• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I Pack This???

JJinWI

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 French Way
2022 French Way
I understand that outlets are at a premium at many of the hostels. So I was thinking about packing this... it will cost me 2.6 oz (74g)

1526435267359.png

What say you???

Cheers,

-jj

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks... I do have a charger...

My main concern is that I will be staying at many hostels. And from what I have read/anticipate it seems like open plug outlets are hard to find / many people have to share.

So my thinking was that this device could convert 1 outlet into 3 outlets and help the situation.

Sooooooooo, I guess I'm asking those who have done the Camino... is finding an open outlet (for charger) a problem in the hostels??? And would this device help???

THANKS,

Thanks... I do have a charger...

My main concern is that I will be staying at many hostels. And from what I have read/anticipate it seems like open plug outlets are hard to find / many people have to share.

So my thinking was that this device could convert 1 outlet into 3 outlets and help the situation.

Sooooooooo, I guess I'm asking those who have done the Camino... is finding an open outlet (for charger) a problem in the hostels??? And would this device help???

THANKS,
I never had a problem. Since the charger has two usb ports, I was able to share a couple of times when someone needed to charge a phone.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
One of these weigh about 1.25 ounces, are pretty compact, and work very well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FDCSRK4/?tag=casaivar02-20
Does that charger have those annoying LED lights? I had a hard time finding one that didn't. I charge my phone at night, and I hate those LEDs.

But to answer @JJinWI - I would definitely not pack it. I was almost always able to find an outlet to charge my phone. I bring a 10 foot long charging cable so that it can reach an upper bunk. I do recall a couple of times that I wasn't able to find an outlet close enough to my bed, but I always bring a small battery pack, so I charged from that instead.

If you don't mind the weight, I think it would be nice and kind. Or maybe take one of the ones that has multiple usb ports as well. I know I have stayed in a few places with not as many outlets as pilgrims. On my second Camino one of my newly met walking partners had one and it really helped. I know every ounce makes a difference, but if you find it doesn't seem to be used you could buy a smaller one in one of many euro shops along the way as well.

It's a generous thought and since you already have i guess I fall on the take it side!

Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
i would get take it just in case. Happened to me in the past that i was not sure if i would take or not. Decided not to take it and what should i say i needed it. i was so upset to myself as i had to buy a new one. not heavy, so just take it

I carried a 6 socket USB adaptor last year and despite having a note on it saying it was free to use very few people took me up on the offer. Still it did come in handy on a couple of occasions so considering how light it is you may as well bring it along, for sure there'll be a moment when someone really appreciates it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Y
I understand that outlets are at a premium at many of the hostels. So I was thinking about packing this... it will cost me 2.6 oz (74g)

View attachment 42548

What say you???

Cheers,

-jj
Yes,I'm bringing mine too! There are a lot of pilgrims and few outlets for phone /mp3's. They get taken up fast!

I stay in mostly municipal or parochial albergues and there are times when power points are in demand. Besides, if you find that your adapter is not useful you can ditch it. ;)

If you are traveling early in the season, before mid-June when crowds grow, you likely will not need it. But in my experience, you only discover you need it when you do not have it. If weight is available for 'extras' I would take it.

On balance, it is a weight issue. I customarily carry one of these, albeit the non-grounded type, suitable for multiple non-grounded plugs. Your adapter / tap is fully grounded, hence the single chromed pin in each outlet.

Mine is perhaps half the size of yours and has three 'oval' sockets on one side, and the grounded / round male plug with the sole extra 'pin' on the other side. These are very hard to find, even in Spain. I think mine may be a holdover from when I lived in Belgium for two years.

Plan B, would be a USB charger that accommodates multiple devices. I have seen 'doubles' (2 to 1) in almost every cellular / mobile store in Europe.

The adapter you picture will work. They can be found in nearly every ferreteria (hardware store) and 'Oriental / Asian or China' Bazar store across Spain.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
After you've completed your Camino, you will think back on all the stuff that you took and never needed. Most of it won't be overly large or heavy, just not needed. I encourage you to keep this in mind and, it's not just adapters, it's about life. Leave behind the things you don't need, if only for this brief moment in time. Live on the wild side...maybe you won't find a power plug one day...how terrible would that be? I tried to be off my devices as much as the modern world allows while on my Camino, it was awesome!

Buen Camino!

I shared my 3 port USB (much smaller and lighter) all the time in municipal Albergues (El Norte) on the RARE occasion when there were limited sockets.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When I was in Roncesvalles last week, there was an adapter just like that in one of the outlets, which several of us used and were very grateful for. You might be a Camino Angel if you carry it!

If you are traveling early in the season, before mid-June when crowds grow, you likely will not need it. But in my experience, you only discover you need it when you do not have it. If eight is available for 'extras' I would take it.

The adapter you picture will work. They can be found in nearly every ferreteria (hardware store) and 'Oriental / Asian or China' Bazar store across Spain.

Hope this helps.

OK... Since I'm begin walking next Tuesday... I think I will leave it home. I'm really struggling to get my pack weight down. I was @ 10kg (22lbs)... I'm now down to 9kg (19.8lbs).

The decision to do a blog is costing me ~2kg (iPad, case, charger, camera, cables...) So my pack weight without my blogging stuff is ~7kg (15.4lbs)... Which isn't tooo bad.

PLUS, I guess I can buy one if needed.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

I think it might be useful. I am currently walking the Camino Frances and there have been a few albergues were the outlets have been few and monopolised the whole night by one person.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Definitely take it so I can plug-in thanks so much for sharing!!!!

I am walking the Norte in September.
But thanks for asking. CF
hs gotten too busy for me. But have great memories of it. In 2 years I will probably walk it with my college buddies. There are 9 of us. 6 want to walk to celebrate all of our retirements 48 years of brotherhood together. All but one of us can walk that distance. That will be my 6th Camino. I will have walked 5 different Caminos by than. I am going to let them choose. I think they will want to walk the CF.
Maybe I will see you then!!!! Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am walking the Norte in September.
But thanks for asking. CF
hs gotten too busy for me. But have great memories of it. In 2 years I will probably walk it with my college buddies. There are 9 of us. 6 want to walk to celebrate all of our retirements 48 years of brotherhood together. All but one of us can walk that distance. That will be my 6th Camino. I will have walked 5 different Caminos by than. I am going to let them choose. I think they will want to walk the CF.
Maybe I will see you then!!!! Buen Camino
NICE!!!

. is finding an open outlet (for charger) a problem in the hostels?

Short answer = no - one charger with two USB sockets

If you converted your tablet into one that takes a SIM card you could also ditch the phone

However, if you are committed to carrying a phone with SIM, tablet (without SIM) and a camera chances are you will need to charge at least two of them at any one time I believe your concern is to have one charger with two USB ports that can deliver the oomph needed.

Assume the following draw down for each device:
1.0 amp for phone
1.5 amp for camera
2.4 amp for tablet

Worst case is a total of 3.9 amps. At 5 volts this is (almost) 20 watt. (#) Having each USB port of your charger capable of 2.4 amps (12 watts) is an aspect that, in my view, you need to focus on.

If I can get all my rubbish to weigh to weigh 7.010 kg (6.2 kg without the tent) (*) you might wish to rethink what you are carrying in the interests of a more enjoyable journey.

I wish you well

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

(#) yes I know a 1 amp per port charger will work and will take 2 to 3 times as long

(*) including tablet (with SIM), camera, tent, sleeping bag, two clothing changes, 1 litre of water, trowel, 2 port charger (with international adapter), incidentals and the pack itself

I usually take a multi USB socket plug, it means four people can charge their phones at the same time...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was thinking about packing this..

A further reflection ...

Short answer is still NO

Further reasons:

As I understand the layout of the pictured device:

1) some of the ports will be "obscured" when inserted into a "multi-board"

2) the width of the device may mean the adjoing ports on the "multi-board" cannot be used

3) Uisng all the ports on the pictured device at the same time will definetely mean that adjoing ports on the "multi-board" cannot be used. This rather defeats the purpose of carrying the device.

Kia ora (be well)

Looks like you've decided a 'no' on the multi plug.
I'm wondering about the rest of the electronics. You're choice but it's a fair bit to carry and keep an eye on if you are staying in albergues. I've found just a phone does the lot, email, photos, GPS and I can also use it for phone calls too!
A tablet with a bigger screen is easier for a lot of typing but I prefer simple and light when I'm walking. I've often wondered if a fold up Bluetooth keyboard and phone would be a good combination for extensive writing.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I took 1, 4 port USB adapter which I shared with anyone who needed to charge their devices. I stayed in private Albergues and most had plenty plugs. The munis are probably different. My first instinct says, no.
I agree, a four-port USB adapter would be of more use.

Probably not. Talking about packing, what is a Camino buff and is it worth packing?

A camino Buff is a microfiber tube that one can wear about 10 different ways for warmth, cooling, sun protection, and hydration. It also makes a handy pressure bandage, washcloth, and hand towel.

See the home web page: http://www.buffwear.com/

The Buff was invented some years ago by a motorcycle rider in Barcelona, Spain who wanted a skull covering under his helmet to wick perspiration in warm weather and keep his head warm in cold weather.

Once you get to France or Spain, you can obtain several Camino-centric designs, for example, a BUFF with multiple sellos, and one that looks like a WWII pilot's Escape and Evasion map of the Camino and northwest Spain.

I usually carry two, one folded in each rear pants pocket. They really are virtually weightless and their utility is limited by your imagination.

They cost about €16 - 20 each. There are cheap imitations, but why bother? The imitations are usually smaller and more flimsy.

For a few Euro more, you can obtain the 'new' Buff cap. This is a ball cap styled cap that is made from Buff material. It has foam in the brim for stiffness. I believe one size fits all. It fits my 61 cm head...

IMHO, it is a good choice for the only hat you carry if you are not walking in the really hot summer months.

Hope this helps.

Short answer = no - one charger with two USB sockets

If you converted your tablet into one that takes a SIM card you could also ditch the phone

However, if you are committed to carrying a phone with SIM, tablet (without SIM) and a camera chances are you will need to charge at least two of them at any one time I believe your concern is to have one charger with two USB ports that can deliver the oomph needed.

Assume the following draw down for each device:
1.0 amp for phone
1.5 amp for camera
2.4 amp for tablet

Worst case is a total of 3.9 amps. At 5 volts this is (almost) 20 watt. (#) Having each USB port of your charger capable of 2.4 amps (12 watts) is an aspect that, in my view, you need to focus on.

If I can get all my rubbish to weigh to weigh 7.010 kg (6.2 kg without the tent) (*) you might wish to rethink what you are carrying in the interests of a more enjoyable journey.

I wish you well

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

(#) yes I know a 1 amp per port charger will work and will take 2 to 3 times as long

(*) including tablet (with SIM), camera, tent, sleeping bag, two clothing changes, 1 litre of water, trowel, 2 port charger (with international adapter), incidentals and the pack itself

I am actually taking this charger...

61p6cxjtykl-_sl1500_.jpg

It has:
  • TOTAL output is 61 watts (max)
  • 1x PD (fast charging) for my iPad (up to 39 watts - fully charge an iPad in under 2 hours))
  • 1x QuickCharge 3.0 for my Android phone (up to 18 watts - 80% charge on my phone in ~40 minutes)
  • 2x Standard USB charge (up to 10 watts - for my keyboard, camera...)
  • It does weigh ~9oz, but the high wattages means it will shorten the time I have to wait for my devices to charge.
  • One other cool thing is the plug is replaceable (no big deal) so I replaced it with a euro plug... but the cool thing is the connector works with a standard laptop cord. This means I can plug it directly into a wall socket OR I can tether it with a cord... See below for pics:
  • 71azffh55al-_sl1500_-1.jpg
    61bohdbxr6l-_sl1500_.jpg
Cheers,

-jj

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 3
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Only if your plan involves lots of walking in France, AND if you are a tech addict.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is what I did. No need for extra plugs, just extra usb outlets. My adaptor for 4 usb was tiny and adjustable.

I am actually taking this charger..

Thanks. Specs look really impressive. And I like the detachable US mains power plug.

I have made enquiries and am told it only ships with a the US plug. And Amazon do not seem to stock other mains power plugs.

Can you help, please

Kia ora

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.