• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I Make Advance Reservations on the Coastal Route in May/June 2022?

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019, Coastal Portuguese 2022, 1/2 CF Fall 2022
I walked the Camino Frances in 2019 and hope to walk with my husband from Porto this May or June. I loved staying in albergues on the CF! However, M has type 2 diabetes, so I'm super COVID cautious, and I'm considering private rooms.

+ Do you think we should pre-book private rooms? I prefer to go step by step, but am concerned there will be more demand for rooms (from pilgrims and vacationers on the coast).

+ Do you think albergues will feel safe enough for someone with some additional risk? I was delighted to see that albergues were required proof of vaccination, but know that will be lifted.

Thanks in advance!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the Camino Frances in 2019 and hope to walk with my husband from Porto this May or June. I loved staying in albergues on the CF! However, M has type 2 diabetes, so I'm super COVID cautious, and I'm considering private rooms.

+ Do you think we should pre-book private rooms? I prefer to go step by step, but am concerned there will be more demand for rooms (from pilgrims and vacationers on the coast).

+ Do you think albergues will feel safe enough for someone with some additional risk? I was delighted to see that albergues were required proof of vaccination, but know that will be lifted.

Thanks in advance!
My wife has diabetes so we always booked private rooms when we walked the coastal in 2018 and 2019. Using booking.com with cancellation worked very well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My wife prefers private rooms so we have booked accommodations on the Coastal Route for our April Camino. Booking in April was no problem via Booking.com or by directly emailing places. I, too, enjoy the albergues, so when possible, we booked a private room in them if they were available. We also found a number of smaller charming guest houses along the Coastal Route. As May/June should be a busier time, I’d recommend booking now. Booking.com has a very flexible cancellation policy if you change your mind.

My wife prefers private rooms so we have booked accommodations on the Coastal Route for our April Camino. Booking in April was no problem via Booking.com or by directly emailing places. I, too, enjoy the albergues, so when possible, we booked a private room in them if they were available. We also found a number of smaller charming guest houses along the Coastal Route. As May/June should be a busier time, I’d recommend booking now. Booking.com has a very flexible cancellation policy if you change your mind.
Did you book the albergues thru booking.com? Would you be able to share the stops you are planning?
Many thanks

Did you book the albergues thru booking.com? Would you be able to share the stops you are planning?
Many thanks
Many of our accommodations were done through Booking. Com. Glad to share our accommodations itinerary with you.

Porto (2 nights). The Passenger Hostel (Booking.com)

Povoa Varzim. Junqueriea 76 Guesthouse. (Booking)

Esposende. Esposende Guesthouse. (Booking)

Viana do Castelo. Hotel Jardim. (Booking)

Caminha. Albergue Bom Caminho. (Booking)

Oia. Albergue La Cala. (Email)

A Ramallosa. Hospederia Pazo Pias. (Booking)

Vigo. Hotel Compostela Vigo. (Booking)

Redondela. Albergue Casa da Herba. (Email)

Pontevedra. Slow City Hostel. (Booking)

Armenteira. Monastery Armenteira. (Email)

Vilanova de Arousa. Albergue A Salazon. (Booking)

Padrón. Albergue Murgadon. (Booking)

Santiago (2 nights). Hotel Rua Vilar. (Booking)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thanks in advance!
When it comes to safe enough that is a question to ask a medical professional at home and in Portugal if possible. If you want to book in private rooms that would give you the greatest safety I would assume, you can always call ahead to reserve a room. You will be pleasantly surprised how many people speak English especially in the hospitality industry. If you can do it without using Booking that would help the owners so they don't pay a commission and also you may get a better rate and pensions that Booking may show as full are often not because they are only allocated a certain number of rooms in hotels/pensions. Good luck and buen camino.
I can't assume this is true in Portugal as it is in Spain but the pharmacists are amazing in Spain and many have medical training also and can give great advice about up to date Covid information. I would ask at the hotel you are staying at in Porto about where to go to get information. I don't know if you are familiar with the people in Portugal but I think they are the kindest, most generous and friendliest people you will find anywhere. I know they will be happy to help you get the information you need to make your camino safer and more comfortable.

Many of our accommodations were done through Booking. Com. Glad to share our accommodations itinerary with you.

Porto (2 nights). The Passenger Hostel (Booking.com)

Povoa Varzim. Junqueriea 76 Guesthouse. (Booking)

Esposende. Esposende Guesthouse. (Booking)

Viana do Castelo. Hotel Jardim. (Booking)

Caminha. Albergue Bom Caminho. (Booking)

Oia. Albergue La Cala. (Email)

A Ramallosa. Hospederia Pazo Pias. (Booking)

Vigo. Hotel Compostela Vigo. (Booking)

Redondela. Albergue Casa da Herba. (Email)

Pontevedra. Slow City Hostel. (Booking)

Armenteira. Monastery Armenteira. (Email)

Vilanova de Arousa. Albergue A Salazon. (Booking)

Padrón. Albergue Murgadon. (Booking)

Santiago (2 nights). Hotel Rua Vilar. (Booking)
Many thanks!

Thanks in advance!
Hi, I just did this route in September of 2021. I chose private rooms when I could for covid safety. And I did book in advance. Places filled even during this time, and private rooms in particular go fast. I reserved through booking, but they don’t always show all of their private rooms. You can look up places that are on booking and contact them directly. If you work out a daily pace, you can figure out where you’ll stop. This really eased my anxiety, but everyone is different. In Porto I stayed at Sandeman hostel and it was fabulous. I didn’t realize until I was there that they have private rooms. The common area where they serve an amazing breakfast has a lovely view of the river. I’ve attached photos of views from Sandeman. I have no connection to them, just loved the place. It will book up quickly!

Attachments

• 1A93ADA3-E120-45F4-9F85-FA28C1170A85.jpeg
    1A93ADA3-E120-45F4-9F85-FA28C1170A85.jpeg
    1,013.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 987E906B-A9A9-4B4B-BAA8-AF01AE39741A.jpeg
    987E906B-A9A9-4B4B-BAA8-AF01AE39741A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • C037D257-C991-43A4-928D-45A0E2B8269A.jpeg
    C037D257-C991-43A4-928D-45A0E2B8269A.jpeg
    544.2 KB · Views: 24
  • A30BE1CC-F681-4C84-9D4A-38D27650BC6D.jpeg
    A30BE1CC-F681-4C84-9D4A-38D27650BC6D.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 26
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, I just did this route in September of 2021. I chose private rooms when I could for covid safety. And I did book in advance. Places filled even during this time, and private rooms in particular go fast. I reserved through booking, but they don’t always show all of their private rooms. You can look up places that are on booking and contact them directly. If you work out a daily pace, you can figure out where you’ll stop. This really eased my anxiety, but everyone is different. In Porto I stayed at Sandeman hostel and it was fabulous. I didn’t realize until I was there that they have private rooms. The common area where they serve an amazing breakfast has a lovely view of the river. I’ve attached photos of views from Sandeman. I have no connection to them, just loved the place. It will book up quickly!
You can't beat Porto what a wonderful city.

Thanks in advance!
Definitely! I walked the same route in 2019 and because it was in March many albergues were not open. Though, I have to say there were a couple of times when I had to make changes on the fly and it was not a problem finding accommodations.

Because of the additional health risk you mention, I would reserve ahead of time. It will give you peace of mind and one less thing to be concerned about as you enjoy the beautiful scenic Camino Portugués. Make your reservations as soon as possible so you have better options of finding what you need.

Bom Caminho!

Definitely! I walked the same route in 2019 and because it was in March many albergues were not open. Though, I have to say there were a couple of times when I had to make changes on the fly and it was not a problem finding accommodations.

Because of the additional health risk you mention, I would reserve ahead of time. It will give you peace of mind and one less thing to be concerned about as you enjoy the beautiful scenic Camino Portugués. Make your reservations as soon as possible so you have better options of finding what you need.

Bom Caminho!
Agreed! I also changed some things in my plans and was able to find accommodations two days or so in advance. It was good to have things reserved that I could also cancel through booking and still be flexible if something changed. A friend I met on the camino suggested I stay at the Monestery in Poio, for example. So even though it was a close walk to the Monestary in Armenteira, where I had already reserved, I decided to stay at both and treat Poio as a somewhat rest day. So glad I did!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Many wonderful memories along the Camino Portugués de la Costa!

Attachments

• IMG_0694.jpeg
    IMG_0694.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0701.jpeg
    IMG_0701.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0707.jpeg
    IMG_0707.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0794.jpeg
    IMG_0794.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Thanks in advance!
I don't know if this will help you, but these are the accommodations we had along the Camino Portugués. There were 4 of us peregrinas - so you'll see our shared expenses in the last column. Booking.com was also my preferred choice for reserving.

Attachments

• Camino de Santiago - Portuguese Coastal.pdf
    344.8 KB · Views: 35
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back