• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I Leave Aug 20 or Sept 15?

trundle

My plan was to leave Aug 20 but now I can get a ticket on a seat sale for $500 less ($1,300 vs $800) if I leave on Sept 15.

Assuming a 5 week trip, will the weather be much less enjoyable by the time I reach the end of my trip if I choose the later date? Checking weather data, it looks like I am entering more of a rainy season. Also, would I have to pack warmer clothes ? This is supposed to be all about the experiece and weather would be a huge factor for me.

I have until Tuesday, April 15 to buy the cheaper ticket.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The weather should be more pleasant if you leave a month later. The refugios should be less crowded in September too.

You do have a slightly greater risk of wetter weather but this is cancelled by the avoidance of crowds and the heat of mid-summer. Galicia may be wet but then Galicia can be wet at any time of year. I do not think you need to take any different clothes than you would a month earlier.

If I were you I would save the money.

Buen Camino
William

Hi,
I just finished the Camino Frances starting in Roncesvalles (March 8- April 3). I would definitely recommend the later date. Of course you cannot guarantee good weather but I would gladly take some rain, snow (which you won't have) and clouds over the hot sun and the crowds. It was so fun when there were just 5 or 6 of us at an albergue. All of us who walked in March said nearly everyday that we could not imagine doing this in the summer when it was crowded and hot.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We are leaving SJPdP on 20th of august, but if we would still have a choice- we would go a month later (mainly because of the crowds). Weather should not be a problem for anyone- God loves us doing some crazy things for Him; I would go anytime if He'd tell me to.
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back