• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I prebook a room in Santiago?

Stellaluna

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances -2016
Portuguese -2019
Le Puy - July 2022
Hello all,
I am starting in SJPdP on the 5th of July and need to fly out of Santiago to Paris on the 8th of August. I hope to be able to spend 2 nights in Santiago (that would be around the 6-7 of August.) So my question is, do I need to pre-book? And also, what are some of your favourite places to stay there?
Thanks,
Jennifer (who can hardly wait!!!!)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Twice I have stayed at the Seminario Menor, a ten minute walk to the Cathedral - once in the 'dorm' section and once I paid a few euros extra and had my own room (a very small but private 'monk's room' with a bed and sink. It was nice to retain the simplicity of the Camino to the very end. Not sure you can book ahead, but I think you can stay a second night there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A lot of good places to stay while in Santiago. It all depends on your budget and taste.
It's a cool town at night. Lot's of eating and drinking places till da wee hours.

Twice I have stayed at the Seminario Menor, a ten minute walk to the Cathedral - once in the 'dorm' section and once I paid a few euros extra and had my own room (a very small but private 'monk's room' with a bed and sink. It was nice to retain the simplicity of the Camino to the very end. Not sure you can book ahead, but I think you can stay a second night there.

You can stay many nights there. :) I had booked a hotel in Santiago as a reward, but we arrived two days early and stayed at the Seminario Menor and we liked it so much that we ended up canceling our hotel booking. There is a great kitchen, a beautiful park for picnics, wifi, a small shop where you can buy essentials for a meal and coffee in the morning. Right across the park is Santiago, and an incredible market! We feasted with other pilgrims. :) It was a wonderful end to our Camino. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello all,
I am starting in SJPdP on the 5th of July and need to fly out of Santiago to Paris on the 8th of August. I hope to be able to spend 2 nights in Santiago (that would be around the 6-7 of August.) So my question is, do I need to pre-book? And also, what are some of your favourite places to stay there?
Thanks,
Jennifer (who can hardly wait!!!!)

Hola - you are arriving in Santiago in the busiest period of the year. I'd advise you to book well in advance

John

I'd book ahead now and stay at San Martin across from the Cathedral.

I totally agree. San Martin Pinario (formerly known as Seminario Major) is an excellent place to end your stay. What I learned this last time on the Camino is that if you go to their website, it says they are full. But they are also a place for full-price rooms for conferences, and THAT's what the website is for.

If you CALL them or e-mail them, tell them you are a pilgrim and you would like a room for your two nights, they will reserve one for you on the "pilgrim" levels, Level 3 and 4. Simple room with bath, and an exceptional breakfast each morning, for about 22 Euro. They have a dining room (two actually) and they also serve lunch and dinner at Menu del Dia prices, but good quality food. I've stayed there for 5-6 days after each of my Caminos. They have a large, welcoming community room with fireplace, and people relax, write, check their email (free wi-fi), etc. Just across from the "exit" entrance to the Cathedral. HIGHLY recommend it. Just don't get discouraged when you find that on the website you can't make a pilgrim's arrangement.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I totally agree. San Martin Pinario (formerly known as Seminario Major) is an excellent place to end your stay. What I learned this last time on the Camino is that if you go to their website, it says they are full. But they are also a place for full-price rooms for conferences, and THAT's what the website is for.

If you CALL them or e-mail them, tell them you are a pilgrim and you would like a room for your two nights, they will reserve one for you on the "pilgrim" levels, Level 3 and 4. Simple room with bath, and an exceptional breakfast each morning, for about 22 Euro. They have a dining room (two actually) and they also serve lunch and dinner at Menu del Dia prices, but good quality food. I've stayed there for 5-6 days after each of my Caminos. They have a large, welcoming community room with fireplace, and people relax, write, check their email (free wi-fi), etc. Just across from the "exit" entrance to the Cathedral. HIGHLY recommend it. Just don't get discouraged when you find that on the website you can't make a pilgrim's arrangement.
I reserved online and included a note requesting the pilgrim's rate.
Thanks

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I just booked my room this week at Hospederia San Martin for two nights when I arrive in Santiago in late June and I am glad I did! Reservations have been confirmed. For me, it's just one less thing to have to fret about.
(Also booked a night on my return from walking to Finisterre)
A wonderful tip from a camino angel on this forum! Thank you!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back