• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I pack my kindle?

scroz

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte (2020)
Hi - I have read all about the equipment packing lists and figure I have pretty much got everything covered but I still have one question about whether I will have time/need for reading. I'm planning to walk the Norte route solo by the coast, starting from Oviedo, in August, staying in casa rurales/hotels rather than albergues (feels a bit safer with Covid-19 and I must admit I like a good shower and private room after a long day...). I am totally up for having a beer/dining with other people I meet on the way but realise that this year things may end up being a little more solitary than usual. I'm wondering whether people find that they have the time and energy to read or whether once arrived at their accommodation and finished planning for the next day they tend to collapse into a deep sleep. I'm tempted to bring my Kindle but it's a bit heavy and I could also just pick up newspapers on the way... Any thoughts?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After 2 Caminos, I had few occasions to read. There were showers, laundry, an occasional nap, exploring, maybe a beer (or 2), dinner and finally packing up for the next day. On the few occasions I was not sound asleep within 10 minutes, I used the Kindle app on my phone. Less weight, less to worry about going missing and one less thing to charge up. No wrong or right answer here, enjoy and Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Is it a stand alone Kindle or is it a Fire tablet with the Kindle app? I think that, because of the way you intend to travel, it would be worth taking along reading material for the evenings. If it's a tablet or you decide to use a smart phone (I find them too small to be a comfortable read) I've mentioned the Libby app before (that's the GB site not Spain but you get the drift) - borrow from a public library without the fear of overdue fines!
You can't get Libby from the Amazon store but you can get around that problem although it's a bit of a faff:

Libby on Fire!

Hi - I have read all about the equipment packing lists and figure I have pretty much got everything covered but I still have one question about whether I will have time/need for reading. I'm planning to walk the Norte route solo by the coast, starting from Oviedo, in August, staying in casa rurales/hotels rather than albergues (feels a bit safer with Covid-19 and I must admit I like a good shower and private room after a long day...). I am totally up for having a beer/dining with other people I meet on the way but realise that this year things may end up being a little more solitary than usual. I'm wondering whether people find that they have the time and energy to read or whether once arrived at their accommodation and finished planning for the next day they tend to collapse into a deep sleep. I'm tempted to bring my Kindle but it's a bit heavy and I could also just pick up newspapers on the way... Any thoughts?
Personally, I only ever bring a phone with the Kindle App. Less weight, less to worry about/recharge/lose ... 😀 I got used to reading on a smaller screen, the convenience makes up for it. (Imo)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Both can be done on a phone 😉
Yes, I agree, but my six year old phone is carried because my husband says I need to have a phone. I have yet to need one on a camino. We stay in hostals so each town has been willing to call ahead for us if needed. (And since my phone is so old, my Ipad does more for me.) In addition, I really do like the much larger screen that the Ipad gives me. (Old eyes!! need larger screen)

I found the Nook and Kindle apps on my iPhone to be adequate. I usually used it plugged in at the end of the day to make sure everything was fully charged up for the next morning. In our case, we each had a watch and a phone to charge at night so a single 4-port charger on a 1-meter extension cord (with European adapter taped in place) worked quite well for us. Something else to consider is the screen size on your phone and whether it is a comfortable size for reading.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I bring my iPad mini on all my treks (& pilgrimages😀). Lightweight and with a simple lightweight cover. Then, I can read (not much) and write (a lot). And, when I have wifi, I can blog or FaceTime. My iphone is too hard on my eyes and big fingers to do any serious reading or writing. I also use a camera and iPhone for photos. I use a mini SanDisc flash drive and a i have a small Apple SD card converter for transferring pics to the iPad mini to share. Good quality that way.

Welcome to the forum @scroz

. I'm tempted to bring my Kindle but it's a bit heavy and I could also just pick up newspapers on the way... Any thoughts?

It may be dependent on how much weight you’re packing and how strong you are /how much weight you are able to carry.

I see you live in Madrid so getting home or posting equipment home would be easier for you than many of us (who fly in from far away); if you made the wrong choice.
Right at this time , so many of us reading from abroad are possibly thinking like me ? Oh wow -if I could have the opportunity to walk the camino safely now and look around in my spare time at each days end; I would leave the kindle at home (this is just me of course). I’m trying to say I would seize the day. So much free covid induced time at home to spend on screen.

Read through the many threads about carrying kindles and weight. Do a search of this forum
Possibly post the detail of what you are packing and what is all weighs. Then what percentage is that of your body weight? Very rough guide 10%

Keep in mind that everyone is answering from a different ‘place’ based on
-How much they ‘can’ carry / young strong fit !
-Whether they want to finish each day and stay writing up blog. To each his own. I enjoy reading live messages myself
-some may be couples and can share the load
-some may need a bigger screen to see what they are reading/writing
-some may be walking only a short way (a week or so) and prepared to accept the weight load., where over 6 weeks it could be just too much.

Happy planning
Do what suits you
Buen camino
Annie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I never leave home without it . The battery life is so long I find that outways the extra weight , hands down . Before I go away I post on facebook "has anybody read a good book lately ? " I normally get swamped with them so I down load them all . I like to read everyday after I have walked for 30 min and knowing I have best seller on my kindle spurs me on !

"What would really suit your requirements would be this Samsung tablet, with the Kindle app installed. Because this particular tablet also takes a telephone sim card."
So said my sales attendant, to which his colleague, who had been eaves-dropping, exclaimed in surprise, "Really? A tablet that takes a sim card? I didn't know that!"
His reply?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
I was quite impressed.
But I forget what precise Samsung model he was referring to.
Sorry bout that.

Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
I have done two caminos and on both I took my iPad - loaded with a number of e_books. I found that often I arrived mid-afternoon and after a shower; clothes washing and a late lunch I would lay down and rest and read a few pages. It kept me away from the bars until it was time for the evening meal. So yes take the kindle!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think it depends on your own routine. If you usually read before going to (or in ) bed then you might miss it. Personally I like to wind down by reflecting on the day. Also there is always the Kindle app for your phone

Yes, I agree, but my six year old phone is carried because my husband says I need to have a phone. I have yet to need one on a camino. We stay in hostals so each town has been willing to call ahead for us if needed. (And since my phone is so old, my Ipad does more for me.) In addition, I really do like the much larger screen that the Ipad gives me. (Old eyes!! need larger screen)
Fair enough! 🙂

By bringing the actual books, I learnt to appreciate what I read so much more ;).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In my opinion, Kindle is way too heavy. I have all my Kindle books on my phone app, and have Audibles. I listened to books on Audibles before bed but did not really have time or energy to sit and read printed books.

Thanks all for the answers - very helpful to get some different perspectives. I have the app on my Samsung but I don't like using it - I prefer the easy-on-the-eyes "electronic ink" on my ancient kindle that doesn't really connect to the internet apart from to download books (so no internet distractions!). I'm going to aim to have as little phone/internet screen time as possible (I need a break after too much over lockdown!) so am planning to take a small box of watercolours and sketchbook to do quick paintings rather than photos - the plan is at least one a day - let's see how that works out!

The weight thing is the issue - the much-discussed 10% rule only gives me 5kg and I can tell you that ain't happening! But I will have a 6-hour train journey at either end to and from Madrid so if only for that I am tempted to bring it. I suspect it will be a last minute decision depending on the final weight of my pack.

I do like the suggestion of audibles though - I haven't ever tried audio books but I am a podcast addict so that could be a solution for a bit of a wind down before bed.

I love Audibles. Also, your local library will have an Audible-like apps with which you can borrow books for free.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you are going to have a phone with you, you can read you don't need another device for reading. Just have the Kindle app on your phone.

I have walked the Camino Frances several times and I always found time to read using eBooks loaded onto my iPhone using the Kindle app. No superfluous second device.

I've owned a Kindle for years and just love it - use it every day. However, since I have an iPhone, I've left the Kindle at home during our three caminos since I didn't want to carry the extra weight and I didn't want to lose it or have it stolen.

My brother and his wife walked the camino with us in 2017 and he brought his along. He left it behind in one albergue and was lucky that it was still there when he called back. The helpful hospitalera gave it to the Jacotrans driver and he transported it the place we were staying that afternoon.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes. I always take mine as you never know what level of company you might have - especially if you are not staying in the albergues. I find trying to read on a smart phone not the same and then you have the issue of charging - kindle every time - well worth the extra little bit of weight.

You can be as busy as you want to be or have as much fun as you want to have without a Kindle. You will meet so many people ans share so many experiences that you do not really have time to read unless reading is your focus.

do you want the extra weight?

Yes. I always take mine as you never know what level of company you might have - especially if you are not staying in the albergues. I find trying to read on a smart phone not the same and then you have the issue of charging - kindle every time - well worth the extra little bit of weight.
Indeed, in a lonely Camino, which is usually my case, there is nothing like your eyesight friendly Kindle

#17 above ... But I forget what precise Samsung model he was referring to.

@scroz, for all my training walks and all my camino I carry a Samsung Tab Sx. My current model is a Tab S3. An announcement for the Tab S6 is expected before this years end. Models that with a supplementary code "x25" have a sim card slot and that is the version I have. With a 10" screen it can be quite clumsy handling when walking - taking photos, for example. With maps the larger screen is a boon as you can see the big picture easily and you see more of the immediate area when zoomed in.

I also have a keyboard in a cover. All up weight is about 700 grams. Don't know how that compares to your phone.

Apps include kindle and with the large memory adding more books etc doesn't add to the weight I carry.

So @scroz, kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Another vote here for Kindle app on the phone, for what it is worth. I, too, had a Kindle and know what you mean about the advantage of the e-ink and larger screen. But I think the weight saving is worth it and, in my experience, after a while you get used to reading on the phone and it isn't a bother. As well, if you are going to try and limit your screen time, I guess it depends on why you are doing that. To me, reading a book on a Kindle is screen time as much as reading a book on a phone, and if I were limiting my screen time, I'd want to limit the weight I took along to support it.

I am longing back to my first caminos when you escaped from daily life with only a simcard to be able to call 112, no Tv, no wifi, no newspapers except from some old ones to put in your wet shoes during nights.
In 2011 I got the news of Bin Laden beeing taken in a bar in Castillblanco de los Arroyos early in the morning, eagerly discussed by the old men having their morning coffee or beer. This and other news would be the contact to the real world far away.
Pictures saved until you got home, a notebook to scribble down some notes from the day.
I would never bring a kindle, not even to day, if my caminolife would be like my homelife, why spend time and money to go?

Last edited:

lyes. I brought my kindle on all 8 of my Camino’s.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I brought my paper white kindle on my caminos. I had a history of spain, a spanish grammar, spanish phrase book, a history of the camino, the Gospel of John in ancient greek, the New Testament (in English), the Lord of the Rings -- and a number of other books. The kindle was lighter than the books would have been! I also used it as a soft light at night or in the morning while packing. I like the paper white kindle because it doesn't tempt me to get online and check --- what ever. And I can make the font bigger when I need to.

-- I bring a cell phone, but try to use it only to text my husband every evening that I'm safe and well. No staring at websites on the camino!

-- Confession-- I did check the website on when someone texted me that Notre Dame was burning. :(

One thing to consider: you must have your electronics with you / in sight at all times. So bring a baggie or two to bring them with you when you shower. Things do get stolen. Based on this, I would follow prior advice and download app.

On my first Camino Frances I had a Kindle with me. Pure deadweight. I didn’t use it a single time. After 10 days, I sent it home along with some other useless stuff. Had to throw it away afterwards, because the monitor was damaged (probably from moisture, we had a lot of rain the first 10 days from StJPdP to St Domingo de la Calzada.

If yo are carrying a smartphone, you can anyway use the Kindle App.

I carry my Samsung tablet with Kindle app on it. Useful things for our pilgrimage walks: guidebook in Kindle format. Previously created PDF document with trip plans, emailed to the Kindle account. MyRadar. I load the Giggle maps with the maps of, for example, Madrid, while on wifi somewhere, then use it to help us find our way from Chamartin to Puerto del Sol...if you preload the street maps you can track your blue dot and get yourself organized. If you don't preload the maps (thinking back to a road trip here) you get the blue dot but not roads. Not nearly as informative! I have not been successful at posting to a blog with the phone, something about the tiny screen makes log-in not work for me, but I do use the tablet to post so my relatives won't be worried. Oh and if you have a big enough screen to work with you can look at Gronze.

The Norte is lonely in good years so you might want the Kindle for reading.

Yes pack it

We did the Norte last year and I brought a small kindle. Very lightweight. I had never used one before and I LOVED it. My pack only weighed 10 lbs and so weight is of utmost importance to me, but this kindle was indispensable. I did read at least a little every single evening and, maybe more important, I downloaded the norte guidebook onto the kindle so i figure i saved weight with it

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I took mine, and I found it essential. You cannot spend all your downtime talking and drinking with others, especially if you are an introvert like me. Also, I developed tendonitis and had to stay laid up for a number of days - the sort of thing that can happen to you too, or anyone!

BUT- big BUT: empty it of everything that is not in the spirit of the Camino. You must not lose the spirit of the Camino by spending time every day in worlds that are alien to it. What kind of reading qualifies? That's up to you. I, being a middle-aged classical Catholic with an intellectual bent, took the Bible, a summary of the Church Fathers, the Pilgrim's Progress, Saint Ignatius's Spiritual Exercises, Merton's Seven Story Mountain, a history of Spain and a guidebook delving into the artistic aspects of the points along the Camino. You might choose a completely different library. But choose wisely, choose ambitiously, and delete all the rest!

For me, it's all about keeping my load as light as possible. Unnecessary grams (ounces) in the morning have a sneaky way of transforming into kilos (pounds) by mid-afternoon. To each his or her own, of course, but I appreciate where I am on the Camino and want to extract as much as possible from everything that is going on around me, and savor the experience. My Kindle is safe at home. It does not miss me and I do not miss it.

My kindle was worth every gram! I walked the Camino for my 60th BD, and so my eyes aren't good enough to read novels on my phone - needed the larger screen. On the flights, in albergues at night, and during lunch breaks if I was walking alone, it was great. Highly recommend bringing it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In my opinion, Kindle is way too heavy. I have all my Kindle books on my phone app, and have Audibles. I listened to books on Audibles before bed but did not really have time or energy to sit and read printed books.
In my opinion it is the best option.

In 2011 I got the news of Bin Laden beeing taken in a bar in Castillblanco de los Arroyos early in the morning, eagerly discussed by the old men having their morning coffee or beer.
You triggered a whole new world there for me - him standing quietly alongside the old men, nursing a Café Americano, when the long arm of the Guardia Civil taps him on the shoulder. He shrugs, takes a last gulp and bids his compadres a wheezy 'adios'.

FWIW last time on CF took no Kindley thing - too much happening. I took my smartphone and a logitech K380 bluetooth keyboard. Proper typing speed for logging the day's impressions, thoughts and feelings as well as useful for getting into longer conversations with life back in civvy street - on the few times that was absolutely necessary...
cheers, tom

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You triggered a whole new world there for me - him standing quietly alongside the old men, nursing a Café Americano, when the long arm of the Guardia Civil taps him on the shoulder. He shrugs, takes a last gulp and bids his compadres a wheezy 'adios'.
Me too!

FWIW last time on CF took no Kindley thing - too much happening. I took my smartphone and a logitech K380 bluetooth keyboard. Proper typing speed for logging the day's impressions, thoughts and feelings as well as useful for getting into longer conversations with life back in civvy street - on the few times that was absolutely necessary...
cheers, tom
Yup. iPhone + tiny folding keyboard, although I didn’t type enough to justify the keyboard. The sight of a husband and wife each buried in their own Kindle looked a little weird to me. I preferred going down the road to have dinner with friends and yak until my eyes were drooping. And I’m an introvert!

Download the Kindle app to your smartphone, and ADJUST THE SIZE OF THE FONT to suit you.

Lights out at 10pm is a bummer when you are not sleepy – cuddle up with a good book on your Kindle app in your sleeping bag and read for an hour – everyone else is doing internet stuff anyway . . .

Nope, don't take it with you.
Talk to a pilgrim next to you. Way more interesting than every e-book.

For guidance: download one of the good apps to your smartphone.

Have fun interconnecting with your fellow pilgrims.

Buen Camino!
Roland
Many people need "alone time" to recharge, and constantly being with other people can be exhausting for them. Don't begrudge those who want some quiet time to read.

Many people need "alone time" to recharge, and constantly being with other people can be exhausting for them. Don't begrudge those who want some quiet time to read.

I am one of those pilgrims.
I am an introvert, although I like company and I don't mind talking to people ( preferably one on one conversations ) but I also need time to read and reflect on my own when on a Camino.
And the concept of " a Camino family " is totally alien to me.

Trecile, hope you are having as beautiful a day in southern Oregon as we are having here today on the Salish Sea to your north. To your point: we all have different avenues that take us to, as Happy Gilmore would say, our happy place. Absolutely, we cannot judge nor begrudge what transports folks to where they wish to be. Being alone with my thoughts—however wild they may be as I trudge along—is my fulfillment. I'm not anti-social, but appreciate the solitary overarching element of where I am in the moment. In the evenings, I'm as amiable a companion as are all my fellow Peregrinas (os). Or so I believe. Sending a toast your way down the coast. John

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Definitely take your Kindle. While you can use your phone I find it difficult to to read on one for any length of time.
While there are plenty of opportunities for socialising it's also nice to be able to have a quiet read for an hour or two if you feel like it. Also passes time while the washing machine is going round and round. :)

Hello - I am an avid reader. I am an English teacher, just to help you understand how much reading is a part of my life. I thought I would read from my phone on my "down time."
However, I was never inspired to read while I was on my two Caminos.

Pilgrim life is a novel in itself and it was all I needed!
Maybe consider leaving the Kindle home??

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I took a Kindle fire on the Camino Frances. I do not enjoy reading on a phone. I was able to spend a time every day reading and was able to download books from my local library if I needed something new to read. Since the Fire also has a browser, I was able to see headlines of what was happening in the world. There was plenty of time to do the daily chores and visit with people in addition to reading, which I like to do. I did not find the weight excessive,

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.