grammar which is pretty good for vocabulary), and recently found a course entitled Synergy Spanish (also on the internet, but cost money). The synergy course I have found to be excellent as it is intended to help folks to "get by" and that is what I want to do. I hate to be a typical American tourist that thinks English is the only language in the world and all should speak it.
I struggle with it as my engineering background and mentality does not easily translate to language skills, but Synergy Spanish makes it much easier for me. I might also add that I am 71 so this is a real challenge.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I enjoyed the first tentative signs of starting to think in Spanish last time I was there. It started with funny word orders: 'gosh, what a dog big!' Then words and phrases crept in. It was so cool and fun! It doesn't happen here though.

Last edited:
Hi. I'm struggling to learn Spanish.... I'm thinking of doing the CP next time: should I keep going with Spanish, or would it make more sense to learn Portuguese? Thanks for your anticipated opinions.
Spanish helps w/ Portuguese and meanwhile has wider use, unless you plan to spend tons of time in Portugal or Brazil. I'd stick w/ Spanish. Actually, I'd switch to Basque, but that's my personal bias speaking. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh i
I have been studying Spanish for about two months now to prepare for my camino and have used Durolingo (free on the internet, and covers basic words and grammar which is pretty good for vocabulary), and recently found a course entitled Synergy Spanish (also on the internet, but cost money). The synergy course I have found to be excellent .

That's great to hear your good feedback about Synergy, considering I've just invested in it!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I want to thank each and every one of you who has replied here: you have been so very generous with your information, and with sharing your experiences. It has all added up to me now having a much fuller "picture", as well as loads of very helpful information and ideas - and encouragement and motivation!

Also I am wowed by the interesting places so many of you have been to!

All the very best for your upcoming Caminos - and a big thank you, again, to everyone.

I also found that speaking just a few phrases in Portuguese was sufficient. Learn "please", "thank you", "good morning", "it's raining cats and dogs", etc and it will be appreciated. If you are finding Spanish a challenge to learn, I would think adding Portuguese into the process won't be any easier. What you have picked up in Spanish won't be wasted anyway because I'd swear that Portuguese is just Spanish with a thick Russian accent anyway. :p
Don't tell the Portuguese !;) They do not apreciate that !

Spanish helps w/ Portuguese and meanwhile has wider use, unless you plan to spend tons of time in Portugal or Brazil. I'd stick w/ Spanish. Actually, I'd switch to Basque, but that's my personal bias speaking. :)
In lots of areas they speak Portuguese like Brasil, Angola and Moçambique, East Timor ,Guinea Bissau .
Portuguese do not like if somebody speaks castillean (spanish) to them and definitively will answer back in Portuguese.

Although a lot of the grammatics are similar there are significant differences between Portuguese and Castillean .
If you have knowledge of Castillean you are let say halfway to learn Portuguese.

If you like the learn Portuguese , find a school were they teach Brazilean Portuguese.It is more doable than the Portuguese of Portugal.The Brazilean pronouncation is clearer .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In lots of areas they speak Portuguese like Brasil, Angola and Moçambique, East Timor ,Guinea Bissau .
Portuguese do not like if somebody speaks castillean (spanish) to them and definitively will answer back in Portuguese.

Although a lot of the grammatics are similar there are significant differences between Portuguese and Castillean .
If you have knowledge of Castillean you are let say halfway to learn Portuguese.

If you like the learn Portuguese , find a school were they teach Brazilean Portuguese.It is more doable than the Portuguese of Portugal.The Brazilean pronouncation is clearer .
That's why I said "helps you" with Portuguese, not that you could/should speak Castilian in Portugal. And I somehow think Spanish speaking countries outweigh East Timor and Guinea. I'll give you Brazil, but I mentioned that myself. Being a smaller language isn't a reason not to learn it. See that I advocate learning Basque. Meanwhile Portuguese is a beautiful (and useful) language. But given the specifics of the original post, I stand by my comments/advice

I recommend sticking to learning Spanish. As others have said: a) you will be in Spain for the last 100 km from Tui anyway, so it won't go to waste, b) a far higher percentage of Portuguese speak English than of Spaniards so you have a high probability of finding someone with whom you can communicate in English - as an aside, the Portuguese seem to be generally very proud of the very old alliance that connects them with Britain, c) learn the few (very few) courtesy words in Portuguese mentioned above, c) try English first and then Spanish only as a last resort and preface your Spanish with the question: "¿Habla español?" and, d) it may, at some point, be useful to know that Gallego, the language spoken in Galicia, and Portuguese are very similar, connected languages and I am not sure which one is actually older.

d) it may, at some point, be useful to know that Gallego, the language spoken in Galicia, and Portuguese are very similar, connected languages and I am not sure which one is actually older.
As far as I know one could say they are equally old. They were one language that turned into two.

A Galician - Portuguese interaction is a lot easier than an Castellan - Portuguese interaction.
Sometimes I'm in websites in galician and my brain gets confused because it seems portuguese. :p

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
All you lovely people have given me such interesting and helpful information - and so many fascinating points of view! Thank you!

@notion900 +1000.

I had German in college and can only remember a few words or phrases. Fast forward 20 years and I used Rosetta Stone twice. First for Italian, then for Spanish (Castilian). However, I wrestled with the pure immersion technique and the grammatical structure eluded me. So, I started beginning Spanish 1 at the local state college this semester (Latin America not Castilian). It really helped me understand the basics. The class is an immersion class, but la profesora will interject a little English when needed. I think you have to go with the flow. I know that sometimes I work too hard and try to force it. We have to be willing to make mistakes and laugh about them. It takes time to develop vocabulary and learn the grammar let alone apply them in a sentence when speaking to someone. I feel "slow" .... I am still not at the point where I can think in Spanish. Instead I am trying to translate from English to Spanish and Spanish to English. I do feel like I am learning something and every once in a while it seems natural. I am hopeful that progression will continue. La profesora said it really takes at least 6 months before we assimilate enough to start to converse.

As far as listening, I feel tone deaf, but I listen to the radio in the car and a little TV. The pace or cadence is much faster than I am used to. I know I am picking up more words and the "gist", but not the exact meaning. I am going to take beginning Spanish 2 in summer B. It is an accelerated semester in 6 weeks. Meets 4 times a week. This will increase my exposure. Hopefully, it gives me a base to start my camino in the fall. I think we have to walk before we can run. Watch a toddler start walking ... they loose their balance and fall a lot. They make mistakes, learn a little, make mistakes, and learn a little more.

The class I am taking uses the Vistas program. The text and activities (tarea) are online. There is a lot more filling in the blanks, writing, etc. than Rosetta Stone. I think this is a significant difference. In class we started responding with words, then sentences, and now we are starting to write paragraphs on the test. Baby steps.

I used quizlet to learn vocabulary and verb conjugation. I listen to the flash cards while I walk. I always go back to some older vocabulary to increase retention. Here is a hyperlink to some camino vocabulary in quizlet if interested: https://quizlet.com/linkster3/folders/camino-vocabulario

I also listen to the Coffee Break Spanish free lesson podcasts while I walk: https://radiolingua.com/coffeebreakspanish/
YouTube: Spanish Dude, Senor Jordan

Es difícil enseñar a un perro viejo nuevos trucos.

Buena Suerte

Coffee Break Spanish gets my vote too, they also do "One Minute Portuguese" https://radiolingua.com/shows/other-languages/one-minute-portuguese/ for a few key phrases.

Even just:

obrigado (obrigada for ladies)
por favor
Olá
Tchau
bom Dia
onde está?

it all helps!

As far as I know one could say they are equally old. They were one language that turned into two.

A Galician - Portuguese interaction is a lot easier than an Castellan - Portuguese interaction.
Sometimes I'm in websites in galician and my brain gets confused because it seems portuguese. :p

Before the independence of Portugal in XII century the language spoken between the rivers Miño and Douro was Galician with some little differences. But this "Galician" changed when the Christians conquered South Portugal occupied by the Muslims in the same way as Castilian changed in Andalucia and America, English in America, etc.
Because the capital of Portugal was set in Lisbon the normative Portuguese is let say a Galician modified by a conquest. If the capital of Portugal was Porto the current Portuguese would be closer to Galician.
Also the current spoken Galician (not the normative) has quite a few Castilian words and that increases the differences. Some Portuguese people call Galician "Portuñol".

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Desculpa I did not want to offend you. It is just additional .
I wasn't offended in the least. I just thought I had offended you (and couldn't quite figure out why). I guess this serves as more evidence of how meaning/intent get lost on the internet :)

You folks are so wonderful.... very helpful, and within minutes of me posting the question.... thank you so much!

Although I can converse in basic French, Spanish is proving so difficult.... I am writing things down, and I managed to "get by" with a very limited vocabulary on my "mini" Camino, but couldn't understand a word said to me... I can't seem to "hear" the words to even know what the sounds are (let alone the meaning!) I know that sounds weird!

I'd definitely recommend adding a written component to learning Spanish - it will help you to hear it, because unlike the French that you have a handle on, what you see is what you get with Spanish - it's pronounced just like it's written.

However, I would recommend, if you're going to learn a few Portuguese phrases, to do the Portuguese accent - unless you're planning to do the caminho brasileiro. Albertinho is absolutely right - the Brazilian accent is much easier, but that's not where you're going to be. I brushed up on my Portuguese (learned from Brazilian accented speakers) for the camino by listening to the Portuguese accent version of Pimsleur Language Series - the Portuguese accent was still really tough when I got there, but it helped.

Some Portuguese people call Galician "Portuñol".
I (try to) speak "Portuñol" when I fake my best spanish accent and mix some portuguese and spanish words ahaha Sometimes is the only way to communicate with spanish people.
Those are the moments when I realise I should learn proper spanish.

In terms of learning Portuguese, although it pains me to say it, people should learn Brazilian Portuguese. I dont know if it is easier but it is definitely more useful.
You can easily speak PT-BR in Portugal but you will have an harder time in Brazil if you speak PT-PT.

But I have to admit I get all happy when I hear foreigners speaking portuguese with portuguese accent! :p

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Contrary to the opinion of many (non Spanish speakers) Spanish isn't easy. Coming to it after French and Latin, I still don't find it easy. I did my Intermedio 2 exam at the Instituto Cervantes in London yesterday and honestly thought I would cry half way through! My written piece was so embarrassing!

Relax and enjoy! So says my Spanish teacher (as she plots a hideous exam!) The rewards are great.

I want to bring another viewpoint to this discussion. It doesn't answer your question as stated, but I think it answers the spirit of the question. And it happened to me, so I trust it can happen to you.

I found myself quickly together with Spanish pilgrims that spoke English and Americans who spoke fluent Spanish. I contributed something to the group, I don't know what, but we stuck together. They knew not only language but culture, we had several great times with local farmers and merchants that any level of Spanish I might have learned would not have encouraged.

I also made friends with some folks that shared no language with me, but we walked, ate and laughed together.
Lesson learned: Italian is the most beautiful language to listen to with absolutely no comprehension.

Relax, as your teacher suggests - the Camino provides. Your open smile and greetings go a long way. Giving up the need to be in control of your Way and allowing others to assist you is part of the experience of pilgrimage, in my opinion. Do not leave your smile at home!

I want to bring another viewpoint to this discussion. It doesn't answer your question as stated, but I think it answers the spirit of the question. And it happened to me, so I trust it can happen to you.

I found myself quickly together with Spanish pilgrims that spoke English and Americans who spoke fluent Spanish. I contributed something to the group, I don't know what, but we stuck together. They knew not only language but culture, we had several great times with local farmers and merchants that any level of Spanish I might have learned would not have encouraged.

I also made friends with some folks that shared no language with me, but we walked, ate and laughed together.
Lesson learned: Italian is the most beautiful language to listen to with absolutely no comprehension.

Relax, as your teacher suggests - the Camino provides. Your open smile and greetings go a long way. Giving up the need to be in control of your Way and allowing others to assist you is part of the experience of pilgrimage, in my opinion. Do not leave your smile at home!

That's a nice thought, but British and Americans are stuck with a stereotype of not bothering to learn languages, so please don't encourage people not to try! I was offered Spanish as an extra at school when I was 16, at the time I thought 'ho hum, I have a lot of exams coming up, should I do this?' I did and it's one of the best decisions of my life.

Last edited:
Lots more ideas to consider and more recommendations - thank you everyone! Everything you have all given me in your thoughtful posts adds up to a much richer viewpoint than I had when I asked my original question!

€46,-
A lot of people in Portugal speak English, they learn it in school. I was totally surprised by that, and relieved!
Good to know a few Portuguese words and phrases though. If you know some Spanish, you will be able to read a lot of Portugese, but the pronunciation is so different!

Thank you, that makes sense. Trouble is, I'm having so much difficulty learning Spanish (a beginners class plus audio lessons) I'm not sure I could cope with Portuguese as well.

Try duoling.com (free). and Pimsleur ( free weekstrial the month fee).

Just a general comment.
Wherever I go in the World I try to learn a few words of the language.
I think it's a respectful thing to do, rather than 'expect' people to know our own language.

I recall my first business trip to Thailand. Just a couple of days.
A colleague and I learnt some basic words/phrases from a guide in the inflight magazine!

I wish my language ability was better, but like many I find it hard.
I speak what I would call very basic tourist level Thai, Spanish, French, German, but sadly can't really hold a conversation. I wish I could. But it's enough to get by with food, accommodation, and day to day needs etc.

I tend not to worry about grammar and tenses. I find that all too hard.
If I can get my meaning across, that's fine.
In trying to learn the basics of a language we can tie ourselves in knots a bit and that just gets in the way of actually trying to speak it I reckon.
i.e. You may have noticed how your language ability improves after a glass of wine :)

If I was walking the Portuguese, I would aim to just learn some basic words, rather than nothing.
Ordering food, booking accomodation, Yes, please, thank you, where is, that kind of stuff.
A little goes a long way..........

Anecdote.
On arriving in Santiago after my last Camino, I went into a local cafe to ask what time they opened for breakfast. I had been on the road for 60 days (VdlP - Invierno) and was used to having to speak a bit of Spanish. I hadn't quite got used to being around people who understood English.

The woman in the cafe looked me in the eye and said in English. with a smile......

"If you want to practice your Spanish, that's fine, but this might be quicker in English" :rolleyes:

An attempt is always appreciated I think.........

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
As regards the Camino Portuguese specifically, LEARN SPANISH, as you end up in Spain anyway once you reach Tui. But, consider the Berlitz-level effort I mentioned for Portuguese. Consider typing up a laminated, card-sized "cheat sheet" of simple phrases that you can keep in your pocket to refer to rapidly when in a shop or train station, etc.

When in Spain, asking "Habla Inglese?" I am typically met with either a polite "no" or a "no, sorry." Sometimes, depending on where you are in Spain, you get a more emphatic "NO, Catalan!, or NO, Gallego!, or NO Euskerra (Basque)!"

I reply with a "Sorry, please pardon my bad Spanish..." ("Lo siento, perdona por favor mi mal español."), then I try to do as well as I can.

A couple of great points there @t2andreo (amongst many you made)

I carry on my phone, a spreadsheet with my planning, that also includes a Spanish tab.
It has my cheat sheet / reminder for common words and phrases I might need.
It has about 4oo lines. useful words and phrases that I have accumulated.
If I have to call to book accomodation, I'll look at this and maybe write out what I have to say.

On the Habla Inglese?, that's a great point.
I usually start every interaction with "I'm sorry but I don't speak much Spanish"
(lo siento no hablo mucho español)
And then ask for what I need (in Spanish) without waiting for a response.
If they speak a bit of English they will often try to help out.

I think as well as being a bit apologetic for my lack of language skills,
it helps the listener 'get ready' to try to understand what I'm going to say next.......

The main thing........is to have a go I reckon.

Echoing a lot of what others have said--

Having Spanish vocabulary helps a lot with written Portuguese--you can pick your way through street signs, posters, etc. etc.

Spoken Portuguese is a different animal entirely. I had basic Spanish when I moved part-time to Portugal, and was totally flummoxed with trying to interpret people's speech. As has been noted, it sounds a lot like Polish or another eastern European language; the sounds are very different from Castilian Spanish, for very similar words.

And, as noted, there's a certain social resistance to acknowledging understanding Spanish. The tension between the two nations has a long history and is mostly felt on the Portuguese side, as the smaller nation and a bit of a sense of being an underdog in the past.

Still, a lot higher proportion of Portuguese speak English than is true for the Spanish--particularly younger Portuguese. They study English as their second language in school nowadays. In earlier times, they studied French, so if you're talking to someone middle-aged or older, you may find they have some French vocabulary as well as Portuguese.

In extreme circumstances, gestures and mime go a long way!

Bom caminho.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back